• Published 18th Sep 2017
  • 713 Views, 8 Comments

Rarity's Genesis - Impossible Numbers



A certain filly suffers a sleepless night. She loves art. She loves beauty. She loves ponies not instantly laughing at her like they do her parents. But it's her first day of school tomorrow, and she has to decide what kind of pony she's going to be.

  • ...
3
 8
 713

The Heart

This time, Rarity sat on the stone alone, watching the fillies on the swings and on the roundabout. Moodily, she chewed one of Applejack’s fritters. That particular show-and-tell had been delicious.

I don’t understand it. They loved the painting. Loved it. So… why am I still here? No one’s asked me to join in yet. And where’s Sparkler gone?

Chewing sullenly, she didn’t respond at first to the shadow falling over her. However, she did jump when a voice said, “Uh… can Ah join you?”

Wha?” Bits of fritter sprayed over the grass. Burning with humiliation, Rarity nodded her head and choked. Strong hooves beat her back.

“There we go.” Applejack sat down on the step while Rarity’s eyes watered. “Huh. Din’t have you down as a gulper. You got an Apple family appetite.”

Rarity stiffened… and then relaxed. No. Surely, trying to push ponies like Applejack away had been the problem from the start?

“One enjoys fine cuisine,” she said. She didn’t actually know what “cuisine” meant. She just wanted to sound gracious.

“You know, when we firs’ met, Ah thought you was just some Canterlot wannabe. Ah shouldn’t have said what Ah said, an’ Ah’m… uh… As much as you were lyin’ a bit… an’ a li’l snobby…”

“Gee. Thanks for that.” Rarity munched on the fritter.

“But… Ah shouldn’t have said them things Ah said. ‘Tweren’t nice. So… Granny says Ah owe you… an… Well… Ah’m s… Uh…” Giving up, she extended a hoof. “No hard feelin’s?”

Rarity swallowed, trying not to make it look or sound like a gulp: not easy when she hadn’t been taking ladylike bites. “I’m not a snob,” she said shortly.

“Well, all the fancy words an’ art an’ stuff… An’ you sayin’ you’re higher than y’are…”

“That’s not my genre. You can’t tell me what I am and what I am not!”

Applejack shot up and snapped, “Take it easy! Ah ain’t makin’ fun o’ you! Sheesh! You don’t want me around, Ah’ll go –”

Panic snapped Rarity’s heart. “No wait! Please! Don’t go. I didn’t mean that.”

Once more, Applejack sat back down. “Huh. You say a lotta things, don’tcha? It’s jus’ you can be such a bratty thing at times.”

“No I can’t! Me? Bratty? The very idea!” Rarity tried a chuckle, not very convincingly.

All the same, she had found that other book last night. The one she tried to hide behind the wardrobe. Didn’t work, of course. Hiding it somehow made it more obvious to her. So instead, she’d spent most of yesterday poring over the hoof-written or mouth-written genealogies and along the photos taped inside.

Canterlot ponies, after all, took a keen interest in pedigree. Family history. Trees. Who was related to whom.

She groaned.

“What’s wrong?” said Applejack gently.

The tears were coming. Pre-emptively, she sniffed. “Maybe I am just a bratty little snob. Maybe I was born to be one.”

“Born? Shucks, Rarity…”

“Will you let me finish?” she snapped.

Stunned, Applejack lowered her would-be comforting forelimb. “OK?”

“I’ll never be a Canterlot noble, will I? My parents are as far away from being nobles as… as… as a pig in a mudhole! There! I said it! I’m going to grow up wearing those horrid shirts and saying those stupid things! I’m going to be sniggered at for the rest of my life!”

“Why?” said Applejack.

Rarity pouted at the ground. “It’s my genre.”

“Ha! You don’t half say the darnedest things!”

“All right, then, it’s my destiny. My nature. My identity. My… me.”

“Oh, that. That’s just poppy talk. You don’t wanna go believin’ that. Ah mean, look at me. Ah come from a long line of apple farmers, but…” She glanced around conspiratorially.

Rarity leaned forwards, fascinated by the “but”. “What?”

Behind a hoof, Applejack whispered, “Ah’m gonna be leavin’ soon. Ah’m headin’ for the s’phisticated life in Manehattan. No apple farmin’ for me. Ah’m choosin’ mah own me.”

“Choosing your own me? I mean, choosing your own you? I mean… But… How?”

“Well, Aunt an’ Uncle Orange do a lot of charity work. So Ah got to thinkin’: maybe they’re onto somethin’. Maybe the best way of doin’ good for others is to think big. Manehattan ponies help all kinds of causes. Ah reckon if Ah wanna do more than feed ponies treats an’ help family round the farm, that’s the next step up. Helpin’ loads of ponies at once!”

“You mean…” Rarity licked her lips at the word. “Philanthropy?”

“Ah mean helpin’ ponies. Givin’ ‘em stuff. Easier to give ‘em stuff in a rich place like Manehattan, with all them ponies around. Right? Somethin’ to think about, eh?”

“Yes… something…”

When Applejack eventually left, Rarity’s mind was ticking away.


After school, Rarity retreated to her room once more. Her piggy bank – or rather her porcine savings account – shook in her grip. Counting the coins, she lit up with hope and then dimmed with disappointment.

Fifty seven bits? That’s nowhere near enough.

Perhaps the gemstones collection would provide? She lunged for the wardrobe and threw the doors back. Cheerfully, she tipped the tray over the carpet.

“So if philanthropy is about having a lot…” Under her breath she counted out the worth of the collection. “Red is one, green is two, purple is five… Oh, it’s still not enough. I need more. More. More! How can I be generous if I don’t have anything to be generous with?

She looked up and stopped. To her amazement, Sparkler was at the door.

Frowning.

“Um…” Rarity stared. First the blank look, then avoiding her, then frowning in her own home. Rarity’s upbringing shrugged helplessly at her.

When Sparkler eventually spoke, her voice was an icicle. “I never said I wanted to be painted.”

It took a moment for Rarity to remember; her mental imagery had tangled itself up. “Huh? Oh, you mean the painting? Well, I can explain. You see, your face had a delightfully relatable –”

“You didn’t ask if I wanted to be painted.”

Rarity frowned back. “Ask?”

“Yes. Ask. You used me. I thought you cared about me, but you just used me to get popular.”

“Oh, no no no! Ahahaha! You’ve got it wrong, you silly filly. See, it’s a privilege to be painted by an artist. I was doing you a favour. Lots of ponies pay good money for –”

“I hate being painted!” The ice cracked. “And I hate being used!

Rarity spluttered. The world was cracking around her, and she had no idea why. “But – aren’t we friends?”

“NO!”

Sparkler spun round, and then spun back.

“And you know what the worst part is? Everyone wants to be like you now! You got it into Applejack’s head that the noble thing to do is go off and be a snob!” Tears ran down her cheeks. “You’re the worst friend ever!”

Utterly lost, Rarity gaped at her. Then a thought struck her. Perhaps generosity was missing. Quickly, she levitated one of the gemstones.

“Would you like one?” she said gently.

Sparkler batted it so hard it soared out of the window. Sullenly, she went out.

Hurrying to the window, Rarity held her breath. Not my first friend! Surely not!? Please don’t let it be so… She could see the gemstone where it had landed in the mud.

To her surprise, she saw Sparkler stop on her way past. She saw her look at the gemstone. She saw her pick it up. Twirl it experimentally.

Sparkler left.

A flicker of hope fought for life in Rarity’s chest. Maybe… one day soon…?

But then she caught sight of the painting in the corner. It showed a filly, plain and frumpy around the mane. It showed her peering into a mirror. It showed the reflection, a filly bejewelled and curling elegantly like a well-crafted Princess. Gemstones surrounded the figure. The filly looked into the mirror longingly, sadly, almost hungrily.

Only after staring at the painting for a few minutes did Rarity realize her mistake. She hung her head in shame. She’d seen too much. Shown too much.

She knew without a doubt that Sparkler was never coming back.

Comments ( 6 )

Some of Estee's latest stories, Rarity's father is retired hoofball player turned scout & that's why they travel so often. He's on the road scouting teams & his wife goes with them. They leave Sweetie with Rarity so she won't miss school.

8434046

8434498

Given that I had no concrete explanation or elaboration of that multiple-vacations observation (not even in the fic itself; it's a throwaway line), I am legitimately puzzled by the fact that this is getting so much focus in the comments. :applejackconfused: It's not that big a distraction, is it?

8434866
No, not really. But, up until S6 none of the Mane 6 (except Pinkie) had much about their parents shown (Rarity's had the most & that was just some cameos) & so there was a LOT of fan speculation.

8435085

At the risk of sounding sappy, if I had a comment like this every twenty four hours, I'd never be in want of satisfaction. This has completely made my day. Thank you very much! :raritystarry:

Heavens, I felt that.

My son started school last week, and I think most of my fears were visualised to some extent here, and quite potently too.

For what it's worth coming from an online stranger, I hope you and your son experienced no problems, at least not major ones. Much as the drama of a first day of term is good story material, it's no so fun to actually live through.

As for your reaction to my fic, I in all honesty had not expected that, though I at least appreciate where it comes from. My focus was mainly on different aspects of Rarity as a character, and showing her in her "first state" as a child just seemed the most fitting time in her life to draw that out i.e. when most people are in their most natural or uninhibited state. I also wanted the freedom of Rarity pre-Cutie Mark, and to capture how she'd likely respond when introduced to the world of reputation and social status as a blank slate with potential.

The school setting was the obvious choice by deduction, and then things took off from there.

Bit nervous, though. I have no idea whether to be pleased to have created such an effect, or worried over the implications of achieving it as a side effect.

Some lovely character introspection at play, which I now come to expect from your work,

In that case: For the love of Pete, don't ever read my earliest fics. :raritydespair:

For now, I fully intend to keep up the standard. This is encouraging feedback indeed! :twilightsmile:

and effective segueing with the references to the source material.

Thanks, though I will admit Rarity inspiring Applejack to visit Manehattan wasn't scheduled for the original draft. I spontaneously threw it in late as a way to better convey Sparkler's point at the end. It almost didn't feature at all.

The last scene was arresting for all the right reasons, and I liked and appreciated the realistic conclusion,

Thank you very much! I'm especially pleased that you singled this one out, as I went back-and-forth on that scene for a while.

even though I personally felt that it didn't completely sign off with the sense of closure I was hoping for.

Having reread that last scene, I think I've identified the main factor: it's the first substantial characterization of Sparkler in the fic, the first time we really get a feel for her inner world. As a side effect, it feels like something's just starting when it's really ending, which is a little awkward when she's one of the major players.

Alternatively, the ending is too obviously a setup for Rarity's actual generosity as we'd recognize it in the show. The introduction of gemstones, money-gathering (implying she'll soon be interested in moneymaking), and the concept of philanthropy feels like taking a next step when suddenly, poof! Ending.

As you can tell, I'm speculating. After rereading that part, though, I do at least get a feel for what you mean. Chalk it up to the contest's word limit?

Once again, many thanks for this wonderful comment. I'm glad you find my work so rewarding. :pinkiesmile:

Oh, this was lovely. Wee Rarity's an excellent viewpoint character, and her efforts to assert her own identity are adorably precocious - as well as poignant, considering what comes of her first friendship and the path to becoming a more conscientious pony that sets her on. Good tie-ins with canon as well. Applejack's motivation for going to Manehattan and how that tied in with Rarity's own character development were very well done.

Superb work. :twilightsmile:

9028376

Meaning no disrespect, but I think I'll dispense with my apologies to you from this point on. Not because I don't regret my negligence - I do regret it - but I figure you'll get pretty bored hearing me say "sorry" over and over.

I will not stop thanking you for the comments, though. They are utter treasures. :twilightsmile: Though I like Knitting Encouragement more than I do this one, I am glad you singled out Rarity's development here. I was trying to balance both her good sides and her bad sides, and not just because that was a contest requirement; it's honestly a big part of why I like her character so much. Applejack's Manehattan backstory tied in unexpectedly well, all things considered. (I did wonder if it was a bit ropey in its current form.)

Thanks again! :scootangel:

Login or register to comment