• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 490 Views, 25 Comments

The Lonely Princess - Mocha Star



Twilight is all that remains of her friends and she's reflecting her story.

  • ...
22
 25
 490

Rarity's Gem

It was a cold winter morning in Ponyville when I looked to the Carousel Boutique. A gaudy purple tent of a house and business that stood contrast to the entire scenery of the town, especially during winter. The sun had risen and a few ponies were stirring from their homes and beginning their day, each oblivious to the loss that had transpired a few days prior to the owner of the establishment before me.

I took a deep breath in and held it. It was cold and bitter, it hurt a lot at first. Then I let it go and watched the vapor blow away in the light breeze. My heart was colder at the moment.

How? How can I have lost two friends already? Within five years? Within the same decade? I haven't aged a minute and now... I raised my hoof and shook it free of the snow and wiped a lone tear from my right cheek before turning to return to my castle. Rainbow Dash to a stupid aerodynamic flaw and now this? Why did I have to be cursed with immortality? How do they do it? I looked to the sky.

The sun was rising which meant the moon had set, in sixteen hours the sun will set and the moon will rise for exactly eight hours. The process will repeat until the end of time. They will live forever, as will I.

How many will I love, befriend, and lose?


The train ride to Baltimare was so exciting and full of joy; Rarity and Fluttershy were talking about the latest fashion styles and I still have no idea how Fluttershy knows so much about fashion. I'll ask her someday, but today was about a girls day, plus one baby dragon, to a different city to spend a short time shopping and seeing sights. Applejack was talking with my Spike about different foods they were going to sample; starting with Big Wheel's Donut Hole.

All our adventures had never taken us there and of all the places to go it seemed like one of the more common cities, smaller than Manehattan but just as busy. When Rarity had suggested it over our tea time I thought it was a fantastic idea. I had been burdened with solving personal issues now.

Instead of the celestial sisters having to settle simple disputes over land and relationships; that fell on me now. They were free to handle more important issues like preventing the Gryphon nation from going hungry or the Centaurians from attacking our south west and taking our land, and the land of the Buffalo, for their own.

I had taken three weeks to work my own schedule, with Spike's help, so I could have five days off. I slept most of the ride but who can sleep comfortably with Pinkie in the same car as you? If it wasn't a random story with emphasis on random words then it was that infernal Party cannon. Twice I woke up with the whole car decorated in her usual party theme with no pony having an answer; apparently we went through a tunnel and in the seven seconds that took she had turned our car into a party.

The conductor was very... displeased each time but relented when he saw I was on board. I thought the title of archmage was grand, but now to have everypony bowing to me and addressing me as 'your highness', it's never gotten to be comfortable. Not the least in the last thousand years from the time this tale began.

Anyway, we arrived the following morning from Ponyville and departed the train with so much pent up energy Rainb-... Erhm, Rainbow Dash would have gone stir crazy and flown out of the car before it stopped. The weather was warm for fall but we were ready to have a fun weekend so, first stop was the hotel. We dropped off our bags and left Spike to set our beds and dressers up while we went for a real meal. He was to join us as soon as he was done.

One thing I, and Rarity, could never complain about is the royal treatment. The best room at the hotel, free spa treatment, meals, even a tour of the city. All I had to do was have my picture taken outside the establishments and with the mayor. A simple price to pay; they get recognition and we get a vacation. Simple enough. I used to hate to take advantage of my title but the past few years had been rough on us all. Rainbow being taken from us, then a plague had begun to spread and, while it was easily destroyed and nonfatal, had left a mark on the nation that took time to heal.

I digress, again. This tangical thought process of mine has never gotten better, I apologize.

We were at the diner and all was well, I had ordered a soup and salad. It was okay but nothing compared to Spike's food. He was a true chef in the best sense of the word and the best assistant anypony could have. Well, we finished our meal and waited almost an hour for Spike to join us before we decided to just catch up with him that night. He'd have to see the town on his own and we left a few bits and gems to keep him satiated.

The day was pretty normal. Rarity took us to several shops for inspiration, Fluttershy had us stop in the park to feed a few animals. And by a few I mean about a dozen squirrels, more birds than I cared to count, dogs, cats, the list went on until we finally decided to leave her to her own devices. Applejack led the way to Big Wheel's Donut Hole where we expected to find Spike, but again he wasn't there.

"Where in tarnation is that dragon? Ah got a hankerin' fer some grub and I aim ta share with him. He's a late as a rattlesnake in winter, Twilight, ya know where he is?"

"I don't know AJ, maybe he's sleeping in the room. You three wait here and I'll go check on him. Pinkie, can you check on Fluttershy? I don't think she knows where we are and I'd hate for her to miss out," I asked and she grinned widely. With a hop she began poinging out of the restaurant and back the few blocks to the park.

I smiled to the others and formed the spell in my mind and the world was awash in purple for a second before it returned to normal and I was outside our room in the hotel. I opened the door and walked in to see the room setup perfectly. I expect nothing less after all this time from Spike. "Spike?" I called, "are you here? We're gonna eat some do~nuts," I sang. No reply.

"Hm, maybe he left a note?" I asked the room as I began looking at each bed, then on each dresser, table, counter, inside the icebox, then on the entrance door; both sides. "Huh, well maybe he's checking out the town. He did say he wanted to surprise Rarity with a gift."

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Rarity had agreed to take Spike to dinner while we were in town. She still had no interest in even trying to have a relationship with a dragon, but loved the attention he offered her. I shrugged and left the room, closing and locking the door behind me. Princess or not, thieves are everywhere and a chance at royal jewelery was an opportunity some couldn't pass up.

I decided to walk back to the shop and check a few places along the way when I heard a commotion outside the hotel. Not one to pass up a chance to help solve a problem I rushed to the gathered gaggle group of growing gents who were gangly and grand in size... Erhm. I went to the gathered group and asked what the ruckus was.

"Somepony was hurt and sent to the hospital. Something about an alabaster unicorn-"

My eyes widened and I formed the spell instantly teleporting myself to the others.

Three of them were at a table. "AJ, 'Shy, Pinkie? Where's Rarity and Spike?" I asked with slight panic.

"Rarity said she forgot something she was gonna give Spikey, Twi Twi. She galloped out of here right after you teleported."

"Yeah sugarcube, she got all flustered sayin' she forgot to hide her dress for their dinner."

"Oh no," I said aghast. The others sensed my worry and got up from their seats. "I think there's been an accident. Hurry, we have to get to the hospital. Are you mister Wheel?" I asked the... rotund stallion behind the display case.

"Eeyup." We all took into account the phrase for a second.

"If a white unicorn or baby dragon show up tell them to go back to the hotel and wait for us."

He looked at us then me. His eyes widened and he lowered his head. "Eeyup, yer highness."

A smirk formed on my muzzle as I nodded and turned to the door, opening it with my magic, and dashed... Erhm. To the outside.

Taking a minute to gather my surroundings I knew nothing about the city. Had I read a map I'd have commited it to memory and know exactly where to go. As such I had to ask a cabbie to take us. Without a pause Applejack and Pinkie hopped in while the rest of us followed above.

The hospital was a ways out, and even though he refused I paid the cabbie with what I thought he deserved plus a tip; it was a reasonable amount. We dashe- Rushed in and asked the receptionist about any recent emergencies. After the whole lobby had bowed to me she began searching the database and found a recent admittance. A baby dragon and a unicorn.

Without hesitation I asked where and galloped where she had pointed. The others followed and caught up as I stopped suddenly by an opened door. I looked in and couldn't believe what I saw. My heart ached and I couldn't breathe.

In the bed was my Spike, Rarity crying over him. His belly wrapped in bandages and blue dragons blood seeping through.

"What in the name... Spike?! Rare, what happened?" AJ shouted as she and the others galloped in ahead of me. I didn't realize I was still in the hall, staring into the room, until a mare bowed and addressed me. Ignoring her I flew into the room and beside my number one assistant.

For once I was at a loss for words. My mind was blank and all I could do was stare at him, lying dying before me. I cast a spell to see the damage and... it was extreme.

"He was robbed of his bits and gems outside the hotel. The culprit was caught; a gryphon down on his luck he said," a voice said from behind me.

"D-d-doctor, w-will Spike be alright?" Fluttershy asked, tears, as always it seemed, in her eyes.

"He's not going to make it. We don't have any dragon experience so we can't heal him."

"Gems," I said softly.

"Excuse me, miss- Oh, your highness-"

"Don't bucking bow, answer me. Do you have gems? Dragons eat gems to heal themselves... We need gems, hurry!" I ordered him. Without delay he turned and left the room in a gallop that was far from safe in a hospital setting.

"Twi Twi, are you okay? You don't look okay. Can I help?"

"Pinkie! You have everything in your mane, give me your gems... NOW?!" I shouted louder than I had in years. She and the others cowered back while Rarity said up and scowled at me.

"Silence, please. Let my Spikey Wikey rest in peace."

He stirred after she spoke. "R-Rarity? T-T-Twilight?" he said softly. "Got any gems?"

We looked to Pinkie who had lost her cotton candy puff of hair. It was flat, she didn't have any gems.

"I-I gave him all mine before I left the hotel. I'm so sorry Twilight," she said softly as she laid down on the floor. AppleJack rested a hoof on Pinkie and glared at me for a second before beginning to comfort Pinkie. Fluttershy had joined Rarity and was petting her back softly, reassuringly.

"I have a gem Spike. Please, eat it and get better," Rarity said reaching into her saddlebag and producing the fire gem he had given her those years before.

He smiled wide and took it from her and for a moment everypony was elated. We gathered around his bed and looked closely at him as he raised the gem to his mouth; and kissed it. Taking a small bite from it he lowered his arm and let it fall to the floor from his claws.

Then he was gone.

He was gone.

Spike was gone.

Taken from me by a senseless crime.

Gone. My number one assistant.

He... Would never cook again, give me a hug, help me organize. Listen to me when I'm sad, advise me when I'm confused... Stop me from hurting myself when the pressure was too much and I wanted to end my immortality before it became to heavy.

The thoughts raced through my mind until I looked to the others. Tears in their eyes and sobbing; Rarity was screaming his name, but I heard nothing. The world blurred as my eyes began to flood with tears as I looked to the blue stained bandages. Then the doctor ran in with a sapphire. A small sapphire ring to be exact. A ring from a newlywed pony. The ring was new. Somepony was willing to give their gem to help a strange creature while another was willing to kill for a few bits and gems.

I lost it. I had never cried so hard in my life. I wrapped him in my forelegs and wings and screamed with the others at the loss of such a noble creature who had done so much and had so much more to offer. The crowd grew around the door and began to filter in, and even though they didn't know Spike to see any lifeless body was a heart wrenching event.

Ponies began to sob and I could feel the sorrow in the room. It was tangible. I had never felt another's sorrow and this was so much; a new alicorn power unique to me. I couldn't block it yet, my screams got louder and my tears ran over his tiny body.

'Friendship is loss as well as gain.' The words flew into my mind as I grit my teeth and tightened my hold on him.

He was gone and a piece of me was too.

Comments ( 2 )

...:fluttercry:

It was so amazing and very sad.

6367671
Oh my.
Just read it myself.

Login or register to comment