• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,557 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,557

PreviousChapters Next
51 - Making the Best of the Situation

Sam sat there, looking uncomfortable, but perhaps a little better than last time? Lyra hoped so. She smiled a little bit and pointed to a bowl of candies. "Want one?"

Sam grabbed one quite well and popped it in his mouth. Lyra tilted her head. "Have you been practicing your hoofwork?"

Sam perked his ears. "Does it show?" She nodded. He looked proud. "If I'm going to have hooves, I'm going to be good at them."

Lyra smiled brightly. "You did amazingly well! I wouldn't expect anypony to get that much better so quickly. Do it again, please."

Sam looked hesitant a moment before reaching out and plucking up a candy, magnetically held to what appeared to be a flat hoof. He passed it from hoof to hoof, then let the little chocolate ball roll around on his hooves before stopping it. He seemed to have full control over the friction between the candy and his hooves, able to crank it up high enough to arrest it or make it slip around as if it was on grease. "Once I started getting the hang of it, it wasn't so hard."

Lyra tapped a hoof on the arm of her chair. "You stop belittling yourself this instant! The others who are happy about themselves, like Stone, can't control their hooves that good. You've done something very special, and you should be proud."

Sam waved a hoof dismissively, the candy sticking to it despite the movement. "You're jerking my tail."

Lyra giggled a little. "Who taught you that one? And no, I'm not. I'm completely serious. Here." She pulled out a letter opener and set it down with her magic. "Can you hold that?"

Sam set the candy down and picked up the sharp blade easily, first by its broad end, then he grabbed it by the edge, balancing perfectly on his hoof.

Lyra clopped her hooves together excitedly. "There are adults that can't do that! You have a real talent!"

He looked over his shoulder, then slipped from the couch to more easily view his flank. There it was, the same letter opener, looking like it was balanced delicately. "Shit. I would have grabbed something more impressive if I knew that was going to happen."

Lyra hopped to the floor, a grin splitting her face as she giddily circled around Sam. "It looks great! I'm so happy for you! How do you feel?"

Sam shrugged, the knife still glued to his hoof. "I have no idea what job this implies. I mean, it's a cool trick and all, but how do you base a life around it?" He put the letter opener down by holding his hoof over the table and letting it free of the invisible grip of his hoof, letting it fall with a thunk.

Lyra poked him in the side. "Earth ponies can have stronger hoof magic, and you're one of those. You should practice it. I've heard of some earth ponies that get the control fine enough that they can do things some ponies thought only unicorns could manage, without the overt magic involved." She tapped her horn. "Which is important, because unicorn magic is great, but limited. Hoof magic takes a lot less effort. You could do it all day long if you needed to, and you can lift anything your body can support."

Sam put his hoof to the leg of the table and lifted the entire table without effort, just epoxied to his hoof by the subtle magic of earth ponies. The sharp letter opener started to slide towards Sam and Lyra grabbed for it with her magic, only to see it already stopped. "How did you do that?"

Sam put the table down carefully. "I didn't want to be stabbed, so I did the same thing I do with my hoof with the table."

Lyra reared up into a seated position and thrust her forehooves into the air. "You are full of amazing magic! You don't even understand how special this is."

Sam smiled a little, perhaps becoming a little closer to understanding his talent. "Is that really that unusual?"

Lyra bobbed her head quickly. "Yes! By Celestia, yes. You are a very special pony." She tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Pick me up."

Sam looked perplexed a moment before hoof-bumping her chest. She felt a soft tingle, then he lifted her up by her front. Despite him only touching the fur of her chest, she felt entirely supported. She began to giggle with amazement and a little giddy excitement. "Ok, now can you open my bags?"

She looked back to see her saddlebags jerked and jumped a bit before he apparently figured it out, and a flap jumped open. "That's it! Last test, can you grab something out of it without putting me down?"

He tried, and got a hold of a quill, but as it began to slide out, he lost his grip on so many different things at once, and Lyra tumbled to the ground in a heap. She wasn't hurt, and even laughed in amazement. "That was amazing! You're a natural at hoof magic! I can barely hold one thing at a time, and I have to be thinking about it. I bet you could do as many as you want with some practice."

Sam rubbed behind his head nervously. "I'm... still not sure what I can do with that, but it is pretty cool. I'll, uh, practice, I guess?"

Lyra nodded her head. "I recommend that, and show it off to other ponies. They'll be amazed, I promise."

Sam smiled a little. "Well I'm amazed, that's one down right? Thanks Lyra." He turned to go, but not without poking the candy bowl with his hoof. He stared at the bowl and got some of the yellow candies to line up and roll up onto his hoof before he let go of the bowl. With a triumphant grin, he popped them into his mouth.

Lyra watched him go and hopped up into her chair, making a few notes. She was so proud of her friends.

Author's Note:

Sam discovers he has a neat skill! He won't be taking over the world with it, but it's kind of cool, unlike typos.

PreviousChapters Next