• Published 2nd Oct 2018
  • 925 Views, 7 Comments

Massive Magical Mishap - RebelNarrator45



Magic goes awry and causes...interesting, results. Mayhem ensues.

  • ...
1
 7
 925

The Conclusion

Trixie paced furiously the closer it got to dinner time. Discord and Thorax were no longer playing cards, and Starlight was busy collecting several spell books she thought might contain more information than what her tired brain could gather. She planned on resting, then studying some more.

"Trixie thinks we should leave before Twilight gets here!" Trixie said worriedly.

"I don't plan on leaving the castle, Trixie." Starlight said. "I plan on having us all go up to the attic. Twilight never goes up there. We should be safe enough while I try to figure this out. I've got the books I want. Lets go!"

She led the way to the attic. The others were quite astonished to find that one corner of it had been decked out with a sofa, a coffee table, a chair, a small lamp, and a bookshelf.

"Welcome to my secret reading nook." Starlight said, turning the lamp on. "And don't worry. When it gets dark outside, nopony will notice a light up here. I rigged a Blackout Spell. Once the sun sets, it activates, cloaking the windows and keeping up the impression there's no lights on."

"Huh." Trixie said. "Trixie is impressed."

Discord and Thorax sat down on each side of the table and resumed their earlier card game.

"We do need to eat dinner, you know." Trixie said, eyeing Starlight.

"I know. Already thought of that." Starlight said.

She pulled open a tall chest and the others stared. It was full of various snacks and treats.

"Well, now I'm impressed!" Discord said.

While the others set to eating something, Starlight dragged out her books and started reading. The hours passed. Trixie nodded off to sleep about ten, with Discord and Thorax following an hour later. Starlight stayed up through the night, making it her third night in a row with no sleep.

When Trixie woke up, Starlight was just finishing a book, which she threw aside.

"No luck?" Trixie asked.

"No." Starlight groaned.

"Starlight, what if you're over thinking it?"

Starlight blinked. "Huh?"

"Well, you've read the same ten books three times with no results. Maybe you should rest. Stop thinking. Just relax."

Starlight yawned. "Well...ok."

She trotted to the couch and sprawled on it. In minutes she was out cold and Trixie covered her up.

"Ah, you've got her covered, I see." Discord spoke.

"Discord." Trixie growled. "Can the jokes!"

"Can they what?" Discord smirked.

"Ugh!!"

When Starlight woke up hours later, it was with a very refreshed mind. She tackled her reading with renewed energy...and came up empty again.

"Ugh! Why can't I figure this out?!" She growled.

"Maybe you are over thinking it." Discord said helpfully.

Starlight sighed. Maybe she was. She got up and started to pace. As she did, she took derp breaths and willed herself to calm down.

"Wait." She said. "I think I have it! I think I know what..."

The door to the attic crashed open and Twilight bounded in.

"I know its here someplace. I remember I put the box right over...hey Starlight....yeah, right over...wait." She turned. "Starlight?!"

She looked from one to the other, eyes widening with each glance. Her mouth hung open and it took a full minute for her to speak.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

Starlight looked at Trixie, Trixie looked at Discord, Discord looked at Thorax, and Thorax looked at Starlight. Starlight looked back at the now hyperventalating Twilight.

"Uh oh."

**********************************

It took a while to calm Twilight down and convince her that their being switched had nothing to do with dark magic and there were no enemies to destroy. Once she was much calmer, she took a closer look at them.

"How did it happen?" She asked.

"Uh, well..." Starlight said slowly. "It's kind of a funny story, Twilight. See, we planned a magic show, and needed a grand finale, so Trixie and I concocted a Great and Powerful Personality Switch spell and I set it up and performed it...only it, kinda backfired."

Twilight's eye twitched. "You what? What exactly was your spell for?"

Starlight explained what the spell should have done, and with each word Twilight's eye twitched more rapidly. When she finished, Twilight met her student's gaze.

"You created and performed a potentially dangerous spell for a magic act?!" She demanded.

"Um...yes?" Starlight said.

"In her defense, it was supposed to work exactly like she said it was." Trixie spoke up.

"That doesn't matter!" Twilight exploded. "You could have gotten hurt!!!"

"But we didn't!" Starlight said. "Well...except for right after when Trixie teleported herself into a tree, but...but that was an accident! And it barely left a bruise on her! Or me, rather, since she was in my body. The point is, it was a perfectly safe spell!"

"Oh really? Then explain to me how you all managed to end up switching bodies, colors, and magical abilities?!" Twilight snapped.

"Uh, well...the...the spell...had a flaw?" Starlight said hesitantly.

"Yeah, Starlight, no joke!!!" Twilight was positively livid. "You could have all wound up permanantly damaged!"

"Oh, poo." Discord scoffed. "So we changed bodies and had to go without our own magic for two days. Big deal. It's not like we turned evil again and tried to take over Equestria."

"Discord, be quiet!" Twilight ordered.

"I will not!" He returned. "It was a good spell! So it flopped. Who cares? She'll fix it and do it right next time!"

Starlight grinned as Discord came to her rescue, in spite of his previous griping about doing so.

"Quiet!" Twilight commanded.

"No! I think its unfair of you to spoil our fun, Twilight!" Discord insisted. "None of us got hurt, so stop being so...so mother henish!"

"Discord, don't make me bring Fluttershy into this!" Twilight said warningly. "I'm sure she'd be thrilled to know you got involved in a highly dangerous venture!"

"Oh no. Not Fluttershy!" Discord exclaimed in genuine worry. "Why, she'll be furious. Don't bring her into this, Twilight!"

"Then hush!!!"

Discord clamped his mouth shut.

"Now," Twilight looked at the other three, eyes narrowed. "Trixie. I know you want to have a great magic show, but coming up with the plan for a dangerous spell is not appropriate! I don't care how great you want your show to be!!"

Trixie had the decency to look reasonably contrite as she focused on a very interesting spot on the floor near her hooves. Twilight turned slightly and looked at Thorax. Her mind blanked, her mouth hung motionless.

"You don't need to say it." He said. "I know. It wasn't a good plan."

Twilight took a breath and focused on Starlight.

"I don't even know where to start with you!" She said sternly. "It was a completely irresponsible thing to do!"

"Twilight, I'm telling you, I went over that spell carefully!" Starlight said defensively. "I checked it three times! I even made sure it..." She broke off.

Twilight was standing snout to snout with her, her eyes boring into hers with a stare that paled a bit in comparison to Fluttershy's infamous one, yet would still make the pegasus proud anyway. Starlight cringed.

"You obviously didn't check it enough! Or else you miscalculated someplace!" Twilight said sternly. "That spell was clearly risky, and could have hurt you!"

"Ok. I'll be more careful with my spells." Starlight said.

"Not the point!" Twilight huffed. "The point is, don't try spells than can cause harm! Even if it had worked, it wasn't a very good plan! You just need to be yourselves in a magic show. Have fun. Not attempt to injure yourselves!"

"Yeah, ok." Trixie said. "Good chat. Now please, switch us back!!"

Twilight glared at them, drawing a breath and debating her next words.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just leave you to do it yourselves."

"Because I can't figure out any kind of reversal spell for this!" Starlight said. "I've tried for two days! I would have kept trying if you hadn't discovered us, but it would have taken me a really long time!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Fine."

Her horn glowed and minutes later they were all their normal selves.

"Yes! I'm back!" Discord shouted, snapping his talons several times and making it rain chocolate milk on Starlight's head.

She growled and glared at him before casting a spell to clean up. Trixie tested her magic by turning a plate into a flying saucer, complete with a teacup riding precariously on it. Thorax changed himself into a clone of Twilight, then Starlight, then back again to himself, smiling in relief.

"Alright, you're all switched back." Twilight said. "And I have one more thing to say to you."

Four pairs of eyes focused on her intently, not to mention worriedly.

"If anything even closely related to this happens again," Twilight said icily,"Starlight, Trixie, Thorax...I'll banish you to the moon for an undetermined amount of time!"

The three in question winced. Discord then spoke up.

"What about me?" He asked. "There really isn't much you can threaten me with."

"Oh yes, there is." Twilight smirked. "I'll turn you over to Fluttershy, along with a complete list of your actions."

Discord turned positively pale at those words. Other than the Elements of Harmony(which couldn't really be used against him due to Fluttershy's long ago promise not to use hers on him), Fluttershy was the only thing that actually scared him. Which was funny, considering her gentle nature.

"Ok, ok!" He said anxiously.

Twilight glared at each one in turn. "No more dangerous magic acts! None! Do I make myself clear??"

"Very." Starlight said.

Twilight turned and left the room, muttering under her breath about idiotic stunts. For a long moment, no one moved or spoke. Then Trixie broke the silence.

"So, check the spell and test it again?"

"Got it." Starlight answered.

"I'll lend some assistance." Discord offered. "Make sure it doesn't backfire this time."

"Thanks." Starlight said.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie's Magic Show will be even better with this act!" Trixie announced.

"Do none of you remember Twilight's threats?" Thorax asked.

"Don't worry!" Starlight said. "Once I double check my work and make sure its right, nothing will go wrong."

"If you say so." Thorax said worriedly.

Starlight grabbed a paper. "Let me just check here...add...uh huh...add...yeah...oh no, take that out, add this...no, wait, add over here...hmmm...oh, and if you divide here..." Her speech faded into incohereant muttering.

"Did any one ever tell you that you are extremely calculating?" Discord asked with a slight grin.

"Oh, be quiet, Discord!" Trixie snapped. "She's concentrating! And besides that, your jokes are really starting to hurt my head!"

"Got it!" Starlight crowed.

Her horn lit up, and a flash of loud, bright magic filled the room. Once they could see, they examined themselves. Starlight growled.

"Oh for crying out loud!! Again??! What is wrong with this spell??! I went over everything carefully!"

"Trixie thinks we should have listened to Twilight." Trixie said.

"Oh, so now you tell me that!" Starlight exclaimed.

"Well, why did you agree to try it again?!" Trixie demanded.

"Honestly, I'm beginning to have fun." Discord said, chuckling.

"Well, we won't when Twilight finds out!" Starlight huffed.

As if on cue, Twilight came back into the room. She froze, taking in the scene before her. She facehoofed and then lit her horn, changing them back to normal.

"One more time..." she muttered. "Just one...and I'm keeping my promises!"

She grabbed a book and marched out again.

"Let's just go with a regular finale." Trixie said.

"Agreed." Thorax nodded.

"May as well." Starlight huffed. "This spell is useless!"

She flung it down and stamped on it, her hoof causing it to tear in the center. Discord looked down at it, a wide and mischievous grin crossing his face.

"Starlight," he said, laying his claw on her back.

His tone was one of mirth, and it soundrd like he was fighting back laughter. Trixie arched an eyebrow. Starlight looked up at the draconequis narrowly.

"Discord." She said through clenched teeth. "Whatever joke you're thinking of saying...don't. Just don't."

Discord pointed at the paper, covered in scribbles, complex math, and now a long tear, and ignored her warning entirely.

"That spell. You have only...scratched the surface of its problems."

This time, he was hit squarely in the head by one of many books that all three of his companions threw at him.

Author's Note:

Ok. That's a wrap! (I think...LOL)

I apologise if any of the jokes and puns in this story were lamer than a duck with one leg...:raritywink:

I hope you enjoyed it!!!

Comments ( 3 )

Are you completely finished with the story, or is there an epilogue?

9208398
There might be an epilogue...I'm debating it. Right now my brain needs a break from all the bad jokes. :rainbowlaugh:

But seriously. I may do an epilogue chapter, if I can come up with an idea for one. If anyone wants to leave ideas in the comments on what they might like to see in an epilogue, that would be great. I'll look through them and see what I can come up with.:pinkiesmile:

I think a good epilouge would be strlight realising she could just use a visual illison spell or makeup to make them look like each other and act like eachoter like an actor would.

Login or register to comment