• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 1,960 Views, 11 Comments

Learning How To Date - Fircoal



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash finally confess that they love each other. Only one problem: Neither of them have any idea how to do this dating thing.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,960

Second Times A Charm

Rainbow Dash inched her way over to the door to Fluttershy's humble abode. The words of Rarity were sharply on her mind. She wanted to make Fluttershy happy and share something special with her but she wasn't sure how to do it. Rarity said to be sappy and romantic but Rainbow Dash didn't know how to be either of those things. She had never tried to and she wasn't sure how she was going to be able to try to. How would she even start?

She felt bad to go to Fluttershy's empty hoofed and empty ideaed. Still she wanted to see the mare that she cared for so much. So she inched over to the door of Fluttershy's cottage. She peered over one of the windows to see a dark room. Only two candles were perched inside giving Rainbow Dash a very limited view. There seemed to be some movement inside. The lack of a strong light source made it so that Rainbow Dash couldn't make Fluttershy out. Solemnly she went over to the door and knocked on it lightly with her hoof.

There was no answer. Maybe she had knocked on it too lightly? Rainbow Dash put her hoof up to the door and barreled it into the door. She could hear hurried shuffling from the inside. The door swung open and there was Fluttershy standing with an apron on. "Oh, sorry about that. I was getting everything ready," Fluttershy noted.

Rainbow Dash’s vision glazed at the apron that Fluttershy was wearing. It wasn't anything special. Actually it was just a plain white apron with a pink heart in the center. Still it was enough to make Rainbow’s nose bleed. Her mouth opened agape. "Getting everything ready?" she asked. She started to stammer and her tail curled itself around her leg. Had she forgotten something? It hadn’t been a week and she had already forgotten something important. She hoped it wasn't anything too major that she forgot about. She couldn't even remember anything like that though.

Fluttershy nodded. She grabbed Rainbow with her hooves and pushed her towards her body. The rainbow haired mare responded with a big blush on her face. "Do you remember when you said I needed to be more assertive?" she asked.

Rainbow froze in her hooves. "That was a long time ago!" She shouted. "Don't bring up things I said that far back! It's cheating!"

Fluttershy shook her head. "Rainbow, I'm not mad."

"Oh cool!" Rainbow responded. Her shoulders eased. "But why are you bringing it up?"

Fluttershy smiled and looked at Rainbow Dash. She gazed at her sleek cerulean body. She eyed her rainbow mane and sniffed in the smell of the active pony’s musk. She wrapped her hooves around her back and felt the softness of Rainbow's fur. She leaned in to her and placed her head by Rainbow's. Rainbow blushed and stared back at her lover. Then in a quick motion Fluttershy lowered her head to Rainbow's and placed her lips on Rainbow's. She kissed her with all her might. Rainbow sunk into the careful kiss of Fluttershy. Her lips met the other Pegasus's. She returned the kiss with her own lips.

Fluttershy finally broke away. She looked back at Rainbow Dash. She grabbed a strand of her hair and twirled it around her hoof. "It's because I love you Dashie," she said. "And it's clear neither of us know what we're doing."

"Yeah so?" Rainbow Dash. She kept her eyes peering away.

"So if I have to be the one who get us started than I will." She leaned back into Rainbow and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Her tail wrapped around Rainbow Dash’s body.

Rainbow’s hooves relaxed into Fluttershy. Her eyes closed and she rested there for a couple seconds before she forced herself out of Fluttershy's arms. She flipped herself onto the ground. She stood there and eyed Fluttershy. "Now wait a minute!" she said. "I can initiate stuff too!"

Fluttershy smiled. "I look forward to it," she said as she leaned down and nuzzled Rainbow's cheek.

Rainbow Dash huffed and curled into her partner. She twitched one of her back hooves against the ground and looked up at Fluttershy. "What if I show you now?" she asked.

Fluttershy pet her hoof through Rainbow Dash's mane. "Sure,” she said. “I just have to be careful about the soup, it’s still shimmering in the kitchen. What do you have in mind?”

Rainbow Dash blinked and kicked at the ground idly. “Well I uh... I didn’t think of that part yet,” she admitted.

Fluttershy grabbed Rainbow tightly. “You don’t need to push yourself you know.”

Rainbow huffed. “Yeah I know.” she replied as she slumped in her place.

Fluttershy tilted her head. She flew Rainbow over to the couch and laid her down on it. She patted Rainbow Dash’s head with her hoof and snuggled her muzzle into Rainbow’s cheek. “Relax while I get everything ready.” Fluttershy cooed.

Rainbow lifted her head up and stared over into the kitchen. “I could help if you want me to.”

“Everything is almost ready but sure if you’d like to.” She looked away and pawed her front hoof at the ground as she talked.

“Why wouldn’t I want to help?” Rainbow said. She jumped off the couch, her eyes scanned the room. “What do you want me to do?”

Fluttershy craned her head to look towards her dining room. “Well I wasn’t able to set up the table yet. Do you think you can set it up for me?”

“Sure.” She then darted her head around. “How do I set it up though?”

“There’s a tablecloth I borrowed from Rarity that’s sitting on it. I also have some silverware in the counter. That should be all I think.”

“Got it!” Rainbow dashed over to the dining room. It was a pretty small room caked with dust on some of the built in cabinets. There were a couple of candles surrounding the room adding dim light. She scurried to find the floral tablecloth folded neatly on the table. She grabbed it and dragged it across the table. The cloth dropped askew. She smoothed it out a couple times with her hoof before she flied back into the kitchen.

In the kitchen Fluttershy churned the pot with a large wooden spoon. The tomato basil soup swirled against it. Her head was looking down straight into the pot as she stirred. Rainbow could smell the sweet aroma of tomato. She flew over to the pot and lifted her head up above it, browsing down into it.

“Does it smell good?” Fluttershy asked.

“It smells awesome!” Rainbow remarked. “I can’t wait!” Rainbow then grabbed the silverware out from the cabinet and darted over to the table. Fluttershy smiled and went back to her cooking.

She waited a minute before determining the soup done. Fluttershy turned the burner off and poured the soup into two bowls that she laid out on the counter. She took the two bowls into her hooves and flew over to the dinner table. The tablecloth was disheveled across the table. The silverware placed by the two chairs were in completely different orders. Rainbow was sitting in one of the chairs. She leaned back and caused the front legs of the chair to lift up into the air. The back of the chair went up against the wall. Fluttershy grinned and placed one of the bowls down in front of Rainbow Dash. She put the other in front of herself before sitting down in her own chair. “I hope you enjoy it.”

Rainbow Dash smiled and snapped her chair back. “Well you cooked it so of course I’ll enjoy it.” Fluttershy blushed from the comment. Her eyes fixated on the rainbow pony and her bowl. Rainbow put her lips to the bowl and tasted the soup that she had hoof crafted. Fluttershy eagerly waited to see Rainbow's reaction.

Rainbow tipped the bowl down towards her mouth and sipped at the sweet taste of the tomato basil soup. The hot liquid poured into her mouth and filled it with its sweet elixir. It funneled down her throat and into her belly filling her up with warmth. She slammed the bowl down onto the table with a long bang. “It’s really good Fluttershy!”

Fluttershy’s shoulders and body eased back into the chair. Her smile returned. “I’m glad you liked it.” She then took the soup and put it up to her own lips. She sipped the scolding hot liquid. It poured into her mouth and burnt her tongue. She squeaked and jumped up in the air. “Hot!” she cried out. She slammed the bowl down and tried to air out her tongue by flailing her hooves in front of her mouth. She panted with her tongue out.

Rainbow started laughing at that and flew up next to her. She put her wing around Fluttershy's body and grinned. “Come on Shy it’s not that hot.”

Fluttershy huffed and crossed her hooves. Her lips pouted out of her mouth. “It seemed pretty hot to me.”

“Maybe that's because you’re hot,” Rainbow answered.

“What do you mean?” Fluttershy asked before blushing bright red. “Rainbow Dash!” she stammered. She buried her head into Rainbow’s chest, who then rubbed it gently with her wing.

“What? It’s true!” Rainbow replied.

Fluttershy dug deeper into Rainbow’s fur. “That was a cheap shot.”

“Don’t be so grumpy,” Rainbow replied. She pet her head. “You know that line was as awesome as you are!”

“Stop it!” Fluttershy whined. Her face turned a bright red, as if that was possible. She sniffled and nuzzled her head deep into Rainbow’s chest. She gripped her tightly and embraced her.

“Fine,” Rainbow pouted. She grabbed Fluttershy in her arms and gently placed her down onto the ground. She held her tight with her wings. Meanwhile she took her bowl of soup and drank more of it.

Fluttershy watched Rainbow as she swayed in rhythm with Dash’s munching. Her tail swished behind her. She shuffled back and forth in Rainbow’s arms. “Are you sure the soup isn’t too hot for you?” she asked.

“Of course not!” Rainbow replied. “It’s fine. Have some yourself.” She lowered the soup bowl down to Fluttershy’s head. Fluttershy sniffed at the bowl of tomato soup. The aroma was still a wonderfully crafted sweet tomato smell. Hesitantly she leaned into the bowl and stuck her tongue out towards the broth. She licked it at a couple of times. Tiny bits of tomato broth reached across her taste buds. She felt the heat from the soup still course through her tongue and her body. She recoiled back from it and panted out onto Rainbow’s hoof.

“Sorry. It’s still too hot for me.”

Rainbow Dash cocked her head to the side. “Didn’t you try it out when you were cooking it?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “I forgot to,” she said. “I was too busy with you coming over earlier that I forgot that I needed to try it out. And when you were here I was too focused on…” she paused and stared down at Rainbow’s legs. “Well thinking about you... I probably over cooked it because of that. I’m sorry.”

Rainbow Dash pulled Fluttershy close to her. “Don’t worry about it,” she said. “It’s delicious!” She grabbed the bowl and scarfed it down her mouth.

Some of the tomato soup dripped from the bowl. It tumbled down the edge and landed on Fluttershy’s head below it. Fluttershy whimpered and lifted up her hooves to block the liquid from pouring onto her head. She leaned back into Rainbow. “Uh Rainbow...”

Rainbow blinked and held the bowl up. She stopped her drinking. “Yeah what is it?” she asked.

“You’re spilling the soup onto me.”

“Oh!” Rainbow said. She grabbed the bowl and placed it back on the table. Then her eyes glazed over the table. She scanned for napkins, and realized there were none there. “I’ll get you something!” Rainbow said as she dashed out of the room. Fluttershy leaned forward against the table, using that to support herself now that Rainbow left.

Rainbow Dash soon came in with a bunch of napkins. She quickly patted the napkins on her head and on the tips of her hooves. Once done she threw the napkin aside. “Is that better?” she asked.

Fluttershy smiled. “Yes thank you.” She looked over at the chair she used to be sitting in. She inched over towards it but before she could get there Rainbow cruised over to Fluttershy’s chair. She pulled it out and lifted it over to Fluttershy and snuck it back under her. “There you go,” she said.

Fluttershy leaned back into the chair and eyed Rainbow Dash. She nuzzled Dash’s side. “Thanks Dashie.”

“Don’t mention it!” Rainbow nudged Fluttershy’s soup to her with her wing. Rainbow picked her own soup up and flew back to her chair. She sipped down on the soup and looked over at Fluttershy. Fluttershy traced her hoof around the rim of the bowl. Rainbow leaned in and watched her. She sipped and sipped until the soup was all gone. “Are you going to drink it?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes I am... I’m just waiting for it to cool down.”

“Alright then.” She slipped back into her chair. She leaned back into the chair and pushed it back into the air.

Fluttershy smiled as she watched Rainbow do that. “Wow. Even with this romantic atmosphere, you’re still messing around,” she commented.

Rainbow's eyes grew like a deer’s in highlights. She rammed her chair forward. Her belly pressed against the table and squeaked out in pain. She winced and leaned over the table. “Is that bad?”

Fluttershy chuckled and shook her head. “Not at all. I find it funny,” She flew towards Rainbow. She leaned over into Rainbow Dash. “Honestly it’s kind of cute.”

“It is?” Rainbow squeaked.

“Yeah… it is,” Fluttershy said. She nuzzled into Rainbow's shoulder. “You’re always cute. And awesome.”

Rainbow smirked. She pushed herself off the table and sit straight in her chair. Her head lifted itself high. “Well I like to hear that!”

Fluttershy curled into Rainbow. “Do you think we could go into my bedroom?”

Rainbow squealed and turned redder than red paint. Her hooves fidgeted and her legs kicked around. “You want to do it?” she squeaked out loudly. Her eyes darted away and shivered.

Fluttershy started laughing. She patted Rainbow’s head while shaking her head. “No Rainbow. I just want to cuddle.”

“Oh,” Rainbow said. She relaxed back into the chair and her hooves stopped fidgeting. “Oh ok. I guess that’s better.”

Fluttershy winked to her. “Besides we can do it when you’re ready.”

“But I am ready!” Rainbow spat out.

Fluttershy pet her head. “Oh Rainbow. Next time,” she kissed Rainbow on her cheek and grabbed her in her hooves. “Come.”

Rainbow nodded and flew behind Fluttershy. Fluttershy flew up the stairs and made her way over to her room. When she got there she placed Rainbow down onto the bed. Rainbow kicked at the blankets and lifted them up. Fluttershy peered into the opening. She floated into the blankets and rested her head onto Rainbow’s chest.

Rainbow noticed Fluttershy reached into her. Red was now the color of their faces. She took a pillow and put it under her head. She then used her hooves to push Fluttershy back into her. She let her lay down on her body. There was no space between them and there was no difference between the two of them. They could feel the warmth cross their bodies and flow into each other. This warmth warmed their hearts. Fluttershy’s tail wrapped around Rainbow’s legs. She pushed her closer.

Fluttershy wrapped her arms around Rainbow as well. They shared their embrace with each other. There they rested peacefully, not moving an inch. Rainbow held Fluttershy tightly towards her and nuzzled her head up against Fluttershy’s. Fluttershy responded by nuzzling her back. The two of them ogled at each other and wore the biggest grins. The room was peaceful and quiet. They didn’t say a word but continued to embrace each other.

“You know,” Rainbow said. “I was sorta nervous about this whole thing.”

Fluttershy nuzzled deep into Rainbow’s side. “Yeah... me too.”

“But this is nice.”

“Really nice.”

“Can we continue doing this?”

“Sure, Rainbow. We can do whatever we want.”

And that night they slept better than they ever had before. They slept filled with love.

Author's Note:

Wow! That was tough to write. x3 I haven't written many romance stories so it was certainly a new experience for me. I hope it came out good and that you all enjoyed it. I look forward to reading comments from all of you all. Thanks for reading! :3

-Fir

Comments ( 10 )

7617405 Thanks! :3 I'm glad you like it.~

Pls make something about the applejack x rarity and pinkie pie x twilight

7622447 Sadly I don't know if I can. IT's for a contest and supposed to be submitted/uneditted. I'm not sure if I can add in an edit now. o.o

7624904 could you possibly make a new fanfic where the telling friends chapter is mostly the same but with a different veiw, but change the other chapters? that would be interesting!

And Spike x Starlight, presumably? :moustache:

Overall, I was a little disappointed by this story. I very much liked the idea, and each of the scenes was nice in its way, but it feels like something important is missing. Possibly several somethings.

Chapter one: a very good start. Simple, cute, and in character.

Chapter two: nice idea, but I feel like the timing is off. It jumped very quickly from point to point, driven by Pinkie, which made Pinkie feel wrong. She's supposed to be boisterous and wacky, but here she's just ADHD and out of touch with the rest of the room. You could have taken a bit more time to paint the scene and establish all the characters and their moods, then had more interaction between Pinkie and the other girls as she drags them into the games, to make her a part of the conversation.

Chapter three: a nice scene in itself. I think it's a mistake to touch on sex so quickly, but that's not what's wrong here. This is the starting point for the story, the "before" picture, and it's right in the middle of the story.

Chapter four: Fluttershy's conversation with Rarity was nice, but Dash's was lacking. This might have worked better if Dash had turned to somepony else for help instead? Also the "for a friend" thing's really played out.

Chapter five: this is supposed to be the conclusion of the change, the "after" picture, but not much has changed, and what has changed doesn't quite feel right. Assertive Fluttershy is too easy. Tomcoltish Rainbow (dripping soup) is fun, but that sort of frustrating detail belongs in an intermediate stage, not in the final scene.

So in summary, I think there needs to be a lot more character development going on between chapters 3 and 5. They need to each get advice, try things, fail badly, go away and think and soul search and learn, then eventually they get it right. A minimum of three dates.

I appreciate it was written for a deadline (I barely got my own story finished in time), so you may have had to accept what you could.

7671320 Thank you for the constructive criticism. Sadly a lot of the story was forced by time constraints. I never got to feeling the story like I had wanted to and at some point, I had to write what ideas I had. So I do agree that it would have made more sense to be dragged out and have more content in there but with time being a premium I was short handed in that. Hopefully, the next story I make will have a path of character development in it. That said most of my stories tend to be either quite a bit shorter than this or longer.

I hear you. My own story could have done with a little more time to clean it up and look hard at each scene. At the same time, left alone with it I'd never have gotten the useful feedback I've had from the judges, and without that perspective I may never have learned the things I can feed into future work.

In fact, I think all the stories in this contest showed signs of being at least a little rushed. The good ones and the bad.

I reviewed this story as part of Read It Now Reviews #96.

My review can be found here.

This was really cute and funny! I love how adorably clueless they both are x3 also how Pinkie got them to reveal the relationship, I could totally see her doing that. Despite Flutterdash not being a ship I read often I really enjoy your take on these two and their relationship, so great job! :yay:

Login or register to comment