• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 2,254 Views, 5 Comments

The Smith - rathgood



After the fallout from Tirek's attack some ponies find themselves discovering the gifts in their blood

  • ...
5
 5
 2,254

Chapter 1

The normally busy Sweet Apple Acres is shrouded in a light summer shower the steady pitter patter of of the large droplets on the roof provides a soothing music to the three earth ponies lounging in the sitting room. The elderly green mare naps lightly in her rocker, while her two oldest grandchildren lay on the couches reading a book.



The oldest, a large red stallion raises his head and glances outside. “AJ,” he addresses the younger mare, “How long did Miss Dash say that the rain'll last? The south fields need buckin' by weeks end.”



Applejack replies with a sigh, “No I told yah half an hour ago that she said it'd be till a bit after noon before the clouds cleared up.” popping her neck, she continues “ 'sides Big Mac, not like we get a calm mornin like this often, enjoy it while it lasts.”



“If yah say so AJ, just I've been feeling awfully restless since that Tirek feller stole all our magic and Miss Twilight got that new castle of hers.”



A snort of a laugh draws the siblings to their no longer napping grandmother. “Hah, 'restless', in my day we said it like it was. Yer wanting ta start planting seeds.”



Big Mac and Applejack exchange glances as the stallion speaks again, “Granny, planting season was months ago.”



More laughter erupts from Granny Smith. “No my dear boy, planter yer seeds. Startin a family. Lots of good mares here in Ponyville”



To his credit Big Mac only blushes slightly, a fact that few would even be able to notice on his apple red coat. “G G Granny, it ain't like that.” he stammers, “Ah just need to go out and buck some apples and plow the fields. You know, feel connected to what makes me an Earth Pony.”



The matriarch just smirks, “Oh I know what you keep in yer dresser young colt, its not just trees and fields yah want to buck n plow.”



The Apple siblings can only sit there, mouths agape. Thankfully to all parties involved, a brilliant green flash of dragon fire breaks the silence.



“Hm, looks like a message from lil' Spike,” Granny Smith states as it lands in her waiting hooves. Reading it, she can only sigh.



“What's up Granny? Twi want somethin?” inquires Applejack



“Nah, seems the Crusaders created another mess at Twilight Time and its our turn tah help clean up.”



“Those girls....” is all AJ can say as she gets up, “Guess I'll head over and see what they did now.”



The elder mare gives her grandson a nod and clears her throat, “Big Mac, isn't that book yer readin due back today? Why don't you go return it and check on yer sister and her friends as well.”



Applejack nods her head in agreement, “Guess that makes sense, two trees one buck an all.”



The red stallion gives his grandmother a little nod and gets up. “Guess I'll go grab mah saddlebags ta keep it dry an all.”



“That's a good idea,” Granny Smith replies as she beckons him towards her, “It'll also give yah some time to clear yer head.” Lowering her voice so that only Big Mac can here her, she continues, “you should also bring along it. Will make a good impression and get her talking.” Raising her voice, “now git. Don't want ta keep a princess waiting now do we?”

-----------------

A short time later the large red stallion reaches the deserted market place. Normally a center of much chaos and mirth, the rain had done much to keep the ponies indoors. This walk did me some good he thinks to himself as he trots towards the castle-library. Hooves on the ground, fresh air in mah lungs, and just movin. T'was all I needed. He continues as the malaise that had gripped him since the Great Magic Theft had been resolved by his sister and her friends. He continues his thoughts as a stray sunbeam glints off the crystalline parapets indicating that he'd arrived.



Walking up the castle steps and into the open door, Big Mac shakes the rain from his coat and smooths out his damp mane. Spike is waiting near the greeting desk and speaks, “Hey Big Mac, your turn eh?”



“Eyup” he exclaims Now, lets see what the Crusaders broke this time. Following the young drake through the halls he can only marvel at the construction. This thing wasn't built, it was grown he ponders as he observes the floors seamlessly joining to the walls. His reptilian guide turns a corner and Big Mac follows as the sounds of cleaning and apologizing fillies can be heard.



“We're sorry Princess Twilight.” a voice squeaks out.



“Yah, we didn't know bloom's potion would explode like that.” a second voice chimes in.



“I thought I'd checked all the math and portions twice” comes a third voice, this time with a bit of southern twang.



“We didn't mean to break your castle.” the three say in unison and then with the biggest puppy-dog eyes possible they continue “Please don't banish us!”



The sound of Big Mac's clops on the hard floor alerts the occupants of the lab of his presence as both he and Spike take in the destruction first hoof. With a steady gaze her surveys the scene: theres a shattered table with a large scorch mark beneath and above it; a large crack snaking its way from the impact point along the floor and halfway up the wall; And what most concerns him is the large pile of broken glass to the side. The girls sound okay, but thats a lot of damage. He gives a low whistle as his eyes give it one more look over. Leveling his gaze at the white, yellow, and orange fillies, his harsh gaze softens into one of worry.



“Yeah they sure did a number this time” quips the young dragon.



Nodding Big Mac only says one word, “Eeeeeyup.” thats an understatement. I don't think I can fix this.



“Good morning Big Macintosh,” the librarian turned princess states as she smiles, “Don't worry, your sister and her friends are okay.”



Gesturing with a front hoof to the devastation, Big mac gives Twilight Sparkle a inquisitive look.



The purple mare smiles again, “I had a failsafe spell ready should anything,” she looks around, “Well happen.” She levitates the glass shards into a near-by waste bin as she continues speaking. “I adapted one of my brother's barrier spells to instead of form a dome, form a cylinder from floor to ceiling.”



The dragon chuckles, “Yeah, she had to come up with that spell after we found out that are fumes even a dragon can't take...” He fakes a gag, “had to spend an entire week venting the basement of the library after that particular failure.”



Twilight clears her throat, getting everyponys attention. “Spike, can you take the crusaders to the kitchen for a snack? They could probably use it after what happened.”



The smile of the girls return as they trot over to Spike and begin heading out. Applebloom pauses for a minute next to her brother, “Y'all ain't mad are you big brother?”



He only smiles and speaks “Nope”. Lowering his head to right next to his youngest sister he speaks again, much quieter than before, “I'm just glad you and yer friends are okay.” he nuzzles her, “things can be replaced an fixed. Lives can't be.” Raising his head he gestures towards Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Spike. Taking the queue, the youngest apple rejoins her friends.



Seeing the unspoken affection between the siblings Twilight can only smile. It reminds me so much of Shining and myself when I was Applebloom's age. Looking around the room she speaks, “Well Big Mac, should we get started?”



“Eeyup”

-----------------

A few spells and a strong back later and the table is as good as new. The wall and floor on the otherhoof, while clean of the scorching, are still cracked. Out of ideas, Big mac and Twilight Sparkle are sitting in some chairs near a blackboard covered in equations. Taking a small sip of some apple juice Granny Smith sent with him at the last moment, Big Mac looks at the formula.



“This bloom's?” he states while indicating the board.



Brightening up, the princess of friendship nods, “Yes, thats what she was working on.” she gets up and looks straight at the board, “We looked it over and can't figure out why the reaction was so much more pronounced.”



Giving it another look, the red stallion smiles, “Line 4, bout halfway in. Thats supposed ta be a 19 yer dividing by, not 10.” he finishes and takes another sip, having said more in one sentence to Twilight than the rest of his time there.



Running the numbers again the princess's almost yells, “Oh Celestia, you're right!” she cutely tilts her head towards Big Mac, “ but how'd you know?”



Relaxing a little the stallion responds, “I'm good with numbers” he pauses, “And Bloom has a bad habit with her hoof writing.”



“Good with Numbers!?” she nearly shouts, “You just corrected a complex formula in a minute.” She steps a little closer to him, “Thats great with numbers....wait,” she pauses, “Applejack doesn't do the books for Sweet Apple Acres does she?”



“Nope”



She moves closer, “Granny Smith?”



“Nope” She's getting awfully close.



Twilight advances, “Do you?” she questions.



No beating 'round the bush here, “Eyup”



Almost muzzle to muzzle the princess takes a deep breath and speaks, “You manage the finances for the largest apple orchard in Equestria, one that sells apples all over the world, and is the head of the largest farming network in the land.” she continues without taking a breath, “and your'e just good with numbers!? I know professional accountants who couldn't do...”



“Awe, how cute, they're about to kiss.”



“If'n mah brother marries Princess Twilight, what does that make me?”



“Well Applebloom, before, well” the dragon flaps his arms once as he continues, “the wings, Twilight was a Duchess due to Shining Armor's marriage to Cadence.”



Oh my, I didn't realize how close I got to his face. She looks at Big Mac, and those bright green eyes of his.... The lavender princess quickly backs up. “Sso”, she stammers, “How about we get back to to fixing the room Big Mac?”



Thank Celestia for little interruptions, “Eyup”.



“Awwwww” three of the four newcomers say in unison.



“Bleh,” putting her hoof to her mouth as if gagging, “Glad thats over. Stupid mushy stuff.” Scootaloo states plainly.



Walking over to the cracks Big Mac lowers his head and inspects the damage. Hm, doesn't look like material got blown out. He ponders, means it had enough force to push em apart. His gaze follows the path and moves up the wall as he closes his eyes and continues to think. Now if this was one of the trees we'd just, he begins to think of the last time they fixed a cracked tree in the orchard, going over the events in his minds eye. I'd push it together, his front hooves from the fetlock down begin to take on a crystalline form. Then I'd pour a little Earth pony magic into it to promote growth, a bright light forms at the edge of the crack and races along its length, mending the damage as it goes. Then we'd wait and it'd either get better or we'd need ta take it down. He lets out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding, now about this here crystal tree...



An excited gasp echoes across the room, “Big Mac!” Twilight calls out, breaking the stallion from his thoughts, “Your hooves!” The princess gestures towards the floor.



Looking down the stallion is more speechless then normal. What the hay has happened to mah hooves? He questions himself, almost not believing what he's seeing. They look like them Crysal Ponies from the Equestria Games. Looking around he sees his excited little sister approaching him.



Ever the scholar, Twilight levitates a quill and some parchment, ready to take notes. “Big Mac, has this ever happened before?”



To his knowledge it hadn't, “Nope”



“Interesting”, the mare comments as the quill makes some quick notes, as she paces around the stallion. Pausing at his side she continues, “This looks like Crystal magic, but you're an Earth pony, which is odd. Would you mind if I looked at yer hoof?” she questions.



Not minding in the slightest he replies swiftly, “Nope” and raises his hoof. The second it leaves the floor it returns to its normal look. Well that ain't normal he thinks. Setting it back down he raises the other, just for the same thing to happen.



“Oh how very interesting.” the princess exclaims as she gets more excited about unknown knowledge. “I wonder if you have any Crystal Pony in your family.” The excited mare canters over to the blackboard, flipping it over and begins to draw punnet squares in rapid succession all while muttering under her breath.



The quick cloping of hooves alerts Big Mac to his rapidly approaching sister who runs right by him and to the wall, “Look here girls, mah brother fixed the wall!” she inspects the wall and floor, “and right good I reckon.” Big Mac himself inspects the formally damaged items as well, did I really fix it?



“I wonder if you can get your cutie mark in crystal repair?” Sweetie Belle says to nopony in particular.



“Ah don't rightly know” Apple Bloom replies, “Big brother can you show me how?”



I would if I could. He shakes his head, “Nope”.



“Why not?” the filly whines.



The young pegasus replies, “He seems kind of surprised, maybe he doesn't know?”



Looking at the others, the white unicorn nods, “Yah, thats probably it!”



Perking up Apple Bloom smiles, “Maybe if we can find how, we can get our Cutie Mark that way!”



Looking at each other they nod and scream, “CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS MAGIC INVESTIGATORS YAY!!!!” and they run out, probably towards the library.



The large red stallion turns towards the near deaf drake and gestures with his head, “Spike?”



“Gotcha covered Big Mac. I won't let them get into to much trouble.” and with that he waddles off after the crusaders.



Trotting over to the blackboard the stallion looks over the impressive number of iterations as the slightly manic pony drawing them turns her head towards him. She looks awfully cute floating there with a few hairs out of place Big Mac catches himself thinking as the librarian speaks, “I think I figured out how this happened!” she cheerfully says.



“Hmmm?” the stallion replies.



“Yes, but I'll need to talk with Granny Smith first,” she lands and approaches him, “She might be able to confirm my thoughts!” She looks at him with wide, knowledge seeking eyes, “Shall we go see her?”



I can't say no to that face. “Eyup”, he states plainly as he heads for the door.



Twilight flutters over to him, “Oh, I can get there much faster than that” and the stallion finds his world enveloped in a bright light and his insides turned out.

-----------------

An instance later, Granny Smith is awoken by the bright flash of teleportation as her grandson makes a spectacular entrance. “Well howdy there Princess. How's the castle?” she happily inquires, while shooting Big Mac a knowing look.



Shaking her wings out a little, Twilight eagerly answers, “That's actually why I'm here.” She glances at the slightly shell shocked stallion, “Big Mac appears to have channeled Crystal magic to fix it!” she excitedly states.



“Well I'll be.” the Apple matriarch replies, “Never heard of that happening before.”



“I know right!?” she steps closer to the elderly mare, “Do you know if your family has any Crystal Ponies in it?”



“I'm not that old silly filly”, She laughs and shakes her head no, “I don't, but mah cousin Golden Delicious may.” She looks over to her grandson, “Big Mac, can you grab the map please?”



“Eyup” he trots over to get it. Well that was a unique experience he thinks as he returns the map



Pointing at a small house down the river Granny Smith continues, “Thats where she lives.. If anypony knows the Apple or Smith family history back that far she would”.



“Oh thank you so much Granny!” she hugs the pale green mare. “Lets go visit your great-cousin Big Mac!” and with that the stallion's world flips for a second time.



Having expected the sudden teleportation, Granny Smith uncovers her eyes and says matter-of-factly, but to nopony, “Go get her son....go get her”. And then resumes her nap.

-----------------

His world resolves itself once more as the pair appears in front of a ramshackle log cabin. Shaking his head a bit, the stallion surveys the land, Thats definatly Golden Delicious's cabin he thinks. Turning his head towards the mare he begins to speak“Miss Twilight, can I get a little warnin' next time please?”



“I'm sorry. Sometimes I get excited and just go with it.” she sheepishly brushes her right hoof against her left foreleg, “and how many times have I told you Big Mac, call me Twilight,” she looks into his eyes, 'We're friends so none of this Miss stuff, got me?”



“Eyup”



“So,” she says as she looks around, “Is this the right place?”



Nodding his head slightly Big Mac answers, “Eyup” and he walks over and knocks on the door.



A voice from the other side answers, “One minute”. The sounds of cats and muffled objects falling can be heard through the door as well as a muffled voice, “Dang cats. Are y'all trying ta kill me?”



Twilight looks at Big Mac concerned, “Should we?”



Knowing full well what the cabin looks like inside, the stallion shakes his head and chuckles, “Nope”.



“Okay” is the mare responds with.



A few seconds later the door opens to reveal an elderly mare with a light amber coat and grey-white mane. Seeing the large red stallion she smiles, “Well howdy there Big Macintosh, what brings you round these parts?” She asks.



“We came ta see the family registry yah keep”, he responds and steps slightly to the side so Golden Delicious can see the princess.



“We?”, she spies Twilight and the old mare's smile grows, “I'll be, yah finally decided to settle down and get yerself a marefriend.” She steps back into the building and then calls over her shoulder, “It's right round here, then we can get her entered as your wife.” as she continues to search for it.



The work horse and princess exchange glances, each thinking do we really look like that? And with an unspoken agreement go into the house to correct her. Twilight's head sweeps back and forth at the clutter, mess, and cats. Is that a cheetah? She thinks to herself as a large spotted cat cleans itself.



“Ah here it is” Golden Delicious states as she removes a large book from under a stack of books, causing them to cascade down into a neat pile. She addresses Twilight as she turns around “Now, what's your name miss?” noticing both the wings and horn she corrects herself with a bow, “I mean princess.” and then shoots her second cousin twice removed a look that says well done.



Big Mac answers first, “We're not here fer that.” the elderly mare's smiles recedes a little, “but we are wondering if the book goes back bout 1000 years or so.” then carefully pointing at Twilight he continues, “Twilight here was wondering if we had any Crystal pony in the family tree.”



“Hmm, Let me look”, she sets the book down and flips a few pages, “Shame, though”, she flips a few more pages, “Maybe next time”, she flips some more pages, “Y'all look good together”. She continues to look, each page turn punctuated with a hmm or huh. A minute of looking and the mare looks up, “Well, looks like we do have one...” she pauses, “Maybe. Name sounds like one and so does the place of birth.”



“May I?” asks the lavender mare and with a nod from Golden Delicious, the princess wraps the book in her magic aura and levitates it to eye level with her and the red stallion. “Looks like theres a Quartz Smith on your grandmother's side Big Mac,” she continues to read, “Hmm, all it says for birth place is the northern mountains”. Levitating the book back to its keeper she continues, “Its as good a lead as any.”



Well, guess her idea had some truth in it he thinks, “Eyup” he turns to his second cousin, “Thank ya kindly, but we should be going. The orchard ain't gonna buck itself.”



“I understand”, she gives him a quick hug, “Don't be a stranger. I only live an hour outside Ponyville.” she gives Twilight a simple bow, “And thank you fer your visit Princess.”



Blushing a bit Twilight waves a hoof, “No need to bow and Twilight is fine.”



The two younger ponies trot outside, “Are you ready Big Mac?” Twilight asks as she powers up the return teleportation spell.



As I'll ever be, “Eyup”. And with a flash they're gone.



Closing her door, the amber mare pets on of her myriad of cats, “Well darn, guess I owe mah cousin 2 bits.”

-----------------

Back at the castle, the CMC and Spike are searching the library for whatever the Crusaders believe will help them get their Cutie Marks as a bright flash bounces off the walls indicating that erstwhile librarian has returned, “Spike, take a letter” comes her voice. The drake just shakes his head and shuffles over with a quill and parchment in claw.



“I take it you found something at wherever you teleported off to?” quips the dragon.



The Crusaders gather around the two newcomers. “We did! It seems Granny Smith's 2X grandfather was potentially a Crystal Pony.” She smiles, “So I want to message Cadence to see if she can find any records of him.”



In short order the letter is written and is incinerated in a gout of green dragon fire. The letter sent, the six of them head for the kitchen and a late lunch.

-----------------

Telekinetically she unrolls the scroll and reads it as two tickets fall out of it.



“Dear Twilight,” she starts, “I believe I have found a relative of the pony you mentioned. A mrs. Ruby Smith. She has agreed to meet with you friend and see if they are indeed related. I have enclosed two tickets for the 9pm train from Ponyville to the Crystal Empire so the two of you can arrive first thing in the morning. I have also set aside some time for Big Macintosh to meet with an expert on Crystal Pony magic that may help explain the phenomena you mentioned. See you soon.”



An excited Earth Pony filly bounces next to her big brother, “You got a personal invitation to the Crystal Empire, You have to tell me all about it when you get back” she says.



Patting the filly on her head the stallion agrees, “Eyup” the orchard should be fine for a few days without me he thinks, “Bloom, can yah get Caramel to help out while I'm gone? Apple Bloom nods her head, “Well Mi...” he catches himself, “Err, well Twilight me and Bloom are heading back to the farm to let them know.” His sister waves goodbye to her friends as he continues, “I guess I'll see you at 8:30 at the train station then?”



“That would be lovely,” she responds as the siblings and remaining Crusaders begin to head out. “Spike? We need to..”



“Start a checklist”, the dragon finishes her thought as he holds up a quill and parchment, “already ahead of you. So, whats first?” he inquires as the two of them head into the private wing of the castle to pack.

-----------------

“5 more minutes Spike”, she mumbles as she snuggles into the soft warm blanket to her side. This is nice and comfy her sleep addled mind thinks. I need to get one of these for my bed back home she continues as the last word home echoes in her mind. Wait, I'm on a train.....a train with BIG MAC her brain screams. Cracking an eye she sees the large mass of red she had been snuggling into. With a panicked flap of her wings she launches herself backwards into a low hover. Oh Celestia I can't believe I just did that. She thinks as her mind races and pulse slowly goes down. Calmer she lands and retakes her seat, this time on the opposite side of the room. I'm just glad he's such a heavy sleeper” she thinks as the train rolls on.



Meanwhile Big Macintosh is doing his best to look asleep. Having been woken by the same jostle as Twilight and then made fully awake by her snuggling, the stallion does his best to calm himself. I'll admit this he thinks, it was a nice feeling that I could get used to, but his thoughts trail off as the sound of a pony knocking on their door allows him to 'wake up'. “Sorry to disturb you, but we will be arriving at the Crystal Empire main station in 15 minutes.” the conductor states, “Please begin to prepare to disembark.” he finishes and moves down the hall to the next room.



Yawning the Stallion opens his eyes, stands up and stretches, “Morning Twilight” he intones, “Hope you slept well and my snoring didn't keep you up”. The subtle pop of kinked muscles punctuating his words.



Her back to him as she gets her bags and hide her blush she response, “I slept fine.” She sets a bag on the floor, “Nope, nothing went on, yup slept well” she rambles. Big Mac shrugs as he retrieves his saddlebags from under the seat.



A few minutes pass in awkward silence as the snowy wastes turn into the glittering Crystal Empire. Soon the train decelerates to a full stop, the whistle indicating they've arrived. Saddlebags secured, the duo exit the small room and immediately head out a nondescript side door that leads to a private platform where they are met by two Crystal guards.



“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” they bow, “your brother, Prince Shining Armor sent us to escort you and your companion to the palace.” He gestures with his hoof to a side route, “Please come this way, we will be taking the new VIP route that bypasses most of the main routes.” they begin to trot, “for privacy sake”.



“Then lead on gentleman” she responds as she follows them, “Ready Big Mac?” she says to the stallion walking silently next to her.



“Eyup” he responds and thinks to himself ready to get to the bottom of what happened back home. He glances at Twilight and ready to clear things up with her.

-----------------

“We have been expecting you” one replies as they open the doors. “Please wait for us to announce you” he finishes.



“Oh theres no need for that” Twilight states, but the stallion ignores her.



Clearing his throat he loudly introduces them, “Now presenting, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and” he stops and sizes up Big Macintosh, “her consort.” he finishes.



At the far end of the hall Prince Shining Armor is now shooting a glare that states latrine duty for life to the poor guard who announced his sister while his wife, Princess Cadence lets out a melodious chuckle. The sound of which reaches the embarrassed pair making their way to the throne. Twilight stops and looks at her sister-in-law, “You put him up to that didn't you?” she questions, already knowing the answer full well.



“I cannot lie” she starts, “I did it.” she places a calming hoof on her husband's shoulder, “You and your brother are so fun to prank” she plainly states much to the passing ire of both parties. But then turns to Big Macintosh, “But I do have to apologize to you for that.” she says.



Big Mac bows, “Ain't no problem Princess.” he starts, doing his best to avoid the hardened military gaze being shot at him by the prince. “I have two sisters and” he thinks above the love poison fiasco years earlier, “am used to a little pranking here an there.” Just please let her brother not misunderstand anything he adds silently, knowing full well how he'd react if he was in Shining Armor's place with Applejack or Apple Bloom.



“Well” clopping her hooves the princess of love stands up, “I appreciate that you're a good sport and as a peace offering, would the two of you like to join us for breakfast?” The growling of both their stomachs answer that question for them.



“Eyup” states Big Mac as they make their way to the private dining room.

-----------------

She addresses Cadence and Shining Armor, “Good afternoon your hignesses” and then turns towards Twilight and Big Mac, “And afternoon to you Princess Twilight.” she trots closer and removes a hoof sized prismatic crystal from her saddlebags. “I brought what you asked,” and she gestures to Big Mac, “Is he the pony in question?”



Cadence nods her head, “Yes,” she states while gesturing at the large stallion “I present to you Mr. Big Macintosh Apple of Ponyville.”



“Howdy ma'am” he replies.



“Likewise young stallion” she responds. Approaching him, she holds the crystal towards Big Mac and continues, “Now I heard you may be related to my son Quartz?”



“Eyup” he says, or so the registry says at least he thinks.



“Well then, put your hoof on this crystal and we'll see.” Raising an eyebrow, Big Mac's confusion mirrors that of the other non Crystal Ponies in the room. “Oh, right.” she pauses, “You may not know what this is. Its a heritage crystal. We don't know how old they are, but they react only to certain families magic.”



“Fascinating” responds the scholarly Alicorn, “If possible, I'd like to research them at a future date” she pauses, “If you would allow it that is.”



“Thats fine Princess, we're actually curious about that ourselves.” She grabs Big Mac's hoof, “Now put your hoof here.”



Placing his hoof on the crystal, the Earth Pony feels a slight tingle as the crystal itself faintly glows an amber-red color. The smile on the older mare's face tells him what he needs to know, looks like we're kin after all. He thinks as he lowers his hoof from it.



“Well, that seals it.” She hugs Big Mac suddenly, “You're descended from my son” she pauses, “my poor, exiled son.” she tears up, “I was so afraid for him. All alone in the barren north.” she wipes her eyes with the back of her hoof, “But now I know he found a good mare, had a good life, and left a legacy.” Big mac hugs her back as the happy-sad mare finishes, “I'd like to visit you in Ponyville and meet your...our family there”.



“they'd like that” the stallion responds and pauses, “Great Granny Ruby?” he finishes with a slight hint of a question in it.





She nods, “Thats fine.” she clears her throat, “I never though I'd ever be called that. It warms my heart.” She turns to the others, “Thank you everypony for this chance.” she slides the crystal back into her bag, “But as much as I would like to stay, my lunch break is almost over so I must get back to work.” she states kindly, but with finality.



Big Mac walks over and gives her on last hug, “I'll see you on the farm then. Sweet Apple Acres, can't miss it.”



“Eyup” she responds with a wink and canters out.



“Isn't this exciting Big Mac?” Twilight asks as she trots over, “To think we managed to reunite a Crystal Pony with her descendants.”



“Eyup” he states I never expected this to actually pan out he continues in his head.



Turning to her brother and Sister-in-law, the lavender Alicorn addresses them, “Cadence, can you send a message to Spike with what we just talked about? I'm sure the rest of the Apple family will be thrilled to hear it.”



“No problem at all.” the Princess of Love replies, “lets go send that message” and the pair trot off, leaving Big Mac and Shining Armor alone.



“So, Um” starts the Prince, “Do you like hoofball?”



Nope, “Eyup” he replies instead.



“Great, so I was thinking....” starts Shining Armor as Big Macintosh only half listens.

-----------------

“At ease captain,” commands Shining Armor, “We've asked you here this afternoon to see if you can help Big Macintosh here manifest the crystal magic phenomena he displayed in Ponyville yesterday.”



“Are you ready Big Mac?” asks Twilight.



Swallowing the small lump in his throat he responds, “Eyup”



“Good, now lets take a look at you cadet!” A flip appears to switch in the military stallion as he paces around Big Mac appraising him, “Well you're sure big enough, farmer most likely.” He stops in front of the taller stallion, “That'll do you some good, now I want to see what you can do. This field is inundated with crystal clusters minerals. Your job is to make them grow.” Big Mac's confusion is obvious, “Right, Earth Pony.” he pauses, then resumes pacing. “Like you Earth Ponies, Crystal Ponies help things grow. In our case its crystal formations. We coax the minerals to form crystals which force them to grow.” He stops, “Do you understand?”



“Eyup”



“Good, now close your eyes and follow my instructions.” Big Mac does just that. “Now imagine the largest tree you've ever knocked something out of and triple it” Big Mac's mind jumps to the Golden Oaks Library tree and the numerous kites, balls, and other assorted items he had to buck out of it. Following the instructions triples its already impressive size until it towers over everything in his mindscape Ponyville. “Now hit it with everything you've got! Try and knock everything out of it!” he commands.



Muscles coil like springs as the farmer takes a modified bucking stance and release them all in a massive hit to the ground. A flash of light and shaking ground ripples out from the impact forming concentric circles of massive crystal spikes, each the size of a regular pony. Thirty feet from the center the spikes stop as Big Mac opens his eyes and surveys the results. “Did I do that?” he questions not believing his eyes.



“Yes you did” beams the captain as he turns to Shining Armor, “You found a good one here Commander. Needs control and training, but a good one.” he states happily as he turns back to the red stallion, “Now you need training. Find somepony in Ponyville that can teach you to control your power and I'll handle whipping you into shape to handle this.”



“I'd rightly appreciate that Captain.” replies the still stunned stallion.



“Good, I'll see you every two weeks for a weekend of training” commands the guard.



Guess Caramel will be helping out more often he ponders, but answers with a “Eyup”.



Twilight runs up to Big Mac and gives him a sudden hug, “That was wonderful” she states, “Its amazing, you can use Crystal magic as well as Earth magic. Its unprecedented!” rambles the happy Alicorn, the sudden display of affection stunning Big mac a little.



A sudden cough from a newly arrived guard draws their attention, “Sorry to interrupt, but we have urgent need of the three of you”, indicating to the royal couple and captain of the guard, “We have another dragon attempting to take up residence in the eastern gem mine.”



“Oh my” replies the Crystal Princess, “Again?”



“Yes your highness” he replies.



“I'm sorry Twily,” the prince starts, “But we need to see to this right away.”



“I understand” she replies, “Big Mac and I will tour the athletes village from the Equestria Games while you see to it.”



“Thanks” he replies as the four run off to see to the latest threat.



Turning towards Big Mac, Twilight begins to speak, “Thats fine with you right?” she asks, and then continues “I mean if you'd prefer to head back to the palace we can, but,” she speeds up, “Ithoughtawalkwouldbenice” she finishes quickly, taking a long breath.



Smiling the stallion nods, “That'd be right nice Twi” he finishes, not fully realizing he shortened her name. “Lead the way”.

-----------------

Looking around he see that they're all alone now, the other ponies having filtered off to other areas. “Hey Twilight?”



“Yes Big Macintosh?”



“You know where everypony else went to?” he looks around, “Seems rather quite here.”



Putting her hoof to her chin she thinks for a minute, “Actually, I'm not sure. You'd think everypony would be here visiting before they tear it all down to rebuild into regular housing and stores.”



getting nervous the stallion continues his inquiry, “And when would that be?” he asks.



“Oh well”, the princess thinks, “I believe its...” An explosion interrupts her thoughts, “TODAY!” she screams as the pair start running.



“Can you teleport us back to the palace?” yells the stallion as the buildings start to shatter.



The princess stops and begins to draw magic for the spell, but stops with an earsplitting scream. “I...Can't...Focus....Noise...In...Head” she spits out as an audible ringing hits Big Mac's ears. The buildings near them begin to vibrate and harmonize with the noise, increasing its volume and power. The mare is now prone, shielding her ears from the noise.



I gotta do something he thinks as the buildings start spraying crystal shards all around them, some cutting into the stallion's hide. Twi's down, I gotta protect her. I've taken worse and he dives over her, protecting the lavender mare with his own body as the buildings fully shatter into thousands of pieces. Closing his eyes, the stallion does his best to grow the crystals into something to protect them. He imagines a tree bending to wreath them in its branches and then the world goes dark.

-----------------

dragon that was invading the mine?”



“Y..yes my prince” replies the guard hesitantly, “But it was a very big iguana sir.”



Cadence giggles while Shining Armor shoots daggers at the guard. “You've earned yourself a month of latrine duty for this private.” he states sternly.



The guard salutes and responds with a crisp “Yes Sir!”.



“Dismissed!” and the private is gone as another runs up panting from his exertion. Looking at the panicked pony the prince addresses him, “What's the problem lieutenant?”



Taking a quick series of breaths the pony begins, “An emergency sir. The demolition of a building cascaded and took down the entire village!”



Worry shoots across the faces of the royal couple. “Was anyone injured?” asks the worried princess.



“No yer Majesty, but there are two ponies unaccounted for.” the tired guard states. “Princess Twilight Sparkle and the red stallion she was with can not be loca..”



The guards report is interrupted by his commander yelling “TWILY!” as the worried older brother charges full speed towards the destroyed village, his wife in hot pursuit.

-----------------

Soon the crystal ponies join in the search as well. Methodically they move from the edges in. Time ticks slowly by as more and more join the search and cleanup. Cadence joins in after a visit to those that managed to evacuate the area before the disaster. A voice cries out, “We've found something” and everypony descends upon a strange amber-red crystal. Hesitantly, the prince taps the crystal, causing it to crumble away into the wind.



Light Big Mac thinks somepony found us. A few gasps echo in the crowd as he looks down. Twilight's on her stomach; wings splayed to each side as he lays across her back; and his head and forelegs overlapping hers. To tired to care, the large stallion carefully rolls off of Twilight and onto his back. Looking up he sees the concerned, but angry face of Shining Armor and the worried face of Princess Cadence. Blood still flowing from his numerous cuts he speaks a few words before blacking out, “Check on Twi.”

-----------------

Yah did good Big Mac the voice in his head tells him and whatever happens happens. He opens and eye and sees the sleeping form of Princess Twilight Sparkle, her head resting next to his barrel as her rhythmic breathing provides a welcome noise to the otherwise quiet room. This is nice he thinks as he brushes a hoof through her mane as he goes to nudge her shoulder.



The sudden contact jolts the mare awake as she looks up and sees the smiling, all-be-it tired face of Big Macintosh. He's okay. Thank Celestia he's okay. She smiles back at him.



Looking out the near by window he can see the sun low in the east, “Mornin Twi.” he says, “How long was I out?”



She wipes a tear from her eye, “18 hours give or take.” she pauses, “You had almost 100 cuts and abrasions.” She gets a little angry, “Why did you do that!” she looks into his emerald eyes, “You could have been seriously hurt!”



He smiles, “But if that means you're safe, than thats fine with me.” he responds causing the Alicorn to blush. Attempting to getup, the stallion grunts as the movement causes a sudden rush of pain through his body.



“Don't move yet, you're still injured you big dummy!”



“Heh” he chuckles, “Being big is what kept us safe.” looking to the side he sees his apple-marked saddlebags and remembers the doll inside. “Hey Twi? Can you kindly hand me my saddlebags?”



“Sure” she states as her magic aura envelopes the bag and deposits it my the stallion's forehoof.



Reaching in, Big Mac retrieves the stuffed doll he'd brought with him to the castle-library in the first place. “I meant to give this back to you at the castle,” he says as he pulls out Twilight's missing Ms. Smarty Pants doll. “I've had her since the whole want it need it incident.” She takes it from his hoof and hugs it.



“I thought I'd lost her forever. Thank you!” she gives him a peck on the cheek, “Thats for giving her back.” she states shyly. Looking around to make sure the door is shut she leans in and gives him a kiss on the lips, “And thats for saving me back there” she says boldly.



Well, that seals it I died he thinks, but the pain from his wounds tell him differently. “It was nothing, any stallion would do it for somepony important to him.” He plainly states, to tired to care.



Twilight's blush deepens as she plays with her mane a little then speaks, “So..um, how about you and I go out for dinner after you're better?” She stammers a little, “I mean just you and I at a nice restaurant.” She plays with her mane some more, “So....is it a date?” she asks meekly.



“Eyup”

Author's Note:

Written for the EQD SHH&HD Love Fest. May continue it and give it a second pass. Note this is unedited at the moment.

Comments ( 5 )

It wrapped up a bit suddenly, but overall a charming story! You made the leads an appealing couple, and sent them on an interesting little quest. I enjoyed it!

It was cute and a nice read, but I felt like everything moved a bit too quickly. Some of it seemed kind of forced and out of place. That said, it was adorable, and I did enjoy reading it! :twilightsmile:

5655630
5627734
Thanks for the comments. I do agree with what both of you are saying. I wrote this with a deadline (5 days) for a Hearts & Hooves day write-off. So all in told I probably spent 10-12 hours writing it. I plan to go back and clean it up and if needed, add additional chapters.

There were a couple parts after transitions that seem like they were cut short from larger scenes:

“Well” clopping her hooves the princess of love stands up, “I appreciate that you're a good sport and as a peace offering, would the two of you like to join us for breakfast?” The growling of both their stomachs answer that question for them.
“Eyup” states Big Mac as they make their way to the private dining room.

-----------------

She addresses Cadence and Shining Armor, “Good afternoon your hignesses” and then turns towards Twilight and Big Mac, “And afternoon to you Princess Twilight.” she trots closer and removes a hoof sized prismatic crystal from her saddlebags. “I brought what you asked,” and she gestures to Big Mac, “Is he the pony in question?”

We're dropped right into this scene with a pronoun without any clue who "she" refers to, and only figure out that she's a new pony as you list the others in the room and allow us to eliminate them as possibilities.

Closing his eyes, the stallion does his best to grow the crystals into something to protect them. He imagines a tree bending to wreath them in its branches and then the world goes dark.

-----------------

dragon that was invading the mine?”
“Y..yes my prince” replies the guard hesitantly, “But it was a very big iguana sir.”

Here we're literally dropped into a conversation mid-sentence. Very strange.

That aside, it was cute and pretty fun, but it definitely gives the impression that it's setting up a much bigger story; all that hubbub about Mac being able to suddenly shoot crystals out of the ground seems kind of important, and getting a future date with Twilight after they were both nearly killed kind of seems like an underwhelming conclusion. This story has adventure chops, and it deserves to be explored further.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I like the underlying story, but this really needs a lot of editing.

Login or register to comment