• Published 19th Mar 2016
  • 979 Views, 8 Comments

Imperatives - RhetCon



Flurry Heart has to make an important decision.

  • ...
2
 8
 979

My Answer

“Isn’t it just beautiful, Princess?”

“Yes.”

“Troubled?”

“Very.”

“I see. You’re usually much more talkative, Ma’am.” The rose colored princess turned to face her subject. Her teal eyes were soft and tired.

“Am I?” She asked.

“Yes,” he answered. “Your diet has changed as well. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that your entire appetite has disappeared.”

“I am getting older,” she responded. “Auntie Tia and Auntie Luna don’t have much time to eat either.”

“Everyone is feeling the tension, I believe,” said the subject. “Anyone would say you’re handling it all rather well.” She turned back around.

“When I was a child,” the Princess started, “and my mom and dad weren’t around, I used to stare at the sunset. Even though I knew it was bad for my eyes, I felt so calm doing it. I could get lost for hours.”

“I can concur,” said the subject. “Sometimes reflecting on something beautiful can help clear the mind of stress.”

“Even with this sunset, I cannot feel at ease,” said the princess. “The sun will not solve my problems.”

“May I suggest that you get some sleep?” said the subject. “A good night’s sleep may be what you need. Tomorrow is also a big day.”

“Yes,” she said. “Maybe sleep is what I need. Thank you for the talk.” When no response could be heard, the princess turned around. The pony had disappeared without a sound. She moved it to the back of her mind and slowly trotted to her room.

The Crystal Castle would be silent as the princess fell into a slumber. The Crystal Empire wouldn’t.


The princess awoke slowly, quietly and calmly. Grateful for having shed her exhaustion, she slowly placed her hooves on the cold crystal that made the floors.

It almost made her forget what today was.

“Chilling, is it not?” asked a voice. The subject from yesterday was sitting in the corner. “Please, ma’am. Adorn some shoes lest you fall ill.”

“Fall ill,” she repeated. “Maybe I should.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“For what I’m about to do, should I not fall ill?”

“Do not speak of yourself in such a way, ma’am,” said the subject forcefully. “What would your mother and father have thought, had you said something so ridiculous?”

“I…” she looked away. “What do you suggest I do?”

“A princess is named so because of her ability to rule, and lead,” said the subject. “Cadence was an amazing leader, and she trusted you with her kingdom.”

“She was my mother,” said the princess. “It was only natural for her to hand me her kingdom.”

“Nevertheless, she trusts you,” he said. “In difficult times like these, ponies look up to their leader for support.”

“And who does a leader look to for support?”

“I am an example,” he said. “Without the people, the leader has no support. It’s symbiotic.”

A knock rang throughout the room, grabbing the princess’ attention. The princess trotted over to the door to be met with another subject.

“Princess Flurry Heart,” said the subject. “The Princess are waiting.”

“Yes, of course,” said Flurry Heart. “Lead the way.”

“You are missing your horseshoes, princess,” said the subject. “Would you like a few minutes to put them on?”

“I will go without them,” she said. “This is a matter of great importance. Delaying it any longer is irresponsible.”

“Yes, Princess,” said the subject. “Right this way.” Before leaving, Flurry Heart glanced behind her, the subject she was previously in conversation with had disappeared once again.

“What a peculiar pony,” she said.

Flurry Heart sat around a roundtable, accompanied by three others. Flurry Heart was much younger than many around the table, yet she knew them well.


“Flurry Heart, welcome,” said Luna, Flurry's aunt and the first to speak. “I trust that you are well rested?”

“Yes, I am,” she answered. “Thank you for the concern.”

“Let us get down to business, shall we?” said Twilight, Flurry's aunt, and sister-in-law of her mom. She brought many papers. “Firstly, let’s make sure we are all on the same page. Flurry, if you would?”

“Me?” asked Flurry. “Ahem. A… virus of sorts, is infecting everything, living or otherwise.”

“Yes,” confirmed Celestia, the eldest of all around the table. “We have decided to call it The Eli Virus.”

“Moving along,” said Twilight. “I would like to discuss numbers. As of this morning… 20,000 ponies have fallen ill, and 500 have passed on.”

“I see,” said Luna. “This is most unfortunate.”

“Luna and I will personally extend a few words of comfort to those who have lost,” added Celestia. “Flurry, I understand you are experiencing a large amount of stress yourself. Understand that we are all here for you.”

“Thank you, Auntie,” said Flurry Heart. “I really appreciate it.”

“Now, I think we’ve ignored the most important question of this conversation for long enough,” said Luna. “We’ve convened here to answer it, no?”

“Yes,” answered Flurry Heart. “Victims of this virus… Do we quarantine them, or leave them be?”

“It truly is a difficult question,” said Luna. “We must choose carefully.”

“It’s just a cruel thing to ask of the ponies of Equestria,” said Twilight. “Either die or give up your loved ones.”

“I’ve lived a long time,” said Celestia. “I’ve ruled for a similarly long time. Things like this tend to appear. Yes, Twilight, it is cruel, but you must ask yourself this: What will elongate your kingdom’s survival?”

“The… quarantine,” she answered slowly. “I understand, but something is telling me I can’t do that to Ponyville.”

“I agree with my sister,” said Luna. “While it is cruel, it is the best for those not infected.”

“I… you’re right,” said Twilight, closing her eyes. “I hate it, yet it is the lesser of two evils.”

Flurry Heart stayed silent. She couldn’t get words to come out. Tears threatened to rip past her defenses and fall. Sensing this discomfort, all of the princesses turned towards her.

“Flurry Heart…” said Twilight. “I’m so sorry, but…”

Flurry stood and left the room, the princesses calling after her. She started at a fast trot, which turned to full gallop. She couldn’t face anyone, in fear of them shaming her. Without realizing it, she escaped to the terrace of the castle. Soon she came to see that a pony was standing there as well.

The pony had a large discolored gash in its side. This stallion had the virus. When he turned around, the look on Flurry’s face turned to one of melancholic despair.

“Ah, if it isn’t you, ma’am.” The subject from earlier stood before her, his normally bright teal coat discolored with gray. He still smiled despite his condition. “Is your meeting over so soon?”

“You…” she said. “You’re infected.”

“Ah, yes,” he said. “I may have been dabbling in something I shouldn’t have been. I was careless.”

“Are… you going to…”

“Please, ma’am, do not cry over me,” he said. “I am but one of many. Don’t worry. I believe you will come up with a cure soon.”

“I-is this actually happening?” she asked, tears flowing like a river. “You’re going to die.”

“Everyone dies sooner or later, ma’am. I am no exception.” Flurry Heart grasped the subject with her hoof. “Thank you, ma’am. It is an honor.”

Flurry Heart’s horn slowly lit up, gradually getting brighter.

“Ma’am,” said the subject. “You are stronger than you know. Love brings many things.”

Flurry’s horn was now completely encased in pink light.

“Love can bring anything, in fact. All you have to do is believe in it.”

Flurry’s horn shot a loud, pink ball into the sky. At its apex, it burst into a large, pink, clear heart.

Everywhere, everyone and anything could see it. And they did. They were all filled with a sense of hope. A future.

“Although it has been nice knowing you, ma’am,” said the subject. “My job is done, and I must depart.”

"D-depart?” asked Flurry. “Why?”

“I am no longer needed here,” he said. “The people needed you to give them hope. You’ve done just that.”

Flurry Heart looked at the heart in the sky in awe. The large heart was still glowing brightly in the sky. When she looked down, the subject was yet again gone. In his place, a letter sat. After picking it up, she opened and read it in her head.

“We believe in you, Flurry.”

~Mom and Dad

Flurry looked up from the letter and took a deep breath. A cluster of hoof steps resounded behind her, making her turn around.

“Flurry, here you are,” said Celestia. “We were worried.”

“Yes,” said Luna. “Please do not do that again,”

“Are you okay?” asked Twilight. She didn’t answer, at first, instead looking at the note in her hand.

“Auntie Tia?” asked Flurry. “Can we push this quarantine back?”

“Push it back?” She asked. “How so?”

“Give me a little more time to help those who need it,” she said clearly. “I am my people’s hope, and must act as such. I have to help the before they can help me.” They were silent as Flurry looked towards her heart.

“I have no qualms with that,” said Celestia. “It seems you have found your own answer to our question, then?”

“Yes,” she said. “I have.”

Author's Note:

This story was submitted for the "Save Flurry!" group's contest.
If you liked it, please give it a thumbs up and comment.

Comments ( 7 )

Thanks!
I didn't expect anyone to comment this early, but thank you anyways.

7049643 I wasn't really planning any sequels, but if I get any ideas, I'll definitely consider it.

7051208 maybe she could start the plan of what she was talking about and then as she starts she ends up getting the desise but gets cured or something like that....:derpytongue2: idk tho its just an idea off the top of my head

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Well, grats on winning the contest.

There's a tag for Flurry now.

Login or register to comment