• Published 19th Aug 2017
  • 516 Views, 3 Comments

The Everfree Files - kaminakat



Moondancer became an EBI agent to solve crimes. Unfortunatley, her new job is more akin to chasing ghosts. Or so she thinks. With an old friend by her side Dancer sets off to solve the unsolvable, and maybe even learn a thing or two about friendship.

  • ...
1
 3
 516

Sugarcube Corner, 7:14 am

Moondancer’s eyes drew open. A beam of sunlight was shining onto her face. She sat up and rubbed her eyes.

She was tucked into a bed in a guest room in the upstairs of Sugarcube corner. It was a cute little room, lots of pinks and frills. The window curtains had been pulled open, and sunlight was pouring over the bed. Moondancer looked over and saw that the door was cracked as well.

That Pinkie, if she hadn’t have been a baker she could have made it as a ninja. She pictured Pinkie with a throwing star for a cutie mark as she climbed out of bed. The floor creaked as she stood up.

Her horn glowed faintly as she magically grabbed her glasses off of a nightstand and placed them neatly on her face. The soft, bloomy pillars of sunlight sharpened up and she could see dust particles floating around in them.

She stretched her hooves and yawned, then headed downstairs.

“Gooooooood morningggggggg!” bellowed a happy sounding Pinkie Pie as Moondancer descended the stairs to the bakery.

Moondancer smiled groggily at the pink pony.

Pinkie walked around from behind the counter with a plastic travel mug in her hoof.

“Sorry to wake you so early, but Lyra told me to get you up around now and send you to go meet her.” She handed the mug to Moondancer with a smile. “I got you some coffee! Lyra is at the outdoor restaurant across the street, so just head over there when you’re ready. You can keep that coffee mug!”

Moondancer nodded, grabbing the mug and taking a big sip. It was dark, no sugar or cream. Just how she liked it. Oh sweet Celestia bless this pink pony.

“Okay, can I give you some bits to cover last night?”

“Nope!” Pinkie bounced in place to punctuate her reply.

“Can I at least pay you for the coffee?” Moondancer laughed to herself.

“Neeeeeeeeyope!” Pinkie started laughing as well.

Moondancer couldn’t help but crack a big smile.

“Pinkie, you are sweet as sugar, you know that?”

“Only the sweetest ponies bake the sweetest treats!” Pinkie popped a cupcake into her mouth and smiled.

Moondancer laughed, then levitated her coffee into the air and pulled Pinkie into a hug.

“Aww, you’re huggy today! That’s good!!” said Pinkie as she gave her friend a squeeze.

“It sure is,” replied Moondancer, pulling out of the hug and grabbing her coffee out of the air. “Hey, next time I’m in town, would you like to get together or something? I figure I’m probably going to be around here more often for work, and you seem like you know the place like the back of your hoof.”

Pinkie gasped loudly.

“Of course! There’s tons of fun stuff to do all around Ponyville, just let me know when you’re in town!”

Moondancer nodded happily. Not only would she be able to get a better lay of the land, but it would be nice to spend time with Pinkie in order to thank her. I feel like I’m gonna have to fight her to let me pay for anything though, sheesh.

She exited Sugarcube corner with a big grin on her face.

It was a bustling morning in town, lots of ponies out and about. Carts of produce were pulled by workhorses, students trotted along in groups, and pegasi moved some clouds around in the sky. Moondancer glanced over and spotted Lyra sitting across the street at the restaurant, just as Pinkie had said. Moondancer crossed the road and trotted over to her partner.

Lyra was sitting at a table at the edge of a small dining area, lounging back in her chair. She had a pair of sunglasses covering her eyes and was sipping a cup of coffee. As Moondancer approached, Lyra set her coffee down on a small dish on the table and waved her partner over.

“Mornin’ sleepyhead,” said Lyra as Moondancer took a seat next to her.

“Good morning to you too,” replied Moondancer, sipping her own coffee telepathically.

Lyra reached down into her bag which was leaning against the legs of her chair. She pulled out another pair of sunglasses and handed them to Moondancer, who took them and placed them over her regular glasses.

Moondancer did her best to lean back like her partner.

“So, how did it go last night?”

“See for yourself.” Lyra pointed across the street with her hoof.

Moondancer followed Lyra’s hoof and saw Fluttershy and Atrax walking together down the street. Atrax was carrying a large burlap sack on his back, while the small bunny from the previous day was sitting atop Fluttershy’s back. They were chatting up a storm, and both looked happy.

A large grin grew across Moondancer’s face. She felt a warmth inside her chest. It felt like the warmth on her coat as she would lay under a sunlit window as a foal. She let out a deep breath as she looked out over the busy streets. She felt fulfilled.

“Feels good, doesn’t it?” said Lyra, nudging her partner.

“It…really does.”

Moondancer looked up at the pegasi moving about in the sky.

“Honestly, I wasn’t too sure about this whole thing yesterday. I didn’t know if I really could take it seriously. But now? Yea. I think this job is for me. This feels…this feels right.”

She looked over to Lyra, who nodded and smiled.

“Hey, glad to hear it.”

She pulled her sunglasses down so her partner could see her eyes.

“You did pretty well. You know, for a rookie.”

Moondancer stuck out her tongue in response. This caused Lyra to burst into hysterics, which in turn caused Moondancer to join in.

“Well, I’m sure you’re probably itching to hop the first train back to Canterlot,” said Lyra, wiping her eyes as she got a grip on her laughter. “We can head out as soon as you’re ready.”

Moondancer smiled and shook her head.

“I’m fine right here for now, as long as you are.”

Lyra leaned back and sighed contently.

“NOW you’re gettin’ it, Dancer.”

“Now you’re gettin’ it.”

Comments ( 1 )

Good solution to the mystery and nice resolution between Lyra and Moondancer! :raritywink:

Login or register to comment