• Published 10th Mar 2016
  • 1,611 Views, 16 Comments

One Small Step, One Giant Mistake - Dat Dash



What if Celestia banished Nightmare Moon to OUR moon, and she awoke during the Apollo 11 moon landing? An AU retelling of the Nightmare Moon two-parter. (Ponies belong to Hasbro. We don't know who real life belongs to yet, but we're working on it.)

  • ...
4
 16
 1,611

Discovery

“So, um… how do you intend to find Nightmare Moon, Princess?” asked Fluttershy, a shy pegasus animal caretaker.

“A very good question, my little pony," Celestia replied, “With the right spell, I can see the whole of space and time.”

“Ooh, like some kind of telescope?” asked Pinkie Pie, an earth pony and party planner.

Celestia chuckled slightly. “Sort of.”

Her horn lit up, as her eyes glowed white. Celestia was scanning the entire universe for her sister, her determination for reunion and redemption fueling her.

“I found her,” she said, her horn and eyes powering down.

Celestia turned to Twilight and the five young ponies she had met earlier that day. “I will be sending the six of you to another world altogether. I want you to find my sister for me.”

“I appreciate it, Princess, but I’m afraid I won't be needing any help,” said Twilight confidently. “I’m sure I’m more than capa—“

“You say that now, Twilight… but there will most likely come a time where you are proven wrong.”

Twilight gave an angry sigh.

“In order to not arouse suspicion from the native population, I will be disguising you as members of the dominant species. And whatever you do, don't tell anypony who you really are.”

Celestia lit her horn and eyes up again, as a blinding flash of light engulfed their vision.


“My fellow Americans...” The President’s words were being broadcast to every television in the country, for the subject matter was much too important to be kept under wraps.

“It is with the deepest regret that I must inform you that yesterday, on July 21, at 4:19 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, our mission to place a man on the moon ended in tragedy. Three brave men, Neil Armstrong, Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin, and Michael Collins, were attacked and killed in cold blood by an unidentified extraterrestrial being. We don't know what it is, or where it comes from. We only know that it intends to conquer our planet, and cover us all in everlasting night. As ludicrous as these events may sound, this is what actually happened. The threat to our national and global security is too high to withhold this information from the American people. Even at this very moment, we are negotiating a temporary alliance with the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics to protect ourselves, and mankind himself, from conquest.”

The President paused momentarily, knowing the weight of his words.

“Now, the way I see it, as of today, the word ‘mankind’ holds a new meaning for us all. For as long as he has walked this Earth, man has fought against himself for one reason or another. This conflict has taken many forms over the centuries; the Punic War… the Crusades… the War for American Independence… the French Revolution… the World Wars… the current conflict in Vietnam... no matter the name, war never changes. We have been too busy fighting ourselves to remember that despite the fact that we could potentially eliminate ourselves in indiscriminate retaliation, we are simply a minuscule part of a much larger universe that could destroy us all at any moment, and much more efficiently than we ever could. The time has come for us to put aside our differences and protect our survival as a species, so that our children can remember this day, not as the day man was enslaved by an alien conqueror, but as the day man rose up and declared to the universe that he will not be trampled upon by those who wish him to kneel at their feet.”

The President’s confidence and bravery could be heard in his voice as he concluded his speech. “Thank you, God bless you, God bless the United States of America, and God bless the human race.”


The Soviet government was in disarray. Some officials believed that the American claim of extraterrestrial sabotage of their moon landing was a plot to invade the Union, while others claimed that the Americans knew how unwise it would be to attempt an underhanded invasion, and thus they couldn't possibly be lying.

While this was going on, what appeared to be a young female military officer was approaching the Grand Kremlin Palace, where an emergency meeting of the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union was being held. She was fair-skinned and about 6’ 5” tall, with defined muscles, sapphire blue eyes and a well-endowed figure. Her long, straight black hair was tied into a ponytail at the back of the head. Her uniform was rather tight to accommodate her physique, and her insignia indicated that she was a General of the Army, a high-ranking official that answered only to the Marshall of the Soviet Union, the highest-ranking military officer in the country.

“Halt!” ordered a guard stationed at the front door, “Identify yourself, comrade, and state your business.”

“I am Veronika Lunnimov, General of the Army of the Soviet Union,” she replied, in a deep, commanding voice, “I must speak with the General Secretary of the Party.”

“No one is allowed entry to the Palace at this time,” the guard replied. “An emergency meeting of the Supreme Soviet is in progress, and no one is allowed to interrupt the procee—“

Lunnimov gave the guard a piercing glare, her eyes glowing slightly and her pupils narrowing into vertical slits.

“You shall grant me access to the Palace and escort me to the General Secretary immediately,” she ordered. Her voice had gained a slight reverberation and melodic quality.

The guard’s mind went blank, his eyes glazed over and his expression dull and vacant.

“I shall grant you access to the Palace and escort you to the General Secretary immediately,” he repeated in a weak monotone.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay, my senior year of high school kinda got in the way, and I also forgot this existed for a while.

No guesses as to who Ms. Lunnimov really is. :p

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated, but please don't be a dick about it. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 10 )

7015964 Those shadow eyes are unnerving.:twilightoops:

are u updating moar soon


......comrade?

"mankind itself".

Does Nightmare Moon know she can't control Earth's day or night cycle? Magic or no, she's powerless to control day or night one earth.

Comment posted by Autarch Prime deleted May 23rd, 2016

Sweet mother of mercy, NMM is going to take over the Soviet Union! Time to play the RA2 Hell March as the Cold War is about to get hot! Tracking this!

7239526 Seeing your comment just gave me the idea to start playing Hell March 2 >:)

COME ON WE NEED AH NEW CHAPTA
-scout

Login or register to comment