• Published 13th Jan 2017
  • 1,432 Views, 46 Comments

Her Mistake, His Resolve - Sacred Blade



A mistake in a spell's equation sent Twilight to an alternate reality. One where magic does not exist. Unfortunately, her arrival is met with a bite..

  • ...
10
 46
 1,432

A New Day, A New Life

Hours. Many hours passed as Twilight regaled him her time in Equestria. The first thing that stuck out in Jacob’s mind was the name of her hometown. “Ponyville” sounded so ironic to him, but that’s where she claimed to have taken up residence. From what she had explained thus far, that fact certainly wasn’t missed.

Jacob received a massive other-worldly info dump, from the recounting of the celestial sisters, Starswirl the Bearded, her foalhood deeds (and misdeeds) all the way through her rise to alicornhood, and beyond. He interrupted her only a handful of times as she mentioned similarities to his world. Names of cities, famous musicians, and even common household items and tools.

It’s so strangely parallel in some ways it’s almost frightening! Did either of our worlds influence one another or was all of this mere happenstance the human, he thought. Don’t even get me started on magic. I can barely wrap my head around the concept of it being real.

Jacob also took this opportunity to study the mare’s features that he can familiarize with while Twilight was distracted with her theories of Pinkie Pie’s Pinkie Sense. Why this topic particularly irked the mare was beyond his understanding. He observed everything from her large, expressive eyes to the way her jaw, lips, and tongue were used as they aided in the formation of words.

He often imagined what it would look like for an animal to speak, only for a fine example to have appeared before him. Beyond this, her use of a front leg and hoof as a human would an arm and hand to express herself was uncanny. Body shape aside, she was as much human as he was. Innocent and naive in the ways of the world. His world. While he does not verbalize it, he cannot help but find her world to be a little too good to be true.

Part of him still could not believe what was in front of him despite it all. As if his mind refused to accept it as reality. He had a literal alien in his house. An intra-dimensional alien? How awesome is this!? Jacob seriously could not help but be a little giddy on the inside.

As his focus returned to the one-sided conversation the mare was having, he glanced at the digital clock upon the bedside table, revealing an early 1:33 AM. Damn, this mare can gab! Jacob cleared his throat before he finally interrupted Twilight, his tone apologetic. “Twilight? I hate to cut this short but it’s getting a bit late,” he explained, using a hand to gesture towards the clock.

Twilight blinked rapidly a few times as her words trailed off at the interruption. The mare pressed her ears forward before she followed his gesture toward the clock. Under normal circumstances, she would be elated at the display of time in a non-analog format, but she had to agree with the man. It was late, and all this talking had drawn out her fatigue. “You’re right. Sorry about that. I can sort of get carried away at times.”

No kidding! “Don’t worry about it,” Jacob reassured her with a smile, “We can pick it up again tomorrow. Besides, I did promise to answer your questions, right?” To which the mare eagerly nodded. It may not look like it through her tired expression but she could not wait for tomorrow and put this entire day behind her.

But how will I take notes!? Came the mare’s lamented thoughts.

Jacob rose from his chair, folded it, and set it aside against the wall before he approached the bed. He grabbed the ends of the comforter and draped it over the mare and up to her withers. “Get some sleep. We’ll figure things out more tomorrow. I’ll leave the door cracked so if you need something just give a shout.”

The mare had forgotten she was on his bed. To which, she began to open her muzzle to protest her use of it, but as expected, Jacob waived her objection. “I’ll be fine on the couch for the night. You just focus on getting some rest.”

Twilight deflated and nodded her head. She didn’t exactly feel like a guest anymore, but a burden to herself and Jacob since she was without her magic. Any magic.

Offering a thankful smile, the mare conceded, “Goodnight Jacob. Again, thank you for everything. Oh! Will I ever see Edgar again?”

“You will. He wants me to bring you to his clinic after hours at the end of the week,” Jacob offered with a grin. Part of him wanted to give the mare a reassuring pat on the head, maybe even a scratch behind the ear, but he had to quickly berate himself. This was no animal that needed pets. “And you’re welcome.”

Once goodnights were exchanged, the man turned off the light with a flick of the switch near the door. He then left the door with a sizable crack. Twilight sighed of belated frustration, what a day it had been for her and she was glad that it was finally over. She was alive, and mighty thankful for that. Thankful for the man to be where he was when she needed somepony. Twilight finally laid her head back down on the pillow, which housed the scent of her savior. This was something she had not taken note of before. She wrinkled her nose.

He could make due with doing laundry more often, she mused as her eyes closed, falling prey to her dreams.

***

Responding with a grunt, light had pierced Twilight’s eyelids as consciousness came to her. A tired, protesting moan followed as she instinctively stretched out all four of her limbs. She suddenly jerked her injured leg. Moving it was a mistake, but at least the pain was dull enough for her not to cry out loud. Her eyes snapped open while her wings extended, aiding in removing the comforter from her back to where it simply rested upon her flank. She turned to inspect the outstretched appendages, muzzle scrunching in realization that they needed preened. Something she can at least do without magic.

Jacob entered the room shortly thereafter, clad in an undershirt and boxers. “Ah, so you are up!”

Twilight was in the middle of smoothing a feather down when her cheeks somehow found a shade of pink amidst her lavender cheeks. She promptly released both her feather and wing. Preening was often seen as a private affair, and the mare was already self-conscious about her situation in the first place. So to have somepony or someone walk in on the act was a little embarrassing, to say the least. Tucking both wings tightly against her, she answered, “Just woke up actually.”

“Good. What do you want for breakfast? Actually, what can you eat for breakfast?” Jacob asked curiously. They might have gone over this last night, but he couldn’t quite remember it all. He knew well they have a penchant for sugary treats.

“Mm? I like scrambled eggs, haybacon, hash browns, pancakes, cereals, fruits, and vegetables. Oh! And coffee, which I could go for a cup of right now. You do have coffee in this world, right?” Twilight asked, hopeful.

Jacob listened attentively. Eggs I can work with. Haybacon? How does that work? Rest I can do. “Of course! While coffee isn’t my go-to drink for every morning, there are some days it is an utter requirement.”

“Tell me about it,” came an amused exhale from the mare.

“How about scrambled eggs, a pancake with maple syrup, and coffee?” Jacob asked.

Twilight bobbed her head, “Sounds great!”

Her warm smile quickly faded as an inevitable urge hit her. “Jacob,” Twilight cleared her throat as she looked away, “I need to use the little filly’s room.” As her eyes return to settle upon the human, her expression molds into one of silent hopefulness that he wouldn’t make this such a big deal.

Jacob just stared at her for a few seconds, as if her words weren’t making a lick of sense. This is what happens when one’s mind is not fully awake. Twilight rolled her eyes only to reiterate her statement more bluntly, “The restroom.”

“Oh! Why didn’t you say so?” Twilight’s narrowed gaze was lost upon him as he promptly moved beside the bed, “Well c’mon, we’ll try to take this nice and easy. I imagine you’ll feel a bit stiff and tender.” Thankfully the bed was not too high. Certainly further off the floor than Twilight’s own bed, but not to a sickening degree. She literally slid the right half of her body off the side of the bed. Jacob quickly worked a hand underneath her while the other took careful hold of her opposing side to slow her descent until all three legs were planted upon the carpet.

Jacob’s hands were kept upon the mare when he felt her body quiver as she made to stand on her own. “Think you can put some weight on your leg?”

“Let’s...find out.” Twilight was not thrilled at the prospect of eliciting pain on herself, but recovery was not a path paved with pleasantries. As she placed weight down onto her leg, she felt a jolt of pain which, thankfully, kept itself localized. It wasn’t as debilitated as she thought it might have been. Sure, it hurt like Tartarus, but Twilight could take it. Each full stride came with a wince and a grunt, something Jacob found completely normal considering what all she had been through.

“Straight ahead and to the left,” he guided, walking slowly with her until they made it into the master bathroom.

Needless to say, the whole ordeal was awkward for both parties here on out. Human toilets were not made with equines in mind, never the less an injured one. Jacob did not have to imagine how embarrassed the mare was since she was utterly flushed by the time she was situated on the pot. He was not faring much better. Were he doing this for family that’s one thing, but a complete stranger whom, by human definition, was completely naked? Jacob promptly left and gave her privacy. However, he knew a better system was needed to be developed for he doubts she would be content with doing her business outside.

***

Breakfast did not fare much better either. With the lack of magic coursing through Twilight, eating was...difficult, if she wanted to remain civilized so much so that Jacob had to offer his services before he would let her even think about forgoing utensils and going native. The mare was more than reluctant for the act that would be akin to a stallion feeding her while on a date. Jacob may not be a stallion, but was most certainly a male of his species.

“Instead of dying from wolves, I’m going to die from embarrassment,” Twilight complained, staring at the fork held in front of her by human hands.

“Don’t be such a baby, it isn’t that bad. Or is it foal? Open up,” commanded the man.

Twilight did so reluctantly, biting down and removing the forkful of syrupy pancake goodness into her muzzle. At least the food is good, I’ll give him that, she thought absently while she chewed.

Jacob found a way for her to drink her own coffee. He used an insulated coaster sleeve which the rubberized coating allowed enough grip with her hooves to let her sip her own coffee. While it was not the best of ideas, Twilight was extremely thankful for it. Drinking coffee from a straw just seemed so...wrong.

Twilight was later escorted to the couch in the living room, a crackling fire still keeping the room pleasantly warm. Her ears were curiously perked at the sound the fireplace was making. There was the sensation of air being pushed through her fur as she moved past along with a soft hum. Jacob had to explain that there was a blower that aided in moving the hot air out to spread the heat more efficiently, to which the mare answered with a single word.

“Fascinating!”

Jacob took this time to look over the bandaging, noting only a few spots where a cut must have leaked a little bit. The two that were stitched remained relatively dry. Twilight observed, but kept quiet as the human inspected her flank. Of all stallions that would be staring at and touching my flank, it would be one from another dimension, came a thought from the mare, an amused huff exhaled before she cleared her throat.

“So! Jacob. Tell me a bit about humans.” Her words came out a little forced as she suppressed the urge to bombard the man with hundreds of questions.

Surprisingly, she knew of many items and furniture about her vicinity. One she couldn’t quite place her mind on was the large black screen perched atop a table of some kind, with shelves beneath it where she could make out a few red lights of some unknown devices held within. She had no idea what the purpose for those devices was.

Jacob noted her curious gaze and simply smirked. Telling her about humans from his own mouth is probably a poor idea, especially when he can both intrigue and provide her the information she desired via other means. Leaving her side, the human picked up something flat and solid on a nearby desk. Twilight peered at him with great interest until he joined her on the couch.

Twilight’s perked herself up, wanting to get a better view of this thing in Jacob’s hand. Before he did anything with it, one hand of his moved to snatch a long, rectangular object which appeared to be housing many buttons on top of it. He pressed one and light suddenly appeared in her peripheral vision. The tv suddenly came to life and the mare grew confused. Where’s the projector?

“...what? How? What is that?” asked the mare.

“What? The TV?”

“Tee Vee?” asked the mare as she tilted her head to the side curiously.

“It’s...it’s...uh, how do I explain it. Let’s just go with that it displays moving pictures for now. Here, just watch.” Jacob does recall Twilight having spoken of projectors and movies, but not equal to the advancement humans have made.

Jacob, after a few more seconds, managed to get both the picture and sound to come from the tv. She had questions! So many questions! Her ears cutely pressed forward, swiveling on occasion as she began to take in the provided information from the video that began to educate the mare on humans. She committed the information to memory until a time she was able to jot them down on parchment.

This went on with much amusement for a couple of hours. More for the human than the mare. Twilight was beyond intrigued by the videos Jacob begun to show her about technological advances in his world. Planes, for example, was an interesting topic for her. A craft able to both fly and carry many passengers to distant destinations?

Some of the military aircraft were shown as well. While the mare slightly frowned at their potential use, she was floored by how fast they could travel. Knowing Rainbow Dash, that mare would demand to race one and would lose. More than twice the speed of sound? Not even Rainbow was ready for that kind of challenge. Not yet.

Self-propelled personal covered carriages. Cars as they were dubbed. Earth ponies and unicorns alike would enjoy those. And their trains? Is there even a maximum length on those here? How an engine could pull such a load was beyond Twilight’s reasoning at the moment.

And then there was a piece about space. Space! They can bucking travel to the moon if they so wish!?

Twilight was drawn out of her trance when the human pressed a tissue up against the corner of her muzzle, dabbing up a little drool before it had a chance to roll down. He gave her a deadpan expression once he found her attention upon him. She could practically hear his thoughts while her muzzle locked itself shut while a sheepish grin formed. He decided now would be a good time as any to pause and allow her head some breathing room.

Twilight just stared at the blank screen for a minute before she decided to speak. “Wow…” While it was not as enthusiastic as he might have thought, he could only smirk at the dumbfounded expression etched upon her features.

“Billions of humans on a single planet and your male to female ratio is practically even. Equestria has a five to one mare to stallion ratio and has not changed for hundreds of years. Not since the last war with the gryphons. Back then, mares were not allowed to hold any rank and the gryphons all but decimated what army we could muster. We won but at great cost to both sides.”

“So your society practices polygamy?” Jacob asked.

“Well…”

Author's Note:

I rewrote this twice and still wasn't happy with it but here it is anyway!

Comments ( 8 )

I don't see how this guy goes from a conversation about a war to assuming her species romances several individuals at once... That's a stretch.

7943699 It all depends on the individual. We all do not think the same. While you might hear 'war' and want to think about it and pursue that as a topic, that's your thing. If another person found the fact there were more females than males more interesting as a topic, they'll pursue that instead.

7943699
7943753 Thinking about it, war is something that we hear about on a near daily basis, so it's understandable that some people would hear the term and go "meh".

But a polygamous society with a severely skewed gender ratio? That's something most people are unfamiliar with. And while certain unknowns may fill us with fear, they can also elicit curiousity and the drive for discovery. So it's really not that far-fetched to think someone would find that fact more interesting in today's world.

Pretty good chapter! Twilight is getting her first taste of human technology is nice to see her geek out and transfix herself on it. The whole equestrian being polygamists? Meh... I grow tired hearing about this. It's used far to often and I do hope you make it out like that it may be known it's not the norm. Also talk of taking her out to see the doctor again! I am interested in seeing how this trip goes. Still no talk of her magic or how it's seemingly vanished from her being, but there's plenty of tIme for that later. Getting her well and healed up is the main focus. Hope to see another chapter soon! Always open if you ever need and creative ideas to keep this train rolling!

It's been a few weeks now since the last update, can we get a sit-rep?

It is one of those stories that deserves more attention in my opinion because I think it is very good. Really hoping here that there is more to come because it would be a real shame if it ends like this....

Will this be continued?

Hope you're doing well Sacred Blade.

Login or register to comment