• Published 7th Aug 2017
  • 548 Views, 8 Comments

Friendship is Magic: The Movie - Dreadnought



Now a major motion picture!

  • ...
1
 8
 548

Cast

Chapter Three: Cast

Normally, Cast had a set process for selecting leading and supporting actors for a movie. Sometimes his job was easy, with sequels comprising an established ensemble or scripts written as a vehicle for a specific actor, allowing him to focus on the supporting roles. But most of the time he worked on new movies, requiring him to assemble an entire cast from scratch. First, he followed the careers of established professionals and scouted promising newcomers. His scope wasn’t limited to just Hollywood but included talent from Briddleway and the music industry as well. He also poured through stacks of résumés, searching for actors that had the right look and credentials. When he had created a list of potential actors, Cast would bring them in for auditions which would further narrow down the pool. Then there were screen tests with other prospective actors, until he produced a well-balanced ensemble with chemistry and talent.

But he didn’t have time for any of that now. Bursting forth from the producer’s trailer, Cast needed to act quickly and decisively. With filming of Chestnut’s role scheduled to begin the next day, he only had the afternoon to find an actress, go through the necessary legal hurdles, and prep them for shooting. Otherwise the whole production schedule and the film’s budget were in jeopardy, along with his reputation and future within the industry.

Standing in the street, Cast scanned the passing townsfolk and examined his options....

What about her? No, way too old. Makeup might be able to do something if we had no other choice.

A pegasus? Wrong species.

A stallion? Maybe. We’ve already rewritten two roles for males. I’ll keep him in mind as an option.

Woe! Way to ugly. I’d never work in the industry again if I hired her!

Too young. Might work in a pinch, though.

Blue? We already have a blue pony.

A unicorn? Could work. Costume department might be able to obscure the horn.

A donkey? No, absolutely not.

She might work. Yes, right age, right species, not too homely, got that country vibe.

Cast strode up to the mare, but just before he could speak, he spotted a pair of ponies, a mare and a stallion, walking into town.

Wait! Earth pony, orange, blonde mane, even sporting a cowpony hat. That’s her! She’d be perfect as a stand-in for Chestnut. I’ll cast her. And if she’s angling for a role for her husband, I could easily put him in as a background pony.

He pushed past the yellow mare he was about to cast and approached the pair. “Hello.”

“Howdy,” they greeted.

“Do you have any acting experience?” Cast asked the mare. It was a bit forward and he didn’t want to come across as desperate, but time was running out.

Pausing for a moment to think, she replied, “Well, Ah was in a play up in Canterlot a while back. And Ah did do a fashion show once for ma friend, if that counts.”

An actress and a model! How lucky can I be! Doing his best to contain his enthusiasm, Cast asked, “How would you like to be in a movie?”

“A movie?” Her eyes narrowed for a moment, before an apparent realization. “Wait. Is that what that sign outside of town is for?”

“What sign?”

Pointing back from where they had come from, she said, “We saw a sign back there that says, ‘Welcome to Ponyville.’ Is that part of the movie?”

Hmm.... Playing dumb. Doesn’t want to come across as too eager. Pretty smart of her. “Yes, it’s a prop we’re using to establish the setting.”

“Why didn’t ya just film it in Ponyville?” she asked.

What the hay does that have to do with accepting a role? “Filming on location is always more expensive. Besides, we got a nice tax credit for shooting in Appleloosa.”

“But it ain’t Ponyville,” she protested.

Having worked on a number of movies set in “Manehattan” or “Chicoltgo” that were really filmed in Vanhoover or Whinnyapolis, Cast knew that audiences never cared even if they learned the truth. “Doesn’t matter. Most ponies have never been to Ponyville, so the audience won’t know the difference.”

“Won’t know the difference!”

“Are you interested in being cast in the movie or not?” If not, I needed to run back to that yellow earth pony.

Hesitating, she said, “Ah don’t know.”

“Why not?” Cast asked.

“Ah got a lot of work back on the farm,” she continued.

Hmm.... Taking this a little far, aren’t we?

“Does it pay well?” asked the stallion.

“Yes. I could arrange a hundred bits,” said Cast.

“Ya hear that? A hundred bits. That would more than cover what you would make on the farm.”

“Ah’m still not sure,” she stammered.

Time to play the ace. “I’m sure I could find a role for your husband too.”

“Husband!” the two replied in unison.

“I’m sorry, you’re coltfriend.”

“She’s ma cuzin,” said the stallion.

“Really?” It’d be a damn shame if she didn’t have a special somepony. “My apologies.”

“How long will it take?” the mare asked.

“A week or two.”

The stallion spoke up, “C’mon cuz. Sounds like fun. Celestia knows ya ain’t had any since ya got here.”

Conflicted, she said, “Well, Ah suppose Ah could do it.”

Finally! “Excellent, we’ll have to get you set up right away.”

“Ma name is Braeburn,” said the stallion, extending a hoof.

“Cast,” he replied, shaking the stallion’s hoof.

“And Ah’m Applejack,” said the mare, extending her hoof.

“Wow, word travels fast,” muttered Cast.

“Beg yer pardon?” she said.

“Nevermind.” So, she did know about Chestnut dropping out. Cast reached forward and received a vigorous hoofshake.

“Braeburn?”

“Yes?”

“Could ya get a letter sent off ta Big Mac letting him know Ah’ll be staying here a little bit longer?”

“Sure thin’ cuz,” he replied. “It was nice meetin’ ya Cast,” he said before heading off towards the town post office.

“So now what?” asked the mare who insisted on calling herself “Applejack.”

“Well, first we need to get you under contract,” Cast replied.

Author's Note:

I hoped to get this out earlier. But I had significantly less time the last couple of weeks, especially with BronyCon. I did have this finished last weekend, but spent the past week polishing it before I published it. I hope it was worth the wait.

I'm pushing ahead with Chapters 4, 5 & 6, which all link together. I'm aiming to have them complete in the next week or two, but one never knows with real life. In the meantime, be sure to peruse my latest stories, The Disney Princesses Meet Princess Twilight Sparkle and The Secret Life of... Discord. I'm also rewriting The Secret Life of... Scootaloo, which I also hope to publish next week.

Dreadnought

Comments ( 4 )

8387541
I hope that the new chapter lived up to your expectations.

Dreadnought

I'm looking forward to more of this story.

Interesting story. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Oh. Oh, Darling. Cast, you are going to find yourself in a nick of trouble very, very soon.:facehoof::fluttershyouch:

Login or register to comment