• Published 9th Jun 2012
  • 1,798 Views, 56 Comments

Flash and Crash Rainbow Dash - forbritisheyesonly



Standard Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie Shipfic with a tiny bit of adventure

  • ...
10
 56
 1,798

Chapter 5

*Wow sorry this chapter took so long you guys. I started a new job and my roommate is a slob so I haven’t been having much time to write. I hope you find this satisfactory. It was a ton of fun to write because I got to bring in some fun outside influences! Just read, you will see. I hope it is fun to read, like it was to write. Oh and also ten bonus points if you can catch the direct quote (nobody did in the last chapter).


All light disappeared completely as Rainbow and Twilight entered the forest. Strange grunts and screams of animals could be heard faintly in the distance, although still uncomfortably close in the oppressive darkness. A bullfrog croaked loudly to Twilight’s right loud enough to make her jump and gasp loudly. Twilight lit up her horn and that offered at least enough light to see the path ahead of them. Beyond the reach of her horn was black as pitch. Rainbow Dash could hear Twilight’s steady breath beside her and the clip clop of her hooves.

“Thank you for coming with me Twilight. I couldn’t have done any of this without you.”

“We haven’t made it just yet you know, we still have a few miles to go before we are out of here. Just keep your eyes out for anything suspicious. We should be coming up to a bridge according to the map.” The two ponies had spent just as much time in the Everfree forest as anypony else in Ponyville had, but the forest was huge. Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash knew their way around to a certain extent, but the path to Pinkie Pie’s childhood home was a mystery to both of them. Twilight was studying the map as she walked.

“I don’t understand. The bridge should be right here but I don’t see it.”

Just then Rainbow Dash snatched Twilight’s tail in her mouth and pulled her back, the two ponies landing in a heap.
“I think I found where that bridge is supposed to be Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said as the two ponies peered into an abyss that Twilight had almost found the useable bottom of.

The two ponies picked themselves up and brushed themselves off as they studied the deep, black chasm ahead of them. Rainbow Dash walked to the edge of it and followed it a few yards in either direction, feeling her way carefully so as not to fall in. She sat on the ground in desperation.

“Twilight what are we gonna do?!” Rainbow Dash was trying to maintain her composure but Twilight could see that she was going to break down.

“Well I don’t know what to do. The bridge is down and you can’t use your wings.”

“Twilight, Cant you use your magic and lift something over the gap?” Rainbow was grasping desperately at straws.

“That gap is 45 feet across. Anything that would go across would be too heavy for my magic to lift I’m afraid, and we don’t have any rope.”

Twilight had never seen Dash look so defeated. She lay down in the dirt and buried her head in a pile of leaves.

Twilight couldn’t bear to see her friend so upset. She took out her map and began to study it. After ten minutes of carefully looking over the map Twilight saw a narrow passage that could lead them there, a narrow passage, underground.

“It looks like there is a path that goes around, but it goes through an old Pony mine. We are not going through it. The mines are no place for a pony, Dash. We need to go back, at least to Zecora’s hut and we can get some rope- “

“NO. Twilight we don’t have time. We have to go through the cave.”

“Rainbow Dash, you aren’t thinking clearly. I don’t know what is going on between you two, but we can’t go in there, it isn’t worth it.”

“Twilight, I don’t care about any of that right now. I am going through the cave. Show me where it is and I will go alone, but I will not turn back now. I won’t turn back. Pinks needs me.”

Somehow Twilight knew Rainbow Dash would decide to go through the cave. She had her faults but fear was not one of them. Stubbornness and rushing into things without thinking maybe but not fear. She was mentally kicking herself for bringing it up in the first place, but she was scared that with no alternatives, Rainbow would try to fly over the gorge. Rainbow Dash trotted off while Twilight watched, writhing in internal conflict. She couldn’t let Rainbow Dash go alone. She would surely get lost or hurt and no pony left behind had always been her motto. But still, the mines scattered all around the forests of equestrian were terrible places. She could remember her brother coming home from guard duty talking about some of the horrible monsters and beasts he had faced. He once came home with a huge gash on his leg that was festering with infection. He wouldn’t even tell Twilight what horror had done that to him, as she helped nursed him back to health. But then she remembered the pain on her brother’s face and imagined it on her friend Rainbow Dash. She couldn’t let that happen to her. She realized that she had been sitting there for several minutes before snapping out of her trance like state, and Rainbow Dash was nowhere in sight. She ran towards Rainbow Dash’s hoof prints.

“Nice of you to join me Twilight, it was pretty dark without you.”

Twilight lit her horn a little brighter.

“Do not take this lightly Rainbow Dash, it is with great trepidation that I go in the mines, in fact I am only coming because I don’t want you to do something stupid. There are huge monsters and terrible creatures that make some of these mines their homes ” Twilight did not speak angrily but she was stern, and she felt pretty angry. Rainbow Dash was really endangering herself and Twilight by extension. What could she do though? If she went back to Ponyville and something happened to Rainbow Dash how would she ever be able to forgive herself?

“An adventure is an adventure Twilight.” Rainbow said, but rather than her usual excitement, she said it with a terrible grimness. Twilight shuddered at her foreboding thoughts. It seemed that they only walked for a few minutes before they were face to face with a great door in the middle of the ground about twenty meters from the side of the chasm. The door was a simple wood one, though very thick and with large iron bracers crossing it. Twilight and Rainbow Dash both tugged on the door as hard as their strength would allow. It didn’t even budge. The door was quite heavy and Rainbow Dash was not in her best condition, and Twilight was more of a scholar really. Grunting and straining they finally managed to wrench the door open a few inches. They managed to hold it long enough to wedge a large stick from nearby into the hole. With a bit of carefully placed rocks Twilight and Rainbow Dash quite easily levered the door open. A great spiraling stone staircase went strait down into the ground. Only the first few steps were visible as the rest descended into darkness.
“Huh I figured there would be a password or something.”

“No Rainbow Dash. I don’t think anything is trying to keep us out.” Keeping us in may be another story Twilight grimly thought.

“We can still turn back you know.” Twilight said without much hope.

“Not a chance Twilight, I don’t want you to come if you don’t want to but I am going.”

Twilight went first with a sigh, her horn lighting the way, and Dash brought up the rear. Eventually the staircase ended and the narrow passageway leveled out. If the two ponies thought it was dark in the forest it was darker in the cavern. To describe it as inky would have been an understatement. Black was not the color to depict it. It was something deeper. A darkness that was truly a complete void of light. Cobwebs crisscrossed the narrow cavern with such great thickness that they made it difficult to walk.

“Twilight I am glad you are here with that horn of yours or I would be bumping into the walls.”

“I am really scared Rainbow Dash and I HATE spiders.” She said while brushing frantically at her face to get the big, fat spider off that had just landed there.

“Reeelax Twilight! It is just dark is all. There is nothing to be scared of in here.” Rainbow Dash hoped she was telling the truth, for both of their sakes.

Suddenly the narrow passage opened into a huge cavern. At least twice the size of Ponyville. Across a deep chasm was a narrow rope bridge. Beyond that was an immense staircase leading up to a hole in the ceiling. The door let in pale moonlight that glittered softly on the jewels embedded in the walls. Both ponies’ jaws gaped as they surveyed the beautiful underground cavern.

“It’s beautiful” Twilight and Rainbow Dash both gasped in unison. The shear volume of the large domed structure was something worth seeing. There was a giant waterfall off to one side and a huge underwater lake underneath the bridge. It was too far down to be seen, but when Twilight dropped a rock there was a distinct splash sound.

“And look Rainbow, there is the exit. We just have to cross that bridge and climb the stairs and we are out of here. I hate it down here. The air is dank and I can’t breathe.”

“Don’t freak out Twilight, we are almost home free.”

Even as the words escaped Rainbow’s mouth there was an enormous explosion behind them and an eruption of psychotic laughter.

“MUAHAHAHAHAHA. You have so easily wandered into my trap my little ponies, and now you are mine. You won’t escape me so easily like your pink friend.”

Twilight gasped in fear. Rainbow Dash’s thoughts immediately went to Pinkie Pie. So she had also come through this cave? From the ceiling dropped a six-foot tall spider who was engulfed in a blue flame. Everything was happening so quickly that Rainbow Dash could barely keep up. A blinding light lit the whole cavern and the ponies could see how beautiful it would be in calmer circumstances. Even still it held a certain dark beauty, like that moment before a tragedy is about to happen on a clear summer night.

“Run, Rainbow Dash. He is beyond your skill to fight. Ill hold it off long enough for you to get out of here so you can go get Pinkie.”

“As if!” Rainbow shouted, as she began charging, although it was more like an awkward saunter due to her limp, directly at the beast. She ducked under one of his fangs and kicked as hard as she could at his stomach. The spider’s thick exoskeleton did not budge and Rainbow’s back hoofs erupted in painful shock and burns.

“Rainbow Dash, get out of here NOW!!!!” Twilight screamed with force. Rainbow took that as her cue to leave and she hobbled towards the steps as best she could as Twilight’s horn lit up. Rainbow stopped just at the bottom of the staircase to watch the battle unfold. The creature shot flaming webs at Twilight in an effort to ensnare her, but she was too fast to be hit. She dodged and ducked swiftly and without error. She rolled underneath one particularly large web and lost her footing. Twilight was scrambling to get up from the ground as a fireball came uncomfortably close to her face. The heat singed her mane and it brushed her flank just enough to leave a trail of burning hairs and tender skin. The spider seeing it’s opportunity ran forward and planted his fangs down right where Twilight’s flank had been. She once again trundled to one side and then the other as she avoided the monstrous jaws of the arachnid. His snapping fangs rattled greedily as he snapped them shut over and over in an attempt to decapitate Twilight. She was now pinned against a wall with only a few feet to move. Any misjudgment of the creatures gnashing jaws would be her death, impaled by a cruel tusk against a wall of solid rock. Rainbow Dash couldn’t just sit and watch. She had to help, but so far all she could do is limp back and forth shouting, “Watch out Twi!”

Twilight had regained control and was starting to push back against the beast. She was gaining the upper ground on him and using her horn to push him back. He roared at her and continued shooting the flaming webs with even more frequency. The cave began to glow as the fire caught all over the plateau that they were fighting on. Twilight used her horn to cause a huge rock to break off of the wall and fall on top of the monster. Before he could regain his footing she sent more rocks flying at him. Each fireball he shot was met head on with a rock making dazzling explosions of fire and earth in the air. Suddenly the creature howled in rage and began shooting flames like a huge flamethrower. The flames licked hungrily at the cave walls and floor, seeking something organic to devour. Twilight had only seconds to act before she found herself the victim of these ferocious flames. She ducked behind a rock that covered some of her but she felt the intense pain of the heat hitting her full on her back right flank. Something broke inside Twilight as the pain travelled up her entire body.

Wracked with painful tremors she planted all four hooves wide and threw her head back. Twilight’s eyes went white and the magic flew from her like an unstoppable force. She shouted a frenzied roar as the spider taunted her from across the cave. Rainbow Dash watched in horror as Twilight’s body began to shake violently and purple sparks began encircling her. She watched as Twilight lost all control and the ground beneath the beast began to buckle. Soon the entire cavern was shaking and giant stalactites were falling from the ceiling. The floor, walls and ceiling buckled and cracked as Twilight’s magic flew out in uncontrollable spurts. A falling rock impaled the spider as it dropped out of sight into the chasm. The beast let out a hissing screech as it disappeared deep into the hole. Twilight wobbled on her feet the ground beneath her gave way. Twilight was falling. She heard a loud blast and then she saw a rainbow appear above her. She felt two hooves grasp her as she slipped into unconsciousness.

Twilight woke up groggily on a patch of muddy ground. She shifted her gaze around and saw the huge area of collapsed ground off to her left. She had truly brought down the entire cave. Twilight stood shakily on her feet and looked about at her surroundings. This side of the chasm was much brighter because the trees weren’t as thick. Thin shafts of silvery moonlight shone down through gaps in the branches. Twilight looked down at her side where Rainbow Dash lay with her eyes closed, panting heavily.

Twilight knelt down beside her and pulled gently at her mane. “Rainbow?” she whispered, barely audible. “Are you okay?”
Rainbow Dash lifted up her head and tried to stop her eyes from spinning. She was very dizzy and her wings were throbbing dully and cramping.

When Twilight saw Rainbow Dash coming to she collapsed onto the ground beside her and weakly breathed, “Oh Rainbow you are okay, good.” Twilight had little time to worry about Rainbow Dash as she was still trying to take a proper assessment of herself.

Rainbow continued moving her head side-to-side trying to clear her muddied brain.

“We are a couple of banged up ponies, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight whispered.

Rainbow Dash nodded weakly. The two ponies sat in silence for a few minutes, each of them trying to build the energy to get up. Rainbow Dash finally attempted to get up but it was no use. Her legs refused to support her and she fell to the ground.
“Twilight, I think we may have to lay here until we die.” Rainbow Dash creaked. She inched forward and snuggled against Twilight in an effort to gain some body heat. The temperature seemed to be dropping and Twilight shivered as the two ponies lay together in a heap. They both closed their eyes, resting, trying to regain some strength.
They lay for a few minutes more when a mysterious music could be faintly heard

“Do you hear that Twilight?” Rainbow asked tentatively, worried that she was going crazy from the agony.

“Yes, Rainbow I do. It sounds like some kind of woods party or something.”

The noise of lutes and lyres and drums and wood flutes met their ears happily. Twilight and Rainbow Dash found the music very unsettling, as it seemed to add to the mystery of the woods and the night. It steadily grew louder as Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle strained their ears to hear. Four ponies dressed in suddenly appeared directly in front of them as if by magic. The must have been extremely stealthy to sneak up on Twilight and Rainbow Dash without them being aware of their presence at all. As the ponies stared at each other, sizing one another up, many more of the mysterious green clad ponies began to creep into the clearing.

The one in front, the largest stallion began to speak.

“Well, well, well, what have we here? A couple of ponies lost in the woods, it seems? Where do you go, from where did you come, and what is your business?”

Twilight gulped as she began to answer the stallion, who was clearly a highway robber.

“We have just escaped a powerful demon in that mine, we are badly injured and travel only with enough food for our journey. Please, we have nothing to give to you, leave us in peace.”

The pony threw back his hood to reveal a long, flowing mane of blonde. He had kind eyes and a face full of laugh lines that could even be made out in the faint light of the early morning. His eyes began to spark with mirth and laughter as he spoke, “Well if you have nothing to give us, then I suppose we will have to find some things to give to you!”
Rainbow Dash and Twilight stared in puzzlement as the stallion pulled out two capes with hoods and threw them in a pile over the two ponies in the huddled mass on the ground.

“Something to guard from the bite of the cold! And something to fill our bellies too I think!” The stallion shouted
All of the ponies behind him sprang into action and suddenly there were tables set with food and lots of wooden cups full of something that smelled quite pleasing.

“Come and sit at my table, dine and you will feel better.” The stallion trilled. “We have food and drink a plenty.”
Twilight and Rainbow Dash managed to pull themselves up and sit down at the table. Rainbow took a gulp of the mysterious brown liquid. The pleasant warmth trickled down her throat and then spread to all the extremities of her body. She looked up at Twilight, who was clearly having a similar experience with her drink. Both ponies could feel their strength returning as they drank the delicious, brown liquid.

“What in Equestria is in this drink?” Twilight exclaimed as she flexed her no longer sore muscles.
“That, my little friend, is a special brew of the forest-masters own design. It will cure your aches and pains, and heal your tired bones.”

Dash guessed that the brew was not strong enough to heal the strain she had placed on her wings because they were still hurting.

After Twilight and Rainbow Dash had eaten a large portion of the food on the table and sighed contentedly the mysterious stallion began to talk.

“You earlier said something about a monster, and we have just enjoyed a great feast, now you must tell me the tale of your adventure. The only thing better than a great feast is a great feast followed by a great tale.”

“Hear, Hear!” All of the ponies gathered around shouted in unison.

“But,” spoke up Twilight Sparkle, “aren’t introductions in order first?”

“Of course! My manners escape me today, I am afraid.”

“My name is Robin Hoofs!” The stallion said with great importance. Gesturing to the pony at his right he said, “And this is my merry crew.”

All of the ponies surrounding him erupted into a chorus of applause and “Here, Heres”.

“We are from a far away land where ponies have been oppressed for centuries. Our local mayor was taxing everypony so much that nobody could eat. He was a very cruel mayor and he and his friends used the taxes to satisfy their greed. My band and I began to live in the woods and steal money from these rich people and use it to feed those less fortunate ponies. After Princess Celestia found out what was happening in our land she intervened of course. But we liked the forest too much to go back to our old boring lives, and we had heard about this incredible forest in many of our stories and songs. We decided to journey here and have merry adventures in this “Everfree forest” as I believe you call it. He finished with a laugh and a twinkling wink at the two Ponyville ponies.

“Well I am Rainbow Dash and this is my friend Twilight Sparkle, we are ponies from Ponyville.” Rainbow Dash spoke up for the first time. Twilight looked at her a little confusedly. Usually Rainbow Dash would leave such small talk up to her.
“And now for the storytelling then! What are two little ponies from Ponyville doing fighting monsters in the Everfree forest?”
“Okay, I will tell you the story, but it has to be quick, we are in a big hurry.” Rainbow Dash said, who know full of food, suddenly remembered her quest and initial urgency.

Rainbow Dash began to talk. She began with crashing into Pinkie’s house. Omitting some details, of course, but for some reason she felt it was important to include how much she loved Pinkie Pie, and how that was why she had to come this far. She told the story as far as the spider and then asked Twilight to take over since she was the one actually fighting.
Twilight Sparkle began her account and described the fight in great detail. Midway through her story Twilight dropped her head. She raised it and her eyes were filled with tears. “I knew that the only way I could hope to defeat him was to bring the cave down and then hope that I could not get smashed, and crawl my way out. I could feel his power. He was only toying with me; He could have easily killed me had I not done what I did. Bringing down the cave took a lot more energy than I was expecting though, and I didn’t have enough magic left to protect myself. I was falling, thinking that it was going to be the last moment of my life. When, I was somehow saved.” Twilight ended the story with a quizzical look at Rainbow Dash. She had not thought about it before, but she had no idea how Rainbow Dash had saved her.

“Rainbow! You saved me! But how, your wings were all tied up in bandages?”

“I saw you were in trouble so I cut them off on a rock. It hurt, but you were just falling and I was so scared that you wouldn't be able to dodge all the rocks. I spread my wings out and dive-bombed through the rocks. I could barely fly but the adrenaline kicked in and I did a sonic rainboom somehow. Saving ponies is what I do you know.” She finished with a smirk.

Twilight couldn’t help but think that the only reason she was in danger in the first place was because of Rainbow Dash.
“And all of this for love?” Cried Robin Hoofs affectedly.

“Yep, that’s about it.” Said Rainbow Dash.

“And you are going to the rock farm that is one mile south of here correct?”

“Correct!” Said Twilight.

“We shall personally escort you there! What could be more worthy of our time than the plight of young lovers!?”

Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash walked in front with Robin Hoofs as the other fifty ponies walked behind them singing and playing merrily. Twilight Sparkle smiled in spite of all they have been through. Rainbow Dash had put them in danger, and Twilight had almost died. She had to admit though, maybe Robin was right, maybe the young love was worth it all.
Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash began to notice how the ground was becoming much rockier. Rainbow suspected that they were nearing the outskirts of the farm. Her heart began to beat in her chest and she began to sweat. What if she had misinterpreted Pinkie’s note? What if Pinkie would not accept her love? Rainbow dash pushed the thoughts from her mind as they walked. She couldn’t bear to think about that right now.

Rainbow looked up and saw a windmill and an old farmhouse. She knew that this was Pinkie’s house. Her already fast beating heart began to pound through her chest. Her eyes watered and nostrils flared as she stared through the upstairs window that she somehow knew in her heart belonged to Pinkie.

“And now we bid thee farewell Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle. May many merry adventures come your way.” With that Robin’s band of merry ponies took off down the path back into the forest.

Twilight looked at Rainbow Dash to see what she was thinking. “I’ll wait out here, then I guess?” Twilight asked.
“Yes, I guess that works best.”

Rainbow Dash walked to the door and swallowing a large gulp, knocked on the door.

The door opened with a loud creak on its hinges. The bright doorway framed a stern brown pony wearing a black hat.

“Umm. Good afternoon sir. I was wondering if maybe I could see Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow asked nervously.

Comments ( 12 )

oh wow! awesome chapter!! :pinkiehappy:

Suddenly, Robin Hood reference!
This is just an awesome fic. :pinkiehappy:

798286
Thank you! I am thinking about doing a whole separate fic with Robin Hooves and the mane six. I absolutely love Robin hood! haha

Wow...just wow...can we please have some more? Please?:pinkiehappy:

I am glad to be hearing some positive things on this chapter! The next chapter will probably take even longer because it includes some elements that I am not confident in my writing ability on. Also. no one found the direct quote from a different thing yet? I'm disappointed, someone needs to claim those ten bonus points

Your killing me dude killing me you leave off at parts that just I...... I just don't know what to say other than this WRITE THE NEXT CHAPTER SO I CAN READ IT :pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy::twilightangry2::twilightblush:

LOVE THIS SOOO MUCH!!!:pinkiehappy:

With exams mostly over, I once again have more than enough spare time to read some fics :pinkiehappy:

You are still slowly ironing out structural errors, which is good. Right up until the point they arrived in the cave, I had no real complaints. It was well-structured and paced. In the cave things got a bit out of control again, though, and you seemed to lose your way a little.

That battle with the spider was a bit meh, in my opinion. It came out of absolutely nowhere and the spider's dialogue was rather corny.

I did like the Robin Hood reference, as an idea, but it was incredibly, incredibly awkwardly paced. I mean, you introduce him and two paragraphs later he's out of the story again. Also, it seemed like a bit of a random thing to put into a story like this.

And so we arrive at Pinkie's house. I wonder how you'll write Pinkie's family.

Robin Hooves?! :heart::heart: :pinkiegasp: "AWESOME!"

Some bad news. My hard drive crashed today so it will be a little while before I can update. Probably at least a week

When Rainbow Dash crashes through Pinkie Pie's roof she needs somewhere to stay for a few weeks as she recuperates. (Generic beginning I know) As Rainbow Dash starts to develop new feelings for Pinkie Pie she notices the latter's strange behaviors. When confronted secrets abound and adventures are had by all. Hope y'all like it.
Great Desc. For A Rainbow Pie (Or Pinkie Dash)
Fic Hope You Right More!

Login or register to comment