• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,735 Views, 34 Comments

Deductive Synthesis - The_Watcher



mech/golem thing in equestria. Thats also human. This will be interesting. Chess Game of The Gods.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,735

Reconcile

An endless white void surrounded me, it reminded me of the animus. No matter which direction I walked I didn't seem to get anywhere. Normally I would be wondering how I got here but I think the point is moot. All I recall is meditating under a tree followed by a pulling sensation and next thing you know I'm here. Getting nowhere I decided to just stand and wait for whoever or whatever brought me here. After a few minutes of absolutely nothing I began to scowl in annoyance....Wait, scowl? As in a facial expression? Looking down I found I was human again.

"About time you noticed, I was wondering how long it would take you."

Snapping to attention I found the women from the library now standing before me looking just as she had before. She was tapping her foot giving a look of impatience. Whatever she is she definitely isn't human, that much is clear from our previous encounter. Before I could give this more thought she broke me from my reverie.

"You have a tendency of causing awkward silences you know, how you just stand there and stare at people. Its kinda creepy. So how has your trip been so far, good I hope." Poor choice of words.

"If by good you mean horribly warping my view of Equestria and making me feel even more like a monster then yes, its been good." I reply with no small amount of venom in my voice.

She frowned deeply and had a brief flash of concern and confusion on here face. "What do you mean? What happened?"

"You really don't know?" She shook her head. Omnipotent out the window, which is a good thing.

"I woke up underwater which wasn't so bad. Quite the opposite in fact, however when I left the water I was attacked by diamond-dogs. I defeated them easily but it was the events afterward that was the real problem." She was making no attempt to hide her curiosity or concern interestingly enough at this point.

"The dogs took me to their den, only for me to witness mass torture, slavery, and abuse. When I saw them whipping a child..." She had a look of dread, as if already knew what I was going to say. ".....I lost control, like a fool. I allowed my emotions to get the best of me... Again... Damn it all..." My voice cracked, losing it monotone facade. As the words left my mouth I lost my rigid posture, going loose and slouching.

"I'm sorry I didn't realize..... Are you going to be alright?" she said, growing closer to me and putting her hand on my shoulder.

I shrugged her hand off and stood up strait again from my slouch. I looked her in the eye, my monotone voice returning with an slight edge to it. "Why should you care?" I pointed my finger at her accusingly "Who are you and what do you want?"

She stood strait as well. "You deserve the truth. I am Athena. As for why I care, I sent you here for genuinly good reasons."

'Wait... silver, owls, studious... You've got to be kidding me. I've been an idiot for not guessing this sooner.'

"...Athena..."

"Yes."

"...As in the Greek god of wisdom Athena?"

She smiled "Indeed. Its strange, at times you seem oblivious and at others its as if you know ahead of time."

I shrugged "Its not the first time someones said that. I carefully chose what I pay attention to."

She smirked "Or you have the minds version of tunnel vision."

"*sigh* Very funny. So you have been watching me to know about that old jab."

"I try."

"Quite."

"Indeed."

"...Could you stop that?"

"I will when you stop giving me openings."

One sigh of aggravation and a face palm later.

"So then, your a god. I hope you don't expect me to bow." Don't want to sound like an ass but I don't bow, not unless they've done something to warrant otherwise. I had already known she was something of great power so patronizing her probably wasn't the best idea but I had my principles. Instead of a rebuke as I expected she just laughed.

"No that won't be necessary. The more I see of you, the more I see I made the right choice." She smiled. As if pleased with how things have gone.

There was something eating at me. This choice she spoke of, what was it for? Why me and not another? Surly there was someone who deserved to come here more than me. My very presence in this land unnerves me, I of all people don't belong in a place such as this. I was an affront to all Equestria represents, all the elements represent.... The answer was obvious, shes already said it several times, she needed me specifically. There could only be one reason for that.

I looked her dead in the eye. "Why am I here? For a... a... I don't know, assignment?! In Equestria?! Why the hell would you need someone like me in Equestria!"

She stopped smiling "I chose you to be my player in a little game me and some other deitys are playing. Its often been referred to as a chess game except in free for all form. Simply be the last one standing and you win. We needed some.... Interesting... Individuals to play with so we chose humans as ample subjects."

"So its a giant chess game with Equestria as the board and humans thrown into it as the players, likely without their consent or full knowledge of the matter, so we can all fight to the death for the gods amusement?"

She shifted a little. "Well when you put it like that you make it sound bad..."

I gave her the best deadpan I had. 'Good god or whatever I'm supposed to pay to now, this is more like the hunger games than I thought.'

"Its not so bad. The pieces, well most of them anyway, have the freedom to do whatever they want including you. You play our game just by living and you don't need to go around killing each other. Besides, by last one standing I didn't so much mean the one to kill all others as much as I meant the last one left alive." She gave a vicious grin.

'Now that doesn't sound good at all. I'm sure that in no way foreshadows the future.'

I should be annoyed or humble but I was just angry instead. Athena was turning out to be one hell of a bitch. "What makes you think I'll play my role? Whats keeping me from going out to some wilderness somewhere and disappearing?"

"You are. Whether you like it of not the game has begun. Will you standby while Equestria burns? I chose you because regardless of whether you like me or not your going to do what I want and that is get involved. You always had a talent for ending up in the middle of things back on earth."

'Damn. Cleaver girl.'

Suddenly her face softened "Your not the only one who's angry. Personally I like this world and I don't want to see it in flames. If I told you the truth back on earth would you have done things differently? I know you better than you think, you wouldn't be able to standby and let this happen regardless. I get a chance for power and you get to protect them, just like you always do, like your meant to. I can't tell you much but many of the other pieces are much younger than you and have little experience killing. They are strong but they need someone from their world, someone who understands why they love it here so much. Why many never want to go back."

She closed the distance between us and put her hand back on my shoulder. It somehow felt warm and cold at the same time, like that feeling of hot tea after a walk in a blizzard. "Many of them won't make it through this alive. Bad things are going to happen, very bad, Equestria won't make it on its own and that's a fact. If not for me then please, protect this world. They don't deserve whats happened to them. We are a little late in this game so you got a lot of work ahead of you." The look in her eye. She was being sincere. Or was a really good at faking emotions.

I finally broke eye contact, looking at my feet. Was she telling the truth? What if shes lying to manipulate me? And what if she wasn't? Could I take that chance?

"So what do you say Sargent Major?" She asked in a hushed voice that reminded me of Fluttershy. "Ready to get back in the fight?" she held out her other hand.

I looked up to see her eyes where watery, her once rigged posture was now slouched and loose. Her stone mask had give away to one of exhaustion and her perfection had left her, she looked positively ancient at that moment. She had a look of sadness, begging me with her eyes. 'I guess.... Twilight really is best pony...'

I reached out and took her hand "That is one thing we can agree on. I'll do whatever It takes." She smiled and a silver light started to envelope me once more. She let go of my hand and turned, starting to walk away. Before I interrupted her that is.

"Oh and one more thing."

"Hmm?" she gave me a quizzical look as she glanced at me.

I got the biggest grin I've had in a while, my jaw ached for not doing it in so long, and leveled my eyes with what I figured was a mischievous look. "Applejack is best pony."

Before she could reply the mist finished engulfing me and I was gone in a flash.

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

It was like someone had set off a flash-bang at first but without the ringing. Everything slowly came into focus and I found I was back under the tree. As my hearing came back I could faintly hear what sounded like screaming. As things got clearer I realized that whatever was screaming was close, very close. I turned to my right to see the culprit, a foal screaming like a banshee looking at me with wide eyes. It was too dark and still kinda blurry to make out many details. Rustling came from a nearby bush as a stallion and two mares stepped out.

"Quite down Twitch whats th-...BY CELESTIA'S BEARD ITS THE MONSTER!!!"

'Evidently pipes run in the family. Celestia's beard? I wasn't aware of this...'

All four ran off screaming like the foal before I could even get a word in. They where headed for the camp.

'Well they didn't black out so its not my worst first impression. Why can't things ever be easy?'

I made my way to camp where I could hear those four doing a good impression of Paul Revere. I looked out from behind a tree to see the entire camp was awake now looking around frantically. They formed a defensive circle around the foals which were huddled together in the center. Each and every one looked terrified. Many where wielding the recovered weapons from the D-Dogs, which where shaking loosely in their grasp in all but a few. I'll figure out how the hell they were holding them latter, for now I had other problems. Those few seemed to be the most experienced of the group, noticeably calmer and more sure in their stance. I decided to end their search.

I waked out of cover of the tree and made my way towards the group. They all froze and I could feel all their gazes lock onto me as I approached. Amusingly many dropped their weapons. I wasn't even sure they were breathing, they all had the "deer in headlights" look to them. 'I wonder if they might tip over like goats...Wait goats are sentient here so did I just insult them? There is that headache again.'

I stopped a couple of feet away in my usual manner. They were all still standing still and all of the original four had stopped screaming. Well all but one at least....

"Breath boy!" I said to the foal. Who immediately inhaled for a good five seconds and fell flat on his face. Everyone was looking at him now.

"Did he just... Black out from lack of oxygen?" I asked no one in particular.

"Eeyup." Replied one of the guards. He said it in a dead on impression of Big Mac. He had a dull red coat and was a bit taller then those around him. He had a lime green mane with rust colored eyes with a plow for a cutie mark. I wonder....

"You wouldn't happen to be an apple would you?"

His eyes snapped open as his head swiveled back to me so fast I was worried he'd break his neck and had a look of absolute shock. He babbled trying to find words for a minute. "You know ma' kin?"

"I owe some of em' favors." I lied, well sorta... I miss the farm....

He narrowed his eyes. "Is that so?" He and the mare to his left approached me, circling me giving me what must have been a once over. After a quick inspection he and the mare looked satisfied and both suddenly got huge grins.

"Well you don't talk like ah monster and anyone whose a friend of an apple is ah friend of mine. My names Jonathan Apple and this is ma' Wife, Golden Delicious." he gestured to the mare. She had a golden coat and a vibrant brown mane. Her eyes were an emerald green and she had an apple with a dollar sign in it as a cutie mark.

"Ma'am." I held out my hand which she quickly took and shook it with surprising strength. Her hooves were oddly soft and flexible, strangely it felt like she was somehow griping my hand.

"Its a pleasure dear. Thanks for saving us back there, we thought we would never get out. We didn't think it would so that..."

"Brutal?"

She nodded wearily.

"I'm sorry for that, the place I came from isn't very... friendly. I'm usually much more controlled but when I saw that child being whipped... To harm a child is unforgivable wherever your from." She had a look of sympathy nodding. "How is she? And the others?"

The foal in question was still in the hooves of her parents, both looking at me with gratitude. "She and the other foals are fine thanks to you." said Golden. "We're all a little beat up, some more than others, but none of us have much medical experience so we don't know just how bad off we are. Old Yeller has had bad stomach aches and has been throwing up. Same with a few others but not as bad."

"I've got medical experience..." I added. I worked with horses before and worked for some time as a vet part time but somehow I doubt this qualified. The whole groups faces lit up at that. All their fear of me just seemed to vanish, unnervingly so. The look they were giving me now was kinda creepy.

"Oh thank Celestia, your a doctor!? Everypony move he needs to get to the sick and injured!" Jonathan cut a path strait through the crowd like a bulldozer, moving ponies aside. Plow indeed. Golden Delicious half lead, half dragged me after him. We came upon a group of around seven ponies and a griffin laying on the ground, all looking miserable clutching their midsections. There was also some ponies and griffins with lacerations of varying size on their bodies.

I crouched down to one with a foal holding his hoof, the foal was looking at me with pleading eyes. I went through the basics, checking his pulse, his breathing, his eyes, and temperature using what techniques I had available. Nothing raised any red flags.

"What was he doing prior to this happening?" I asked one of the improve nurses.

"He was out with a few others looking for food. They came back with a few things but nothing poisonous, we knew all the plants. A while later he threw up and started acting like this."

Hmm... "Did you all eat much in the caves?" Stupid question. They were all skin and bones.

"No. We got very little to eat, we gave most of it to the children." I nodded in approval.

"Alright, you are all heavily emaciated and dehydrated. You need to watch how much you eat, ease yourself into it. Your bodies aren't used to that much food or water so fast, your digestive tracts have mostly shut down so you need to take tiny sips of water very frequently and never eat move than half an apple of food mass at any time, at least till you stomachs recover. These ponies ate too much too quickly, there is nothing really we can do but they will recover, just make sure you make them take a sip of water every couple of minutes." She saluted, funnily enough, and relayed the instructions to the others.

Moving on to the ones with cuts it was evident they needed some work done, none of the injures were immediately fatal but would become a serious problem if left unchecked or worse, infected.

"Do we have a needle and string?" They all shook their heads, figures. "How about some rope?"

Golden approached. "Yes but not much, only a few meters. What do you plan to do?" She asked while handing me the rope.

"That should be enough. See if you can find me something like a needle, if not a pine needle may suffice. I'll also need water, some clean cloth and a fire for starters." The ponies set to work with my requests, getting what cloth they could and placing it next to me as I unraveled the rope into increasingly smaller threads. They built a small fire next to me by transferring flames from the already lit one and by the time they returned the fire was roaring and I was done with the rope. We ended up using a small pegasus feather as a needle once it was sharpened, it was shockingly effective.

I grabbed the needle and decided to experiment. I stuck my hand into the fire with the needle, sterilizing it with heat. My faint blue shields flared in the fire, dancing with the flames as the two seemed to intertwine like luminescent smoke in a display of intrigue and beauty. I attracted quite a few onlookers from the display, as I pulled my hand back before the magic feather, which was surprisingly resistant to heat and cold, burned while my hand seemed to be totally unaffected. The first patent was moved to me as I threaded the rope strand through the feather. After a moments hesitation to get my bearings I began my work as others watched with grimaces on their faces. It wasn't pretty, many struggled as I sowed them up like holes in clothing, using the water and cloth to clean the wounds before hand and the obvious lack of painkillers was all too evident to the afflicted. Some were already infected from the filth that covered them all, those were particularly horrific. I proceeded none the less ignoring their screams and protests, they would thank me later when they were still alive.

I finished quickly, wanting to get this over with. By the end I was covered in blood from the elbows down and mentally exhausted from focusing on the work. Everyone would live though so I would just have to deal with it. After a quick trip back to the river to clean myself, I sat down next to my medical fire wishing I could fall asleep after all that. The camps residents were still hesitant but in time they grew somewhat used to my presence by the fire, they still avoided me if they could help it. After a while I had that itch that I needed to be doing something so I started to gather wood and other materials. When I came back with logs instead of sticks, I started to get strange looks. eventually they talked to Golden to ask what I was doing.

"Umm... hun? What are ya planning to do with those?" She asked as I lashed two logs together with a strong vine I found.

"I'm fortifying the position with barricades."

"Why? Is something after us?" she looked worried. I finished the final knot to the second barricade and moved on to the third.

"No. Not that I'm aware of." Vine here, wedge here and a knot here, repeat. Three done, four to go.

She looked slightly confused "Then why?"

"Its reflexive and it makes me feel better that's why." I said in a slightly angry voice. I stopped for a second when I realized how much more forceful that sounded than I meant it to.

"Well no need to get snippy." She said with a huff.

"Sorry, that wasn't my intention." I continued with my work. I now had five improve wooden barricades ready.

She got a concerned look "Well don't tire yourself out. You need to loosen up a little sonny. It can't be healthy to be so worked up all the time." I stopped what I was doing and looked up as she walked away, she looked over her shoulder and met my eyes. "Just take care of yourself you hear."

I watched her trot away back to the camp, she was in no hurry. I saw the smiles as all the ponies talked to each other, how they laughed and sang despite everything. The griffins arm wrestling and the ponies telling stories by the fire. The foals and some young griffins playing tag while the parents watched on the sidelines. I saw those who where sick and injured now standing and mingling with the crowd who where showing their concern. I saw too griffins holding each other close, one draping his wing over the other, just looking happy to be alive. I saw Golden give Jonathan a hug when she got back and then sit down by his side. I saw all the happy faces.

I had sat down unconsciously as I watched them all and failed to notice the foal approaching until she was right at my side. She was a deep brown like the look of old trees with a long curly verdant green mane, she was looking up at me with electric green eyes that seemed to glow, they looked so familiar. Then it hit me, they looked just like mine when I was young and full of life. There was only curiosity in her eyes as she looked at me, we held our gaze at each others eyes for a long time, I wasn't sure how long. It felt like we were searching for something in each other, I spoke yet It felt like the silence between us was never disturbed.

"Hello little one."

"I'm not small. I'm just shorter than most fillies." She pouted in a soft, honey like voice.

"Of course."

"..."

"..."

"Thanks for helping us." She said as she looked down and drew circles in the dirt with her hoof.

"...There was nothing else I could of done."

She smiled. One of those health endangeringly adorable smiles.

"Where are your parents not so little one?" I said in a slightly comical voice. "Aren't they worried about you?"

Her smile immediately fell. She sagged and tears started to form in her eyes. I'd just make a huge mistake and I felt like a total inconsiderate ass because of it. I had seen glimpses of her but never anyone near her, I'd never seen her parents but I assumed they were just doing something else. I was reminded about that snarky saying about assuming.

"T-t-they... T-they a-a-are.... T-t-the d-diamond-dogs..." She broke down on the wavy grass crying silent tears, shaking but letting nob-... err... nopony hear her. It was one of the single most heart wrenching things I've ever seen.

I pulled her in and held her close, just to let her know I was here. Her shaking slowly went away as I held her, kids shouldn't have to lose so much at such an age. I knew all to well what she was feeling.

"shh... shh... Its alright, I'm here. Your not alone. Let it out." we sat there like that until dusk, night had begun to fall as the nocturnal creatures woke. The crickets were chirping and the faint hoot of an owl echoed off the trees. The camp had layed down and retired for the day except for a few sentries, all congregating by the fire inside my little barricades. The quite snores could be heard from the group and for a time I had thought the little filly in my arms had fallen asleep as well until she spoke.

"Your warm."

"Heh... I guess I am."

She looked up at me with those big eyes of hers, still a bit moist from crying.

"My name is Flora. Whats yours mister?"

'New life, new world, new name.'

"I, my little Flora, am Epsilon."

"*sniff* That's a funny name."

"Everyone's a critic." She giggled at my little joke. It made me feel... strange. A good kind of strange.

She whispered my name as she closed her eyes, and fell asleep in my arms.

Comments ( 14 )

Nice!!!

D'awww soon cute I really like this chapter keep up the good work :twilightsmile:
And I have a question how long did it take for your story to be submitted to the group because I had submitted mine and its been like 3 months or so but just asking

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

AHHHHHHH ITS SO CUTE!!!!!!
How are writers so good at making cute stuffs? HNNNNNNNNG THAT WAS SO CUTE! AGH!

Sorry about that. He gets a little overactive if something of that magnitude of cuteness is fired at his brain. Anyways, a translation is order. "My good man, your story is magnificent. You had better be continuing this, as it seems very promising. I will be watching you."

1773249 You have like...err... ASKED one of the moderators right? I went through a lot of planning to get in.

1773923Sorry but I submitted a story and its been like three months and nobody has sent me anything so I was just curious :twilightsheepish:

I almost died of over exposure to adorableness at the end. Amazing chapter! :yay:

Awesome work, keep it up :twilightsmile:

I've got a remark to make
You are using Athene as Game Master
And Athene is already being used in the canon-story "Myou've gotta be kidding me"n:twilightoops:
So if you are aiming for canon, look into this.
If not, then canter on with your work :twilightsmile:
-besovti

1960277
.....What!?!
Why hasn't anyone told me this sooner!?
Commencing revision.

Luckily I spotted this early, would have become quite the problem if left continued
Anyways, Good luck on the (small?) revision.
-besovti-

1960351
Ya, it may not appear far along but I'm one of those writers who plans WAY ahead. This will take more than a little alteration.

Login or register to comment