• Published 9th May 2016
  • 848 Views, 5 Comments

Tirek's Revenge, or How Revenge Can Create Justice - Mistershield



Tirek seeks his revenge, but he can't do it alone. An unlikely ally appears, and a long and arduous trial awaits Princess Twilight Sparkle. One she has never encountered before. Is she up to the task?

  • ...
2
 5
 848

Chapter Three- Spike

A few seconds ago, the assistant dragon jumped up to land on Pinkie Pie’s back. Pinkie Pie and the mayor took off, making their way to the door. “So it's not any sign of danger?” Spike asked. All of his limbs hanging on for dear life.

“No! I don't get it either!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Are you sure?” Mayor Mare asked, face scrunching up. It was the only reason she tagged along, otherwise the Mayor couldn’t afford to get herself in danger. Of course, she would never run around screaming “save yourselves.” or anything like that.

“Just look!” Pinkie Pie came to a stop, coming up to the herd of ponies gathered around Twilight and Prince Tirek. All of them had to raise their heads to look at the young centaur.

“Woah…” Spike whispered, not sure what to make of it. While his own experiences with Tirek were anything but nice, he would never forget the centaur.

“May ancestor lives?” Prince Tirek spoke up, turning to look back at Twilight. “Can it be? I must see him!” The centaur’s eyes perked up, finally display emotions of… Spike couldn’t tell. His hand was formed into a fist, clutching the scroll tight enough to make his knuckles turn white. The way teeth and lips were curled in a snarl, reminded him so much of the older Tirek. Yellow eyes were narrowed in… Rage? But-

“No! Now way will Lord Tirek have any visitors!” Twilight suddenly exclaimed, flying at eye level with Prince Tirek. Her eyes were narrowed now, though more as an act of standing behind her decision, than of anger. “He is under-”

“I know he is incarcerated! That’s why I came to investigate this myself!” The prince’s outburst made all of the ponies cower in fear. Even the alicorn princess had to land back onto the ground. “I have to see if this is true!” Both of his nostrils flared out. His hot, white breath was visibly seen spewing out of his nose as his muscles flexed.

While all of the ponies were trying to gather their thoughts, Spike looked around to see if there was anypony brave enough to stand with Twilight. If he was evil, and had the same powers as Lord Tirek, none of them stood a chance. So far, only Pinkie Pie was the only other element of Harmony present. But the poor pink pony was just as startled as the others. But… why was Twilight not fighting back? The tiny dragon also moved a claw to his chest, also confused by his own lack of- Fear?

No. It was not fear that filled his chest or made his heart pound. But why? Spike narrowed his own green eyes, not sure what was going on. Why was he not afraid? If he wasn’t afraid, what was he feeling?

“I… Investigate?”

The words made all the ponies turn to look back at Twilight, as she picked herself back up to stand and look up at the prince. She seemed peeved, but Spike lived with the alicorn long enough to recognize that look. Twilight had one eyebrow raised, her mouth relaxed a bit as her neck was stretched up to keep her head in focus. The alicorn was confused, but was still paying careful attention. Her own fear and concern for all the ponies was being overwritten by her curiosity.

For his part, the centaur closed both eyes, and raised his left hand to his face and rub both eyes. He took slow breaths, trying to calm down and relax his frame. “Forgive my outburst. Yes. I,” Prince Tirek held out his hand to show the scroll in his hand, “received this scroll.”

Princess Twilight studied the scroll for a moment. As she did, Spike hopped off Pinkie and slowly walked between the legs of ponies and head towards his boss. They both, however, easily recognized the scroll material. It was from Canterlot castle, no doubt about it. Each one knew the smell, material, and the ribbon used to seal it. High quality, and only the Princesses used it. “May I-”

“No!” The prince took back his scroll and hastily opened his eyes, clutching the scroll to his chest. “Not until I see this Tirek!” Both hands moved to his chest, fumbling a bit to place the scroll back into his pouch. “A dragon whelp?” He stopped moving when he spotted Spike hop on Twilight’s back.

“Spike?” Twilight took a second to recognize her assistant land on her. “You shouldn’t-”

“Hello there,” the prince smiled a bit, bowing down at his waist to look at Spike’s face. “I’ve never seen such a young dragon before. “My name’s Prince Tirek.” His snarl and apprehension was gone, now replaced with a toothy smile and a relaxed gaze.

“Uh, hi. I’m Spike?” This was all too confusing. Just a second ago the “prince” was filled with rage, and now he was so- polite. “Um... “

“Oh, please excuse my outburst.” The prince stood up straight and moved a hand out to his mane and clear his head. “Not mane, hair,” Spike had to think to himself. “I was, not myself there. It just fills me with rage when I see injustice and cruelty.”

“Cruelty?” Spike asked, now his own eyebrow raised. All the ponies now were slowly snapping out of it, confused and curious as well.

“Oh yes. You see, my scroll was filled with details about cruelty, injustice, foul play, and mistreatment caused to one of Nether Realm’s citizens. As a Prince, it is my duty to see if this is true.”

Twilight turned her head to look over at Spike, now also more confused than ever. “Forgive me Prince Tirek. What do you mean?” Twilight asked, turning to look back at the centaur.

“Ah. Well, I cannot show you the letter, for I fear my investigation may be tampered with.” Prince Tirek stood straight, now moving both hands behind his back. “But..”

“As a Princess of Equestria, I give you my word that your investigation will not be tampered or changed,” Twilight said, as Spike nodded.

“Young Spike, is her word worth listening to?” Tirek crossed both arms over his chest, and completely ignored the the other ponies. Well, it seemed this Tirek had something else in common with the locked up Tirek. They both had bad impressions of ponies.

Finding himself on the spot, Spike shrugged both shoulders anxiously. The last time he was confronted like this, it had been at the Friendship Summit. So many weird things were happening. A royal centaur. An investigation. The confusing emotion. Twilight’s word in question? This was the alicorn that would not interfere or step in when Fluttershy was going to work for six months in a trade! “I… Well why would you not believe her?” Spike moved a claw to his head, trying to clear his head.

“I…” The centaur raised his own right hand to his chin in thought. “Well, Princess Twilight was not mentioned in the letter, true…” The prince released a sigh. “Very well. I suppose if I want to do this without any problems, I must also comply as a sign of goodwill. Do you swear upon your honor that I shall receive your help, Princess?”

“You are a prince, and although our two kingdoms haven’t had much contact, we are still in a treaty. As a princess myself, I realize how serious royal duties can be. I swear that I will do anything in my power to make sure that this is all cleared up.” Twilight bowed her head once out of respect. Whatever her problems or reservations were with Lord Tirek, she wouldn’t let him impede on her judgement of the rest of the Nether Realm citizens. “You could even give the scroll to Spike to read if it will make you feel better.”

The prince took a moment to ponder this, then gave a nod. The young were innocent and ignorant, but the dragon child showed no signs of being mistreated. He reached into his pouch and pulled out the scroll again. It was almost like magic, Spike noticed. The scroll was so small and tiny as it came out of the pouch, but gradually became larger as it was pulled out and presented.

“Spike, please read it out loud.”

“A moment,” Prince Tirek spoke out. “Maybe this should not be done in the streets.”

“That’s right everypony!”

All the head turned, looking back at Mayor Mare. “This is a royal matter now, so we should all get back on with our lives. All is safe, and the prince presents no threat… Right?” The prince blinked once, turning to look at the new pony. He nodded once, finally understanding what was being expected of him. Such an outburst towards a princess was very unsightly.

Princess Twilight nodded with a smile, and the other ponies understood. This was a royal matter now. The ponies started chatter among themselves and leave and go back to their daily business. “Pinkie, not you please.”

“Yeah Twi?”

Spike, Prince Tirek, and Twilight all had to turn their heads to spot Pinkie was now at the left side of the purple alicorn. The young centaur was the one most in shock, raising an arm to his face as he stepped back in surprise. Pinkie was now smiling, glad that the whole nasty scene was over. For her own part, Twilight shook it off as her friend was being Pinkie.

“I need you to get the rest of our friends. Meet us in the castle, but not until after I finish off with our new guest.” Twilight smiled as Pinkie sat on her hindquarters to salute. “The kitchen should be fine, you can all eat a snack while you wait.”

“Let’s give the prince a welcome party!” Pinkie then took off, eyes opened wide in excitement. Young Tirek relaxed and watched the pink pony take off like a rocket.

“I don’t want a party?” Prince Tirek called out in a low voice, clearly confused by the turn of events.

“Come with me into my castle. Forgive me for my earlier misunderstanding,” Twilight sighed. Pinkie was clearly getting the wrong idea and was getting ahead of herself. “Would you mind sharing the details about this letter?”

“I suppose so.” The prince turned back to look down at the princess and the young dragon. It seems they were the only ones heading to the crystal palace. “A few months ago, we received this letter at my home. But the odd thing? It arrived with no courier, in a magic teleportation spell.”

“No mailpony either? Spike asked.

“Uh…” Prince Tirek looked left and right, not sure what to make of the term. “No mail creature of any kind, unless they were further away to drop off the spell. Usually an attendant brings in the mail.”

“A few months ago…” Twilight muttered, thinking and collecting data. “Anything else?”

“My father read it, and immediately fell into shock. He went pale, and upon the disarray it left my father, my mother took the letter to read.” The prince winced, one eye closed as he looked away a bit. “My mother’s reaction was filled with righteous fury. When I read it, my own mood took a foul turn.”

“That bad huh?” Spike asked. He looked down at the crumpled-up scroll in his claws and wondered what it could possibly mean. The centaur also mentioned “injustice”. This was serious enough to send the prince instead of an embassador.

“Oh yes, young dragon. You will see once you read. While my father wished to send the embassador, my mother felt that it was about time that our two nations start communicating again. I was sent to both investigate the matter, and we should still be in friendly terms with Equestria.” The prince came to a stop, now looking over at the entrance. “Although my mother was angry enough to almost declare war.”

“Great,” Twilight sighed under her breath. “Another incident that can lead to war…”

“Another?” Prince Tirek raised his left eyebrow. “Interesting.”

“Another time. We are here,” Twilight raised her head to open the doors. “I’m afraid I have no attendants or guards in my castle.”

“I- Princess Celestia would send her daughter to live alone by herself?” Prince Tirek walked in, looking around the palace. Swanky.

“No no no no,” Twilight immediately blushed, looking away. “I am, uhm- not Princess Celestia’s daughter.” She had to clear the misunderstanding right away. “And I live alone by choice.” She added. It was not the prince’s fault for taking a reasonable guess.

“So you are a princess from another royal family? Say no more,” Prince Tirek nodded. It brought him a bit of relief actually. “I feel I can trust you more than the other royalty of Equestria.”

“I see.” Twilight came to a stop at the map room. It had enough space for the young centaur to stand straight. Best to leave things alone so they could get to business. She was not the one in issue, it seems. “Please, sit if you wish.”

“I’m fine standing. I have been traveling a while to get here.” Still, the prince walked over to stand behind one of the thrones. It had three diamonds on it. How odd. Each hand moved to hold the throne and study the structure. “You may read anytime, Spike.” Twilight reminded the dragon with a smile.

“Oh, right…” Spike cleared his throat and jumped down on the map table. He waited until Twilight sat down then opened up the scroll to read out loud. He then turned to the prince, and he nodded as well. “To The Rulers of the Nether Realm. Ponies have committed a grave mistake and a great injustice. One of its citizens was treated with indescribable cruelty. This citizen was thrown into a cage like an animal, without even a notice of when the citizen was to be released. No sun, no moon, no windows of any kind.”

Twilight raised her head. Equestria had no prisoners! Or even a dungeon the only one that even- Her eyes widened as she realized that the letter was really talking about Lord Tirek.

“There is absolutely no food or water given. No company given, other than a foul three-headed beast. No recreational time, not even with good behavior. No chance of release or parole. There’s not even a pillow, blanket, or even straw for a bed. Each night, your citizen must spend a night on a cold, hard metal cage. Not a day goes by without the sounds of demons filling the stale air. No trial was given. This citizen has been detained for far longer than any creature alive. Now your citizen did commit a crime, true- but this has gone on for over 1,000 years, back to the time when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna overthrew the handsome, witty, and clever King Discord.”

“Discord…” Twilight sighed, placing a hoof to her face. Now she knew who wrote this. The prince turned to student the princess, waiting for any clues to be given. Discord? No mention of such a name back home.

“Please. Put an end to this injustice. Please, free your citizen.” Spike picked his head up from the scroll, rolling it back up. “That’s all there is.”

“I see. And because this scroll is from the royal palace of Equestria, your family had no choice but to believe it.” Twilight sat back down and sighed. Discord was the only one who could have delivered the letter using magic. Only he knew how Lord Tirek could possibly feel, being in stone for 1,000 years as well. “And all the contents in that letter sound so wrong.”

The centaur nodded. “This is why I came here in person and investigate.”

“I’m afraid…” Twilight sighed. Oh, all this sounded so bad. Another war was going to happen and it was going to be all her fault. She moved to sit straight, and then stand up. She had to stand up to deliver the bad news. “I need you to understand that Lord Tirek committed many heinous crimes against the ponies of Equestria.”

“The letter does state that the citizen in question was guilty of such crimes,” Prince Tirek spoke in a very, very low voice. “But is the rest of that letter true? Do you have one of my citizens in a jail with not a single blanket or even some straw?” He stopped there, moving away from the throne and walking over to the alicorn. Each hand moved behind his back, each yellow eye closing a bit to gauge her reaction. “Is there absolutely no chance of parole? Was there even a chance for a fair trial?” Each time he spoke, his voice became deeper and deeper, slowly filling with anger that began to bubble forth. “No food or water, not even fresh air?”

Twilight turned her head, eyes closed. After a moment of arduous silence, she responded back in a strained tone. “It’s all true.”

Author's Note:

It looks like both Tireks have the same idea...
But what will Twilight do now?

Comments ( 1 )

Oooh, dear: we ARE in trouble, Twilight. I can only wonder how bad things will go from this point on.

Login or register to comment