• Published 27th Nov 2018
  • 610 Views, 47 Comments

Here Comes a New Challenger! - Chrome Masquerade



When going to BronyCon for the first time, a young man finds his perspective on life changed quickly.

  • ...
5
 47
 610

Chapter 3: Guitar Heroine

We were in Sugarcube corner at one point, discussing our plans for our next performance, or at least our next party.

Suddenly, a trio of girls strutted in, singing a literally hypnotic melody. Something about our magic rendered theirs ineffective on the six of us. The crowd of other schoolgoers in the place weren't so lucky.

Green smoke started to fill the area as the song went on. I looked to the other girls and took my guitar in hand. Fluttershy, Applejack and Rarity raised their instruments, Fluttershy following shortly thereafter. Pinkie wasn't able to bring her drums in, but substituted with the table we were seated at.

We started playing a counter-melody, snapping the crowd out of the spell, even sending some of the closer ones into Hybrid form.(1)

The three instigators were beaten back by the power of our music and quickly left the area.(2)
Obliging the crowd, we continued entertaining them for some time. We'd agreed that the very next day we'd inform the principals of this. However... that didn't go as planned...
--------------------------------------

When we piled into the principals' office, the six of us started to explain the case, but Principal Celestia held up a hand. She said, "Yes, yes. we know about the battle of the bands and think it's an excellent idea."

Not only were they resolute in their decision to do it, but things were already scheduled. We had no chance to help them.

As we left, we noticed that their eyes were entirely shades of green.

---------------------------------------

So what if we couldn't convince them otherwise? We just had to win. Easy enough, right?

Mmmmaybe not. The competition would be stiff. We needed Twilight with us. Sunset wrote into the book she had and in short order we had our seventh member with us. Twilight wasn't much for instruments, but she made a great singer. Being naturally Equestrian made channelling the magic much easier while in her proximity. After some practice, we were ready for the contest. We had to be.

As the contest went on, there were more skileed musicians and singers. Muffins' group and Snips and Snails were no problem, but Trixie's group and ESPECIALLY Flash's group were hard to get past. We had to pull out all the stops and put our souls into it along with our signature songs. It was no easy feat, let me tell ya!

Eventually we came to the finals and the Dazzlings (as they'd dubbed themselves) strode onto the stage, casting their magics over the audience like a blanket. They stood no chance and were mesmerized immediately.

Then we'd made a dramatic entrance (with Vinyl providing speaker power), belting our newest tune. When they'd manifested their siren avatars, we had to play even harder. Sunset joined in and threw off her signature jacket; we knew that it was time to kick it up SEVERAL notches, switching to a different song entirely.(3)

As the timer hit about 3:20 on that, Vinyl sent the energy into the ground, manifesting a giant Alicorn as our Avatar. Needless to say, we slammed their Avatars back, shattering the red stones in the pendants that they were wearing.

As the Dazzlings' voices cracked, their energy faded and we knew that it ws time for us to relax.

In the aftermath, the former sirens revealed that they were being controlled by the pendants they were wearing and for the last few yesrs their memories were a blank. When we'd shattered those magical stones, we'd freed them of that influence. We offered the olive branch, but they declined, rightfully stating that they'd likely become persona non grata(4). They just packed up and left for different lands.

It was even harder saying goodbye to Twilight this time, but she said that she'd visit now and again, since she'd laid a spell on the Mirror back home to let it open every New Moon instead of every 30. She even invited us to come along at some point.

If you said that things went back to normal after that, you'd be mostly right. But with Sunset fully in on our fun, things just got 20% cooler yet! The question was: What would happen next?

Author's Note:

1: To explain that, Milky Way will kindly tell us all we need to know. Hybrid being 4, the Equestria Girls characters being at 4.5 at default.
2: It's kind of a Kefka Palazzo case. They haven't gained enough strength to pose a serious threat - yet.
3: My favourite version of the song, really. This is how I like to think of MLP!
4: Essentially, unwelcome.

Comments ( 35 )

Have you read my story because I fear we clash here.

9523308
I don't think so. What story is that?

9523344
Power of the Cybernetic Soldier, it's my story as part of the Canterlot Adventures Universe. My part with the Dazzlings is very different than yours.

9523348
I haven't read that. And as to my method... Occasionally I have a dream that influences my stories. Otherwise, I just write what my instincts tell me to. That's all.

9523519
Yes but because our stories are in the same universe they need to be somewhat consistant.

9523519

9523567
Oh no! We're all out of sync again!

9523676
We'll work it out, I will give it my all :twilightsmile:.



9523519

We need to discuss this before The Blue EM2 has a break down because we are not in sync!

9523567
9523684
9523676

Perhaps I was the wrong choice for this project. That being the case, I apologize deeply. :ajsleepy:

9523787
No, not at all! This is my fault for being unclear as to what happened during RR.

9523794
Would it be better if I just withdrew from the project? :unsuresweetie:

9523803
It's your choice. If you wish to leave, then you may, but we will miss you.

9523807
Fair warning: If I continue, I'm not sure where I'd take this.
Maybe I just add to the description that this is a spinoff?

9523818
If you feel that works best.

9523823
I'll say this: there's a reason I added that Random tag.

9523821
Good, now we have fixed the two Rainbow Dashes issue as well. This works perfectly, thanks.

9524571
So... my having messed up is salvageable?

9524671
Yes if it is a spin off we can move on without affecting the canon of the tale. Also saves us from having to have two Rainbow Dashs running around.

9524674
Well, that's a relief. Still feel like a bit of an idiot.

9524733
You shouldn't, when I frist joined my first pick was going to be Sunset but I realised that I may not be able to handle writing a story for a mane character so I picked Tempest who is more of a side chracter plus it gave me more freedom to write what I wanted.

9524744
Fair enough. Also... I remember giving in once before. On an old story of mine no longer in existence, one person told me that there was nothing redeemable about the story and that I should just scrap it.

Not only did I feel like a total flop, I was literally struck dumb for nearly an hour. Now.... I regret that decision. Thanks for reminding me of that.

9525204
My first rule of writing keep is to write because you enjoy it, not just to entertain others.

My Second Rule is to not let someone who doesn't like my story to stop me from writing.

9525212
Commendable. I try to do much the same, but it gets difficult sometimes.

9525257
Nice recap on Rainbow Rocks!

The Dazzlings are back in their own story in Canterlot Adventures.

9530683
Thanks. I don't get a lot of likes, so compliments will do.

9525257
I guess you will be Rainbow Dash since RainbowDash03's story was deleted or something.

9719500
So what is next for Rainbow Dash? The Battle of the Bands vs the Dazzlings? Helping ScarletRhine's oc cousin Rose with life stuff?

9761775
I'm not sure yet. Like I've said in the past, my flashes of inspection come infrequently. But when I come up with something, you'll find out.

9761995
In Fluttershy's story, someone at school pranked her and Rarity and we need to find out who is responsible or we may not get to go to Camp Everfree.

9762485
I'll try to come up with something.

Login or register to comment