• Published 28th Jul 2016
  • 2,142 Views, 15 Comments

Just to get the comic books - Sunrise Shine



Sunset bets with Rainbow Dash on what comic series is better and ends up going through the portal. Celestia is too tired to understand what's going on.

  • ...
1
 15
 2,142

Celestia is not surprised

Sunset's muzzle hit the stone/crystal/whatever it's made of floor as she fell head-first through the mirror. No matter how many times she travelled between dimensions it never got better. If anything, it felt worse every single time. She shook herself like a dog to get rid of the impression Pinkie Pie's calling after her. The portal with all its swirling colors and shape changing must have been getting to her head.
She cautiously rose to all four hooves, before remembering that walking on four limbs didn't need as much adjusting as walking on two, due to it's obviously better stability. The now unicorn looked around curiously. The room she found herself in was round and made enirely of what looked like crystals in many weirdly-matched colors, unreasonably sparkly and ridiculously decorated.

“Wow, Twilight. Overdoing it a little, aren't you?” she muttered to herself.

Apart from the magical mirror built into a complicated machinery and one set of doors, there was nothig significant in there.
Sunset walked over to the door and attempted to open it, but it was closed. A simple opening spell didn't work either. Upon further examination the orange mare found out the entrance was sealed with so much advanced alicorn magic it was almost impossible to break through.

'Not sure if I should be disapointed I can't exit or proud that this time she actually closed the door' Sunset thought sarcastically, remembering the tale of how one Starlight Glimmer broke into the castle because Twilight went to Canterlot without closing the door.

But jokes aside, the closed way out remained a problem.

Sunset took a while to concider her options. There weren't many.
The most reasonable would be to go back and wait this few days or weeks until Twilight came back, but she couldn't do it- she wanted to win this bet, as ridiculous of a motivation as it was.

After a lot of unproductive thinging she got so frustrated she just had to kick something. As fate had it, Twilight's portal-opening machine stood in the way.

Something broke and all of the sudden a frightening amount of magic shot out of the portal. The swirling rainbow light hit the door to the room with a mighty roar, awaking a gigant cloud of dust and smoke and a havy rain of crystal shreds. All Sunset Shimmer could do was hide her head in her hooves cowering on the ground and wait.

It took her a lot of effort to bring herself to peak from between her forelegs at the outcome of the explosion.

Her jaw dropped and she stared wide-eyed.

The floor was covered in shattered glass, crystals and dust. The drapes that hung on the walls burned down to ashes. A cloud of smoke was slowly settling down around a giant hole in the wall surrounded by a complicated pattern of cracks and smaller holes.

Sunset slowly got up and manouvering between sharp shreds walked over to the opening. There, on the floor, layed a piece of wall attached to the intact door.

“That must have been one heck of a spell Twilight used,” she said abnormaly loud, because her ears were still ringing from the sound of the magical beam.

Now she just had to get to Canterlot, grab her comic books from the castle, which meant a break-in coming and return here. As simple as that.

*************

The sun in equestria has already set and the moon rose high into the night sky. Sunset took a while to gape at the marvelous stars of her homeworld, so much brighter than on the other side of the portal.

She decided to try and teleport inside the castle, straight to the room that used to be hers and the back out. She new from Twilight that Princess Celestia kept the door closed for years, so she hoped her things were still there.

In a flash of cerulean light she was gone from the castle gardens (don't ask how she got there, Celestia's former students have their methods) and appeared inside the building.

*************

She immidiately knew something went wrong. It most certainly wasn't her room. The air was filled with the sound of running water from behind the side door. The walls were lined up with book cases, in the middle of a soft carped stood a giant bed, too big for any pony of normal size. In the corner was a perch for a giant bird, with said bird sitting on it- a phoenix.

“Hello, Filomina,” Sunset recognised the bird and was regonised too. “Sorry, I don't have any treats for you today,” she said.

Then she understood what she just did, everything clicked into place and she paniced.

She landed in her former mentor's room, a few doors up the corridor from her own.

She jumped to the door, her mind set on running away while she still could. But her magic was strained from teleportation after a long time of laying dormant and she didn't manage to open the door.

BANG! She slammed her head into the wooden surface.

The sound of flowing water stopped.

“Luna? Is that you? I told you I haven't been using a rubber duck for years. If you're still trying to take a photo of me with it I swear...”

Suddenly Sunset remembered how she used to practice her animal-scare-off spell on Celestia's rubber ducks. Somehow they always ended up chewed to shreds.

The door opened, revealing none other than the Princess of the Sun herself. She didn't look very regal at the moment, though.
Her coat was completely wet, her mane and tail hung limply, shampoo dripping from them. Her eyes had dark rings around them, clearly implying the princess had had a bad day and was simply exhausted.

Sunset bliked. She might have even laughed at the sight had she not been so terrified.

Princess Celestia, expecting her sister, at first serarched above Sunset's head. Then she looked down.

“Oh. Hello, Sunset,” she said as if she had seen the orange unicorn just the day before.

“I'm sorry about the rubber ducks,” was all the girl could say.

“Don't worry. I didn't need them anyway,” the princess smiled.

Sunset struggled to keep a straight face as she caught a glmpse of one of said ducks on the floor behind the co-ruler of Equestria.

“How has your day been? Have you learnt anything interesting?” the white alicorn continued.

“Oh, it was fine. Today I've learnt an important lesson on the magic of randomness,” Sunset replied seariously. “And accidents with magical portals.”

“I didn't know they teach that at school,” Celestia raised an eyebrow.

“It was... an additional subject to improvised planning,” Sunset forced herself to smile.

“Oh, alright then,” the princess said. It was obvious she didn't want to think to much at the moment. “Is there any particular reason why you came here?”

The unicorn rubbed the back of her head awkwardly. “Um... I kind of missed my room while teleporting.”

“Sunset Shimmer, what did I tell you about teleportation?” Celestia frowned.

“Do not attempt inside,” Sunset said as one can say only something they repeated countles times. “I know.”

The Sun Princess was still looking at her.

“I'm sorry?” Sunset tried.

“Eh, when will the day come you will actually listen to me,” the alicorn sighed, accompaning her former student to the door, clearly unaware of the trail of water and shampoo she left behind.

Sunset was already standing outside the door when she felt there's one thing that's been missing in all of her partings with her mentor.
Without any warning she threw her forelegs around Celestia'd neck.

After a while the surprised alicorn returned the hug. “I love you too, my little Sunset.”

All too soon Sunset Shimmer found herself standing alone in the corridor, her heart stinging with pain of unknown source. She had no idea what just happened, but at the same time she knew it should have happened long ago.

Then she remembered why she came there. She shrugged and went for the comic books.

************

On the other side of the door Princess Celestia returned to her bathroom, so exhausted she tripped along the way as the whole world went spinning. She shook her head. She desperately needed some rest. Then she remembered what just happened.

“Was that... No, impossible. It couldn't have been her. I really need more sleep. Maybe I should ask Luna if she could rise the sun tommorow when she co...” she didn't finish because her hoof instead of the floor found a rubber duck and The Princess of the Sun fell to the ground.

There was a bright flash, a sound of camera and a loud giggle, followed by the sound of hoofsteps of somepony running on the marble floor.

“Luna?” Celestia asked then realised what that meant. “LUNA! COME BACK HERE!” she yelled.

Comments ( 13 )

Lol. :rainbowlaugh: Cute story! :raritywink:

7431929 Thank you :twilightsmile: It means so much to me :pinkiehappy:

The ending was fantastic. :rainbowlaugh:

Thank you all for your words of support. I'm glad you enjoyed my story :pinkiehappy:

the ending confuses me what happened there

is this story over or will there be more

The first chapter was solid, despite the dialog being a bit to clipped (short sentences bouncing between too many characters). But it worked. Didn't seem ESL at all. The second chapter had a lot of typos, and would benefit from you rereading it and putting in stuff which should be obvious that you missed. Overall, a very good effort. You earned an up-vote.

However, I agree with 7504893; the story and the ending imply a third chapter. I suspect Sunset will encounter Twilight at the castle, and then she has to win her bet with Twilight perhaps backing her up, or what ever makes more sense to you. Write another chapter. It will be good practice for you!

Then write another story.

I didn't plan on writing a third chapter and I still don't. Sorry if it was confusing but I don't think it's very uncommon for episodes in some soap operas (I think that's what they are called) to end like that, at least where I'm from- you know, characters start doing something and the picture freezes for the viewers to never know what happened next.
And sorry for the typos. As I said, English is not my primary language. I may try to reread it when I have a computer to work on- it's kind of a difficult job when using a tablet.

We need a sequel where Sunset gets movies from Equestria.

I'm a bit peeved that we didn't find out what Rainbow Dash & the others thought about the Power Ponies comics. It just feels too unresolved to me.

So where is the chapter where Sunset shows her comics to the girls back in Human Equestria?

8323030
doesn't exist
things like this always get your hopes up then never give you what you want

Login or register to comment