• Published 15th Jul 2020
  • 1,362 Views, 4 Comments

Fractured Friendship - Electric Aura



Twilight and Rainbow lose a friend, and it's their fault.

  • ...
0
 4
 1,362

The Last Chapter

Author's Note:

Written for N.

Present Day

Twilight Sparkle laid in bed, Rainbow Dash snuggled up at her side napping. After a long week of exams and late night study sessions she wasn't used to, the colorful girl deserved it. The girl with glasses on the other hand was wide awake and scrolling through her phone, looking but not really seeing what scrolled past. She wanted to scream into her pillow, or throw her phone out the window, but she didn't want to disturb her sleeping girlfriend with an emotional outburst.

Eventually the scrolling stopped as Twilight hit the bottom of the text conversation with Applejack. The last text from her was a single word, "goodbye." It hadn't changed in over a month, just that single word lingered at the bottom of the conversation history. A tightness formed in Twilight's chest as she stared with unseeing eyes, it still hurt reading that message. It hurt even more passing Applejack in the halls at school like they were complete strangers, their shared history together now meaningless.


6 weeks earlier

Twilight and Rainbow had begun dating in secret nearly as soon the nerdy girl had transferred from Crystal Prep to Canterlot High. She became infatuated with the brash athlete, while Rainbow found her new classmate adorably awkward. It had taken far too long, but finally they felt confident enough to tell their friends. Rarity and Pinkie Pie had quickly caught on, but with some pinkie promises, both had kept it a secret from the others. And so, after band practice, the couple asked everyone to stay a few minutes longer, promising it to keep things short.

Both Twilight and Rainbow had been putting this off over and over, Rainbow afraid of the repercussions of telling Applejack, and Twilight reluctantly agreeing to stay quiet. Applejack had admitted feelings to Dash months earlier, only to be gently let down by the athlete without a clear reason. Now the truth was going to be told, and the couple were worried how the farmer might react. Even with friends surrounding her, Rainbow was clearly apprehensive about going forward.

Sunset spoke up from the grand piano where she sat lazily strumming her guitar. "Well? What's going on, Dash looks like she's about to hurl."

An audible "Ick." Left Rarity at that comment.

"Yeah, what's the up, Dashie?" Pinkie piped up, though a sly grin told Twi and Dash she knew what was up.

Twilight opened her mouth to speak, but suddenly Rainbow seemed to get the burst of confidence she needed and cut off her girlfriend. "Twilight and I are a thing! Like… A relationship thing, girlfriends!" The moment the words left her mouth the usually brash girl was blushing furiously, with Twilight's own blush matching. There was a pause that seemed to last forever, their hearts pounding in their ears before Sunset finally broke the silence.

"I knew it!" The fiery haired girl quickly shrank back when everyone looked at her. "Uhhh, I mean, congrats? I totally knew something was up though, I mean since when does Dash actually study?"

"Hey! I study!" Dash shot back with a scowl.

"Yeah, with Twilight, alone." Sunset gave a knowing look in their direction and winked, causing the two girls to blush.

Rarity tossed her hair over her shoulder. "You weren't the only one to know darling, it was glaringly obvious."

"Yeah! I knew too! I knew too!" Pinkie bounced over and waved her arms around in front of them.

Fluttershy quietly spoke up, just enough to be heard. "Oh, uhm, I didn't know, if that makes you feel better."

Dash gave a reassuring smile to her childhood friend. "It's okay Shy, no biggie if you did."

Twilight noticed a person missing from the room, Applejack had disappeared at some point without anyone noticing. She leaned and whispered into Dash's ear. "Applejack left… I don't think she took it well."

Twilight swore she saw Rainbow's face pale.


A few hours later

After receiving congratulations from the girls, and a little light-hearted ribbing from Sunset about the 'study sessions,' Twilight was home. She had been messaging Dash since leaving school, discussing what to do about Applejack leaving without a word.

RD: She's messaging me right now… She's not happy with us.

TS: I'm sorry I kept pushing you to tell everyone.

RD: Don't be, it had to happen eventually, I just shouldn't have put it off for so long.

TS: I love you, let me know what happens.

RD: Love you too, I will.

Twilight backed out of the conversation window returning to her inbox, and tapped on her conversation with Applejack. Quick to try and save her girlfriend from even more berating by Applejack, she typed out a fast message and hit send.

TS: You can be upset with me too you know.

AJ: You lied to me.

TS: We've been a thing for over a year now, we should've said something, waiting was a mistake.

AJ: You lied to me, both of you, I don't wanna see y'all ever again.

TS: I guess we can do that.

AJ: Have a nice life together.

AJ: Goodbye.

TS: It was nice knowing you. Goodbye Applejack.

Twilight stared for a few seconds at the message she had sent and sighed. She was unsure what else she could say, really hoping it wasn't the last conversation they'd ever have.


Present Day

Twilight stared at the last message Applejack had sent. She wanted to cry, they were supposed to be friends, and now they were nothing. The only thing she could do was ask the girls how Applejack was doing, if she was okay, if she was getting better. Additionally the rest of her and Dash's relationships were strained, no longer could they all sit together at lunch, no sleepovers together, there had to be seperate gatherings, one for Applejack, one for her and Dash.

Even the band was fractured now, Applejack having voluntarily left. If the world needed saving, Twilight wasn't sure if they could keep together for that either. Applejack had unfollowed and blocked them on every form of social media, there was no reaching her except through their remaining friends. Rarity and Sunset had both offered to try and talk to Applejack on their behalf, but Twilight insisted they stay out of it, fearful they'd be retaliated against if they tried.

"Hey, Twi, you okay?" Rainbow's groggy voice cut through the thoughts drowning Twilight, making her jump slightly.

"Huh? Yeah, why?"

Rainbow gently wiped a tear from Twilight's cheek. "You're crying."

"Oh… I didn't realize… I'm sorry Rainbow."

Still bleary eyed from just waking up, Dash rubbed her eyes and sat up, quickly wrapping her arms around her girlfriend in a comforting hug. "Quiet egghead, you're fine, what's up?"

"I… I miss Applejack."

Rainbow's hug around Twilight tightened a little. "... Me too Twi, me too."

Comments ( 4 )

This sad. Animeteor sad. ☹

It would be nice to see this continued.

10352037
If it wasn't based on real life events I'd consider it.

applejack is an asshole

Login or register to comment