• ...
16
 9
 661

A Long Night Ahead ~ Chapter 8

Rainbow took a step back, staring blankly at the new ghost in front of her. She didn’t know how long she was staring for before the ghost must’ve realized that she was being seen. The pale pony blushed hard, “C-can you see me?” she said in but a whisper.

This was just enough for Rainbow to notice that she wasn’t acting exactly natural. She glanced around the room and breathed a sigh of relief. Nopony had noticed her as they were all too distracted with their own work with the guards. She locked eyes with the ghost again and nodded, she would’ve spoken too but she shut her mouth just before any words escaped. The cottage was small and even if she made the smallest of whispers, somepony living would hear.

The ghost slapped both of her hooves over her muzzle and Rainbow was certain that she was making a quiet ‘squee’ noise. Her whole being seemed to be tinted pink from blushing and Rainbow could see the smile in her eyes, despite her hooves obstructing the view of her mouth. But within a moment the mare’s eyes widened and she seemed to blush harder, although it was more difficult to tell now.

When Rainbow first saw her she assumed the ghost’s coat was white and only looked pink do to her heavy blushing. She was still blushing, no doubt about it, but now coat seemed to be gray, in fact her whole self seemed to be dimmed, as if she suddenly stepped into a dark room. It was only a second before the ghost's eyes slammed shut and she turned, fading through the wall and away from the living.

Rainbow was quick to discard this with a mental word; ‘Weird.’ before turning back to the bloodied guards getting treated.

By the time Luna raised the moon, Rainbow had returned to Pinkie and the fillies and was finishing up her last bit of work.

She straightened each of the chairs that surrounded Pinkie’s table with Diane watching her rather intently. Pinkie had fallen asleep on her desk chair and the fillies sat dazed in the corner, it was too quiet to talk to the ghost without the threat of waking up one of the sleeping ponies. She looked to the pink pony bathed in a green aura as she finished, Diane’s only response was a big grin.

Rainbow returned it with a small smile of her own and then trotted over to the corner. Sweetie stirred at her approach and eventually opened one eye to look at her. Rainbow knelt to whisper, “C’mon, let’s get you to a real bed.” Sweetie nodded absently in response and something told Rainbow that the filly didn’t really acknowledge what she said. Rainbow rolled her eyes and quietly urged the girls to climb onto her back.

It was hard to give a pony back ride to two fillies at once, though Rainbow managed despite being rather tired herself. She did have to spread her wings once or twice to help with her balance but none of her stumbling seemed to affect the heavy sleepers on her back.

She trotted towards Rarity’s workroom and spoke to the very tired mare who worked there. “What time is it?” she yawned.

“Late.” Rainbow whispered, “Where are they sleeping tonight?” She nodded to the fillies on her back, “I can carry them there.”

Rarity stood up from where she’d previously been staring at a piece of fabric. “Don’t..” she yawned again, “Worry about it, I can handle them.” She said as she stepped over and levitated the pair from Rainbow’s back to hers. Even once they laid on the unicorn’s back she didn’t let go of her levitation spell, likely to keep them balanced. “It seems like everypony and their mothers needs a new dress for that ball Pinkie’s planning.”

“Does that ‘everypony’ include new dresses for the maids..?” Rainbow asked wearily.

Rarity gave her a cold stare before stepping past her to leave the room, turning a lantern off with her magic as she trotted out, “I’m not awake enough to convince you to wear another dress.” She scoffed, knowing that Rainbow was dreading the thought of another maid get-up.

Rainbow laughed awkwardly, “It is a bit late.. Goodnight.” She told the mare as they split off into different directions.

“Goodnight Rainbow.” Rarity replied.

Rainbow trotted quickly back to her room, most of the maids had started their way to their rooms as well, so the hallway was more on the crowded side. She glanced around and eventually spotted that ghost from earlier. She stood close to Lucky Star as she opened the door to her room, stepped inside and closed the door behind her. Rainbow tried not to stare as the ghost stepped through the door to follow her. The pegasus noted that the two looked similar and that they were likely related.

Rainbow might’ve passed other ghosts before she reached her room, but she didn’t really pay too much attention. She placed a hoof on the doorknob and pushed.

Inside the room awaited two mares, one living and one dead. For a moment, Rainbow had forgotten that Twilight was supposed to visit her. “Oh,” she spoke, “Hey girls.”

Twilight practically jumped as she stood from where she was sitting immediately, “‘Girls’?” she repeated, “Is she here?”

Rainbow nodded, “She’s right next to you.” she pointed with a wing to Fluttershy who sat beside Twilight, looking at the book that the alicorn was levitating.

“Rainbow, this book is very interesting.” she stated, not noticing that Twilight was now staring at where she was, clearly unable to see her.

“..She says your book is interesting.” Rainbow said.

“Oh.. I-is that so?” Twilight said, carefully putting the book so it was still open on the floor and trotted over to Rainbow.

She stared wearily at Rainbow, her eyes flickering to the book every second. “So..” Rainbow started, “What exactly did you come here for?”

“Oh! Yes. Um.. I was thinking… of testing out some things.” she said, instantly teleporting herself away only to return a moment later with several alicorn wingfulls of books in her magical grasp. The weak grin on her face changed to more excited expression as she began looking through her books, “Don’t worry, there's more. I just figured we’d start with a few.”

Rainbow gritted her teeth in an attempt to smile, “Believe me, I wasn’t worried.”

Her comment went mostly unnoticed by Twilight who seemed to have chosen a book to start with. “Alright. I think the first thing we should test is how she functions with the real world. Or should I say the living world?” She asked herself before turning to Rainbow “You mentioned that she could pick up objects that weren’t too heavy?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, I’d like to see it in action. What type of thing is light enough.. A bit? Or a feather? Or…” The alicorn raised a hoof to her chin in thought.

“How about a page from a book?” Rainbow offered.

“Is that light enou…” Twilight trailed off from her question as she followed Rainbow’s gaze. Her jaw dropped as she saw the page turn by an invisible hoof.

Rainbow Dash took one look at her friend’s horribly shocked face and sighed. 'This is going to be a long night.'

Author's Note:

im on a roll with these story updates and now im just paranoid that writers block is gonna hit me like a truck-kun when im least expecting it

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment