• Published 30th Dec 2016
  • 788 Views, 14 Comments

Music of a different genre - Skaltrox Defiance Knight



The ponies of MLP are common to singing happy and solemn songs, but all have the same pop music genre to them. This changes when one such pony decides to up the ante with a.... different genre of music.

  • ...
1
 14
 788

The first round

Every pony was silent, not a single sound was heard...it began to scare Iron that he felt that he should run off the stage. Was what he sang that unsettling to the audience and the judges? It couldn't of been that bad, it wasn't even that dark sounding of a song, but yet here they all were staring wide eyed.

After one judge coughed awkwardly, every pony came out of their stupor and the said coughing judge spoke up. "Thank you...Iron heart...can you tell us why you chose such a...bizarre song?" he said trying to retain his professionalism.

Iron sighed before stepping up to the microphone again to speak "I...I have to be straight with you...in fact all of you" Iron gestured with a hoof to the whole audience.

"But the songs you sing all the time...not just at this contest...are really boring and all sound pretty similar, where is the variety?" Iron stated "The music I listen to is different yes...but does not mean you have to question my taste in it. I don't complain openly about what you sing...so you should either. But if you wish to deny me into the contest...then do it I won't argue with your decision." Iron finished his speech.

Everyone went silent again for a moment, but slowly, every pony started to applaud Iron and his speech. Iron felt a tad better from this turn around. The judges began to whisper to each other before coming to their decision. "We...approve of you entering the contest Iron Heart, we may see your taste in music...unique but we see your determination to be different from the other acts, for that you may continue to go on in the contest." The judge in the middle announced.

"Thank you...and I have an idea for my next song. This one will be a mix of the darker stuff and the much more pleasant too, it should enlighten you that not all that I listen to is not completely sinister." Iron replied

"We look forward to it Iron Heart" the judge replied back.

Iron heart left the stage after that, just like with Pinkie, he got all the approval from the other acts about to go on and he felt much better walking off stage then he thought.

The night continued on, some ponies got in and others didn't but it was great seeing others perform, some had never done it before and they seemed like superstars to the crowd. But eventually all the acts were finished and it was time for everything to end for the night as the first round was about to begin tomorrow at midday.

#####

The next day Iron went about practising his next song. This one was metal but its chorus was much more cleaner and softer, but that didn't make the song any less appealing to Iron. Iron was much more accustomed to singing the darker and gritty stuff so he was a little sloppy with the light chorus, nonetheless he persevered on and managed to improve the chorus bit by bit until he was satisfied with the result.

The first round was going to start in an hour, so Iron had time to kill and do whatever until it was time to go. While making a tower out of playing cards, Spike burst through Iron's door and startled the metal head pony enough to ruin his card tower. Iron emitted a low growl at Spike, to which Spike laughed nervously at, "Sorry Iron, but I just needed to tell you something?" Spike stated.

Iron sighed "OK Spike, what did you need to tell me?" Iron asked the young drake as he began to build the tower again.

Spike shuffled uncomfortably for moment, it seemed he was nervous to say it, before giving his reply "I really enjoyed your song last night Iron, in fact I kinda went ahead early this morning to practice a song like it for when it's my turn. Is that OK with you?"

Iron smiled "Sure Spike, As long as you aren't doing a song I intend to perform then its alright with me. What was it called?" Iron asked

Spike thought for a moment trying to remember it's name, until his eyes widened "Oh it was called 'Breaking the silence' by the same band as last night." Spike stated again

"Kill switch engage, Alright you can do it but remember that song isn't a walk in the park to perform. I'm glad you have practised before hoof" Iron replied.

"Thanks Iron, don't worry you are gonna love seeing me perform." Spike said as he ran out, slamming the door as he left.

Iron sighed once more, looking at the once again destroyed tower "I really need other things to do when I'm bored" he said to himself.

#####

It was time. The first round of the ponyville singing contest was about to begin, all the acts were either doing last minute practise or touching up their outfits, speaking of which, many of the outfits looked incredibly outrageous to Iron and they reminded him of what Countess Coloratura used to wear. Iron always wondered why some of these ponies bothered to wear these silly outfits.

While Iron preferred metal music, he couldn't deny that the songs that some performers did were catchy and well sung and he found himself tapping his hoof or bopping about to some of them. But finally it was time for the next set of performers to go on that included Iron.

As he got up to walk to the stage; he heard Twilight call him over, 'what did she want to talk about' Iron thought. Iron altered his direction and briskly trotted to where Twilight was seated. "What's up Twilight?" Iron asked.

Twilight paused for a moment as if she was contemplating on saying what she had to say, eventually she decided to speak up "I...I was a little confused by your song last night...but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy listening to it...so thank you for agreeing to do this Iron."

"No worries Twi, also, that's why I didn't want to perform before because I felt Ponyville wasn't ready for that type of music" Iron replied. "But that doesn't matter now, it's already begun and now I'm going to give it my all to go straight to the finals"

Twilight smiled "That's great to hear Iron, I expect to see you perform in the finals then, otherwise...." Twilight thought for a moment before making a devious grin "Otherwise if you don't, you have to listen to me explain the history of magic in Equestria, everyday for a week. Do we have a deal?" Twilight gave Iron her offer.

"What do I get in return?" Iron asked.

"I...will...act like Rarity...for a week" Twilight answered with a frown. Iron could only chuckle before agreeing to the bet. While Iron was a heavy metal headed stallion, he couldn't deny his infatuation with Rarity, Spike had already gotten over Rarity some time ago and now was dating Sweetie belle, when he found out that Iron loved Rarity, he jumped to help him try to gain her affection and that's how the two managed to become good friends. One thing he did always want to see, was one of his good friends act like the love of his life even if it was for a mere moment...but a week! Iron had to win this bet.

After a few more acts went and did their turns, Iron was up to the stage, some of the crowd was a little nervous while some were excited to see him perform. He got up to the mic and explained his song "The song I shall be performing is called "A thread of light" by Demon hunter" the judges nodded for him to proceed and Iron complied.

He nodded once again to the disc player and as the music began, Iron began to sing.

A thread of light
by Demon hunter

"These words are a weapon for the ones in pain
A fair fight for the children of a lesser name
We are the war against the sick and fatal fall of man
A hollow tip to the notion of a Godless stand
Quick to slam the gavel on a true solution
You let the fear become a stranglehold
Tear it all apart so you can render your own belief
You never listened to what you were told"

"Condemned
You built a wall, disbelief is all you left us
Reaction
Without a thought, your resolve is to reject us"

[Chorus:]
"You found your darkness stands on a thread of pinhole light
And all you wanted was perfection
You found your darkness stands on a thread of pinhole light
So all you are is contradiction"

"You buried the chance in a self-righteous glance
So your sons and your daughters were safe
But your imperfect path is a heart made of glass
And the world is a charming grenade"

"Condemned
You built a wall, disbelief is all you left us
Reaction
Without a thought, your resolve is to reject us"

"[Chorus]"

#####

As the song finished and Iron took a bow, the crowd was much more welcoming this time and Iron couldn't feel any better about that outcome. The judges all talked between each other before the middle one spoke up. "We found this song very intriguing, you lived up to your promise of a mixed song that included both darker lyrics and lighter ones, the crowd seems to agree and for that you are through to the next round Iron Heart."

Iron beamed at the words "Thank you, thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it." he replied before waving a few times and made his way back stage. As he walked by the next performers he saw Spike among them looking very nervous.

"Hey man, you OK?" Iron asked the drake.

Spike in return replied "Just...nervous...I haven't done such a song in front of others, you haven't even heard it, I feel like its going to be terrible"

Iron hugged Spike briefly "Don't worry, if you enjoyed practising that song, then who cares what others think of it. You just have fun singing it" Iron stated.

"Thanks Iron, heh what would I do without you watching my back" Spike replied.

"Hmm do you want me to show you the list?" Iron asked with a sneaky grin

"Ha ha very funny man" Spike returned with a shake of his head.

Iron laughed "Ignore that Spike just go for it"

"Right, well two more acts before me, I'll see you later Iron" Spike said as he went back concentrating.

"Yeah you too Spike" Iron replied back as he went back to the audience and wait for Spike to perform.

"This was going to be interesting" Iron thought aloud.