• Published 14th Aug 2017
  • 467 Views, 4 Comments

Escaping Reality - stupidhand14



Having just finished an online game of Dungeons & Dragons, five girls gather together to play again, this time in real life. Though their real lifes get might get in the way, each is prepared to sacrifice to delve into a world of fantasy, and escape.

  • ...
 4
 467

Endings and Beginnings

Adriana lowers her arms, the small gemstone in her hand pulsating with power. Calling upon her pact master’s power and turning it against him, she falls to her knees, completely drained, as the creature she once knew as her master is forcibly sucked into the crystal. After a few seconds, the spell ends, with the once gargantuan creature stuck inside a gemstone the size of a pebble.

“I look around the battlefield.”

Adriana, you see the bodies of your allies, your friends, strewn about. Each of them has numerous wounds coating their bodies, their life blood seeping out.

“Who’s closest?”

That would be Gendat. Her once proud platemail lies shattered around her. You can see from where you are that she still struggles to breath.

“I rush over, kneeling by her.”

“D-did it work?” Gendat asked, coughing up a bit of blood. “Is he finally gone?”

“Yes!” Tears sprung into Adriana’s eyes. “Yes, we did it. Now we can get you to a cleric and---”

“You and I both know I ain’t gonna make it.” Gendat gave her a wry smile. “Don’t worry, just take my body to the cathedral. I’m sure they can revive me there.”

“What if they can’t?”

Gendat smile weakened, but somehow was more genuine. “Then it was a pleasure knowing you…” Without another word, Gendat lay still, her breathing stopping.

“I gather up everyone’s… bodies and see if any are still alive.”

You gather up everyone, but only one person is breathing by the time you find them: Gerki.

“I put them in the wagon, and head back to town.”


“And with that, Miles of Madness is over,” SightSee013 said, taking a sip of her beverage.

“Woo!” ChaosIncarnate cheered. “That was one of, if not the best, summer campaign I’ve been a part of!”

“Wasn’t this your first time playing D&D?” TalentPsion34 quipped, posting a quote in chat.
“Yeah. Doesn’t make it any less true!”

All the players could practically hear his smirk.

“So, is this it?” IntroOverate asked, silencing everyone else. “Or is someone gonna run another campaign?”

The moment of silence felt a lot longer than it had any right to be.

“Hey,” ChaosIncarnate’s voice broke the silence, “I could DM the next game, if ya’ gals want. I mean, I’m still kinda new, but I don’t exactly have school to keep me busy.”

“I’ll have to focus on my studies when school comes,” TalentPsion34 said, for once breaking in. “My computer will be running simulations basically 24/7, and I’ll be mooching off my school’s internet. I won’t be able to play for a few months.”

“Ugh. Why is high school such a load of crap?” MusicLover could be heard spinning in her chair.

“Well, you know…” SightSee013 paused, “we could always meet up, even if it’s just once a month, and play.”

A silence met everyone before objections started getting raised.

“How will that work?” MusicLover sighed. “Not all of us can drive, remember?”

“What city will we play in?” TalentPsion34 asked. “I mean, how do we even know where to meet up?”

“I’m not sure I’m fully comfortable with that…” IntroOverate murmured into her mic.

“Actually, that’s pretty simple,” ChaosIncarnate said, posting a link. As each girl clicked it, they were brought to the homepage of Canterlot, the city. “Unless I’m wrong, each of us live in this city, meaning meeting up is probably pretty easy.”

“How do you know we live in the same city?” MusicLover asked, hostility entering her voice. “C’mon man, don’t screw with us.”

“While I’d love to explain, shall we just put it to a test?” They could almost hear the smile in his voice. “If you don’t live in Canterlot, say so now.”

Skeptical silence filled the void, which soon transformed to amazement.

“Wow…” MusicLover could be heard falling back into her chair. “What are the odds of that?”

“No idea, but low,” TalentPsion34 said, though the sounds of a calculator at work were heard in the background.

“So, now that that’s settled, why don’t we meet up somewhere?” Chaos posted another link in chat, this time to a shop known as SugarCube Corner. “We can go there and talk about this face to face, maybe plan a year round game.”

“I’m up for it!” SightSee013 said. “How about we go there on Saturday, say noon?”

“Well, if you’re going, Sight, I’ll be there too. Can’t let you show me up.”

“What about you, SugarCraze?” Chaos asked. “You’ve been quiet for a while.”

“That’s because Gendat is dead,” Sugar replied. “Until he is resurrected, I am forever dead… but I’ll be there, yeah.”

One by one each girl agreed until it came to IntroOverate.

“Intro, you okay with comin’ to meet us?” Sight asked in her sweetest of voices. “We’d really like to see you there.”

“I…” IntroOverate gulped. “I’ll try and go.”

“Alright, sweet, see you all there!” MusicLover exited the voice chat and, one by one, each person left, leaving IntroOverate alone.

Starlight took off her headphones as she hit the exit button, silently saying goodbye to Adriana. Looking at the clock, she noted it was one in the morning. She had three days until Saturday.

Wheeling her chair away from her desk, she got up and stretched, feeling her legs stiffen in pain. She performed her nightly rituals, her mind planning ahead.


Starlight walked into Sugar Cube Corner five minutes early. Despite it being the end of summer, she had on a sweatshirt and pants. Looking around the room, the first thing her mind saw was the absurd amount of people up and about on a saturday morning. Nearly every table and chair was occupied.

She looked around the room, trying to find anyone that might look like ChaosIncarnate. Her eyes immediately found what she was probably looking for: a table near the back with four empty seats, and two filled ones, each of the seats having a name plate resting in front of them. She recognized her own username, IntroOverate, written on one of them.

Walking more confidently than she felt, and more awkwardly than she had wanted, Starlight moved over to the table and took her seat, before looking at who else was there.

Behind SightSee013’s nametag sat a girl with blonde hair and light grey skin. She seemed to be intently focused on her milkshake until Starlight sat down, at which point she let out a huge smile.

“Hello!” Sight stuck out her hand. “I’m SightSee013, but my real name’s Derpy Hooves!”

Starlight shook her hand. “I-it’s nice to meet you. My name is Starlight Glimmer.” Giving the other girl a smile, she turned to the boy who sat across from her.

To say he mismatched would be an understatement. ChaosIncarnate wore a golden suit blazer, but underneath seemed to be a plaid t-shirt. His hair was all over the place, in some parts being a dark grey and others being a bright blonde. The also had a smile that instantly wanted to make her smack him.

But the most striking thing about him was how young he looked. He didn’t look to be more than a year older than either of the girls at the table.

“This is Chaos,” Derpy gestured to him. “His real name’s Discord.”

“A pleasure to meet you.” Discord gave a slight bow in his chair. “Go ahead, I know you’re dying to say it.”

“S-say what?” Starlight Glimmer asked, blinking rapidly.

“How young I look, despite me claiming that I’m done with school.” Discord let out a self satisfied smile. “Believe me, I never get tired of gloating over my achievements, but I’d rather explain it once and be done with it than tell the story ten times.”

“Alright?”

The front door opened again, and each person at the table watched as a girl wearing a Crystal Prep school uniform walked in. She looked around the room before fixating upon the back table, her eyes narrowing on the nameplate that read TalentPsion34. After a moment’s hesitation she walked over and sat down.

“Hello,” Talent said, sticking out her hand. “My name is Twilight Sparkle. I’m going into Crystal Prep as a freshman this year, and have an IQ higher than 90% of the population. I’m skilled in---”

“Did you practice this introductory speech?” Discord asked, wiggling his eyebrows. “Because it sounds a touch rehearsed.”

The girl named Twilight blushed slightly, letting out a shamefaced smile. “Maybe a little?”

“Well then, keep goin’!” a voice said to Starlight’s left. She turned to find a girl with blue hair and shades sitting at the end of the table, behind the nameplate of MusicLover. “I wanna hear how this speech ends.”

“O-okay…” Twilight took a moment to gather herself, her mouth moving silently as she retraced her steps. “I’m skilled in research, computer programming, and engineering. I’ve also been given a small research stipend from Crystal Prep. It’s a pleasure meeting you.”

Discord’s clap could only be called sarcastically sincere. After a few seconds, he turned to MusicLover. “I’m curious, what took so long?”

“Bro, little tip: Don’t eat at that burrito place on H street.” She shivered. “I’m still having side effects.”

The conversation lulled into a silence as each person checked their timing devices. It had just turned noon. As if on queue, a pink haired girl walked out of the back of the store and skipped over to the table, taking her seat behind the final nameplate: SugarCraze.

“Heyo!” the girl said with a giant grin. “Names Pinkie Pie.” She turned to Discord. “How did you know where I worked, or was that just ‘coincidence’ as well?”

“It was probably coincidence, I assure you. However, now that everyone’s here, I think it’s time for us to do our introductions, or redo them in some cases.” He gave Twilight an over exaggerated wink.

Twilight ran through her introduction again, word for word. Derpy ran through hers, which was warmer, more personal, and a touch less graceful.

“Your turn,” Discord said, pointing to Music Lover.

“My name’s Vinyl Scratch,” MusicLover’s voice radiated confidence. “I’m a musician, capable of making any party pop. I’m going to CHS in the fall, so if you go there you’ll probably get to know me fast.” She lifted up her shades, revealing magenta eyes. “Now, why don’t you finally tell us about your ‘super mysterious’ past, Discord?”

“Ah, but that’s the big finale!” He let out a toothy grin. “Next, how about you, Craze?”

“Sure.” She stood up from her chair. “Like I said earlier, I’m Pinkie Pie. I work here at SugarCube Corner over the summer and on some weekends, and I’m also going to CHS next year.”

“Alright, that just leaves you.” Discord pointed at Starlight.

“O-okay…” Starlight cleared her throat, before continuing in a very quiet voice. “My name is Starlight Glimmer, I’m, uh… good at philosophy and argument, I guess? Um…” She let out a cough. “I do most of my schooling online… and don’t really attend any school…”

The awkwardness of her introduction was practically physical, before Discord broke out laughing. Everyone at the table, and some people from other tables, gave him, if not a glare, then a look of confusion.

“You’re joking, right?” he asked, regaining his breath. “You, the fearless and outspoken Warlock, are afraid to say a few words to us just ‘cause we’re in flesh and blood and not a computer? After over a hundred hours of talking, and you’re nervous?” He let out a bark of laughter. “Come on, try that again.”

Starlight glared at him harder before taking a deep breath and trying again. “My name is Starlight Glimmer. I’m a student of philosophy and debate. I don’t attend school, preferring to do my studying online and learning what I want to. Happy?”

“Yes, yes I am.” Discord’s smile never left his face. “And now it’s for the grand finale! My name is Discord, like the application, though I came first. I graduated college at a younger age than most are allowed to go into middle school with. My mind has mastered math, and I am a leading researcher in Chaos Theory.”

“Yeah, cut the crap,” Vinyl said, leaning with a hand against the table. “We all know that’s a lie. You’re about the same age as us, you really expect us to---”

“Actually,” Twilight interjected, “I’ve heard of him. I’ve even read his nationally ranked research paper.”

“Oh, do I have a fan?” Discord’s eye twinkled.

“Perhaps we should get back on topic?” Derpy asked, throwing her hand in the air. “We’re meeting to see if we are going to continue playing, and, if so, where we’ll play it at.”

“Oh, I’ve already got the latter solved.” Discord pulled out a flyer. “A new store opened up earlier this summer called ‘Mazes and Monsters’, and it lets people play games there, as long as they buy the occasional item.”

“Alright, then we just have to decide whether or not we want to play.” Derpy looked around the table. “Does everyone want to continue playing as a group, with Discord as the DM?”

There was a momentary pause, as everyone weighed the choice in their mind. All but one.

“I already agreed to this,” Discord said with a grin. “Even if I have to find a new group, I’m running a campaign.”

“As long as it ain’t on Friday Nights, I can make it.” Vinyl gave a thumbs up.

“My schedule is free, at least for now.”

“Of course I’m willing!” Pinkie all but shouted. “I may have to take a week off here or there to work, but I’m willing to work something out with Mr. and Mrs. Cake.”

“I’d like to continue playing as a group as well.” Starlight gave them a weak smile.

“Then it’s decided!” Discord pulled out his phone. “So, let’s just share contact info, and we can get a little group chat set up and discuss which days work best for everyone.

“Personally, I’d like Saturday around noon,” Vinyl said, punching numbers into his phone. “Nights I usually work, and any earlier and I’ll be dead.”

“Weekends work for me as well.”

“Same.” Starlight was too preoccupied with putting information into the phone in front of her to give a long winded answer.

“Alright, then it’s decided.” Derpy typed into her own phone, and everyone else got a message at once. “The group ‘SaturD&yD’ is officially made.”

Author's Note:

I'm curious, did anyone get all the nerdy references in this chapter? I believe the grand total was three, so if you got them all, congrats! You're as big a nerd as me.

Comments ( 4 )

Give me moar!

8366038 I also want moar! :flutterrage:

... please? :fluttercry:

-Ru

I do believe I've found a gem in the making. Now to wait and see how it grows.

8366785
Huh. I thank you for the high praise. I shall try my best to meet your expectations.

Login or register to comment