• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,557 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,557

PreviousChapters Next
28 - Rescue from the Uncanny Valley

Sam had had just about all the creepiness he could handle for one day. He made a pitstop by the food court and grabbed a burger and fries without any difficulty. He sat down to enjoy his meal when a girl with pink skin sat down across from him. "Hiya! You look lonely and kinda sad and I don't recognize you. Are you new in town? My name's Pinkie Pie!"

Sam had encountered Pinkie Pie as a pony, and this human looked just like her, just... human. Also sounded like her, and acted like her. "Aren't I a little old for you?"

Pinkie tilted her head. "You're never too old to be a friend! Gosh, that's a crazy idea. I'd hate to be so old I stopped making friends." She waved a hand dismissively. "Don't worry, you're not that old yet, 'cause I'm right here and ready to be your friend. So what's your name?"

"My name is 'I'm Hungry so Leave me Alone'."

Pinkie Pie scowled in a perplexed way. "There's no way that can be your name. I know, you look kinda like a... Long Shot? Or a Gus! No wait, Sam! Definately Sam."

Sam shuddered. Was he wearing a name tag or something? How did these brightly colored people guess his name so easily? "Look, Pinkie? I'm just trying to relax. Leave me alone."

Pinkie shook her head. "No can do! I turn frowns upside down. It's what I do! Say, have you tried the triple-rainbow icecream blast? It's super amazing! I'll go get you a bowl." she hopped to her feet and skipped towards the counters.

Sam accepted this as a hint to get out of dodge, and scrambled to his feet, hurrying away from the food court. At least he had the sense to take his food with him. The hamburger wasn't bad at all, whatever else in the world was messed up.


Lyra arrived at the Ponyville terminal and stepped off the train, walking into the town with a soft sigh. She oriented herself for the once-human house, deciding venturing to the almost-human world would be a lot easier with somepony at her side that knew the lay of the land. A soft knocking produced little Lucy, who smiled up at her before it turned to a concerned frown.

"You look upset. What's wrong?"

Lyra felt her mouth tug into a smile. "You're getting better at spotting that kind of thing. I'm visiting the almost-human world, where Sam is. We need to get him back, just for a little while. We'll let him go afterwards, if that's what he wants, but the Princesses really need to talk to him."

Lucy's ears went erect as she sat on her haunches. "Do you promise? It's bad enough when we have to be here, forcing him to be here isn't something I'd want to be part of."

Lyra set a hoof over her chest. "Promise. I'll even do one of those crazy Pinkie Pie Promises if you want?"

Lucy tilted her head. "What? Nevermind. I don't need a fancy promise. The regular kind's fine by me. From what people, uh, ponies, have said about that place, I'll be a little girl there."

Lyra nodded. "Will that be a problem?"

Lucy tapped her chin. "Not if you pretend you're either my mother or my older sister."

Lyra reached for Lucy, pulling her close. "I always wanted a little sister."

Lucy burst into giggles and squirmed away. "Alright then. When do we go?"

Lyra glanced up at the afternoon sky. "Now is as fine as any time? I really want to get this over with. I can't do much else with it floating over my head."

Lucy nodded. "Give me a moment. I'll tell the others I'll be with you for a while." She slipped into the house and closed the door, only to return a few minutes later. "Let's go find Sam."

They soon arrived at Twilight's castle. Twilight was ready for them, guiding them downstairs towards the machine that could get them to Canterlot High. "Celestia sent word that you'd need to travel soon. You're a brave pony, but who's this little filly?" she looked down at Lucy curiously.

Lucy wrinkled her smooth snout lightly. "We've met before, Twilight."

Twilight nodded lightly. "We have, but why are you here? This is a potentially dangerous mission to an alien world."

Lucy pointed at herself. "An alien world that works a lot like the one I came from. This!" She tapped the ground beneath herself. "This world is more alien. And stop looking at me like I'm a filly. You should know better."

Lyra smiled a little. "Well you really are a filly, even if you have more years in you than you should. Thank you again, Lucy, for acting as a guide for me."

Lucy smiled at Lyra, about to say she's welcome when Twilight butted in, "Woah there! You're taking a filly with you? As a guide?"

Lyra frowned a little at Twilight. "I know you're... a princess now, but really, Twilight. You know both of us. She's crazy smart, and she has the mind of an adult."

Twilight looked displeased, snorting as she looked over the both of them. "Smart or not, my parents wouldn't let me do this when I was her age."

Lucy moved beside Lyra and pressed against her lower legs. "Good thing my guardian says it's alright."

Twilight blinked in shock, tilting her head. "What? I mean... I didn't know... I guess if Lyra's your guardian and she says it's alright..." She stiffly walked away with a confused expression.

As soon as she was out of hearing range, Lyra looked down at Lucy. "Since when was I your guardian?"

Lucy shrugged. "Since we wanted Twilight to stop overthinking this and send us on our way?"

Lyra chuckled softly. "Clever... but she's not going to forget that."

Lucy tilted her head up at Lyra. "So make it real? You're already my guardian in almost every way but title anyway. I don't really need a 'parent', but a guardian I could probably live with, especially you, since you understand my situation. If I had Twilight for a foster parent, I might die."

Lyra giggled a little at that. "Don't be mean. Twilight's a perfectly nice unicorn." She reached for Lucy, gently hugging her. "It would be an honor. Uh, wait, does this mean you want to move in?"

Lucy shook her head. "I'm fine in the once-human house for now. I think I'm making great progress with some of them... Maybe after they're gone, if Sweetie Drops wouldn't mind me?"

Lyra bobbed her head. "I'll ask her."

Twilight returned with a smile, her composure restored. "I'm ready when you two are. Just step through when it lights up and try to be back before a day passes."

Author's Note:

Twilight gets surprised, and so does Lyra... and so does Sam. The only thing not surprising in this chapter are the typos.

PreviousChapters Next