• Published 17th Mar 2015
  • 1,056 Views, 13 Comments

Summertime Sadness - Vanilla Mocha



(Prequel to Pegasus Feathers) During the summer, the CMC have grown farther apart. Their interests have changed, and when one filly has kept a huge secret from her friends all summer long, she can only hope they will forgive her.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,056

"It's... for the best. Goodbye."

"So, you guys think we should get our cutiemarks in inventing?" Scootaloo asked her two friends, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, as they walked along one of many of Ponyville's dirt roads. School had just been let out- for the summer.

"I don't know... what about dress making like Rarity?" Sweetie suggested.

"But... dresses aren't my thing." Scootaloo mumbled. Apple Bloom giggled at this, and soon Sweetie caught on, and laughed as well.

"Seriously, guys! Knock it off!" Scootaloo said, but at the same time, she couldn't help but laugh along. That is what good friends do- they enjoy having time together, no matter what they are doing. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, as they like to call themselves, trotted down the road until it was time for each pony to depart and go their separate ways. Sweetie was the first to leave; Rarity's boutique was the first place to stop before Apple Bloom's farm she lived on, and then Scootaloo's home.

"Bye guys! See ya' early tomorrow morning to crusade for cutiemarks!" She piped, waving one of her front hooves frantically in the air.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom waved back, and then continued walking.

"So, what do you think we should to get our marks?" Scootaloo asked, apparently not wanting to get off the subject.

"I don't know... but it'll be something we all like to do. I'll think of something- tomorrow morning, like Sweetie said- I'll tell ya'll then." The country pony replied.

"Ok, then." The pegasus responded.

As the two ponies approached the farm, Apple Bloom noticed something different. There was a taxi cab in front of the entrance to the farm, and then suddenly Apple Bloom recalled the reason why.

"Oh! My cousin- Babs, ya' know- she's stayin' this week at the farm like she did last summer!" The yellow furred pony began bouncing up and down- literally- from excitement.

"Wait... you said Babs?!" Scootaloo said, becoming worried.

"She's not the same as last time- at our family reunion, she totally changed. Besides, I think you and Sweetie inspired her and to become good."

"If you say so. Well, I've gotta go, so, you know- see you tomorrow."

"Alright! Bye Scoots!" Apple Bloom replied. She wasted no time in hurrying to the farmhouse to see her cousin.


Apple Bloom rushed up the stairs and into her bedroom. Her cousin, Babs, was unpacking her stuff from her leather brown suitcase she had packed in Manehattan. When the fillies saw each other, smiles appeared on their faces as they hugged. It had seemed like forever to the cousins since they'd last seen each other, and this reunion was a huge event for the ponies. Soon they sat down on Apple Bloom's bed and caught up.

"So, how's it goin' Manehattan- ya'know, with them bullies n' all... they off your tail yet?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Uh, yeah- yeah, they are. You know, sometimes bullies are just mean 'cause they wanna be better than you... once you show em' who's boss, they can actually be pretty nice." The pony replied in her usual Manehattan accent.

"W-what? Bullies- bein' nice? Heh, I doubt that." Bloom chuckled.

"It's true, really."

"So... they're not bullying you anymore?"

"Nope! Told you, they're nice once you show them who's in charge. So, let's stop talking about me and let's see what's going on with you... how's your school?"

"It's alright..." Bloom quietly answered.

"You're not telling me something- I know you, Apple Bloom... and you ain't acting right." Babs said, leaning closer to her cousin.

"Well, see- you know the Cutie Mark Crusaders, right?"

"Yeah! How're they doing?"

"Err... good- but this ain't about them- it's about me."

"Oh, well, why bring them up?"

"You'll see- I'm not there yet."

"Ok then... keep on going." Babs was now rather curious to see what her yellow-furred cousin had to offer.

"Well, um, it's a long story-"

"I have time... cousin." Babs smiled when she said the last part.

Apple Bloom's face brightened too, then continued, "Well, I feel like I'm growing farther away from them. They're nice and all, but I just want some attention from others, too. Me and my friends- we just ain't noticed. I love havin' good friends, but what about being recognized?"

"So, you wanna ditch your friends for popularity?" Babs asked.

"No... that's my point. Should I stay in the shadows with 'em, or should I make more friends? I won't ditch em'... I'd just have a few new friends."

"Well, who do you think is popular?"

"That's also a good point, Babs- the only popular ponies are the bullies!" Apple Bloom closed her eyes, "Why do I have to be so lame?"

"You aren't lame, for one. And not to mention what I said- you can make friends with those bullies."

"But, they're bullies!"

"Yes, but they're popular- noticed, recognized- remembered. They are the ones that make the most impressions on others, right?"

"Yeah..." Bloom hung her head. Was this really the right direction she wanted to go in?

"Look, I'm not trying to get you down, but hey, you have opportunity- you have potential! And with that, you can do all sorts of amazing things! Look, maybe you just haven't explored your field yet- maybe that's why you don't have your cutiemark. Maybe these 'Crusader' friends of yours... uh, well... aren't the right kind of friends for ya', ya'know? No offense or anything... just try to join in with the cooler kids, you know..?" Babs trailed off.

"No, no- you're fine, just fine. Don't worry about me... I'll think on this. Hey, you feelin' hungry?"

"Uh, yeah actually- is it dinner time already? Wow, time goes by fast, heh heh..."

The two ponies sat on the bed before walking downstairs. Apple Bloom didn't have a lot to eat for dinner- only a scoop of mashed potatoes and and glass of water. She never had seconds- she claimed to be full. Soon it was time for bed, and the ponies in the Sweet Apple Homestead were sleeping.


"Huh?" Babs opened her eyes to see her cousin, Apple Bloom, shaking her shoulders and talking to her. She couldn't quite make out what she was saying, but it had to be important.

"Wake up, Babs! I'm gonna be late for my Crusader meetin'!"

Babs sat up, and after a few seconds of awkward silence, asked, "What?"

"My friends- ya' know them- Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle- they're expecting me at the clubhouse in a few minutes! Wanna come?"

"I'm awfully tired though... can't I sleep in? It's summer vacation for me! Uh... if you don't mind... it's not that I don't want to see your friends, I just would like t-" Babs was cut off by her own yawn.

"I understand... don't worry, you're fine." Apple Bloom replied.


"So, what do you think we should do for our next crusade?" Sweetie asked her two friends.

"Well, it doesn't make much sense for us to crusade anymore, seein' how nothin' works... we should go out on our own." Apple Bloom suggested.

"WHAT?!" The pegasus and unicorn responded.

"It's the truth- we've gotten nowhere since our first crusade. It's been a whole school-year since then... I don't think this method works anymore."

"I think Babs is makin' you change your mind!" Scootaloo yelled, getting onto all four of her hooves.

"No! It's not mah cousin! Stop pickin' on her! She's been bullied enough back at her home- let's be nice to her here!" Bloom yelled back.

Scootaloo had never seen her earth-pony friend so... dramatic. What happened to who she used to know?

"Sorry... I just got overwhelmed." Bloom replied quietly, sitting down with her head hung low.

"Aw, it's okay! It happens sometimes." Sweetie Belle said, getting on a positive note.

Apple Bloom then stood up and walked out of the clubhouse.

Scootaloo was about to stand up and bring her friend back inside, but then Sweetie held her hoof out in front of her pegasus friend. "No... she needs to be alone. We'll talk to her later when she's not so... hyper."

"Ok then." Scootaloo sighed.


Babs and Bloom raced through the orchard.

"Yeah! This is fun! I never run in the city!" Babs shouted.

"Really? I couldn't imagine livin' life without doing this!" Bloom replied. She suddenly stopped.

"What happened?"

Apple Bloom only stared and pointed. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were standing only a few feet away from them.

"Oh, ok... I'll be over here." Babs said, not wanting to see the Crusaders.

"Uh- yeah... I'll be right back." Bloom choked. She walked over to her friends nervously.

"Sorry for what I said earlier..." Scootaloo apologized.

"No, you're fine."

"You're acting strange, Apple Bloom- tell us what's wrong... please?" Sweetie asked, her eyes growing wider.

"Ugh... nothin'. I'm fine. Please, just- I don't want my cousin's vacation to be ruined. I just wanna spend some time with her, that's all..." Apple Bloom lied.

"Alright!" Sweetie Belle smiled, obviously not seeing past Apple Bloom's lie.

"Are you sure?" Scootaloo questioned.

"Yes!" Bloom barked.

"Whoa-"

"Sorry."

"Well, uh- let's get going..." The orange pegasus said.

"Wait- girls?" Bloom asked.

"Yeah?" Sweetie asked, turning back around.

"Nevermind." Bloom sighed.

"Don't worry, Apple Bloom- we're all still friends." Scootaloo replied, a smile growing on her face.

Sweetie smiled too, but Bloom faked hers.

"Alright, well- let's go." Scootaloo sighed.

"Yeah- Rarity's going to be mad at me if I don't get home in time." The unicorn mumbled.

"Bye." Bloom responded as she turned back around. Then, closing her eyes, she mumbled, "It's... for the best. Goodbye."

Author's Note:

I know, it's rushed- sorry about that. It's also unedited, and in case you missed my note at the top I AM TERRIBLE WITH ACCENTS SO DON'T JUDGE!

And yes, to figure out what happens, see below:
Here's the link to the story this is based off of. I guess this story is considered the prequel... :twilightsheepish:

Comments ( 13 )

A good prequel, I like how you worked Babs in there, glad to here she got the bullies off her tail back home! Lookign forward to the story that comes after this! ^^

WARNING: Spoiler Alerts To Those Reading Pegasus Feathers.

So...Pegasus Feathers is listed as a sequel to this, yet you warn that this story contains spoilers for its own sequel? What?

(Edited to add quote.)

6776765 Yeah... Sorry about it being confusing. See, they go hand in hand. The story itself takes place before Pegasus Feathers, while being a backstory, it holds info that explains a few things in PF. They're spoilers that explain Apple Bloom's behavior, and why her personality changed suddenly in my story. I thought she would seem out of character if I didn't explain. :twilightsheepish:

6777865
That sounds like the opposite of what "spoilers" usually means. Why are you warning readers away from information we apparently need?

Since the story is short, and apparently doesn't stand on its own, have you considered just merging it into Pegasus Feathers as a flashback or prologue, at whatever point is appropriate?

6777971 It contains minor spoilers. And since PF itself is very long, I decided to make it seperate, not to mention PF can still be understood without this story.

6777978
So I should read PF first (once it's finished, at least)?

6778087 If you want to. It could go either way. Honestly, Pegasus Feathers isn't my best story, and I took it in from another author (Blu_Ray) halfway through. That's when I had the idea to write this story. However you prefer your backstories, that is what I would say. Personally, I'd read this first.

Well... I like it. Its a good prequel(have read other story). I be lying if I didn't say this was pretty good.

7621780 It makes me wonder how they(or this story) didn't get on Equestria daily though:rainbowhuh:

7622029 *shrugs* I might try again with one of my newer stories. :)

7622094 Well, I wish you luck

Login or register to comment