• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
33 - Spike at Your Service

Lyra and Bon Bon entered the crystal castle, looking around curiously for its owner. A faint noise brought Lyra's attention to a closet. She pulled open the door with her magic and Spike fell out, tied up but otherwise unharmed. Lyra soon had him free after she recovered from the surprise of him flopping out. "You alright, Spike?"

Spike scrambled to his feet. "Yeah, thanks. There I was just cleaning up like usual and bam! I'm in a closet."

Bon Bon approached Spike with wide eyes. "Are you a for-real dragon?"

Spike blinked slowly. "We've met before, Sweetie Drops."

Lyra sighed softly. "Spike, meet human-Sweetie."

Spike frowned confusedly before it clicked. "No way?! Twilight's gonna freak out when she hears this!"

Bon Bon circled around Spike curiously. "She doesn't have to know. It can be our secret."

Spike rolled a claw. "Yeah yeah, I know that tone of voice. What are you looking for?"

Lyra smiled with some uncertainty. "Do you know how Twilight's portal machine works? We need to get Bon Bon here back to her home, and we have some ponies trapped on the other side. If you can help us, you'll be their hero, Spike."

Spike struck a hopefully heroic pose. "You can count on me!" He dashed for the stairs and the two ponies followed after him, descending down into the lab. "Uh oh..." Spike moved over to the broken machine and started poking and prodding around. "Looks like the ruby wore out. Good thing I know Rarity has a few extra! Be back in a bit." And off he went to visit his favorite would-be marefriend.

Bon Bon smiled. "See, easy. You need to calm down, Lyra. Both of you are so high-strung sometimes." She reached out a hoof. "This is still freaky. How come I don't have wings or a horn? Oh, or both!"


Lucy knew Apple Bloom back in Ponyville, though the two had never become very good friends. The girl was a bit hyper, and had a clique already, and Lucy had a cutie mark already. "Uh, hey there Bloom." Mistake one.

Apple Bloom blinked at Lucy. "How'd ya guess mah name like that?"

Sam snorted softly. "People in this town do it to me all the time, why are you so surprised?"

Apple Bloom looked up at Sam, then back at Lucy. "Oh yeah... Sorry, ah commute in from tha country." She thrust out a hand. "What's yer name?"

Lucy accepted the hand, trying to give a light shake, but Bloom had a firm grip and a powerful shake, leaving her rattled. "Uh... Lucy, nice to meet... you?"

Apple Bloom looked up at Sam again and offered him a hand next. "And yer name is?"

Sam smiled. "It's a little thing, but having someone ask my name instead of knowing it automatically is amazing. My name's Sam, nice to meet you, kid." He accepted her hand and they shook. "So, what's up?"

Apple Bloom shook her head. "Jus' figured ah'd say hi to tha new folk. See you in school later?" She looked at Lucy as she said that.

Lucy rubbed behind her head. "Uh, maybe. Mom's still working on, you know, registration and stuff."

Apple Bloom waved a hand dismissively. "Ya just let the grownups worry about that. We don't need nothing fancy ta get ta class. Ah'll show ya around!" She grabbed for Lucy's hand and began pulling her towards the highschool.

"Aren't I young for high school?!" complained Lucy as she was tugged along.

"Shucks no, they put together tha junior high and high school together a long time ago," explained Apple Bloom as Sam just trailed behind, following quietly.

Lucy tried to object, but Apple Bloom was far too invested in pointing out parts of the school and describing them. "That's really nice. What a lovely trophy case you have, but I'm supposed to meet someone out front."

Apple Bloom grinned. "We could wait for them together if ya want."

Sam raised a brow. "Don't you have something to be doing?"

Apple Bloom shrugged. "Not really. Mah friends got tha sniffles and didn't come in today. Ah ain't botherin' ya, am I?"

Lucy winced internally. She didn't want to be rude to the girl. She hadn't really done anything wrong per se, besides being friendly. "No! No, I'm just worried I'll miss them is all. They're a little... shy, and I don't want to run into them with too many strange faces."

Sam made a gentle shooing motion. "Yeah, thanks for the tour, but we aren't going to school today." Under his breath he added, "Or ever..."

Apple Bloom nodded a little. "Well, if yer sure?" The bell suddenly rung. "Well shoot! Ah gotta go anyway. Have fun!" She waved as she ran off to class, leaving Sam and Lucy to relative peace.

Lucy quickly moved for the exit. "Nice girl, but a little too grabby for my tastes."

Sam followed along with a raised brow. "I forgot, how old were you before you got reset to a kid?"

Lucy looked over her shoulder as she walked. "Old enough for my student loans to be a distant memory."

Sam gave a soft 'huh' as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "You're handling it pretty well."

Lucy shrugged. "I was given over thirty bonus years of life and a whole new world to explore while doing it. I could mope and whine about it, I guess, but I decided not to look this gift horse in the mouth."

"You did that on purpose."

"Maybe." Lucy smiled. "Nothing wrong with taking what's given to you and going for the better parts of it. Lemons, lemonade, you know the saying."

They arrived at the statue and the crowd had vanished, presumably off to their respective classes. Sam frowned a little. "Sure, but I doubt whoever made that up was thinking about becoming a horse at the time."

Author's Note:

Spike to the rescue! Where is Twilight anyway? Lucy and Sam handle themselves reasonably at least, deflecting the typos in Apple Bloom's crazy accent.

PreviousChapters Next