• Published 17th Dec 2017
  • 3,750 Views, 1,495 Comments

Life of a Wanted Changeling Season 4: At Luck's End (Comment Driven Story) - BrownDog77



The Final Adventure of Bugze the Changeling, AKA You. (Comment Driven Story)

  • ...
11
 1,495
 3,750

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 3: Lessons in Food and Lodgings

As you stare out onto the alien road, lit by countless lights, you feel as though you would be impressed if you didn’t feel so drained.

“It’s weird. Not a few hours ago we woke up and had pancakes with Nightshade and Grandbuggy, and now I just want to go back to bed and forget the whole day.”

Shock can do that. That and the fact that you’ve repeatedly slammed your head into hard objects, both deliberately and accidentally, Selena chimes.

“Yeah…but I’ve done that before and not been tired. This stupid body is way too weak and sensitive. I kind of just want to sleep now,” you say as you look at your side.

APonyReadingFanFic’s Comment:You could sleep in the inventory. (Someone might take it during the night, though.)

Tartarus Fire’s Comment

Your transformed inventory still has impossible space inside, and you have fit countless large inside of it, despite the opening being no bigger than a book. Not to mention it’s where Nightshade slept for the longest time, before she started getting more independent.

“I should reasonably fit inside this…Ah what the hay. This way I don’t have to spend precious bits,” you reason.

I don’t know Bugze, what if some human were to take it during the night? Asks Selena. You pause at that as the thought of being carried off by some thieving mythical monster comes to your mind. Shaking your head you say,

“I’ll have to take that risk. I’ll make sure to hide it though. Noling ever looks behind a dumpster.”

As you get closer to the garbage bin though, the stench really hits you.

“Oh geeze,” you gag. “What the buck do humans throw away that smells that bad?” breathing through your mouth, you open up your Inventory Purse and start to put your foot inside.

As you attempt to worm your way through the opening, you manage to get stuck.

"Gorramit! I'm getting stuck!"

Hmm, the entrance to the saddlebags must have been changed as well...the mare in your head theorizes.

"Really? An unlimited place to store stuff, but not a decent entrance? Ripoff!!!"

Selena chuckles,

Sort of like a reverse genie.Regardless, you should crawl out now before you are unable to.

“Ugh! Can’t anything go my way today?” you groan as you shimmer back and forth, unstucking yourself like Winnie the Pooh.

“Ok, now what?” you ask aloud as you put the inventory back over your shoulder. “I mean, I have slept in smelly places before…”

Down With Chrysalis’s Comment

You briefly consider sleeping in the alleyway, at least for tonight anyway. But that thought is immediately thrown out the window when you see just how dirty the alleyway is, and what was making the smell.

“Is that rotting meat!? Oh that is just disgusting! Wait...what in the name of Luna is that moldy thi-OH SWEET LUNA IT MOVED!!!” you shout as you swear you see the amorphous blob of brown goo move.

It’s just mold, it’s not mo-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

Needless to say, you ran out of that alley faster than you did from that school. Or rather, you did the approximation of running you’ve been doing, which is still full of stumbles. Stumbles that lead you directly into traffic of those fast metal carriages.

“Ah! Whoa Now! EEP!” you dodge the alien carriages whose drivers clearly don’t understand that a changeli-po-person walking in front of them means slow down.

“This must have been what that virtual frog felt like! Why did I never consider his feelings?!” you shout as you roll out of the way of a larger carriage.

“Get out of the street ya moron!”

“Get a job bum!”

“What’s your problem Schmuck?!” several voices from the carriages call out, no doubt from evil human lips.

“I’m sorry! Walking on two legs is hard!” you cry out in anguish as you stumble and fall on your face in the middle of the road.

Bugze get up before one of these carriages hits you.

“Ya Blithering Drunk!” *HONK*

“AGH! What a horrible sound!” you cry out as you place your hands to your ears. “AH! My ears are all weird and flat! Oh Luna, one of the finger things went inside!”

In your disgust, you manage to bolt upright and make it to the other side of the street, only falling twice more. Once you get to the other side, you see a few pedestrian humans giving you strange looks.

“Cheese and Rice, you things look hideous!” you cry out causing a few of them to scowl.
Before they have a chance to retaliate, you stumble away from the ape monsters down a quieter road.

“OK, that was a harrowing experience through the pits of Tartarus itself.”

You crossed one road. Very poorly I might add, Selena snarks.

“And got away from that disgusting alley way at least. These damned dirty apes and their stupid speeding bullet machines.”

Yes, perhaps you should refrain from insulting their appearances to their faces? We don’t want them to know we come from another reality after all, she points out.

“Ugh, that’s going to be tough. They’re all stringy and their faces are flat.”

Well if we’re going to find an Inn of some sort, you’re going to have to get over your disgust.

“I’m not gonna get over it…but I’ll try to hide it I guess,” you relent as you shuffle down the sidewalk. While it’s only just gotten dark, this street seems nearly abandoned, and covered in trash. Indeed, you noticed before when running from Crystal Prep Academy that the area was nice and polished, but once you crossed a rail road track in your mad dash, the area started to look more run down.

“Great, it’s like the alley way has expanded it’s evil rotting mold influence. Ugh, now where am I going to find some place to-“
You come across a semi-rundown building with a big glowing sign on the front of it that says,


DESPERATE LODGINGS

Right under the sign in tiny print are the words,

For when even your parents’ house is a worse last resort.
You can't help but raise your brow at this as you think,

Well isn't that just nice?

Sadly I believe we are that desperate, unless you believe that alleyway will be a better opti-

NOPE! THIS PLACE IS PERFECT! NO LIVING NIGHTMARE MOLD HERE!
With that panicked thought you begin to head in. Only…

Kersey475’s Comment

You try to open the door that clearly says "PULL" on it, but you have trouble getting your hand to grab the handle.

“Come on, come on…” you mutter as you try and fail to use your new appendages.

Just grip it with your thumb and forefinger, the rest will follow suit, Sombra says matter of factly.

“The Tartarus is a thumb?” you groan back as you flail your fingers around. In frustration you basically end up slapping the doorknob with your useless human hand,

"Stupid, doornob, won't, work!" you shout. “Oh what I wouldn’t give for some good ol dexterous, easy to use hooves! Heck with this, we’re doing this the Earth Pony way!”

You then bend in front of the door knob and open your mouth to grip it in your teeth.

Bugze, I can already tell you that won’t work. Your new mouth is too sma-*SLAM*

“GYAGH!” you stumble backwards and fall down after the doorknob swung out and hit you in the forehead.

“Excuse me,” comes a half hearted apology as some scraggly and pungent smelling human with a beard walks past you and into the night.
Groaning and rubbing the bump on your head, you notice that the smelly human left the door open.

“Thank you!” you call to his retreating form, and he gives a grunt of acknowledgement. With the impassable barrier collapsed, you enter into the supposed Inn.

Kazume Michishige’s Comment

And immediately trip over a large mass and fall to the floor.

“OOMPH!” you grunt as you hit the ground for like the 50th time tonight.

This is such bullspit! How can anything walk on two legs? It’s physically impossible!

The dragon in Ponyville has a hang on it, Selena counters.

Yeah well…He’s a fluke. Even more of a reason for Nightshade not to be alone with him. Weird bipedalness…

And while Selena rolls her eyes at your overprotectiveness, you turn and see what you tripped over. It’s a sleeping human, laying on the floor right in front of the doorway. Despite you tripping over him, he hasn’t even woken up. The guy just mutters something before turning over in his sleep. Looking around, you can see that there are a large number of humans sleeping on the floor.

Wow this place is a dump, You think as you get back to your feet and make your way past the maze of sleeping homeless people.

Far better than that alleyway, Selena says.

Oh ya, no contest…though that alley didn’t actually have people in it…Your mind flashes back to the rotting meat smell and moving mold. NOPE! No, you’re right. This is better.

Despite the smell, it is preferable to rotting meat, so you make your way to what looks like the desk, which has another human behind it snoring, holding what looks like two action figures.

Ugh, I’ve actually got to talk to it…you mentally groan before clearing your throat, but the human guy behind the counter does not stir?

“Excuse me?” You ask, but still no response. Whimpering, you reluctantly reach out with your overly sensitive hands and touch the Human’s shoulder.

“Hello?!” The human jerks awake startling you and almost making you fall again.

“He-Man!?” He shouts almost fearfully looking around before noticing you, “Oh, just another homeless guy. We’re pretty full, but there might be a spot or two left on the floor. Need bedding?” He reaches down behind the desk and tosses a bundle at you. “Here you go. First night is free, gotta pay after that.” The bundle hits your chest and falls to the ground as you try to grab it.

“Ugh! Stupid unresponsive spider limbs!” you groan. You eventually pick up the padding, which smells faintly of sour milk, using nothing but your forearms. You then give a quick thanks to the man behind the desk, who doesn’t hear you as he starts playing with his action figures.

“Nyeh! I will conquer Castle Greyskull fool!” he says in a nasally voice moving around the purple and blue figure with a skeletal face. You slowly back away from this weirdo and start looking for a place to sleep on the floor.

You eventually find a semi private corner. Semi Private in the sense that the nearest human to you is two feet away as opposed to cuddling you, but it’s all you got.

Pulling your hooded sweatshirt over your weirdly shaped head, you lay down on the smelly mattress and sigh aloud.

Bucking Humans… Bucking Jack for sending me here…Bucking Lady Luck…

Would you have come if you had known?Selena asks.

Yes! Definitely!Sombra replies.

Wasn’t asking you! She chides before asking you again, So would you?

Well…I mean…you remember why you’re here in the first place and sigh again. Yeah, I guess I would have still come, you admit. This is for your sake after all. I made a promise to you remember?

I have not forgotten my bug, she says with a smile. I just wanted to know. Try to get some rest, I will remain alert to your any potential danger.

Thanks Sel…though I don’t know how easy that will be. My freaking spine is different, and I feel all squishy.

Why not use the knock out plushie? She offers. You faceho-palm at that.

I keep forgetting about that handy dandy tool. Well, let’s hope it works here too.

Kersey475’s Comment

You reach in and try to get the Luna plush from the Inventory, only to find you still don't quite know how to work the- ugh- fingers properly

"Oh come on! Stupid wriggly humany fingers!" you growl under your breath.

Haven't you ever disguised yourself as a minotaur or perhaps a griffin? Anything really with opposable digits? Selena asks.

"I suck at changing, remember? Now fing you stupid fingers, FING!!!" you grunt as you try to grab the Luna plushie.

I told you, Sombra says sounding matter of factly, You need to grip with the thumb and forefinger. That’s how Peter picks his fruit.

“Yeah? Well Peter can go buck off the edge of my horn then…If I still had one,” you lament. “And seriously, what’s a thumb?”

The big fat one, he mutters sounding grumpy. Who hates Peter? Honestly.

“Rational Equines, that’s who!” You look at your five fingers and notice that one of them is in fact different and fatter from the rest.

“This is such a weird design…” After a few tries though, you are able to snag the desired plushie.

"Finally! Sweet dreams here I come.” You then stare into the doll’s eyes, and before you know it, you’re out like a light.

The Next Day

Roker12’s Comment

8bitMadness’s Comment

You awaken to find that most of the other sleeping people are gone, and despite everything, you feel well rested.

“Well, guess I wasn’t robbed in my sleep. Now I have to….Uh Oh...”

What? What is it? Asks Selena.
There is something you have to do, but you now must do it as a human.

“I, uh…I have to use the bathroom,” you whimper in dread.

After finding the one, nastiest bathroom inside this whole place, let’s just say it was traumatizing. Now you understand why humans always wear clothes.

“Not only are my dangly bits shaped wrong, but I have nipples on my chest! What sense does that make?! I’m a guy! Why are humans so gross?!”
But after that ordeal, you realized yet another horrible truth. You were hungry.

After asking the weird desk clerk about cheap food, he pointed you to some restaurant with a big yellow M out front.


“Well, it does look like a typical fast food place. Plus that guy did say there were burgers here.”

I doubt he was speaking of Oat Burgers. Can’t you smell it? Selena asks, causing you to stop and sniff. When you do, you stiffen.

“Is…Is that meat?”

It smells similar, but something’s off about it, she says warily, scenting countless oils and grease.

“Well we can forget that. I’m an herbivore. The last time I ate meat, it was Sombra’s smokey hide.”

I wasn’t smoke when you chewed me! That pain was unimaginable!

“Yeah, exactly. So I don’t exactly have a good track record. Besides, there’s no way that smell can make me-“
Your stomach gives off a wailing call like a dying beluga whale, and suddenly, the aroma coming from the place seems much more inviting.

“On the other hand, maybe it’s not meat!” you declare as you head inside. After ordering the first thing you see on the menu above a younger human, you were asked to pay. Since you didn’t have this world’s currency, you pulled out four bits, standard price for an Oat Burger. The human behind the counter seemed startled.

“Is…is this gold?!” the pop mark faced teen squeaked.

“Yeah,” you nod. “Why? Is that not accepted?” The teen quickly looks around before answering,

“Uh, N-no no. It’s fine. Enjoy your meal sir!”
Your bag of mystery food is all but thrown at you as the human pockets the coins instead of putting them in the register. You’d question that if you weren’t so hungry.

Sitting down at one of the tables-

“This is such a weird way to sit. How does Lyra stand it?!”

-You open your bag of food and behold your meal. The fries are pretty much the same as the ones in Equestria, not much changes when cooking a potato, so you scarf them down. The burger on the other hand…

“I…I think it is meat. But if that’s so, then why is my mouth watering so much?” you proclaim in confusion as you clumsily pick up the cheap food.


There is absolutely no possible way you could ever get that disgusting slab of...definitely not meat past your lips, Bugze. I will not allow it, Selena warns, sounding like she’s an inch away from assuming direct control.

"But...food..." You say, almost hurting to give up such a delicious smelling meal.

Oh let him have his fun, this is quite enjoyable regardless... Sombra chuckles.
Your stomach rumbles, much louder than it had to signal your initial hunger.

“It smells tasty though,” you argue.

You said it yourself Bugze, you’re a herbivore. Even then, this thing seems to be mostly just grease and chemicals.I can't have you killing yourself by eating trash.

"But I'm not a pony or a changeling right now, how would you know if my digestive system was compatible with the usual foods or not?" You ask, somehow using your meager intelligence to its limit to construct a logical line of questioning.

That's... A good question actually. Wretch, you're the human expert around here, what do humans usually eat?

Based on the show, they're omnivores. I've never seen them eating things like grass though, so I doubt humans can digest complex plant protein. Maybe they use it as a source of fiber?

"Oh great, now he's making head-canons," You complain, not wanting to listen to Sombra any further.

Well, if you’re omnivorous…but still, this thing can’t be healthy Bugze, she implores.

“Of course it’s not healthy. It’s fast food,” you instruct as your stomach grumbles more. “And it’s true I may be a herbivore…but that’s Equestria Bugze. This disgusting body needs what it wants!”

And with that declaration, you open your jaws to indulge yourself, only to be stopped when you hear someling say,

“Excuse me?”

Looking to the side, you see what you can only describe as a Gothy looking human mare. She has long dark hair, heavy makeup, wears all black clothing, and sounds like if Maud Pie was bored with the world.

“Uh…yes?” you venture.

“I just wanted to say, like…I’m a big fan,” she says in that bored like tone.

“Huh?” you sputter in utter confusion. “A fan?”

“Yeah. ‘Would You Kindly?’ is like, my life’s soundtrack.”
The words are slow and still sound bored, but there is a faint smile on the female’s make-uped face.

“What are you talking about?” you ask. Her face barely registers emotion, but you do notice a slight eyebrow raise.

“You are, like, The Hooded Offender aren’t you?”

If you had had any food or liquid in your mouth, you would have spit them all over the floor.

“I-Uh-Wh-H-Guh-“ you sputter.

How the buck did someling recognize me already!

You are wearing the sweater hood up! Selena remarks sounding worried herself.

Balls! Aw crud! Is she gonna turn me in? I gotta run! I gotta hide! I gotta-

“I’ll take that as a yes,” she continues. “Don’t worry, I’m not one of those, like, nutjob fans, I know you disappeared from the spotlight, I won’t tell. I’m still bummed you all broke up, even if it has been ten years, but I don’t blame you. Your songs are still awesome.”

Your brain kind of crashes at that.

“Songs?”

Just_Another_Guy’s Comment

“Yeah man. The Wanted is still my favorite band.”

The Wanted…I knew there was something off about that poster! Oh Sweet Luna!

What is this female getting at Bugze? Asks Selena, still confused.

Our evil human counterparts aren’t public enemy’s, We’re a freaking Band!

A band? As in musicians? She asks bemused.

Yeah. That old poster was an advertisement! And it was all old and crusty because the band broke up ten years ago…

“Um…Thank you?” you say unsuredly.

“No problem. You rock Offender. I’m still one of your biggest fans,” she says still in her monotone.

Biggest fans? Oh no…Oh Luna No! you start panicking. You get flashbacks to a news report about how Justin Beaver was dragged into a closet by crazed fan fillies saying they wanted to carry his foals, despite his screams for help. You’re doppelganger is a rock star, so what if…

“So,” she speaks again, causing you to start, “I know this is kind of much but…”

Oh gods No! IT’S ALREADY HAPPENING!!!

“Can I like, have your-“

"NO! NOT ME HUMAN! I'M SAVING IT FOR MARRIAGE!!" you scream as you throw your burger at the girl, and run out the door as fast as your shaky legs let you.

In the burger joint, other patrons look very confused by the outburst, and at the gothy looking girl with the hamburger smeared against her shirt.

“…Autograph?” she finishes her sentence in confusion.



As you run into the daylight, you pant and stumble and fall multiple times.

“I am not going to become like Sapphire Shores or that little twerp Pop Star! I’m not!”

Bugze, for goodness’ sake, Selena sighs at your idiotic jumping to conclusions.

“I can’t! Not in this body! Not in this world full of hideous creatures!”

I don’t know. That dark clothing and make up wasn’t all that unattractive, Sombra mumbles.

“I KNEW IT! You do want to buck some ugly ape monster!” you accuse.

I didn’t say that! Sombra defends.

“I’m not going to let you fulfill some weird fantasy of hooking up with your favorite cartoon characters!” Having shouted that aloud, several people on the street look at you with weird looks.

“Ah! More potential fanfillies! You’ll never take me alive!” you yell as you reach into your inventory and pull out the Power Glove.

Falx_of_Lume’s Comment

Sliding it over your fist, you aim the grappling hook and fire it at a rooftop, and sail away to safety!

-is what would have happened if you hadn’t screwed up the “sliding over your fist” part with your, still, unfamiliar tentacle-hoof-things and pathetically drop the glove before you could aim it.

Well that didn't go as planned. You think redundantly as you hear a hoof hitting someling’s forehead.

Look, I’m just saying that I didn’t find that woman disgusting, that doesn’t mean I want to mate with her, Sombra continues to defend.

“Yeah Sure. Just like Lyra’s fetish for claws and minotaur hands has no correlation you filthy Humy!” you shout aloud.

“Um, are you okay?” asks a voice from beside you.

"Gah!-The Fanfillies have caught me!” you yelp as you fall to your knees. “Not like this!"

“Dude?!” asks a concerned female voice.

"Please just make it quick!" you plead, closing your eyes shut.

Ex-cuse you?! Selena asks with a dangerous edge.

I mean, it’s not like I long for it or anything, but if it’s gonna happen, then you might as well let it ha-

What. Was. That? Selena asks in a voice as cold and foreboding as a frozen lake cracking.

Nothing! I wasn’t encouraging anything! He quickly corrects himself.
You snap your eyes open in determination.

“Oh sure you weren’t! I’ll never let you have what you secretly want Smokey!”

As you stand up, you startle the female human from before. Some green haired, pink girl with headphones on.

“I’m not the Hooded Offender! So leave me alone!”
She cocks her head to the side.

“The Hooded Offender? *Scoff* That dude and his band were sooo last decade,” she declares.

“Exactly! So Noling should be his fans!” you declare before running off, leaving countless pedestrians confused as Tartarus.

“Crazy Homeless Guy,” Lemon Zest mutters as she turns her tunes up and continues jogging.

Several Minutes Later

After some more running, proving you’re getting better at that than simple walking, you come to a stop and gasp for air near Desperate Lodgings.

“That was a close one. From now on, no more wearing the Hood!” you then reach in, and after a few mishaps, you finally pull out your stetson hat and place it on your head.

“There, now I’m inconspicuous.”

You’re wearing a cowboy hat with a sweatshirt, Selena deadpans.

“Ok fine, but at least no one can connect me to my doppelganger.”

Only one person even identified you, and you decided to be an idiot and blew everything out of proportions, she chides.

“Well I’m sorry, but King Crystal kept talking about his fetishes!”

I did no such thing you insect!!! Sombra growls in annoyance.

“Agree to disagree,” you shrug as you look back at the ramshackle inn.

What are we doing back here again? Asks Selena.

“Well, breakfast was a bust, but I do need to know where the nearest library is so I can start researching this world. Otherwise, we won’t know where to start looking for Tech or ancient Sea Ponies. The desk clerk might know where it’s at.”

You are about to enter the door, when you bump into another guy who had also been reaching for the handle. The same guy that swung the door in your face last night.

“Oh, excuse me,” he says.

“No, my bad. In fact, I’m still bad at these, why don’t youuuuu…” your mouth drops as you take in the homeless man in more detail, and he in turn gets a good look at you.

He has long, scruffy orange hair and a beard, and his eyes are blood shot red from some sort of substance. But there’s no mistaking the similarities, even he can see them.

He’s You.

Kichi’s Comment

8bitMadness’s Comment

"WHO ARE YOU!?" you both ask at the same time, in the exact same voice. You are absolutely dumbfounded. You already have found your counterpart.

"Wait a minute, you're me!" you both screech simultaneously.

"And I'm you!" you both continue, still somehow perfectly in sync. You somehow manage to be the first to break the pattern, launching into a strange sequence of questioning.

"If you're me, and I'm you, then WHO AM I? IS MY LIFE A LIE? WHY IS EVERYTHING SO COMPLICATED?!"

Your doppelganger doesn't hesitate and immediately slaps you. "I'm the one that should be asking that question! Who are we?! Did I just hit myself?!" he then punches himself under the jaw and collapses onto the ground.

“Yes! Yes I did! What was in that bottle?!” he croaks.

“But if you hit me, and you hit you, and I’m you, THEN WHO WAS PHONE?!” you yell out as you collapse right next to him.


Really Bugze? You're letting yourself get confused this easily? I mean, I know you're not that smart, but this is a new record.

“I’m not smart, so he’s not smart, which means…What does it mean?! Why am I a hobo?! I thought you, I, We were a rock star!”

“I was a rock star. You were a rock star! But then the band died man! It up and died!” your doppelganger sobs. “Oh God, Is This Real Life?!”

“I…I don’t know. I don’t know…” you mutter as you watch your counterpart crying on the ground and twitching from whatever is in his system.


Bugze, perhaps we should move on? Selena suggests.

“I don’t know, should I? I mean, this guy is me, so I guess I’m crying right now? Oh Geeze,” you rub your temple at the headache.

I know this is an inopportune moment, but I’d like to reiterate again, that I was not encouraging-

SHUT UP! Both you and Selena yell.

Your Homeless Former Rockstar Doppleganger is Crying at Your Feet.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Author's Note:

Well isn’t this Awkward?

Hey Hive Mind,

So yeah, I guess Bugze’s meeting his counterpart early. Not what anyone was expecting huh? Well if he’s anything like other former rock stars, his brain’s probably a bit fried, so have fun with that.

Anyway,here is the straw poll link to decide Bugze’s Opening Theme. I’ll keep it open till Friday to give you all enough time to vote. POLL CLOSED


This Chapter’s Question Is:

What should Bugze’s Ending Theme Be?

While you vote for the opening, we can get the candidates in for the closing theme as well.
So come on guys. Show me what you got.

See you on the Battlefield Hive Mind.

Brown Dog.

PreviousChapters Next