• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,557 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,557

PreviousChapters Next
57 - To Tie Our Fates

Lyra arrived at home and found Bon Bon preparing an arrangement of candies shaped like flowers. She smiled a little nervously. "Oh, hey hon. So..."

Bon Bon cut her off with a soft snort. "You're avoiding something, out with it."

Lyra shook her head. "I didn't do anything wrong, promise, but... I heard the bugbear got out again."

Bon Bon's grip on her confection became tight enough to shatter the sweet dessert. "What?! No no no. I have to go." She turned away from what she had been working on and fled into the back, and Lyra chased her.

"Not again! You're not leaving me." Lyra stomped the ground. "I'm going with you."

Bon Bon looked to Lyra, a sad little smile on her face. "You don't want that, and I don't want it for you."

Lyra rushed her, pressing in close. "I'll put up with anything if it keeps you at my side. We're best friends, remember. Best friends don't let each other just... go."

Bon Bon sank a little. "Lyra... This will be extremely dangerous. Hiding's not working. I'll have to fight."

Lyra grunted in annoyance. "Then I'm definitely not letting you go! Not alone! That's not how our friendship will work. I'll fight with you if I have to. I'll punch that bugbear right in the snout! I'll turn it into an orange! He's not taking you away from me... Not again..." Painful tears began to fall from her eyes as she gazed at Bon Bon. "Don't leave me behind."

Bon Bon took a slow breath before sagging in place. "You know transmutation magic, right?"

Lyra perked up. "Sure do! One of my patients even got me this, wait a moment." She hurried off and returned with the focusing crystal, showing it to Bon Bon by hovering it in front of her friend's face. "I can make you as big as the bugbear and keep you that large with this."

Bon Bon whistled appreciatively as she looked it over. "This must have put them back a pretty bit or three. They really love you, Lyra. If we go, we may not be able to come back for them. Are you sure you can handle that?"

Lyra clenched her teeth, glancing over her shoulder at the door she had come in through not long before. "I... Yes... Yes. I love them too, but they've grown since I started helping them. Lucy will keep them in order, and Sunny will be there to bring a smile. Even Sam will help them. He's fallen so deep, he'll understand the ones that know nothing but pain. They're... they're really an amazing group of ponies. They'll... get on without me, but I won't get on without you. I won't give up my best friend." She leaned in and rubbed the tip of her nose against Bon Bon. "And my future wife."

Bon Bon gave a slow nod and pulled her briefcase full of spy supplies out. "If you're sure. Absolutely sure... Please don't follow me, Lyra. I want you to be safe."

Lyra shook her head quickly. "I won't be! I won't be safe knowing you're out there, fighting, maybe dying, and I'm just sitting there, too scared to go with you. I'll... come back with you, or maybe not at all..."

Bon Bon's face hardened at the thought of Lyra's mortality, looking away. "I don't even want to think about that, Lyra. I joined the ranks to keep ponies like you safe. So you could all live long, happy... wonderful lives." Her eyes filled with tears as she stomped the ground. "Why can't you just accept what I'm working so hard to give you?"

Lyra advanced and threw a leg over Bon Bon, pulling her closer. "Because we're stupid little ponies, and we'll do anything for our best friends. You're one to talk about taking what's given. I'm giving you me. Until death do us part. I won't let you fight alone, not again."

Bon Bon clenched her teeth. "First rule of being an agent, don't die for your country, let somepony else do that." She turned to look at Lyra directly, staring her in the eyes. "Second rule of being an agent, you're not a soldier. Use your head, use your heart, use your guts. Third rule of being an agent..."

Lyra could barely hear Bon Bon over her muted sniffles and her the tears she tried to fight back but kept spilling anyway. When she noticed a pause in Bon Bon's talking, she listened to her heart and pushed forward into a fierce kiss. Bon Bon's eyes went wide before she melted into it, and the two came together in a moment of intense passion only matched by the fear and grief tugging at their hearts.

They parted from one another as Bon Bon took a shuddering breath. "Get your things together. We leave Ponyville tonight. If things go well, we'll be back soon, or we may never. Plan for both, and be ready in ten minutes. Lyra."

Lyra looked up. "What?"

Bon Bon smiled a bittersweet smile. "You are one stupid little pony. I'm glad you're mine."

Author's Note:

THE END. No more typos for you.

I feel I've dragged this on just long enough, and the right endpoint was found and I jumped on it. Did it feel good? Let me know. Hate that I stopped this here? Let me know. I like hearing from you all, even if I don't respond to everyone.

PreviousChapters Next