• ...
16
 9
 661

An Awesome Curse ~ Chapter 3

Rainbow woke with a start. A sweet, slightly see through face staring at her. She jumped, of course, who wouldn’t after being startled like that? She now sat up in her bed with an utterly terrified look on her face. Until she remembered. She slapped a hoof to her face, “Right- the whole ghost thing, I forgot, sorry.” She spoke as she got out of bed and trotted past Fluttershy.

“Huh?” Fluttershy responded.

Rainbow Dash turned to look at her, promptly yawning as she spoke, “What is it?”

She paused before responding, her face as unreadable as ever, she smiled, “Oh, nothing. Good morning.”

Rainbow nodded, “G’ morning.” She said, remembering every detail from last night’s talk, and the agreement she made.

It’ll be awesome. Rainbow knew it would be.

“I’ll start coming up with a plan as soon as my shift ends.” She said in her maid uniform as she put on her cufflinks.

She thought it was a stupid design. She wasn’t wearing sleeves so why did she have to wear bracelets that looked like a dress shirt’s cuffs? When she asked Rarity about it she responded with “Fashion, darling.” which made Rainbow promptly role her eyes and earned the fashionista a scoff every time Rainbow put on the outfit.

“Right so uniform is on and I am ready. How do I look?” She asked.

“Like you do everyday.” Fluttershy said sweetly.

Rainbow paused for but a moment, it was still chilling whenever Fluttershy responded with something indifferent. But Rainbow had been shrugging it off, must be a dead pony thing. “Okay, so I’ll see you later.” she said as she trotted to her door.

She’d spent the previous night talking to Fluttershy. She struggled through her conversation with her monotone friend but she did learn some interesting information. The coolest things being that Fluttershy had a little bit of blood on her uniform, which Fluttershy couldn’t explain how it got there but was awesome nonetheless. And the fact that she can lift small objects. Her hooves would end up going threw anything too heavy but it’d be so cool for a prank. The most helpful.. Yet disturbing, piece of information was that Spirit and Fluttershy spent their lunch break together, eating under a particular tree in the gardens. When Rainbow asked if he still went there Fluttershy tried to nod but was stopped by some invisible force. Rainbow took it as a yes.

As she trotted through the halls, she was greeted by many familiar faces. Some of her co workers stopped her to say their condolences which reminded Rainbow that she should probably be acting sad, it wasn’t until she trotted into one maid that something seemed off. Trotted into? No, no, trotted through would be more accurate. Rainbow froze. She practically jumped as she turned around and locked eyes with the pony who seemed just as shocked. She stared for Celestia knows how long before a voice snapped out of it.

“RD? What are you staring at? You look like you saw a ghost.” The mare ended her statement with a laugh. “You okay?”

Rainbow whipped her head around to see Lucky Star, a pink mare with a blonde mane and tail. “Oh um, sorry..” ghost. Can she see all ghosts now? She glanced around nonchalantly trying to see if there were any other see through figures. None. She glanced back to Lucky Star, “Sorry, uh yeah, I just have a terrible headache.”

“Oh well then you should go to the herbalist’s cotta-” she caught herself, “S-sorry, maybe you don’t want to do that, I can get the herbs for you if you want?”

Rainbow smiled, “Thanks, but no thanks.” she was heart warmed by the fact that she was surrounded by caring ponies. She’d never been the nicest, not that she was outright rude but she had heard ponies refer to her as ‘cocky’ but she was confident and Fluttershy wasn’t the most outgoing but she was kind to everypony or creature she met. No doubt that she’s the reason that Rainbow had any friends at all. “I’ll head over there if my headache gets worse.”

Lucky Star gave her an understanding smile and trotted off. Of course it wasn’t that understanding, Rainbow wasn’t torn up by Fluttershy’s death at all, well maybe a little, but her being a ghost was totally awesome and so it made up for anything that she no longer had. Like the ability to touch others or talk to whoever she wanted. But she wasn’t that social to begin with so Rainbow guessed she wasn’t missing much.

As she trotted out the hallway she heard the daily rumors spread by her coworkers. Apparently Captain Amour had taken the day off and a few ponies heard high pitched giggling coming from Rarity's workroom. Rainbow pretty much ignored the news as she stopped her trott at the corridor’s corner. A purple unicorn mare stood, wearing a special version of the made uniform. Special being that it was a slightly different color and had some extra ribbons and buttons on it that matched her cutie mark. Rainbow stepped towards Amethyst Star, joining the few other maids and butlers who came to her. With her job simultaneously being the head maid and the royal organizer’s assistant she always seemed to be in a hurry.

“Oh Rainbow Dash!” She said, “How are you doing today?” She spoke quickly, her eyes locked to a scroll she was holding up with her magic.

“Um I’m fine.” She said.

“Alright then, if you’re okay with working we could use some help in Pinkie’s Office. I’ll be there around noon of course but she’s bound to have me go and get things for her so it’d be good if someone could be her to clean her mess. Of course that’s if you’re feeling up to it.”

“Yeah, I’ll head over there right now.” Rainbow replied to the mare’s rambling.

“Oh really? Thank you.” She spoke before moving on, informing Meadow Flower to assist the kitchen staff and Lilac Links to head to the guard’s break room along with the butlers, Dark Moon and Hors D'oeuvre because ‘they’re always oh so messy.’

As Rainbow trotted her wings itched as they always do when she has a distance to trott. She would be flying if there wasn’t a rule on flying indoors. It’s also insisted that maids and butlers should avoid flying altogether. She despised the rule, it was no doubt the worst part of her job. After quite a bit of time passed trotting on her hooves, or maybe it was just a minute, she could never tell, she had passed Rarity’s workroom, and soon after was attacked by Sweetie Belle, Rarity’s sister.

Well attacked isn’t the best description. It was more like Sweetie Belle just happened to be carrying a wooden sword in her mouth as she collided into Rainbow but that wouldn’t stop Rainbow from making her own life a bit more interesting by entertaining the filly.

“Oh woe is me! The power knight Sweetie Belle has striketh me down with her mighty sword.” Which did earn her a giggle from the filly.

“Sorry Dash.” she’d dropped the sword but continued giggling, that is until somepony cleared her throat behind Rainbow’s back, after that the filly straightened up and spoke properly, “Um! Sorry Miss Dash!”

Rainbow turned to see the pony who’d scared Sweetie Belle into a proper apology, Rarity. As she was distracted she was hit yet again. She looked down to see Sweetie Belle had fallen onto her leg because another filly had rammed into her flank. “Sweetie! Why’d you stop-” the filly froze, “Oh.. I’m sorry.. Miss.” her ears flopped back as her face reddened in embarrassment.

“Sorry about that Rainbow,” Rarity said, the pegasus turned her head to look at her when she spoke, “My little sister was scheduled to come in today and she insisted on taking her friend with her.

“My name is Scootaloo!” The filly said, any embarrassment she had felt was now gone. Replaced with a grin. “And sorry about before.” she laughed, clearly less anxious this time.

“Hey! You owe me an apology too!” Sweetie stomped her hoof down, “You were the one who ran into me!”

“Nuh-uh! I’m the beast! The beast doesn’t apologize to the runaway knight.” Scootaloo said, baring her teeth and stretching out her tiny wings as she pretended to a be a beast.

“I wasn’t a runaway knight! I was..” She paused, ”I was leading you into a trap!”

“Oh yeah?” the little pegasus replied, “What trap?”

“Um, uh Rainbow Dash! She’s a ferocious beast! More ferocious than you!” Sweetie responded.

“We’ll see about that!” The filly charged towards Rainbow but she was prepared.

Letting out a rawr, she knocked Scootaloo over and started blowing raspberries on her stomach. “Om nom nom” she said in between the tickles, “It is I, Rainbow Dash, coolest beast in all the land!”

Scootaloo, laughing hysterically, started tapping Rainbow’s face with her hoof, “Okay! Okay I give up!”

“Ha ha! I stand victorious!” Rainbow cheered as she let the filly go.

“Yay! Thank you great beast, for defeating my foe~” Sweetie said, suddenly into character again.

“It was my pleasure.” Rainbow responded.

“Now now girls, I think we should let Rainbow get off to work now.” Rarity spoke from behind the group.

“Awe.” both fillies complained.

“Come on, I’m sure you can play with her later,” Rarity cooed, “Rainbow, darling, where is it that you are going?”

“Oh I'm heading to Pinkie’s ‘office.’” she said, putting office in quotes with her hooves.

Rarity giggled, “Not much of an office is it? Oh you know what? Can you take the girls with you? Pinkie loves foals and it should keep them out of the hallway and away from my needle filled workroom.”

“Sure.” Rainbow said, within a second both of the girls were cheering and practically climbing onto her.

“Rainbow will tell me if you two misbehave.” Rarity said sternly, scarring the girls into submission.

“See you later.” Rainbow called to Rarity as they took off.

“See you, dear.” she replied and went to walk back into her workroom.

It was a significantly shorter walk with both of the playing fillies to keep her company. They continued their game of beast and knight. Sweetie’s sword muffled her battle cry though Rainbow still had to shush her once, promising that they could make whatever sound they want when they reached Pinkie’s.

The office was a distance away from the bedrooms for obvious reasons, although this did mean that no maid or butler could be there early enough to avoid colossal damage. Rainbow stifled a sigh as she realized that she’d be the one to clean the mess.

She finally trotted up to the door with Pinkie’s name, carved into a silver plaque, on it. She raised a hoof to knock and was met with the sound of a muffled explosion. She flinched for but a second before she continued her action and knocked, ignoring the foal’s sudden excitement over the fact that Sweetie explained, “Pinkie’s playing with explosives again!”

“Hold on!” A high pitched voice came through the door, followed by a sound that could have been compared to a herd of elephants trampling through a field of kitchen utensils. “Hiya!” She spoke as she swung open the door. Revealing not only her but another mare as well.

This other mare in question looked exactly the same as Pinkie, well she would look the same if she weren’t see through.

Author's Note:

Im gonna keep writing this story until you like it.