• Published 30th Dec 2016
  • 788 Views, 14 Comments

Music of a different genre - Skaltrox Defiance Knight



The ponies of MLP are common to singing happy and solemn songs, but all have the same pop music genre to them. This changes when one such pony decides to up the ante with a.... different genre of music.

  • ...
1
 14
 788

Spike breaks the silence

This was it. Spike was about to step up on stage and perform the song. His entry into the contest was a basic melodic song that many ponies sang to and he enjoyed singing it, but now he was going to make a sharp turn to the dark side with this song he was going to perform right now.

Spike got up to the mic and explained his choice of song and what it was called "I have decided to perform "Break the Silence" by Killswitch engage." Spike spoke aloud. The crowd began to mutter to themselves, another one had decided to go a different route and ponies were getting slightly annoyed that things were changing.

Spike continued "My choice of song is this one because...I was inspired by Iron Heart to do things differently, I didn't want to perform songs that others were going to do either. While they may seem different to you, some of us can tell that they are pretty much the same song just with slightly different lyrics. So I decided to go a route like Iron and perform songs like his"

The judges talked between each other, the one on the far right seemed a little agitated by the choice of song but the others were against him and they soon stopped their bickering to reply to Spike "Proceed with your song Spike" the middle one said giving a scowl to the judge left of him.

Spike nodded and turned to the disc player indicating he was ready. The song began to play, much to some ponies cringing at the the music, and Spike proceeded to sing.


Break the Silence by Kill switch Engage

"As I live and breathe
I'm watching, watching the world die
We greet this with apathy no longer"

"Consumed by self
We walk through each day
With no mind to deprivation and moral decay"

"We must destroy and rebuild
We must destroy and rebuild
For the sake of all, it starts with one
With one"

:As I live and breathe
I'm watching, watching the world die
We greet this with apathy no longer"

"If we can't break the silence (how can we survive?)
Search inside yourself (and know that you're alive)
We must break the silence
Now we are alive
Silent no longer"

"Make this world, take notice
The change is in our hands
The battle has just begun
We are not defeated"

"If we can't break the silence (how can we survive?)
Search inside yourself (and know that you're alive)
We must break the silence
Now we are alive
Silent no longer"

"With all that I am
I will lift my voice
To start this revolution
It starts today
And it starts with me
Time is no longer"

"With all I am
I will lift my voice
With all I am
It starts with....MEEEEEE!"

"Break the silence [3X]"
"We are alive
Break the silence [3X]"
"We are alive"

The song finished and the crowd once more were gob smacked. It was silent for a moment before a wave of applause came out, Spike felt excited at the appreciation of him performing a song he's never performed before. Even Iron applauded Spike from the crowd. Spike bowed at the judges and the crowd and awaited the Judges decision. "That was once more a.... different song that we aren't used to, but it was performed very well and I enjoyed your enthusiasm for all the stronger lines, especially near the end with the line "It starts with me" it sounded strong all the way until you had to go to the next cleaner line. Despite Mister Kaltrot to my left not liking the performance, Miss Melodic and I both did and for that you are going to the next round" the middle judge stated.

Spike was over the moon at the response he humbly thanked the judges before running off stage jumping about with glee. "Yes, Yes, Yes I did it!" he shouted. Bouncing the whole way back to the crowd he stumbled upon the mane six and Iron.

"Good job Spike, I'm not the greatest with...darker sounding music but I could tell you enjoyed so that's all that matters" Applejack spoke up.

"Yeah Spike, it sounded pretty cool if I do say so myself" Rainbow joined in.

"Spike we are proud of you no matter what you sing and how well you sang it. Like Aj said if you enjoyed singing it than that's all that matters to us." Twilight said wrapping her hoof around the now blushing dragon as he got more praise for his song for the others.

Iron strode up and gave Spike a nudge with a hoof "You did well man, that song wasn't easy to sing for anypony, but you it pulled off amazingly and I can't be any more happy than that. So good job, I look forward on seeing your next songs" Iron stated.

"Thanks, it wouldn't of happened with out your encouragement" Spike replied grinning.

"But from now on, if you intend to sing these types of song for the rest of the contest, you should probably keep from telling me them, it makes it interesting that way. I'll tell you what you can sing though and you just pick from there." Iron stated once more.

"Ok, that's fair enough" Spike said before he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"Spike, don't you want me to congratulate you too?" Sweetie Belle said aloud to her coltfriend.

Spike in turn blushed "Well it looks like I need to go Iron, s-s-see you later" he said to Iron before running over to see Sweetie Belle.

Iron sighed "I wish I could get in on that action too" Iron said turning to Rarity as she chatted with Twilight.

Comments ( 12 )

Out of curiosity, where does the cover image come from?

7838578 Glad you asked. That is the album cover for "The world is a Thorn" by Demon hunter, one of my favourite bands and Albums by them. Look it up.

I can imagine Spike singing Death Metal now.

7838820 I can too. But Killswitch engage aren't a death metal band. They are obliviously heavy metal but the secondary one is called metalcore. Death metal is much more darker sounding, All that remains (one of the bands listed here are an example of this, well at least with the songs I will be putting on here. Speaking of which I may actually do an All that remains song in the next chapter.

7830834 Sabaton. Powerwolf. Sonata Arctica. HammerFall. All fantastic Metal bands that are less than well-known.

Personally, I really don't like Death Metal. I'm a classic metalhead (into many NWOBHM bands) with a knack for modern Power Metal.
Death Metal's growling vocals killed the genre for me. Bonus points for the fact that I plan to be a singer.
But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

7845551 The bands I listed here are hardly death metal (Trivium especially). Yes I can agree on the whole full on death metal stuff, I don't really listen to that stuff. Also all those bands you listed I all enjoy too. Sabaton and Powerwolf especially, I really enjoy Sabaton's way of making songs about events in history and Powerwolf's whole thing with supernatural beings such as werewolves and vampires. Have you heard of Blind Guardian? They are probably one of the best power metal bands around.

7845828 Tarot's a good one. One of the earlier Power bands.

One of the best (second-best for me)? MANOWAR.

7846357 Haven't really heard of them before. Sounds interestin though

Skaltrox Defiance Knight,

Is this story going to continue sometime soon? I’d really like to see what else of Demon Hunter’s you throw into this! I have all of the deluxe versions of their albums, so I am definitely interested!

Login or register to comment