• Published 15th Jan 2016
  • 283 Views, 12 Comments

Sanguine, the red Bat Pony - Ponyess



Sanguine is a red Bat Pony, but with blue tentacles for mane and tail. She has blue eyes and commonly is seen to wear an optimistic, bright smile; even when the Reaper is breathing down her neck.

  • ...
 12
 283

Prologue is going by Train: 1

Author's Note:

Sanguine's POV

”New passengers towards Ponyville! Prepare your tickets!” a voice came on the speakers along the entire length of the train, a mere minute after the train had started to pick up speed.

“New passenger, on my way to Ponyville; that would be me!” I spoke under my breath, giggling at the common in the situation.

Of course I had a ticket to Ponyvuille, I had bought it and paid for it just before I entered the train. I even had it on hoof; easy to present, when prompted.

“New passengers!” came a voice, just a few seats behind me.

“Time to pick up my ticket, I can’t make her insist!” I pondered.

Just as I hear her steps closing in on the seat behind me; I pull out the ticket, ready to present it as she is beside me. Thankfully, I did not drop my ticket; what an embarrassment it would have been, not that you could have seen me blush; since I am already brighter read, than the fiercest of blushes ever could be.

“Tickets, please!” the mare exclaimed; and I presented mine, which she eyed over and stamped, before she continued on her way along the full length of the train.

I reclaimed the small slip of paper, the ticket that gave me the legal right to follow the train to Ponyville, which is where I had intended to go.

Going by train is not overly exciting, but you get where you had intended to go. They stop at every stop, and just on time.


”Next stop, Ponyville; final stop, Ponyville!” the voice on the speakers announced.

This is my stop and where I leave the train. From what I have heard, this should be quite the adventure!” I pondered quietly.

I lean back, quietly and comfortably; why bother to be the first in line, when they are crowding the gates. I had managed to pick the seat in what was to be the least crowded part of the train, but there is still more commotion and less space than I am comfortable with.

Finally, they are filing out and giving a poor red Bat Pony some space. I always get agitated, when any Pony is touching my tentacles without my expressed permission. You can’t avoid being touched in the crowd on the way off of a train, so I keep to the back and try to relax, where I sit.


Finally, they have managed to file out of my section, clearing a safe path to the door I had intended to use for my exit. With that as my cue, I rise to my hooves and trot slowly towards the intended exit. Now I can permit my blue tentacles to fly freely for the imaginary wind none other than I could feel.

Slipping out the door, just as the engines start to warm up for the return trip. The door is closed behind me and the smoke is starting to puff out at the front.

I never permitted my imaginary wind beyond the strength of a breeze, thus preventing any Pony to see the flat, cyan towards green back of the tentacles which would have been a dead giveaway. In heavy light, the tentacles will glister in a bright electric blue.

Just as I stepped off of the train, my wind died down to next to nothing; making the individual tentacles less conscious to the common Pony. I don’t want to chance my reputation in the village of Ponyville, even before I had set a hoof on the ground or made a few good friends.


To my surprise, I spot a bright pink mare with deep pink and heavily curled up mane at the very edge of the crowd. She is one of these Ponies you just can’t miss.

From what I could see, her ears are perked up stiffly and a jubilant smile is adorning her face and indeed her very form itself. Could this be the one I had been warned about? The one by the name of Pinkie Pie. But of course I couldn’t expect to miss her, from what I had heard, she knows when a new pony is about to step off of the train; she had been knowing of my arrival, even before I had paid the ticket and jumped onto the train in the last moment.

If she knows of me, there was no point in hiding. I could as well chance it on that she had already seen me and was waiting for me to trot out of the crowd. As a bat Pony, there is an easier way; I take to the sky, flapping my wings. As an avian, the air is the shorter patch from one place or Pony to the next.

“Pinkie Pie!” I exclaimed rather quietly, as to not call too much attention to myself.

“Sanguine!” she exclaimed jubilantly, as if she had indeed known me and my name; only to do the impossible, taking of by spinning her equally curled up tail and slowly move towards me.

Of course, this is Pinkie Pie; the Pony who does all manners of things, never mind what you are supposed to be incapable of or what is known to be impossible. Earth types doesn’t fly, even if flight is actually in part aided by our magic.

“Naturally, you just had to spot me and point me out from the other side of the crowd; Pinkie Pie?” I inquired as she was but a tails length away from me.

“Then you are truly new in Ponyville, I have to throw you a Welcome to Ponyville party on the day of your arrival; even if you only stay for a day, while I do hope you will stay longer than that!” she responded with a signature giggle to her voice.

“Oh yeah, I had intended to move into town. Even if we are on the border of the legendary Everfree forest, but the red apples are to die for; or so I have heard!” I responded.

“I could as well escort you to your new home, then? But while I am at it, how about we have a look at the Sweet Apple Acres, where the Apples are farming the apples you just praised so highly!” she prompted.

--- --- ---

Comments ( 12 )

Mehhh you stole my name fer yer bat pony >o<

6838479 how is that? I haven't even seen the story, or the Pony in question.
I merely chose the name as a perfect representation of her.
Not that I am using the second meaning of the word in equal measures here.

On that note, she isn't the regular type of Bat Pony either. the fact she is keeping a deep secret for as long as she is able.

Just curious; here can a Pony read about your bat, or see her if there is only a picture of her?

6838513 lol XD no worries, I am just poking fun. and the name is right under your nose, its the name of my profile what is Seye eniugnas spelled backwards?
the name sanguine is one I have used in a lot of my non pony stories and was planning on using in a future pony story.
It is a beautifuland poetic word that has multiple meanings. It makes for a good name ^_^

6838527 backwards is tending to poke people the wrong way, as it were.
It certainly is a good name, and the Poetic sense to it does lend a bit more joy to it.
Maybe you could permit me to inspire you in your writing, I have more than my share in ideas as it turns out.

If you go over my list of stories, there could be enough ideas to get you going.
I tend to include a new idea with every other story, including this Sanguine Bat Pony.

I found it in a description and poked it in the dictionary.

6838616 lol I have a surplus of inspiration ^_^ but if you like to share then go ahead and share.
Sanguine has only two definitions that I quite enjoy, First and foremost is the color of blood. Then you have a sense of joy or happiness in a bad time. Like the whole world is crumbling around you and you have a smile on your face. ^w^
That is why I like the word sanguine.

6838674 Maybe an idea swap, asking for a few ideas on what to do and how to proceed in situations?

Blood is red, so I guess that tracks there; which is why I named her like that. I like positive characters, such as Pinkie Pie, so the characteristics would go very well with me as well. If there is any important undermeaning of the word I missed? I guess it could help me in a later situation.

I think we have several inter5esting Sanguine words in the book, I found a special joy in the Plush for that reason.

Guess I could imagine Pinkie Pie in the situation, just smiling at the reflection as the world came to an end?

6838994 hrmm pinkie is a good example of the definition of Sanguine, though not the color XD
lol if it will help anyone's inspiration I would be glad to share ideas

6839082 She is just a tad bit pale as the Sanguine you were looking for.
I guess there are more Sanguine Pie stories out there. (even if my stories hardly pick up any of the darker hues, even when her spirit sounds like it)
Otherwise, she is the very picture of the word.

Feel free to look through the collection and suggest what you think would improve or continue the story.
Some of my stories are getting on stuck from time to tome, when I don't just get side-tracked by a new and novel idea for a new story.

6839118 lol will do, I am a tad busy with my elder scrolls crossover but Ill try and give it a shot

6839126 I know the feeling, even if I have no idea as to what the story or the original is about.
(at least, you have Four stories to your name) :twilightsmile:

You may notice that there is very few items I don't touch, although I have problems with a few things like Apple-Talk.

My stories come in all sizes and colours, as it were. Just pick one you think looks promising? :raritystarry:

6839179 I have a full library of stories, for you to enjoy.
If you enjoy the style of my writing, you should be able to find something inspiring to enjoy.

Login or register to comment