• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
47 - Did You Get My Tweet?

Lyra was peacefully taking notes at her desk when a soft knocking came from her door. "Come in!" She turned to face the guest as Darrell nudged his way inside.

"Hi Lyra. I had a question for you that I couldn't sit on. Is it OK to ask now?"

Lyra looked over his concerned face and nodded. "Of course. So long as I'm in my office, I'm ready to go." She turned completely to face him. "Now what's on your mind?"

Darrell nudged the door shut behind himself with a little kick before hopping up onto the sofa and settling. "I want to know, straight up, do you think I'm a bad pony for thinking of myself as a man?"

Lyra tilted her head a little. "Bad pony? Of course not. You're kind and gentle, and all-around good. You aren't a 'man' though, or a stallion, at least physically." She reached up and tapped her head. "Maybe up here, but that's not a crime last I checked."

Darrell squirmed a little. "I got the idea you really wanted me to put that aside, and accept being a mare."

Lyra lifted her shoulders. "I thought it would make you happier, but I'm not blind. You look pretty happy whenever you let yourself be. Steven seems to really make you happy. Are you happy with him?"

Darrell hung her head. "He does, but that just gets more confusing. I wasn't, you know, gay, before."

Lyra shook her head slowly. "You're over-thinking this. It's not about 'gay' or other titles, it's about what you like, and how you feel. If you're both enjoying this relationship, everypony else can just buck off. Not that I think most of the ponies in this town will say much other than smile. They're a nice bunch around here."

Darrell shuffled a little in place. "But, I don't know. We're not even all the way like that? I mean... he doesn't seem to care what parts I have or don't have, and if I let him..."

Lyra rolled a hoof. "He'll take you as a mare."

Darrell shuddered powerfully. "I don't know if I'm ready for that, but I think he really wants it."

Lyra pointed at Darrell. "I think he really wants you. Take charge, set the limits, and trust in him to obey them. If he can't, then he's not worth hanging around, and you let him go. On the other hoof, maybe he'll surprise you, and you'll really enjoy yourself, and him, and you're just missing out."

Darrell squirmed a moment, sinking to the couch entirely. "Am I being a coward for not trying it?"

Lyra stopped herself from blurting the instinctive response. She'd been around the block. One does not become a talented transmuter without trying a gender swap on oneself at least once somewhere along the way. Sure, Bon Bon said never again afterward, but Lyra had enjoyed the moment. She softly coughed into a hoof. "I will say that, at least with Steven, I trust that he would treat you with kindness and dignity, and would do everything in his power to make your time pleasant. If you want to give him that chance, I can't see him not doing his best, and if you don't like it, at least you'll know for sure, instead of wondering about it like you are right now."

Darrell nodded slowly before he sat up. "I've found a hobby."

Lyra smiled broadly. "Oh really? Please, do tell."

Darrell went quiet a moment before slipping to her hooves and approaching a window. She pushed it open and pointed out at something.

Lyra joined her and leaned out to see. She was pointing at a bird that was tweeting away musically. "You like to watch birds?"

Darrell nodded. "I've started a journal of them, and Steven takes pictures of the particularly rare ones I find. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel like they understand me a little. Watch." She leaned out the window and waved at the red robin. "Hey, come meet my friend!"

The bird flew up to Darrell and landed on her nose. It tilted its head at her, then hopped, turned mid-air to face Lyra and looked at her.

Lyra's expression brightened. "That's fantastic! It's like Fluttershy. Can you talk with any other animal?"

Darrell shook her head carefully, lest she disturbed the bird. "Just birds. He says hello."

Lyra waved a hoof lightly. "Hello there. Oh that's quite a gift!"

"Is it really?" Darrell trembled as her flank was suddenly adorned with a mark as she realized it was a special talent. "What happened?" She turned sharply to look at it, and the robin flew off.

Lyra pointed at the cutie mark of the same robin. "That is your cutie mark. Your special skill is talking to birds. That's a very earth-pony kind of talent. I'm so proud, and amazed. How do you feel?"

Darrell smiled a little. "Well that's... kind of cool, but how do you make a living talking to birds?"

Lyra tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Well you could help ponies with their pets. The princess has a phoenix, did you know that? I bet she'd pay a few bits for somepony to play translator and to make sure she was being properly cared for, and she's hardly the only one. I've seen Fluttershy organize them into songs, uh, they could deliver messages too, or you can keep birds away from things ponies don't want them around, like crops. There are tons of options."

Darrell started to look more encouraged. "Yeah, I could do that... In fact, I have another idea. I need to talk to Steven." She turned for the door and trotted up to it before looking over her shoulder at Lyra. "Thanks, Doc!"

Lyra smiled gently. "I'm not a doctor, just a friend, and I'm glad to be that. You go on and have a great day. My door's always open."

Darrell bobbed her head. "Well thank you for being a friend then. I have someon—pony to talk to." She slipped out and shut the door behind herself.

Author's Note:

Wrote it while the site was down, typos intact for your pleasure!

PreviousChapters Next