• Published 24th Aug 2020
  • 1,805 Views, 28 Comments

Death by Ear - ExoticEon



I'm Chase, a twelve-year-old in juvenile, eating lunch with my friend Lily. That's the last thing I remember before everything faded to black. I don't know where or I what I am. My ears still hurt. But that's okay. Lily's here too.

  • ...
4
 28
 1,805

Chapter 3 - Wilderness Part 2

"Chase..."

"I said no."

"What else are you gonna eat? The grass?"

"It tasted horrible."

Before I could see her reaction, I looked towards the rat on the ground. How it was dead was beyond me. How did she even find it? I've eaten meat before, but never something like a rat. I still didn’t want to risk eating it.

I felt my stomach growl. But that hardly changed my mind.

"Why couldn't you get a fish or something? We're right next to a river, you know."

"How would I do that?" She questioned, "Just dip my head in and pull fish out? I can't even make nets anymore."

"What about those berries?" I pointed at the bushes nearby.

Lily followed my gaze. "I'm not eating those."

"Why not?"

"What if they're poisonous?"

"Fine." I looked back at the rodent. "But I'm not eating that raw."

"That's disgusting."

"Well, how else are we gonna eat it? We can't make a fire with these," I raised a hoof. "At least wash them in the river."

She sighed. "I'll clean it, then we'll figure out a way to make a fire." Lily picked it up with her mouth and walked towards the river. I gagged at the sight.

I looked back at the grass before swirling it with my hoof. I started to think about the things that happened. Waking up in a cave as ponies in a forest and everything is weird. That's basically it.

I looked around. Wherever we are, I don't recognize it. I've never seen anything like it. Plants I've never seen before and weird creatures every now and then. Lily didn't know any of them either, so I guess this is new to both of us.

Though I'm surprised she didn't, she spends a lot of time reading when she has the time. She told me non-fiction books tell you facts about things. Too bad I don't get those; I'd probably be so smart.

The adults never gave me books or free time. It was all filled with boring stuff. I sighed. My head was starting to hurt. I'll just rest for now.


I opened my eyes when I heard movement. I wonder if I have better hearing. Or is that bad? I don't know anymore. I turned to see Lily coming back.

She looked very pissed.

"What happened?"

She responded with a bunch of mumbles.

"What?"

"I said I los..."

"Stop mumbling."

"I said I lost it," Lily admitted. I was surprised she didn't yell.

"What, the rat?"

She nodded.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"What are we gonna eat then?" I asked curiously.

"How should I know!" She snapped. There it was.

She groaned in frustration. "I did all that work for nothing. All it did was float off in the river. I kill a rat just for food, but nature was all like, 'Oh! Because you're starving and have no food, I'll take that rat for you.' Like jeez! It's not my fault I don't have hands!"

I kept quiet as she continued to ramble on. You don't want to get involved. I just wait until she exhausts herself. It works every time. Her voice wasn't loud enough to hurt my ears. She was always kind to make sure of it.

She eventually dropped on the ground, panting. I guess she was done.

"Sorry... I'm just... really hangry." She apologized between breaths.

"It's okay. It is pretty entertaining when you do that." I smiled, which seemed to lighten her mood.

We laid there for a moment before Lily got up, lowering herself right next to me. "I'm really thirsty, how about you?"

That question made me incredibly so. I haven't drunk anything yet. I nodded before getting on her back. Either she's strong, or I'm light. She carries me pretty easily.

The sound of flowing water grew louder as she walked in front of the river. I got off and dragged myself above the water. Only to stare at my reflection. I didn't feel comfortable drinking straight from a river. You never know what's in there. Plus, I'm not an animal.

...

I was thirsty, and my throat needs satisfaction. I slowly lowered my head, the cold water touching my muzzle. I could feel the stream moving past as I dipped further.

I hesitantly opened my mouth, the water instantly flooding in. I quickly lifted my head when my cheeks started to puff. I felt water drip out of my lips as I tried to swallow, only for it to go the wrong pipe.

My throat burned as I spewed out the water, immediately coughing out the rest.

"Chase!" Lily ran up to me.

"I'm-" I tried to talk, but the urge to cough was too much. She was about to help before I stopped her. "I'm okay." I rasped out. "Just went down the wrong tube."

She stayed there while I regained my breath. I could see her flinch when I cough. I think Lily worries about me too much. I think it's nice of her, though. Helping when I need it.

No one’s concerned about my health. I guess she's different.

I look towards my covered gash. I can only wonder what Lily was feeling back then. It still hurts to think about it.

It was because of me, wasn't it? It always is.

"Chase?"

I jolted out of my thoughts at hearing my name.

I looked towards Lily. Her face was concerned. "I'm fine."

"You sure, 'cause-"

"I said I'm fine. Seriously, I'm alright." I interrupted her.

I know she doesn't believe me, but she did let it go. She looked towards the river and started to drink from it. I hesitantly did the same.


After carefully drinking some more river water, we went wandering around in the forest. Lily made sure we leave a trail to turn back to. Specifically marking a tree with a stick every now and then.

I kind of wanted to stay, though. I could've practice walking, but Lily insisted we explore a bit. Lily still carries me, since I'll just slow us down, I guess. She didn't say that, but I know she was thinking about it.

I looked at my left foreleg. The leaves were all stained with blood. We should really replace it soon.

Nothing I saw really sparked my interest. I was getting sick of not knowing most things. There were so many unusual plants I saw. I asked Lily what they were, but she didn't know. So, I stopped asking after a while.

The sky was already darkened. I couldn't see the sun or moon—both hidden somewhere behind the trees. Time goes fast when you're bored, I guess. Or is it the opposite?

My stomach started to hurt again. I need to eat soon. I wished I had that rat. Anything that'll make it stop.

I continued to stare into space until I felt something below my waist. I was confused for a second before I realized what it was. I fidgeted on Lily's back, which got her attention.

I said urgently. "I need to go."

Lily looked back at me. "What?"

"I need to go," I repeated.

Her face was confused for a second before understanding what I meant.

I didn't like talking about these types of things, but this was important.

She looked around before trotting towards a tree. I quickly slid off, making sure I didn't fall face first.

"I'll just wait behind here." She said, walking to the other side. "Call me when you're done."

After she was out of sight, I went ahead and looked at my thing. I noticed it was in the open. It felt surprisingly natural to have no clothes on, but it still made me feel weird.

Fortunately, it was just my bladder that needed to be emptied. I can't think of having no toilet paper. As much as I didn't want to think about it, we might have to.

I relaxed a bit as I went. Going as a pony wasn't that different, but it was odd. I haven't noticed my thing until now. I swear I looked there before.

The feeling of awkwardness was still there as I could hear Lily doing something. Knowing Lily was on the other side was a bit unsettling.

In juvenile, we took showers in stalls. The boys and girls were all separated in rooms. Thankfully the showers there gave some privacy. The stalls were lined up, but we had to enter it naked for some reason.

I got used to being seen nude by other boys, but it still made me uncomfortable. I still can't imagine girls seeing me like that.

That was for showers, though. Going to the bathroom was different because the toilets were in our own pods, giving us a lot more privacy.

Right now, the only thing separating me and Lily was a tree. I know she washed me in that area, but it wasn't any better.

"Are you done?"

"Umm... yeah." I shot my thoughts down as I stammered. I looked down at my thing, only to cock my head.

It wasn't there.

I put a hoof on the area, but all I felt was fur. I rubbed it a couple of times, trying to see if there was some kind of secret behind this. Nothing really happened until I took a closer look. It was barely visible behind my blue coat, but it was there.

I don't think ponies do that.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped at the voice, finding Lily looking at me. She lowered her gaze a bit, causing me to quickly cover my private spot.

"N-nothing!" I felt my face heat up, realizing what I was doing.

"Then, what were you doing?" She had a smirk on her face.

"I wasn't doing anything!"

"Sure, you weren't." She stretched out, walking up to me.

"I really wasn't!" I tried to convince. I don't think it was working.

"Are you really really sure." She asked, batting her eyes.

"S-shut up!"

She looked like she was gonna continue before something changed her mind. Her expression changed into worry really fast.

"Are you okay?"

"W-what?" I stammered.

"I was just teasing, alright. I'll stop, okay?"

"What are you t-talking about." I sniffed. I was confused, what changed her mind.

I noticed my vision was blurry. I went to wipe my eyes with a foreleg, only to feel tears sliding down my face. I'm doing it again.

"Sorry Chase, I didn't mean to make you upset."

"I didn't..." I began before sighing. "I'm fine. Let's just... Can we go?"

She reluctantly agreed. I wiped off my face before getting on her back.

Silence filled the air as she looked up to the sky. The moon was up, splotches of bright stars covering the dark sky above.

Lily looked behind her shoulder. "Let’s head back before it gets too late."

I nodded in agreement. I don't want to spend walking around this forest in the dark.

She started trotting back from our marks.


I sigh as I watched another tree passed by. There was nothing to do except look and listen. If only I could walk properly as a pony, it would be slightly more entertaining than just waiting. All I could do is one hoof at a time, and it would take us forever to reach back.

How long have we been traveling anyway? I couldn't tell.

I lazily looked over the scenery—all wildlife, nothing else. Well, until something caught my eye.

I tapped Lily's head to get her attention. She turned to me, and I pointed.

Nearby was a path. It looked pretty used as it cut through the grass with dirt.

Lily trotted towards it, then checking both sides, neither showing where it ends, only to be hidden deeper in the woods.

"Should we go right?" She asked.

"Why?"

"Because it's the right decision."

I knocked her in the head.

"Ow! What was that for?"

I gave her a look.

"Okay, bad time. But you didn't have to do it that hard."

"It was also not a very good joke." I also wasn't in a mood for one.

"Well, we're going right, so that makes it better." Lily decided.

I was about to argue but thought better of it. We did have to go somewhere.

While we went, I suddenly yawned as I felt my eyes drooped.

Lily smiled. "Tired already?"

I nodded wearily when she giggled. I don't know how, but all that sitting around made me sleepy. I positioned myself on Lily until I was comfortable, which was surprisingly easy despite her walking forward. Though I guess her warm fur and mane were helping.

After a bit, I felt my body numbing, and my breathing slowed. The constant movement was actually pleasant. I don't know when the last time I slept like this.

The world around me blackened as I closed my eyes. The aches and pain of my body drifted away with each breath. I nuzzled into the comfort I had before going to sleep.

Comments ( 15 )

I'm really liking this story so far. I hope we don't have to wait another couple weeks for a new chapter.

10429923

I can stop making the pictures at the end if people agree, as they do take time as well.

10432302
No, the pictures are a reason for this story's charm!

I like them too, it's nice to be able to see who your reading about.

10432406

10482774

Glad people like them, as I want to improve both my art and writing skills.

The pictures at the ends of the chapters are very cute. I’m enjoying it so far. Having over sensitive senses really does suck, at least he got those headphones at all

"Sorry... I'm just... really hangry." She apologized between breaths.

Hangry? Whats that, a new emotion?

I sigh as I watched another tree passed by.

I think you meant to write sighed here, as previously you’v Written in past sense, and now you changed all of a sudden

10517008
It's when you're angry from the result of hunger.

10517018

I don't think I need two past tense words in a single sentence. I hope I'm not wrong or anything. Thanks for the comments, anyway.

I really like the start you have here, the chapters seem nicely paced and the characters are nice/good/cute. Overall you really have something going here, despite the odd spelling mistake, I really hope you keep writing and good luck

10517025
Huh, I did not know that. Well, as they say, learn something new every day.

nice good story so far. looking forward to read some more ^^

This story thus far has been really quite cute. I'm glad I read it.

Hey, nice fic you have here!

I really like the story can’t wait for more! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment