• Published 23rd Feb 2020
  • 617 Views, 7 Comments

Learning the Yoga Alphabet - Brian Sheil



Apple Bloom and her friends had a rough week at school. So, a visiting yoga teacher comes over with a unique way to calm them down.

  • ...
 7
 617

Let's Get Stretching

Author's Note:

I decided to bring back one of my original characters for this yoga story. Some of the story will be color coded. Yellow for Apple Bloom, light gray for Settie Belle, and orange for Scootaloo. For those who don't understand this story, this video might help.

It was a Friday after school. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were staying the night with Apple Bloom at Sweet Apple Acres. But, all three friends were very upset. Shaky, frazzled, and crying a lot. Applejack went up to check up on them.

"Hey, girls." Applejack said with concern. "Are y'all all right?"

"No, sis." Apple Bloom anwered with tears in her eyes. "This week was terrible."

"She's right, Applejack." Sweetie Belle added. "Seems like everywhere we turn, Rumble and Babs Seed were there. Those two were always having teachers give us a hard time."

Scootaloo was shaking angrily. "No matter what we try, those two won't let us have our say, and insist that the teachers lecture us harshly." She grabbed her hair and teared up. "This was getting outrageous!"

Applejack rushed over and grabbed Scootaloo's hands. "Whoa, whoa, easy, Scootaloo. there's no need to pull your hair out. That would break Rainbow Dash's heart." And then turned to Sweetie Belle. "And, don't you think of it either, Sweetie Belle. You girls look beautiful. If any of y'all pull your hair out, that'll make your problems a bit worse."

The three friends realized that Applejack is right. But, they wonder how to get over this.

"Any ideas, Applejack?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"As a matter of fact, yep." Applejack answered. "I know a friend of Sunset Shimmer's that can help you well. I'll call her and tell her of this situation."

As Applejack leaves, Apple Bloom was thinking. "Maybe my sister is right."

"I hope you're right." Scootaloo added. "For now, how can we relax?"

Sweetie Belle turned to Applejack with a suggestion. "Movie?"

"Good idea." Apple Bloom suggested. "Let's change into our sleepwear and set up in the basement. Maybe watching a movie can help us take it easy."

The three friends take their sleeping bags with them down to the basement.

The next day, Apple Bloom admires the view of the apple trees near the barn. She wore a dark pink T shirt and blue spandex exercise shorts. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo soon came wearing their own exercise clothes.

"Hi, guys." Apple Bloom greeted. "I guess you're ready for some exercise too."

"You bet." Scootaloo said. "What do you think of my outfit?"

Scootaloo wore a long sleeve red shirt and blue capri style exercise pants. Apple Bloom smiled. "That looks good, Scootaloo. Sweetie Belle looks good too."

Sweetie Belle wore a light teal tank top and black 3/4 tights. Scootaloo noticed something about the tank top. "Hey. That looks like an 'OM' symbol. That's usually associated with yoga."

"I have a strong feeling, that's all." Sweetie Belle replied.

A minute later, a woman with teal hair and wearing a light blue tank top and purple 3/4 tights stepped out carrying a lavender yoga mat with her. She greeted the three friends. "Hello, girls."

"Oh my goodness." Apple Bloom blurted. "It's Lotus Blossom."

"You mean Sunset Shimmer's yoga teacher?" Sweetie wondered.

"That's correct, Sweetie Belle." Lotus Blossom answered. "Applejack called me yesterday, and told me about what happened. I told her that I can help you."

"You mean," Scootaloo figured, "we're going to do some yoga?"

"You guessed correctly, Scootaloo."

"Only one problem. No yoga mats for us."

"No problem. Wait here."

Lotus puts down her mat and goes to the barn. She comes back with three yoga mat. The three friends were pleasantly surprised.

"Here you are girls. Apple red for Apple Bloom, lavender for Sweetie Belle, and bright blue for Scootaloo."

The girls take their respected colored mats. Everyone unrolled their mats, took off their footwear, and stepped on the mats.

"For this exercise," Lotus explained, "I think we should have some fun. Alphabet fun, that is."

"Alphabet fun?" Apple Bloom gasped. "What's that mean?"

"We're going to stretch ourselves into letters of the alphabet. And, you three will tell me what your feelings are, starting with those letters."

"This COULD be fun." Scootaloo replied.

"I agree." Sweetie added. "Miss Blossom, we're ready."

"Excellent." Lotus said as she turns on some relaxing music from her smartphone. "Let's begin."
After Lotus and the girls finished Sun salutations, she begins the exercise. "Let' start off, appropriately, with the letter A. Watch me then do the same thing. Afterwards, tell me your feelings towards the letter shape in one word, beginning with that letter."

Lotus spread her legs apart, and raied her hands over her head, bending a the elbows, The girls saw that their teacher looks like an A. Then they did the same thing.

"Well done, girls." Lotus praised. "What do you think?"

They shared their thoughts one at a time. "Amazing." "Astounding." "Awesome!"

"Very good." Lotus praised. "Let's move on to the letter B."

Standing tall, the yoga teacher places her left hand on her waist, and lifted and bent her left leg, making her look like a B. After the girls did the same, they gave out their opinions.
"Breathtaking." "Beautiful." "Bold!"

Lotus was very pleased with the opinions. "Next up is the letter C."

Lotus sat down with her legs straight out, and exteds her arms forward. The girls view her as a C. They matched her, and expressed their feelings. "Creative." "Calm." "Cool."

"We're just getting started." Lotus said. "Let's see what you can do with the letter D."

Standing up, Lotus bent her body while keeping her straight. She reached down to her feet in a way that she looks like a D. The girls did the same, and gave her their expressions. "Defining." "Delightful." "Dramatic."

SItting down on the mat, Lotus turns to the group. "Up next, the letter E."

She extends one arm all the way, and extends the other half way, resembling an E. The girls repeated, and expressed their feelings "Exhilarating." "Elegant." "Ecstatic."

“Okay, girls,” Lotus suggested, “keeping our arms like this, let’s move on to the letter F.”

Lotus slowly stood up, keeping her arms in the same position. The three girls followed her example, and expressed their opinions. ”Fantastic.” ”Fascinating.” ”Fun.”

“Time for a tricky pose.” Lotus said. “Let’s try the letter G.”

Lotus Blossom sat down on the mat with her left foot on the mat, and her right leg resting on the left, extended. She raises her left arm. Seeing that she looks like a G, Apple Bloom and friends followed her moves. Then, expressed themselves.”Golden.” ”Glorious.” ”Great.”

"Very good, girls." Lotus praised. "On to the letter H."

Lotus stood up, and squatted down while raising her arms. This makes her look like an H as the three friends followed her. "Happening." "Heavenly." "Heavy."

"Now for something simple." Lotus informed the trio. "The letter I."

Lotus Blossom just stood straight and tall. So did the three friends. "Incredible." "Inspirational." "Impressive."

"Now, let's move on to the letter J." Lotus said.

Lotus turned to her side, and bent down with her knees on the mat, until she looks like a J. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo bent into Js too. Then expressed their feelings. "Joyful." "Jubilating." "Jazzy."

"Very good." Lotus Praised as she stood up. "Next up, the letter K."

Lotus stepped one foot forward, and extended one arm in an angle, making her look like a K. The girls followed her example, and gave her their opinions. "Kind." "Karma." "Keen."

The yoga teacher then sat down on the mat. "Now, let's sit down for the letter L."

Sitting with her legs extended, Lotus Blossom raised her arms into the air. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo did the same. "Liberating." "Lovely." "Lively."

Lotus then stood up and spread her legs across the mat. "Time to wrap up the first half of the alphabet with the letter M."

She then bent forwards and lowered her hands to the ground, having her look like an M. After the three friends followed her example, they give her their opinions. "Marvelous." "Motivating." "Mellow."

"Wonderful." Lotus said as she stood up again. "Before we continue, I suggest a quiet meditation period."

The girls agree with that idea. Lotus sat on her mat in a lotus pose. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle sat in a cross legged position, and Scootaloo sat in Lotus Pose too.

"I'm very impressed with you, Scootaloo." Lotus Blossom praised. "How is it you're able to sit in Lotus Pose?"

"With some of the soccer practice I do at school and with Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo explained. "my legs become very flexible."

"Good reason." Lotus sets a timer for ten minutes. "Now then, let's simmer down."

In their sitting positions, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo closed their eyes. Lotus turns on the timer, then closes her eyes too. The four ladies meditate together.


Ten minutes later, the alarm went off. All four girls opened their eyes slowly as Lotus Blossom spoke. "Let's continue this morning's exercise. The second half starts with the letter N."

Standing on her knees, Lotus agles her body to the mat, and raises her arm so that she looks like an N. The three girls stretched into Ns to. Then, expressed themselves."Nifty." "Noble." "Nice."

"All right, girls." Lotus prasied. "Let's lay on our stomachs for the letter O."

Laying on her stomach, lotus bent her knees and reached behind her so she can grab her ankles. The girls followed her example."Optimistic." "Oneness." "Outstanding."

"Now, for another easy pose." Lotus said as she stood up. "Namely, the letter P."

Standing up, the yoga teacher placed her left hand on her waist. Seeing how she looked like a P, the three girls did the same. "Prosperous." "Passionate." "Proud."

Lotus then sat on the mat. "Let's give the letter Q a try."

Sitting on the mat, Lotus raised her knees with her feet on the mat. She reached for the tops of the knees, making her look like a Q. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo did the same. "Quirky." "Quiet." "Quaint."

"Very good." Lotus praised as she stood up. "Our next letter is the letter R."

Lotus placed her left hand on her waist, then, extended her left leg out, making her look like an R. After following their teacher, the girls expressed themselves. "Refreshing." "Remarkable" "Righteous."

"Now, let's try a real twisty pose." Lotus said. "I'm referring to the letter S."

Kneeling, the yoga teacher bent back a little, and extended her arms. Then, she bent them so that she looks like an S. The three girls followed her example. "Satisfying." "Sensational." "Serene."

Lotus and the girls standup for the next pose.

"Ready, girls?" Lotus said. "Let's move on to the letter T."

The teacher and her students of the day stood tall, and extended their arms to the sides. "Thoughtful." "Tranquil." "Terrific."

"Okay, now." Lotus said. "Time to roll on our bellies for the letter U."

Lotus laid down on her belly to do Cobra Pose. She then lifted her legs up so she would look like a U. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo followed her example. "Unbelievable." "Uplifting." "Unique."

Lotus then turned and sat on her mat. "Okay, girls brace yourselves for the letter V."

The yoga teacher leaned back a little and lifted her legs up until she looks like a V. After following her example, the friends expressed themselves. "Vibrant." "Valiant." "Vivid."

Lotus then sat on her knees, and addressed the girls. "Next up is the letter W."

In her kneeling position, Lotus extended her arms in a way that makes her look like a W. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo did the same. "Whimsy." "Wonderful." "Wild."

Standing up, Lotus Blossom gave the girls a tricky one to express. "Okay, try your luck expressing with the letter X."

Lotus extends her legs, and extends her arms at an angle. The girls followed her moves, and gave this one a try. "X-ceptional." "X-hilarating." "X-treme."

The yoga teacher was surprised. "I'm impressed. Let's try the letter Y.'

Holding their arms in place, all four places their legs together. "Yippee!" "Yes." "Yowza."

"Last one, girls." Lotus announced. "Namely, the letter Z."

Kneeling, Lotus bent slightly, and extended her arms to make her look like a Z. The three girls followed. "Zowie!" "Zen." "Zonkers!"

Everybody then stood at attention as Lotus spoke to them. "Good work, girls. Now, do you feel better?"

"Yes, we do." Sweetie Belle answered. "I think this yoga thing is probably what we needed."

"Even I feel relaxed." Scootaloo added. "And, that's saying a lot. Maybe yoga can help us in the future."

"That's the attitude." Lotus prasied. "You girls can keep the mats so you can work on your yoga. Maybe Sunset Shimmer can guide you as well. Thank you for participating. Namaste."

The girls bowed to their teacher, feeling much better and more relaxed.


Monday came, and the girls are all set to enter the school.

"Are you ready to face the day?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Yes, we are." Scootaloo answered calmly.

"So am I, Apple Bloom." Sweetie Belle added. "Let's go."

The three friends soon made their way into the school, with a new sense of calm guiding them.

Comments ( 7 )

Is Lotus Blossom related at all to the Spa Ponies?

No. She’s a character I created who debuted in my story “Sunset’s Yoga Time”. I even drew her on that title card.

10117458
Confused? Well, my original character, Lotus Blossum, lead Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo to stretch into letters of the alphabet. The accompying video shows how it's done.

11516416
You're welcome, yoga can be very calming, when very stressed out

Login or register to comment