• Published 1st Mar 2020
  • 429 Views, 15 Comments

Twilight Sparkle & the Idea Machine - darf



Twilight Sparkle and her assistant Lyra build a machine to figure out the most important and original ideas left in Equestria. Results ensue.

  • ...
1
 15
 429

At some point I, Twilight Sparkle, Was Obligated To Test the Number of Characters Allowed Per Chapter Title. Much to My Surprise, It Vastly Exceeded My Initial Expectations and Stretched Long Into Unfathomable Lengths, At Which I Could No Longer Maintain

"Lyra, did you just say 'parp' out loud?"

"No, but wouldn't that be funny if I did?"

Twilight sighed. Her horn was still glowing a little, and it ached, which would theoretically be as difficult to perceive to anypony from the outside as any pain relatively might be. Take a paragraph to describe this, the abstract nature of pain. No. Out.

The two ponies (Lyra & Twilight) (No, Twilight & Lyra) (& & & & &) (They're Called Ampersands) had gotten rid of most of the papers. They'd dismantled the machine. The experiment was a total failure.

"We didn't manage to produce even one single coherent piece of text," Twilight said, rubbing a hoof across her horn to ease some of the soreness. It was quite swollen.

Lyra took a deep breath and shrugged. "I still think this one is pretty close." She held up the piece of paper in question, not much bigger than the size of her hoof—it looked as though she'd torn it off the corner of a much larger sheet, but that was simply the way the machine had printed it.

'k e e p g o i n g'

"I mean, it's readable," Twilight conceded. "I'll give you that much. But it doesn't mean anything. For one thing, it's cliche. It's the moral of literally every single story that has ever existed. And for another thing, how do we know what it applies to? If I'm in the middle killing of some pony, and I read this, do I keep going with that too?"

"Has anyone ever told you you're the least fun pony to talk to in existence?"

"Yes! Several! It was the theme of my entire life up until the end of... it's still the theme of my entire life!"

And.... scene!

Author's Note:

—the Length of My Sentence.

Comments ( 7 )

The title of chapter 4 alone sells this for me.

I commented here even though I had nothing funny or weird to say.

Someone paid real, actual money for this.
6/10

I think the person wanted a story built around the word ‘parp’

So... what was the actual prompt for this...'story'? Maybe having that will allow me to understand what exactly is going on. Not that I'm going to be able find a fluid narrative here, I don't expect to. I just want to know what the input was to result in this output. Curious.

Enjoyed it otherwise, even if it messes with my head as I read it.

10111094
"Making peace when the life we want to live is just barely out of reach"

HELPMEICAN'TESCAPEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Login or register to comment