• Published 14th Sep 2020
  • 794 Views, 11 Comments

Tarantula Tuesday - Holtinater



Ocellus learns a lesson from Fluttershy about fear.

  • ...
0
 11
 794

Tarantula Tuesday

The entire class shrieked.

“Oh, there’s no need to be scared, everycreature. Fiona here won’t harm you. Isn’t that right, Fiona?” Professor Fluttershy asked the tarantula that was on her raised hoof, who responded with the tiniest shake of her head.

“Yeah, I think I’m out for this lesson,” Gallus whispered to the pony sitting next to him, Sandbar. He raised a claw and asked his professor, “Excuse me, Professor Fluttershy? Can I go to the bathroom?”

She looked over to who asked the question, and gave him a smile. “If you need to go, then you should go, but I would prefer everycreature stays for this lesson.”

Gallus considered it for a moment. A very brief moment. “Yeah, no. I’m out.” And with that, he flew out of his seat and left, disturbing a few papers sitting on desks on his way out.

Ocellus could sense the sadness radiating from her professor, and was actually impressed that she could so flawlessly keep up her outwardly friendly demeanor.

Ocellus herself was as terrified of creepy crawlies as everycreature else in the class, despite being a bug herself. If she hadn’t known that her favorite professor would react so poorly to her leaving, she would have left along with Gallus. But, she figured that a controlled environment with somepony who could talk to animals wouldn’t be the worst thing to sit through for an hour.

Yona didn’t agree.

“Yona try, but Yona can’t!” With it so elegantly put, she launched herself through the nearest wall, which led outside and was, thankfully, on the ground floor.

Professor Fluttershy gasped and flew over to the destroyed wall, expecting to see a disoriented and very-hurt yak lying there. Instead, she saw the tail end of Yona escape through the door to the dorms. She sighed and went back to her desk.

She wrote something down on a sheet of paper, then addressed the class, “Before we begin, I would like for somecreature to deliver a note to Headmare Twilight about the hole in the wall.” Several hooves flew into the air, and she picked one at random. The stallion she chose quickly took the note in his teeth, keeping his eyes on the spider at all times, and scurried out of the class.

Ocellus checked the clock on the wall. Two minutes had passed. She surveyed the room and saw papers littering the floor, and a quarter of the wall missing to her left.

Professor Fluttershy, ignoring the immense mess that had already been made, cleared her throat, raised her head high, and spoke confidently, “Class, today your assignment is to hold little Fiona here. You do not need to hold her for long, but I am expecting at least ten seconds per creature, though you are welcome to hold her for longer if you’d like.”

She put Fiona on the rightmost table, and told the mare sitting there, “Once you’re done, gently pass Fiona to the pony behind you.”

The mare nodded, but remained pushed up against the back of her seat, trying to get as far away as possible while still remaining seated. But, after a few seconds, she tentatively reached out a hoof towards the tarantula patiently waiting on her desk. Once the hoof was close enough, Fiona hopped on, though the jitters from the pony did not make it easy.

The pony brought her hoof back towards her, and let out a quiet little “Eep!” as she closed her eyes and pushed her hoof away from her a bit more, as if she expected that to get rid of the spider.

But, she soon realized that nothing bad was going to happen, and went about examining Fiona, as if this was the first time she had ever really seen a tarantula before. Once she was through, she passed Fiona behind her to a stallion who was as scared as she had been.

And around the class it went, with similar reactions coming from each student. Some were more scared than others, never quite getting used to holding the tiny spider, while others talked to her for a little while, though they didn’t have the gift of understanding that their professor had, which made them short conversations.

Smolder tried to act like she wasn’t scared, but once again, it is impossible to hide feelings from an attentive changeling. Behind the bravado, Smolder was just as scared as every other student.

Silverstream, on the other claw, wasn’t scared at all. Being underwater for most of her life had left her without the innate feelings of dread that land-creatures had for the creepy crawlies, which meant that she was very confused as to why everyone was making such a big deal out of something so little, a feeling that she had all too often since the Storm King’s defeat. But she was also very curious, turning little Fiona around in her claws, holding her upside down and marveling at the insane abilities that this new thing possessed. She was the only one who had to be told to give the spider away.

Sandbar was chill, like with most things. He held Fiona on his hoof for eleven seconds, shrugged, and passed her on to the next creature: Ocellus.

Ocellus wasn’t sure what to make of the little spider on her hoof. She certainly didn’t detect any negative emotions from her. If anything, the little bug was just as curious as the big one. As she held her there, she realized that there really wasn’t much separating the two of them (besides millions of years of evolution, she noted to herself, but those were little details). She nodded to Fiona, who gave a teeny tiny nod back, and then gave her to the next pony.


After the class was all finished with the assignment that was given to them, Professor Fluttershy picked Fiona up, and glanced at the bell. They had finished a bit earlier than she thought they would, but that was fine.

“Now class, for homework, I want you to write me at least one paragraph of what you learned here today. If you did not learn anything, tell me what has been reinforced. That is all for today, so if you would like, you can go to lunch a little bit earlier. Thank you.” As soon as she finished talking, there was a rush of students as they all filed out of class.

When the bell rang, there was a loud pop and a flash of purple light as Headmare Twilight teleported into the classroom. She looked around at the mess, and asked, “So… how did it go?”

Fluttershy sighed, and glanced over to Fiona, who was now in her carrier. “It went fine. About as well as I expected, but not as well as I’d hoped. Three students left and didn’t come back to class.”

Twilight winced. She wouldn’t dream of ever skipping a class herself. “So what are you planning on doing about those who left? Give them zeroes?”

Fluttershy gasped, almost offended. “Goodness, no! They just need a little more time, is all. I’m sure they’ll come around eventually.”

Twilight shrugged. She trusted Fluttershy to run her own class, but she wasn’t exactly convinced of the efficiency of her methods. “Well, as long as you’re sure.” She got ready to teleport out, but was interrupted by the clearing of a throat.

“Um, Twilight?” Fluttershy looked around at the destroyed class. “A little help, please?”

She blushed. “Oh, yeah. Of course.”

Comments ( 11 )

Ever since I watched arachnophobia the movie I'm scared of spider 😰

Gallus considered it for a moment. A very brief moment. “Yeah, no. I’m out.” And with that, he flew out of his seat and left, disturbing a few papers sitting on desks on his way out.

I don't blame him I do not like spiders at all I'm sorry fluttershy but I just can't

Well then that was something So basically fluttershy tried to get every creature To not be afraid of spider Which it has a mix results but it worked out I guess But for me I can't do it I'll probly failed that class so badly I'm just so terrified of spiders and tarantula But this was a pretty good short story

One more thing didn't yona face her fear about the spider? I was confused about that.

This was a cute little read. It suffers from a general problem with a lot of speed-writes, that it’s sort of a scene more than a story, but that’s the nature of the beast.

How’d it do in the contest?

despite being a bug herself

Hmm...I don’t know why but this is setting off my inner pedant even though I’ve used “bug” to refer to Changelings too, as have plenty of other authors. Maybe because before I’ve always seen it used as slang, whereas here it’s presented as a matter-of-fact.

In any event, pedant time! Properly speaking only insects in the order hermiptera are “bugs”. This includes cicadas and aphids. Of course colloquially we use it to refer to any sort of creepy-crawly, even non-insects like wood lice (crustaceans), spiders (arachnids), and so on. Still, given that changelings are four-legged, unsegmented, probably endothermic, and probably have endo- rather than exoskeletons, I’m not sure they should really be considered “bugs” in a matter-of-fact way.

Then again that’s based on Terran life classifications and assumes evolution as we understand it. This is Equestria. Changelings here as far as we know come from bad juju magic, plants, insects, and unicorn bones and blood.

With it so elegantly put, she launched herself through the nearest wall, which led outside and was, thankfully, on the ground floor.

This would be pre-“What Lies Beneath”, then, most likely.

Behind the bravado, Smolder was just as scared as every other student.

Between the thick scales, the fire breath, and the option to take a lava bath, this is surprising to me.

Being underwater for most of her life had left her without the innate feelings of dread that land-creatures had for the creepy crawlies

This is another thing that surprises me, given the plethora of horrifying arthropods that exist under da sea. Especially in the deeps. The Undersea Vore Dimension.

10434389
This is before them being tested by the Tree, which is why Yona is still scared of spiders.

10434391
Ahh i see got it

10434390

How’d it do in the contest?

It was actually tied for second. I had completely forgotten about that, so thanks for reminding me!

I had a science teacher in high school who had a pet tarantula in his classroom, and occasionally he'd pull it out and offer if anyone wanted to hold it. Me, being very arachnophobic, was just content enough to be in the same room as the thing, so no, I never held it or ever came close enough to even touch it, despite seeing plenty of evidence that it was a pretty docile creature and a (very) small part of me feeling a little disappointed at myself for never saddling up and facing the fear anyway.

But of course, this also isn't Equestria--the teacher explicitly made it clear that if you were too panicked holding the tarantula, then you ran the risk of panicking the tarantula too, potentially motivating it to bite in self defense, and since tarantulas do tend to be rather venomous... :twilightsheepish:

A nice little fic though, in that it does get you thinking about this sort of thing and whether or not you yourself could step up and hold the tarantula too. :ajsmug:

This is a good fiction! I love it!

Greetings. Your reading has been completed and can be found here. I hope you enjoy.

Login or register to comment