• Published 1st Jun 2015
  • 11,381 Views, 1,112 Comments

Four Hooves - destinedjagold



A human was transported to Equestria and transformed into a pony. Unfortunately, he needs to get back home, and Equestria doesn't look the same as in the show.

  • ...
56
 1,112
 11,381

1 - 18

A quiet roar of thunder echoes from the heavens, piercing through the loud whistles of the stormy air, the loud rustling noises of the leaves on the swaying treetops and the many splattering raindrop noises.

“Well,” I hear Twilight say as I finally am able to get a grip on myself. I turn and see her and Reykan staring at the wide opened ‘door’ of her home.

She looks like Twilight from the show. Erm...minus the wings.

Miss Purple then turns back to us—er, to Reykan, her smile faltering a bit. “Uh...” She moves her gaze to me, her smile steadying. “You two should come inside as well!” She looks up and around. “I don’t think this storm’s stopping any time soon, plus,” she looks back at us with a small chuckle, “being outside under a wild storm’s not a good place for a chat.”

She talks like Twilight from the show...

“Meh...” Reykan meh’s. “I’ve been through worse. And I didn’t come here to chat with you, anyway.” He turns his head over his shoulder to look at me. “It’s Jay here who wants to talk with you.”

Twilight nods her head. “I see. But I insist that the two of you to come inside.”

She’s too friendly, too. Just like in the show...

She looks aside, her smile gone. “...The sooner, the better,” she mutters under her breath in a worried tone, making me arch an eyebrow.

“Can’t,” Reykan says adamantly as he looks around. “I’m hungry and I need to hunt something to eat.”

I blink at him. “...But I thought you said that you can’t smell anything with this storm.”

His ears droop. “...I can try and listen to them...?” He sighs in defeat as he turns to Twilight. “...Fiiine... I guess I can come inside and watch you guys do...pony stuff...”

I roll my eyes as Twilight chuckles.

Reykan then turns to fully look at me. “But if I get too hungry, can I eat the swan?”

“N—”

“Hopefully, it won’t come to that,” Twilight interjects with a wince. She then gestures with her head to follow her before she turns around and walks towards her home. “And...Reykan, was it?” Twilight says a bit louder so we can hear her through the loud noises of rustling leaves. “I doubt you can find animals who are out and about in this nasty storm.”

I bite my tongue as I follow the two of them. This is Twilight... She’s the Twilight... I think? Maybe? I’m not sure. I mean...she sounds and looks like Twilight, but...that can’t be right...right? The Equestrians that I’ve talked to had told me that Twilight’s...crazy. But she doesn’t look crazy. She doesn’t act crazy. Although her talking about magic might sound crazy to some...

Twilight walks inside the open door, the darkness eating her up. Reykan follows, and soon, I step inside to...to...uh...

“Oh! Hey there, Twilight!” Seri greets us as I gawk at the interior of Miss Purple’s...home?

Is this place what I think it is? One would expect that the place would be dark and creepy-looking. Heck, while we were approaching the open door, I can’t see anything but darkness inside the dead tree, but now that we’re inside? It looks...looks...

It looks like a brightly-lit library. The library. The Golden Oak Library.

“Why does it smell weird in here?” is the first thing Reykan notices inside the library.

The air smells like old books! And yes, I know what old books smell like. I go to the library at least once a week, because my lazy bro’s too lazy to go there and fetch a book or two that he needs...

Even Sienna looks confused as she darts her curious eyes left and right.

“So... Is this what inside a tree looks like?” Reykan asks as he looks around the many, many items around that I think looks very foreign for him. “It looks...really different from my den... Or maybe pony trees look like this?”

I hear Twilight chuckle as I blink at Reykan. “I thought you live in a tree?”

He turns and blinks at me. “Well...yeah.”

“A tree hollow,” Twilight suddenly says, looking at us. “It’s a hole on a tree that’s naturally formed where animals use to—”

“I get it, I get it,” I say with a frown. Sheesh, even this Twilight tries to explain everything...like in the show... I blink and realize that we’re no longer outside under the storm. I look down and stare at the small puddle of water around my four hooves, my wet fur dropping droplets of water on it. I trail my eyes forward, noticing a few trails of water that are leading to the other creatures inside the library. I smile an awkward smile at Miss Purple. “Eh...heheh... Uh, um... Sorry for uh, wetting your floor?” Shut up, brain.

She blinks at me...and nods. “Well, anyway, hold still, everypony,” she says as she turns around and walks to the center of the room, her horn glowing with bright purple magic.

“Everybody,” Seri...corrects her? The swan chuckles. “There are only two ponies in this tree, Twilight.”

Twilight rolls her eyes as she turns to face Reykan and me. She quickly tilts her head down, aiming her glowing horn at the both of us and immediately fires a purple beam of magic at—

“Gah—!”

“Aaah—!”

—our shrieking selves! I flinch, close my eyes and bring a hoof in front of me to shield myself from the beam of magic, but after a few seconds of nothing but feeling warm and hearing swan giggles, I slowly open my eyes to see a reddish bubble field surrounding me and Rey. I look back at Twilight, who is giving me a sheepish smile. Behind her, Seri is giggling while Sienna is sighing in relief.

“A little warning next time, princess?” I say in an angry tone as I glare at Twilight.

“I’m sorry,” she quietly says as the air around me is getting warmer. “I got used to cast spells witho—” she cuts herself off, blinking at me. “...‘Princess?’”

“Jay, look!” Reykan suddenly says, stealing my attention. He smiles at me before turning his attention at the red bubble wall around us. He then pokes a paw on it, his paw passing through. His smile widens. “We can get out of this magic trap thing!”

“It’s not a trap,” Twilight frowns at him. “It’s a quick-drying spell, a special kind of magic that creates a small field—a bubble—and turns the air warm within that field.”

Reykan blinks at her. He then gives me a confused look. “Uh... I didn’t understand what she just said.”

Seri giggles.

Yesh... Listening to Twilight talk about magic is pretty cool. In the show, at least. But in real time? It kinda sounds weird and out of place, especially in this version of Equestri—wait... Why is she talking about magic like she’s the Twilight from the show? Why does she even talk and look just like in the show?! Could she be really—?

I snap back to reality to see Twilight encasing herself, Seri and Sienna in a reddish bubble to dry themselves off.

“Seri?” Twilight says as the bubble field around me and Rey starts to fade. “Did I just see things earlier or are your wounds have already disappeared?”

As soon as the red bubble field around me and Rey disappears, the warm air disappears and makes way for the cool and book-smelling air as I feel...nice for being a dry pony again.

“Oh, that?” the swan blinks and then smiles as she turns to look at our deer companion. “Sienna here was kind enough to heal my wounds with her green glowy magic!”

Reykan shakes his body, sits down and starts licking a paw.

“Really?” Twilight turns to Sienna and gives her a warm smile. “That’s really kind of you, uh, Sienna, was it?” She receives a small nod from the deer. “Thank you for healing my assistant. I—We really appreciate it.”

“Um,” Sienna fidgets from where she stands. “I-it’s no trou—”

“We mean it!” Seri suddenly chirps cheerfully, nuzzling the deer’s cheek. “We appreciate you helping me, Sienna!”

“At least I’m not the one being nuzzled,” Reykan mutters before he stands up and walks away from me.

“Uh...” Sienna awkwardly accepts the nuzzle as she darts her confused eyes at me.

I give her a shrug.

“Bleahk...” I hear Reykan bleahk.

I turn my head towards his voice and see him reeling away from the many books on the lower shelf of the closest bookshelves.

“What are these...things?” he asks, eyeing the neatly-arranged books suspiciously. “They smell like...like...”

“Old books?” I offer.

“Yeah!” A pause. He blinks. He turns and gives me a confused look. “What’s a books? I know what ‘old’ means, but I don’t know what ‘books’ are.”

“Exactly,” Twilight suddenly says, catching both our attentions. The red bubble around the trio is already gone and Miss Purple is giving me a suspicious look for some odd reason. “No one, and I mean no one, in this world knows what books are.” She blinks. “...Except for me, of course.”

“And me!” Seri chirps, raising a white, feathery wing up. “Because Twilight taught me what books are!” She blinks. “Well, when she’s not having one of her episodes.”

Twilight winces at that. She nevertheless shakes her head and opens her mouth to—

A sweet and delicious aroma suddenly attacks our nostrils, making the swan jerk her head towards the large entryway on the wall which I assume leads to the kitchen. “Whoops! Food’s almost ready!” she says in a cheerful tone as she waddles toward the kitchen.

“Deer god...” Sienna has her nose up in the air, sniffing the aroma with eyes closed and lips curved. “What a delicious smell...!”

Even Reykan’s raising his nose up in the air, sniffing the aroma. And then his stomach makes itself known to us. “I don’t know what that smell is, but it smells better than fresh rabbit meat!”

I hear my stomach growl and feel my mouth water. I smile an awkward smile before turning to the frowning unicorn, making my ears and smile droop.

“...Normally, you should be raising your nose up and smelling that scent, too,” she says. “...like what your two companions are doing.”

“I’m...” I arch an eyebrow. “...sorry?”

She takes a step towards me, suspicion in her eyes. “First, you called me ‘princess.’”

My arched eyebrow arches even more. “...Is something wrong with calling you that?”

“Yes,” she replies quietly, almost growling. “Because the ponies and others I’ve met before you have called me crazy, and other hurtful titles.”

“Is ‘princess’ a hurtful title?” Sienna suddenly asks, tilting her head to the side as she curiously eyes Twilight.

The unicorn blinks and turns to look at her. “Uh... Well... No. Not really...”

She smiles at her. “Well, I’ve thought so.” She eyes me, and I roll my eyes. “Because I doubt somepony who wants to court you would ever say something bad in front of you.”

Reykan shudders in disgust.

Twilight blinks at her. “What...do you mean?”

“Potatoes are still a bit hard!” Seri calls from inside the kitchen. “It’ll probably take a little while for them to be ready!”

“Take your time!” Twilight shouts back, still staring at the grinning deer.

“This delicious smell is from potatoes?” Reykan asks in astonishment.

Seri pokes her head out from the kitchen entryway to smile at our panther companion. “And carrots!” And she pulls her head back.

“...Back to the matter at hoof. Er, the other matter, I mean.” Twilight shakes her head. “What do you mean, somepony who wants to court me would never—” aaand her egghead of a head finally figures out what Sienna meant. She quickly snaps her head back to face me, looking surprised. “You—you want to—?”

“No,” I say firmly as I throw a glare at Sienna. “I am not here to court Twilight or to ask her to be my freaking mate, for Pete’s sake, Sienna! I’ve told you this a few times already.”

Seri’s white head pokes out from the kitchen entryway again to blink at us. “...Maybe Jay wants Sienna to be his mate?”

“What?!” both deer and stallion shout as the two turn to her. And oh, that stallion is me.

“No?” Seri blinks at the two of us. “Then who is Jay courting? Is it Re—”

“Don’t you freaking finish that sentence,” I tell her with a glare. “Or you’ll be a roast duck by the time you get out of that freaking kitchen.”

She blinks at me. “Uh... I’ll pretend that’s something scary that’ll happen to me, so... Eep!” and she quickly pulls her head out of view.

An awkward silence hangs in the library’s...living room? Main room? Book room? Whatever.

Twilight lets out a sigh as she rubs her head with a hoof. “Let’s take a few hooves back, shall we?” She looks at me, eyes not-so-suspicious anymore. “Even if you didn’t say ‘princess’ to court...uh...me,” she blushes slightly. She shakes her head to get rid of that foreign color off of her face. “...I doubt that anypony...anyone in this world knows what that word means. I doubt anyone even knows that such a word exist!” She furrows her brows. “So how come you know that word? And books? And why weren’t you sniffing the air? And roast duck? Kitchen?” She shakes her head and glares at me afterwards. “It sounds like you’re...”

When I was following Twilight and Reykan towards the library door, I pictured it in my head that it was me who will be doing all the questioning to Twilight, and not the other way around...

“You’re not Equestrian...” Twilight says firmly. “You’re not this Equestria’s version of Equestrian.” She takes a step towards me, making me take a step back. “So I’m going to ask you something and I hope you’ll give me a straight answer.” Her horn glows bright, and I hear the door slam shut behind me, making me jump. Horn magic disappearing, she glares and glares at me as tears start to form on her eyes. “Pl-please...” she says, pausing after choking on a sob. Her angry features are gone, and is now replaced by worry, fear, confusion and uncertainty. “...tell me... W-what happened?” A tear or two runs down her face as she sits down a hoof or two or three from me. She hangs her head, sniffing, crying. “I...I don’t understand what’s going on. I don’t know what happened!” She raises her head up, tearfully looking at me. “There was a bright light! And...a-and suddenly...I found. I f-found—”

“Food’s ready!” Seri suddenly chirps as she emerges from the kitchen, carrying a large, metallic and steaming cooking pot with her two large wings wearing green-colored gloves. She wobbles her way to the large reading table beside the seated unicorn and places the pot down on the center. She smiles warmly at us before she turns around and wobbles back to the kitchen. “Now, just hold your appetite for a few as I go and grab us some bowls! And a spoon for Twilight! I doubt any of you knows what a spoon is!” She chuckles at her own joke as she disappears behind the kitchen walls.

Silence...

“I’m baaack~!” Seri emerges from the kitchen again, balancing five bowls, each with different colors and with different patterns. She wobbles to the table and places the bowls around.

A blue bowl with a rainbow thunderbolt symbol... A yellow bowl with a pink butterfly symbol... An orange bowl with a red apple symbol... A pink bowl with blue and yellow balloons symbol... And a white bowl with blue diamond-shaped gem symbol...

I blink at the ‘dining table.’ “Uh... You forgot the spoon?”

“Oh!” Seri quickly wobbles back to the kitchen, and quickly returns with a spoon on her beak. “I forgot to wash you favorite purple bowl, Twilight,” Seri smiles sheepishly at the unicorn as she places the spoon on the table by the white bowl. “And I uh, forgot to wash the green bowl, too... I hope you don’t mind using one of these.”

“It’s...” Twilight quietly says as she wipes her eyes with a hoof. “Ahem... It’s...quite all right, Seri.” She smiles a fragile smile. “T-thank you...”

Seri smiles wide. “Oh, don’t mention it, Twilight!” She turns to face the table, her eyes sparkling as she stares at the steaming hot soup thing inside the pot. She shakes her head out of trance and turns to smile at me. “Maybe you ponies can continue talking while we eat?” She turns her smile to Twilight. “You still have lots of time to be normal, right?”

I...arch an eyebrow. What?

“Can we just forget about talking and just do some eating?” Reykan asks, preparing to jump on the table.

“Nah ah ah ah!” Seri leans her long neck towards him, bites his tail and yanks him back just as Rey kicks his hind legs on the wooden floor.

“What the—oof! H-hey!” He turns his head over his shoulder and glares at the white swan.

“No walking or standing or lying or sleeping on the table!” Seri says after releasing Rey’s tail. “Twilight’s rules. Not mine.”

Reykan quickly stands up on his four paws, turns around and growls at Seri.

“No!” the swan cries. “Bad panther! Bad! Behave yourself!”

I’m waiting for Reykan to angrily ask what a table is...

Seri eyes me and whispers: “Little help?

I roll my eyes. “Rey, calm down.”

“But Jay!” he whines as he turns to me. “I’m so, so hungry! And I don’t think I can keep my promise not to eat this giant bird if I won’t eat something soon!”

I blink at him. Since when did Reykan promised me to—

“All right,” Twilight suddenly says, who isn’t a crying wreck anymore. “Settle down, every...body. Choose a bowl.”

“What’s a bowl?” I almost forgot that Sienna is with us. She takes a few steps toward the table, eyeing the steaming pot.

Seri turns and smiles at her. “It’s one of those smaller pot-looking things.”

“...What’s a pot?” Reykan asks.

Twilight and I groan.

Author's Note:

Damn... Is “Twilight's the real Twilight from the show” really that obvious? :fluttershysad: A lot of you have seen this from miles away! I can't believe this sort of plot twist is predictable! I'll better think of some other ways to make plot twists not so obvious. Hm... :trixieshiftleft: