• Published 22nd Feb 2018
  • 2,059 Views, 12 Comments

Just the Way You Are - Autumn Jade



Fluttershy is suffering from bullying, causing her to gain Bulimia.

  • ...
3
 12
 2,059

You are Beautiful

Fluttershy had always had a great outlook on life. She had wonderful friends, an amazing girlfriend, and although she didn't have a good childhood, she now had a loving home with her girlfriend, Twilight Sparkle. The former pony-princess had finally moved from Equestria after falling for the timid teenage girl, and ever since, Fluttershy had grown even happier, especially after the Fall Formal when Sunset finally stopped bullying her. She finally had a group of girls she could call her family. She thought the bullying would finally cease, however, this was not the case.

Fluttershy never thought she was "fat," but that didn't stop others from telling her she was. OF course, she never told anyone about the bullying, she was too scared to. She simply stopped eating, and when she did eat to make her friends not worry, she just threw up what she ate afterward. Her "eating habits," however, didn't go unnoticed.


"Um...Fluttershy?" Rainbow asked, and Fluttershy looked up from her tray, snapping from her thoughts.

"Yes?" She responded in confusion.

"Are you okay? Aren't you gonna eat?" Rainbow has asked what everyone, especially Twilight, was thinking.

"Oh...I...yes! I was just thinking..." Fluttershy replied as she shakily lifted her fork into her hands and gently stabbed a few pieces of lettuce and tomato with it. As she placed the food in her mouth and began to chew on it, Diamond Tiara and Silverspoon walked by with smirks on their faces. Diamond pointed at her and the two started to snicker. Their gossip, unfortunately, was missed by everyone except Fluttershy,"I think I'm finished now..." She whispered after swallowing the bite. She sighed as she put her fork back on her tray.

"But you've only eaten one bite Sugar. Ya gotta be at least a little hungry!" Applejack commented, noticeable concern covering her voice.

"More than a little hungry! I found your untouched dinner in the garbage this morning, and you didn't eat breakfast. What's wrong?" Twilight asked, making Fluttershy blush with embarrassment as she looked at the floor.

"I...I just..."

"Are you sick?" Sunset asked as she took a sip of her water.

"Yeah! If you are I'm sure Twily would be happy to take you home!" Pinkie intervened with a caring smile as she stuffed another chocolate cupcake in her mouth.

"Come on Sweetie," Twilight continued to press on,"You know you can talk to me, just tell me what's-"

"-I'm just not hungry okay!?" Fluttershy snapped, cutting Twilight off she jumped to her feet and raced from the cafeteria, leaving six shocked teenagers.

"Clearly..." Twilight replied under her breath as she narrowed her eyes.


Fluttershy cried as she ran down the hallway, her tears blurring her vision, so she wasn't able to see the girls in front of her. Slamming into them, she knocked all three of them to the floor,"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry I-"

"Ugh, watch where you're going..." Adasgio groaned as she slowly stood to her feet, the other former Dazzling's following suit,"Oh no wonder you were able to knock all three of us over! Your fat body could have suffocated us all!" Adasgio's words made the both Aria and Sonata laugh while they began to circle their victim.

"Gosh! How does Twilight stand to be with you?! You're so fat and ugly!" Aria laughed while crossing her arms.

"N-no! That's not true! Twilight loves me!" Fluttershy protested, tears threatening to leave her eyes.

"Oh please!" Adasgio exclaimed with a smirk as she grabbed Fluttershy's shirt collar and slammed her body against the wall of lockers behind them. Fluttershy gasped in pain as she began to whimper,"She doesn't love you! She pities you!"

"N-no! You-you're lying!" The yellow teen was shaking now, and tears had begun to roll down her cheeks.

"Am I? You know deep down I'm right. You know you don't deserve her! She deserves better than an overweight girl like you."

"She would be better off dating a tree!" Sonata added.

"Why don't you do everyone here a favor and just disappear?" Aria concluded before Adasgio threw Fluttershy to the floor, and walking off laughing.

Tears flowing freely, Fluttershy picked herself up and rushed into a nearby bathroom, collapsed against the wall, and sliding to the floor. Burying her face in her knees she cried,"W-why does everyone h-hate me?!" She screamed to herself.

"I don't hate you," a familiar voice whispered as footsteps approached her.

"Huh...?" Fluttershy muttered and looked up to see one of her newest friends in front of her,"Oh...hey Wallflower..." She said, wiping her eyes. Her friend sat down in front of her.

"I saw Adasgio push you, but you had already run off before I could get there. Why would they say such horrible things to you like that?" Fluttershy shrugged.

"I don't know...a lot of girls do...they just don't like me."

"For the record, you are not overweight. You are more underweight than anything. I mean have you looked in the mirror lately?" After she shook her head no, Wallflower stood, and pulled Fluttershy to her feet, and turned her to face the mirror,"Does that girl you see look fat or obese?"

"Well...no...not exactly...but-"

"Then you have no reason to listen to what they say. You're perfect just the way you are!" Wallflower encouraged, giving her friend a warm smile.

"Th-thanks Wallflower. You're a really great friend."

"No problem," Wallflower replied, before the two shared a short hug, and leaving the room, heading to their next class.


The rest of the day went by with less dread than usual for Fluttershy. Wallflower's words had really touched her, and she was doing her best to follow them. Of course, her girlfriend was still worried for her, and she was determined to find out what was wrong.

"Fluttershy? Can we talk?" Twilight asked as she drove down the street slowly. She had earned her driver's license shortly after moving to Canterlot, and ever since she drove both herself and Fluttershy to and from school every day.

"Sure Twily, what about?" Fluttershy responded innocently, though most of her attention was on the road ahead of them.

"What was really bothering you at lunch today?" Fluttershy's eyes widened, but she knew she couldn't get away with changing the subject or lying, so it was best, to tell the truth. Besides, if she could tell Wallflower what was going on, why couldn't she tell her girlfriend?

"Well...some girls at school have been calling me...fat." Twilight slammed on the breaks, pulling the car over.

"What."

"Mhm...and um...I listened and tried to make them stop by...not eating, but that hasn't helped either..."

"Let me see."

"See what?"

"Your stomach. Let me see." Fluttershy gulped. Twilight had that look in her eyes and tone in her voice. She couldn't explain it, but whenever Twilight got this way. She was angry. Very angry. Slowly, she lifted her tank top, showing her stomach and upper body. The outline of her ribs was showing. Twilight gasped,"Sweetie! How did this happen? You can't be Anorexic! I see you eat all the time? How?!"

"I eat and then...throw up what I eat or take Laxatives..."

"Oh...you're suffering from a Bulimia Disorder...I see..." Twilight sighed and rubbed her temples,"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well...I was afraid you would agree with them..."

"That you're fat?! Look at yourself! Even if I wanted to believe them I couldn't!"

"Not about that! About...something else..." Fluttershy looked down. Now Twilight was confused. Gently, she placed her hand on Fluttershy's leg.

"You're not just being picked on...you're being bullied." Twilight sighed,"Tell me."

"What?" Fluttershy asked in confusion, looking up at her girlfriend.

"Tell me what people have been telling you."

"Well...other than saying I'm fa-...overweight, some girls have been saying that you don't really love me, that you just pity me." Fluttershy wiped a few tears away with her hand,"Do you love me?"

"Flutters..." Twilight breathed,"Yes! Of course I love you! Do you think I would have left Equestria if I didn't love you? Give up my crown? My home? I love you more than anything this world could offer! I never once 'pitied,' you, I love you!"

Fluttershy smiled and leaned across the seat to hug Twilight, who returned the embrace with a light kiss," Thanks, Twilight. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before."

"Don't worry about it. I understand it can be hard to tell someone about problems like this. You don't even have to tell me who is doing this. It's probably better that I don't know anyway." Fluttershy laughed at this,"Now, how about we get home and get you something to eat, then watch a few movies together?"

"I would like that very much." Smiling, Twilight kissed Fluttershy's hand and gave it a small squeeze, before pulling back onto the road and heading toward their home.

Author's Note:

This story takes places a few months after Forgotten Friendship. However in this universe, Sci-Twi is not a thing, it's just Princess Twilight, who left Equestria. (I did this because it makes things less confusing, no matter how much I love Sci-Twi...XD)

I've always liked the idea of the Dazzling's coming back as school bullies, even if they are powerless.

Also, I got the idea for this story from my Lifetime Wellness course I'm taking. We are currently talking about Mental Health, and today we discussed eating disorders. When we got to Bulimia, the idea for this story came to me. Let me know what you think!

Comments ( 12 )

I like this...a lovely little short story! my only gripe is that there is no "s" in adagio's name lol

8751078
Oh...whoops XD Well thanks for letting me know! (yeah I can't spell to save my life...)

Can you continue this story with a epilgue sure confronting the Dazzlings can be tough but Twilight can make them knwo oen thing.
If fluttershy died from their bullying...she make them beg to been sent to Tatarus.

8751284
I will certainly think about it. :)

Comment posted by Midnight Ambassador deleted Feb 22nd, 2018

That's pretty good. I also like the idea of The Dazzling's returning to Canterlot High as bullies without their magic, but seriously; picking on Fluttershy for any reason at all is a crime in itself. Let's be honest, Fluttershy is the weakest out of the EqG Main 7, but she does have determination and confidence, plus a heart that is very sensitive, but also brave and full of spirit. So anybody who decides to bully her is just a big coward, because she's the weakest. :ajbemused: Still, hope to hear more from you, maybe do a sequeal where Twilight and Fluttershy deal with the whole situation. :pinkiesmile:

8752640
I'm considering doing a sequel, yes. I do agree with that too, I actually almost made this story a SciSet story, but I felt like this situation would fit Fluttershy better.

Honestly, the one thing I want to downvote is the refusal to have Sci Twi be here. Between the two of them, she and Pirncess Twilight can work out a way that bennifits all the girls and not have one not be there.

Only way this works as is is too redo when this is set to before the Friendship Games so that they don't know her yet.

Comment posted by Dragonlord_ember_fanboy deleted Nov 16th, 2018
Comment posted by Autumn Jade deleted Nov 16th, 2018

8758891
Me too! :pinkiegasp:try not to let get on your skin:fluttercry:

This is well-written.

Login or register to comment