• Published 30th Jun 2019
  • 434 Views, 33 Comments

Iota Force Issue #3: The Treachery of Images - The Iguana Man



A vast piece of ground-art, a series of riddles and a promised crime spree herald a new case for Iota Force. Ponyville's youngest Superhero team must solve a vast, multi-part puzzle to thwart the crimes of an ostentatious mastermind as young as them.

  • ...
0
 33
 434

Next Time on Iota Force...

Nope, nope, cold and open, cold and open, bad, don't like, not gonna, nope.

The colt hovered at the edge of the forest, fidgeting in agitation and staring out into the open space before him as if it was going to leap forward and swallow him up. The small town with its little houses seemed harmless enough, but the wide open space between the town and the forest stretched out like a gaping chasm.

Have to go, can't go, have to go, friends won't like cold, Skrik won't like cold, can't go, have to go.

He reached a hoof out beyond the treeline for a split second before pulling it back like it was about to be bitten.

Maybe new home will be better, can't go back, big ones didn't like, don't know, have to know, can't know.

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud rumble from above. Looking up, the colt's pupils shrunk as he saw a truly colossal amount of snow start to plummet towards the ground and towards him.

Giving off a high-pitched shriek, the colt dashed forward, not turning around to check if his friends were following. He looked around frantically to find a way into his new home.

Where is where is where is where is THERE!

Swerving, the colt sprinted towards a metal grate on the corner of the street. Fortunately, no one was around to see him as he pulled the grate out of the ground and dived in. He slid down the passage and turned around to see that he had been just in time. No sooner had the last of his friends poured into the entryway than the entrance was blocked by a thick layer of snow, cutting off the fresh air and putting the passage into complete darkness.

Not that the colt cared – he was used to this kind of place. Enjoyed it, even. This would definitely work as a new home.

Friends are safe, Skrik is safe, have new home.

He smiled as his friends swarmed all over him, chittering and squealing.

Author's Note:

...

Say, you know what'd be really funny? If I'd set up this series as starting around the beginning of Season Five and then have the second story take place around Nightmare Night, make it a key plot point that the climax happened on Nightmare Night... while forgetting that there was already a Nightmare Night episode in that season near the end of it.

Wouldn't that just be hilariously stupid of me?

...

So, on an unrelated note, in this Universe, the event of Season Five took well over a year and included two Nightmare Nights. Funny how that works, huh?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the story and the various puzzles prevent both were interesting and had reasonable answers.

Hope to see you next time.

Comments ( 6 )

Again, glad I finally read this one. Some truly sinister riddles at work, along with Icy developing her powers in very clever ways. Also, is letting Magic Eye monologue one of the rules? Because it seems like the best way to take down this sort of villain is to hit him while he's distracted by his own genius.

Also also, I kind of ship Scootaloo and Magic Eye. Call me crazy, but this feels like an extreme version a boy tugging a girl's pigtails because he likes her. Only, you know, with grand larceny.

In any case, thank you for this. Here's looking forward to the next issue!

9827845
Scoots and Magic Eye... now there's a thought. I confess, I hadn't really considered it and I very much doubt it's a conscious factor in his motivations - if nothing else, he's not an exclusive foe of Iota Force. On the other hand, one of the ways I tried to make him distinct from his inspiration is that, as assured and secure as he is in his own genius, he nevertheless can respect his opponents rather than looking down on them. And he obviously sees something in her as an opponent, so who knows? As I'm sure you can gather, this won't be the last time we see him.

As for the monologuing, well, you're not wrong, but at the same time, it wouldn't necessarily invalidate whatever escape plans he has and monologues can sometimes convey useful information, intentionally or not. Plus, while he may be a difficult opponent, he's not an especially dangerous one, so a confrontation with him doesn't have the sense of "need to take him down quickly and catch him off guard to stop him defending" that many villains would have.

Again, you're quite right that interrupting him would be a valid tactic (and I suspect that Scoots might have just done when she first confronts him that had he not been semi-intentionally holding Dash's trophy at the time), but I think letting him talk can also be advantageous.

This is my favorite one of these stories by far. You did an amazing job.

Oh, you sweet summer child, thinking that the chronology of this show makes any kind of sense. Here is the last guy who tried that explaining why it's a fool's errand.

Oh wait I've got it. These are all abstract depections of where and how the Main Six got their Cutie Marks isn't it? Sees the picture again.

Never mind.:facehoof:

9827845

Also also, I kind of ship Scootaloo and Magic Eye.

I see Icy Flight as being a better match for him. She did better with these rounds and it was obvious that he was getting really impressed with her by the end.

Login or register to comment