• Published 3rd Jan 2020
  • 3,325 Views, 22 Comments

Reality - pegiwolf12



The question had come out of nowhere that day: Luster was maybe thirteen years old, and her questions seemed endless, yet that day’s question stunned Princess Twilight to the core. “How old are you?”

  • ...
15
 22
 3,325

Reality

She knew. Deep down, Twilight had known for years. It was obvious, really: how long had Celestia and Luna been alive? Thousands of years and they were alicorns. Yet, how long did the average pony live? Up to a hundred if they were lucky.

Twilight had known for a while, that much was true, but she still thought...maybe...just maybe, if she didn’t think about it, it wouldn’t be true. She told herself that ever since her ascension. She hadn’t had to think about it that often either with all of the evil creatures coming back for revenge and with running a school, and lately her princess duties took up most of her time. She forced it to the very back of her mind, and there it would stay as long as she was busy.

Yet, changes had become more and more evident with every passing moon. It was hard not notice, really. With only seeing her friends once a moon in Canterlot, the changes became blatantly obvious to her every single time. Twilight noticed when Rarity’s hair began to gain a few greys, but she tried to ignore it. Every visit, the princess herself found that she stood a little taller and her hair began to flow just a little more with magic every moon. She noticed the looks her friends gave her, some pitying, some confused, some sad...they would never bring it up, however. The reality was blocked every visit. Twilight was not ready to face it, and her friends never seemed to bring it up, seeming to sense her overall discomfort. That was fine, really. Twilight continued on, ignoring all reality.

It had become a habit. Whenever she saw Spike, she would notice him a little taller too. He had a job as the friendship ambassador at that point, and he was gone often as well. Twilight was not used to such isolation--even back when she was Celestia’s pupil in Canterlot she still had Spike--so she decided to take in a new pony under her wing: a filly that was young and very gifted at magic.

Perhaps Twilight took Luster Dawn in as her personal pupil because of the similarities the young unicorn had to her younger self. Maybe she took her in as a reminder of the past when she was a carefree young unicorn who lived in a library: when her highest stress came from sending a weekly letter to Princess Celestia. Perhaps it was something else entirely. Twilight was still not sure herself. Still, no one questioned her: she was the princess of Equestria after all.

The question had come out of nowhere that day: Luster was maybe thirteen years old, and her questions seemed endless, yet that day’s question stunned Princess Twilight to the core. “Princess,” the little filly began.

“Yes, Luster,” Twilight replied, a small grin adorning her muzzle as she awaited the question, perhaps a little eager to hear it herself. She now stood at nearly Celestia’s height and her mane flowed just the slightest bit slower than her former mentors own. “What is it?”

“How old are you?” The alicorn froze and slowly turned to face Luster Dawn. Her pupil’s eyes were wide with curiosity, and her head was slightly tilted to one side. Twilight’s heart raced, but she forced herself to crack a very forced smile.

“Why do you ask?” Luster frowned, little eyebrows scrunched as she thought hard for an answer.

“I was just wondering,” the filly chuckled, oblivious to the alicorn’s inner turmoil.

“...I am forty-three,” was the whispered answer, and Twilight could suddenly not make eye contact with the young filly. Luster seemed to think about that for a long moment, her head still tilted to one side.

“...you don’t look like any creature I know who is forty-three,” Luster replied earnestly. Twilight’s breath hitched in her throat and she could feel her eyes stinging a little at that. Many would have smiled or even been thankful for a compliment like that, and maybe a few years ago she would have done the same, but now, for Twilight, reality finally came crashing down. Those simple words--the very simple question--had stopped the princess cold.

The alicorn swiftly turned away, shutting her eyes tightly. At that moment, time itself seemed to slow and dread began to fill her chest. Her ears pinned back and the princess forced herself to take a slow, calming breath, a technique Cadence had taught her all those years ago. Finally, after a long while, the princess finished, “...no. I suppose I don’t, do I?” Twilight let herself sit down onto the throne room floor. Only when Luster had left the room did Twilight let the tears flow. The little filly did not need to see her like this: she was a princess and she would not burden her pupil with such feelings. Luster was far too young for that. Twilight then lit up her horn and swung the throne room door shut. Then, she began to walk slowly. She looked at all of the stained glass windows as she did so, each one recounting some major Equestrian event, most being of her and her friends…just the thought of her friends, hair greying wrinkles beginning to form on their faces made her vision unfocused and blurry with tears. She couldn’t picture a life where they wouldn’t be around, she didn’t want to. Yet, with how fast the years seemed to go by lately...she just hoped that future was far off. She remembered Celestia’s guidance all of those years ago when Twilight herself was Celestia's pupil and realized that the alicorn had been alone for a thousand years, without even her sister for company. Luna had been banished for a thousand years, and Twilight did not remember Celestia even mentioning any friends she had during the time her sister was locked away. The very thought of being alone that long made Twilight shake her head.

“How did Celestia handle it?” Twilight thought to herself. “When reality came crashing down on her?”

Author's Note:

I'm sorry if the grammar is awful, I wrote this really late at night...Still, I felt that this story was worth sharing nevertheless. I hope it is at least halfway decent.

Comments ( 22 )

I'M NINE-HUNDRED AND THIRTY-TWO!!

I think you did well!:pinkiehappy:

10016510
How to Be Irritating?

10016510
What was the late 11th century like?

10017066 Well, you know, I lived through the Black Death, had a pretty good time there.

Also I've seen "The Exorcist" about 67 times! And it keeps gettin' funnier! EVERY... TIME... I SEE IT!!

Now what do you think? You think I'm qualified?

:pinkiecrazy:

10016765 I'm a Pepperpot. :trollestia:

10017408
Just want the battleship.

10017399
Only 67?
I'm disappointed and ashamed of you. The fact that you could not even reach the glorious 69 shows hoe unqualified you are at even understanding the mere concepts that grasp the universe together. Only a really being would understand the trials and tribulations of watching The Exorcist 69 times.

If you had done it right, you would have watched it a 68th time, only to crumble into madness as it suddenly was the more boring and arduous series of images and sounds you had ever seen. Every second would be an eternity, and your mind would slowly slip away with every frame.

Only after seeing it a 69th time would you reach true nirvana, and have a full grasp of the entire cosmos.

THEN would you be qualified.

10017422 MOTOR TORPEDO BOAT!!

10017438
Pfft, 69 was cliche in the 60's.

Probably fell back on her immortal sibling...probably best not to think on that overmuch.

Well, she's either immortal or has a long lifespan I guess. I'd prefer the latter though, immortality is just cruel. At least if its just a longer life she could one day be reunited with her friends.

"She remembered Celestia’s guidance all of those years ago when Twilight herself was Luster’s pupil "

Pretty sure that should be "Celestia's pupil"

You know what's obvious in my eyes? The ending of the story basically repeated the beginning with the student going to Ponyville and setting off on a journey. I'm convinced that Twilight is training Luster to be her Successor and will give up her immortality. Nothing can convince me otherwise. Sorry if I'm being a hater here but I hate that so many people like this tragedy.

Very good :) I like it when a story doesn't always end happily, because reality isn't like that at all. Some things end badly, it's just how things work. My personal take is that Celestia and Luna are only taking a break to experience the world as normal ponies, then will return and join Twilight in ruling equestria, that way none of them would be alone.

You deal with it by realizing first and foremost that reality isn't crashing around you. It's just singing the song you weren't paying attention to until then.

Actually granny smith is way way over 100.

Time to writer a letter to Celestia and Luna in Silver Shoals.

My only complaint is that it feels too short. I'd like a little more. Not sure where it could go from here, yet it doesn't quite feel complete to me. Still pretty good for what it is though. I guess I just want more is all.

Good work. Keep it up and you'll go far. You only get better with practice.

Login or register to comment