• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 1,628 Views, 49 Comments

The Reign of Trotivarius - CrackedInkWell



After the death of his husband, Harmonic tries to move on with his life after Color. This is the third part of "My Name is Harmonic" & "Symphony of Life".

  • ...
7
 49
 1,628

4th Movement

Script agreed with Page to take their daughter to the playground right after breakfast. With her daughter on his back, he trotted through the streets to the usual way to get to the only few parks that have playgrounds in Canterlot. Besides, he could pick up a newspaper to keep up-to-date on the way there.

He stopped for a moment, gave a few bits to the unicorn at the newsstand that gave him the paper. Script turned the newspaper over to the front page and stopped dead when he read the following headline: “New Consort Raped after Gala.” Under it, there was a picture of the cellist, his father, and a crystal pony.

“Daddy?” little Cloud asked. “What’s wrong?”

Ignoring his daughter, he quickly read through the article. “Oh no,” he whispered. “Cloudy,” he craned his neck over to his daughter. “I’m sorry but, we need to go the castle now. Grandpa needs help. So hold on tightly.”

Cloud View did, and her father galloped through the streets, bridges and alleyways; never stopping until they reached the castle. Going up to the guards, Script asked to see his dad. “I’m sorry sir,” one of them said. “But the prince doesn't want to have visitors at this time.”

“But I’m his son,” Script argued, putting her daughter down.

“I’m truly sorry, but we've been given orders that he shouldn't see anyone unless requested.”

“But my dad needs me,” as Script and the guards argued, the three of them didn't notice that Cloud View had sneaked her way around them and into the castle. Even for a two-and-a-half year old, she had been inside the castle enough times to know where she was going. After all, she was starting to learn fast when a month ago she’d learned how to speak properly.

She walked through the halls and even flew up the stairs a few times until she was on the floor where her grandpa’s room was. Occasionally she ducked or hid from whoever was passing by so she wouldn't be seen.

As she got closer to her grandpa’s room, she heard the sound of his violin. At first, it sounded sad, as if the violin was crying along with the violinist. Hearing this coming from her grandfather’s room, she started to wonder what could have happened that would make her own grandpa cry. She quietly walked closer to the door, trying to listen in as well as be aware of who might be around. She knew that without having an adult around, she still might get into trouble. Then, as soon as she got near to the door, the music suddenly turned wild and even more tragic. She flew up to reach the door handle to open it. And sure enough, the door wasn't locked. Pushing the door, she could see her alicorn grandfather, standing in front of his mantle with tears flowing down his cheeks attacking the violin with his bow.

“Grandpa?” the little pegasus asked as she entered. Her grandfather played on still, not taking notice that she was even there. She got closer still, “Grandpa?” she asked a little louder. But still, Grandpa Harmonic didn't pay any attention to her. Now she was starting to get very worried, but also very scared. She had never seen him act like this before. She had seen him play the violin before, but the way he was playing, and how loudly, and with the ugly notes he was playing faster and faster, how could she be anything but frightened? Going from low to high and back again, and then suddenly, the music became disfigured, as if her grandpa had forgotten how to play the violin. This went on for a moment until Cloud View said: “Grand-”

“WHAT!?” Harmonic and a string on his violin snapped. It was so unexpected, so frightening to the little foal that she began to cry herself. The prince blinked a few times to realize, to his horror, who was in the room with him. “Cloudy, I-I-I’m so sorry. I’m sorry; I didn't know you were there. Please don’t cry.” He put down his violin and hugged his granddaughter. Harmonic kept on apologizing until his granddaughter stopped crying.

“Cloudy, what are you doing here?” he asked. “How did you get in?”

“Daddy got scared,” Cloud explained as best as her speech could. “Daddy and guards are fighting now. I came in to find you. Why you crying grandpa? Have you got a owie?”

Harmonic chuckled, gave the filly a sad smile. “An owie Cloudy? I think I do in a way.”

“Where does it hurt?” Her grandfather tilted his head, asking what she meant by that. “Mommy gives me kisses on my owies to make them feel better. Can I kiss the owie to make it feel better?”

‘Little Cloudy,’ Harmonic thought, trying his best to hold back his laughter. ‘Your logic is adorable.’ “Cloudy, dear, that’s kind of ya. But I don’t think it’s something you can kiss away.”

“Why?”

The prince took a deep breath, “You see, my feelings are hurt Cloudy. I let somepony I cared for very much get hurt by another pony. And I wasn't there to help him when he needed me most. But I was the one who caused it.” Harmonic held his head down, scolding himself. “I wish I wasn't so stupid enough to let it happen at all.”

“Grandpa, why are you being mean to you?”

“Huh?”

“Mommy or Daddy doesn't let me be mean to me, so why are you being mean to you?”

“Because-”

“Did you make the owie?”

Harmonic blinked, “Well no but-”

“Did you meant to make the owie?”

“No, but-”

“So why are you being mean to you?” Harmonic was stunned. Not just because he was left speechless, but this very young filly had bluntly told him the very question that he’s been avoiding all morning. But the little filly wasn't finished, “If you didn't make the owie, why you cry like you made it?”

“I… I don’t know,” Harmonic admitted.

“But do you know what you got to do?” the little filly asked. “You go to the pony who has the owie, and make his owie feel better.”

Her grandfather picked her up, hugging her. “Cloudy,” he said, “you have your other grandfather’s wisdom. Don’t ever lose it.”

“What’s wis-dom?” Cloud View asked innocently.

“I’ll tell you later, now come on, we need to find your dad.”

_*_

With the string on his violin repaired, he returned to where Whole Note was staying – carrying the violin case on his back. After going up to the front desk asking to see his consort, a nurse volunteered to showed him to the room.

“How’s he been doing?” Harmonic asked the nurse.

“Ever since he’s woken up, he has talked about being sore. Emotionally he’s been crying off and on, especially with his interview with the police and the doctors. Also, I've heard him asking where your highness was this morning.”

“Yeah, I do have some explaining to do,” the prince nodded.

“Word of advice, be mindful around him for the time being. He’s been sensitive since...” the nurse paused to think carefully about what she was going to say. “The incident from last night. But I suppose that you being around may help.” She showed the prince to Note’s room. The first thing he saw was Note on the bed, using the little fordable piece of wood as a desk for writing something down.

“Excuse me, Whole Note,” the nurse said getting the cellist's attention. “You have a visitor.”

“Harm?”

“Hey Note,” Harmonic went over to his bedside, giving Note a sad smile as he put the case down. “I think I owe you a bit of an apology and an explanation.”

“Yeah,” Note agreed. “Where were you this morning? I did see you come in with me as well as staying by my side last night.”

“To tell ya the truth. I hardly slept last night since I've only gotten a few hours of sleep. So around five or six, I went home because… I was blaming myself for what happened to you.”

“I don’t quite understand.”

“You see, if I hadn't forgotten my bow, none of this would've happened. For the first few hours, I kept beating myself up for letting this happen in the first place.”

“Harm, don’t.” Note hugged Harmonic’s neck, “Don’t do this to yourself. You didn't know what would happen in the first place.”

“I know, for being over forty, I can be a real idiot at times can I? Anyway, I've gotten so depressed that I didn't want to see anypony. That was until my granddaughter snuck past the guards and into my room. And for being two, she helped me back down to earth and told me that I shouldn't feel so guilty over it. After all, I didn't caused the owie.”

“What?”

Harmonic blushed in embarrassment. “The point is that both of you are right. I should be concern about you, so, how are you doing now?”

“Well… The doctors gave something for, uh – b-being sore. I have been interviewed by police and doctors alike. Being asked about… Y-You know.” Note went silent for a moment. “I've ne-never thought my first time would end up like that.” Harmonic could see his consort’s eyes beginning to water.

“Hey,” Harmonic said softly, but Note didn't hear it. “Hey,” he reached out a hoof, touching his chin to lift his head up. “The pony who’s done this will get what’s coming to him soon. I've been informed that he’s going to be tried in the Crystal Empire. As of now, he’s not going to walk away without some kind of punishment. As far as I've been told, there’s enough evidence against him as it is.”

“Yeah but… To be, taken like that…” Now Note was crying again, “I can’t help but feel… worthless.” Harmonic hugged him.

“Not to me,” he told him softly. “You have brought me back so much happiness that I haven’t felt in years. You saved me from thinking nopony would love me again after Color. That I won’t find anypony like him. But you've proved me wrong. That alone you’re worth more than my crown because you’d decided to give me a chance to love again. Note, I can say this sincerely, you've made me fallen in love with you. You’re not worthless at all.” Note didn't say anything other than hugging him back. For several minutes, Harmonic let him cry on him. His eyes drifted to the paper on the piece of wood, it was unfinished sheet music. The prince made a mental note to asking him about it.

After several minutes of crying, Whole Note let go of the alicorn. “Look,” Harmonic said: “If there’s anything you want me to do, just ask away.”

“Do you think you could get my parents up here?” Note asked.

“I think so, besides, from what Script has told me, the incident has become a headline in the news so your parents would most likely hear about it and be worried about you. But I will send out a request for them to come to Canterlot nevertheless.”

“Thanks.”

“What’s that?” Harmonic asked, turning his consort’s attention to the sheet music.

“Oh, that. I've gotten bored so I writ-wrote-I've wrote-(Blach!) Sorry, I've written this because I was board.” The cellist gave Harmonic the little manuscript. It was written for the cello and done in mostly sixteenth notes in G major. “It’s just a little something to keep, it, off my mind.” His consort added.

“I’m curious of how it would sound,” Harmonic lit up his horn, unlocking his case and taking out his violin. “You mind if I try my hoof at playing it?”

“But it’s not finished.”

“So?”

“And it’s not written for the violin.”

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Harmonic smirked, levitating the hoofwritten manuscript. Putting the violin under his chin, he started to play the first few bars of Note’s music. Every now and then he’d stop, “This is really complicated,” he muttered.

“Heh, I know.” His consort admitted, blushing. “I do tend to lean towards the old Braeoque style music. But I think it’s beautiful though.”

Harmonic did as best as he could, missing some notes here and there before giving the manuscript back to him. “You’re right,” Harmonic told him. “It is missing something.”

“Yeah,” Whole Note nodded. “I think it might take me a while.”

_*_

“All rise,” the bailiff called out to everypony in the crystal courtroom. Princess Cadence entered as well as twelve other crystal ponies that went to their seats. Cadence told the court to sit except for Quill Feathers.

“So,” Cadence said turning to the twelve ponies. “Has the jury reached its verdict?”

“We have your highness,” a yellow stallion said. “We the jury, in regards to Quill Feathers, have found him guilty of rape while being under the influence.”

There were whispers and mutterings in the room. Harmonic heard his consort sighing in relief.

“Order,” Cadence called out. “Quill Feathers, having been tried and being found guilty by a jury of your own peers, do you have anything to say before I pass sentence on you?”

Quill, looked around the room, he spotted the prince in the audience along with the cellist. Both Quill and Note looked at each other for a moment. Note seemed uneasy while Quill’s expression was unreadable.

“No,” Quill answered Cadence. “I think that everything that needs to be said has been said.”

“In that case,” Cadence said, closing her eyes. “I hereby sentence you, Quill Feathers, to be banished out to sea. You shall be taken to the middle of the ocean where you shall be put on a small raft with only a few days of food and water, where you shall drift alone for the rest of your days. While there, you shall get no aid from any vessel from any nation. For you shall be at the mercy of the elements. And since the pain that you've caused to Whole Note physically and psychologically, that has required him to spend some time at the hospital. As well as a year’s worth of psychological therapy, I further order that any relatives you have will contribute into paying the bills until fully paid. This case is close.” She banged the gavel, adding: “Guards, take him away.”

Two armored guards lead Quill Feathers out of the courtroom; Harmonic and Note left the courtroom and headed towards where Cadence said to meet them. She told that after all the courtly proceedings she would meet them in the dining room of the palace.

When they got there, they found not only Cadence but also Shining and Flurry. Shining was much, much older, his blue mane now a pale blue, he had wrinkles all over, and could barely walk without having some assistance to do so.

“Hey you two,” Cadence gave them a nod. Whole Note went up to Cadence, hugged her, and thanked her.

“Hey Uncle,” Flurry Heart went up and nuzzled Harmonic. “How’s it going?”

“Getting better as far as I can see, at least Note is recovering.”

“Oh good,” Flurry nodded. “How long are you and Note staying in the Empire for?”

“We were thinking of going home tomorrow, why?”

Flurry shared her uncle a grim look. “It’s about dad,” she lowered her voice. “I don’t think he has much time now.”

“How much do you suppose?” Harmonic asked, lowering his voice as well.

“I don’t know, a few days perhaps.”

“What are you two talking about?” an elderly voice of Shining asked.

“Nothing much dads,” Flurry replied. Seeing that Note was still talking with Cadence, Harmonic went over to Shining.

“How’s it been?” Harmonic asked.

“Other than I have a few days ‘til I kick the bucket, I’m doing great.” The aged prince joked. “Have you heard anything from Twilie?”

“Not much really,” Harmonic shrugged. “All I know is that she just came back from Coltbet from some diplomatic meeting. I can’t say what’s really going on with her though. We haven’t talked in awhile.”

“I see,” Shining nodded. “Are you going to stay for the funeral? The whole empire is preparing for my death for a while. They even have my tomb ready.”

Harmonic blinked, “For someone who’s dying you’re sure taking this in stride.”

Shining laughed, “I know I’m still mortal. They know it as does everypony in the empire. And you’re telling me as if I shouldn't take this in stride; as if I should be afraid to die.”

“Well, are you?”

He shook his head, “The only time when one isn't afraid to die is when knows that it’s been coming all along. Cadence knew this when she married me remember? And besides, are you going to stay? I think that Cade and Flur would need someone to help them through the grief that’s coming.”

Harmonic craned his neck over to Cadence, Note, and Flurry. “We’ll stay for your guys’ sake.”

“Good,” Shining nodded. “And one last thing I want to talk to ya about, how are things between you and Note?”

“He’s getting better; he still goes to therapists and sometimes cries a little. But other than that, I've been helping him compose lately.”

“Composing what?”

“Well, just a few orchestra and solo pieces here and there; giving him some pointers and suggestions.”

“What about dating wise?”

“We’re seeing each other a little more often. Once it was only on Thursdays, now it’s three or even five times depending on what’s going on. We still practice with the orchestra on our usual days. He’s a gentle guy and his creativity can really be incredible if you’d let him.”

“In other words, going well?”

“Yeah,” Harmonic nodded, “very good.”

Two days later, Prince Shining Armor died in his sleep. Of course, the royal family along with the empire was in attendance for the expected state funeral. Harmonic, as well as Celestia and Luna, did as best as they could to comfort Cadence and Flurry Heart, as well as Twilight who stayed silent most of the time she was there. However, her most trusted assistant Spike did as best as he could.

But there was only so much time that they could spend in the Empire before returning back to Canterlot. On the train home, Harmonic noticed that for a while, Note had been staring out of the window at the passing landscape.

“Something on your mind?” the prince asked.

“Hm? Oh, yeah, I've been thinking.”

“About?”

Note turned to Harmonic, “You do realize that I’m going to die one day too right?”

Of course, the prince was taken by surprise with this question. “Note, what’s all this about?”

“I was just thinking, what’s the point in living forever if the ponies you love would die in the end? I mean, after one death is one thing but to keep seeing everyone that you love die off, don’t you think that you might want to stop loving all together?”

“I don’t think so,” Harmonic shook his head. “Do you honestly think that for ponies that have been divorced once or twice, they would really stop falling in love with another pony? I think that all ponies deserved to love and be loved. I don’t think that death would really stop you. After all, there’s a reason why the phrase: ‘Love is the most powerful force on earth,’ exists you know.”

“Maybe, but…” Note thought for a moment, trying how to phrase his question. “W-Would you still be aby-able (sorry) to fall in love again if- no, when I’m gone?”

“I think it’ll be difficult at first,” Harmonic leaned in, kissing his consort on the cheek. “But as you showed, it is difficult, but not impossible.”

Note was silent for a moment when suddenly an idea hit him, “Hey Harmonic?”

“Yeah?”

“Remember that if there’s anything that I wanted, I could just ask you?”

“What about it?” Harmonic asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I have something, b-but you’d got to hear me out.”

“Kay, I’m listening.”

Note took in a deep breath, “Harmonic, would you take me to Cremona?”

Harmonic’s jaw dropped, “I-I-I’m sorry, maybe I didn't hear that right, but you want to go, where?”

“The place you were born,” Note clarified. “Can you take me to Cremona?”

“But, why there?” Harmonic asked. “I mean, you could have asked me to take you to a war-torn country and I won’t have blinked an eye at it. But still, out of all the places in the world you could ask me to take you, why Cremona of all places?”

“Two reasons: first, when was the last time you've been there?”

Harmonic blinked, “Last time… It was… It was back when I and Color were dating. But that was because I wanted to see my parents’ graves for the last time.”

“So don’t ya think that during all those years that maybe that town might have changed? And second, how can I know about a pony if I don’t know what kind of life they grew up in? I want to go there to see what you've seen. I think by going there would give me a better perception of you.”

“But, it might be dangerous.”

“Or maybe it won’t, after all, you haven’t been there in decades so it could have changed for all we know. I mean, have you tried to find out what’s been going on over there?”

Harmonic thought for a moment. “Alright, we’ll go. But on one condition: we have to let some guards follow us for the sake of our safety. After all, they weren't progressive in terms of couples like us when I was there last.”

Note nodded his head, “Deal.”

_*_

About a month later, though negotiations with his mother and some detective work of what has happened to the town from the last time he’d left, Harmonic, his consort, and four other guards were once again headed towards the icy north.

And like the last time he went, all six ponies were in disuse for safety reasons. Likewise for the fact that none of them were traveling up there in luxury so it didn't draw suspicion from the other ponies around. At least one thing they all could be thankful for while riding one of the public cars is that it had electric heating, unlike the cold outside.

The train zipped through forests, rivers, caves, towns, and mountains along the cold iron tracks. There was snow and ice, just as Harmonic would have predicted at this time of year in September.

Still, Harmonic wasn't exactly looking forward to this trip. Despite what bits and pieces he could gather of what had been going on in the past few decades, he was skeptical. The reason being that everything he’d found about what’d gone on in Cremona, he’d found in letters. These were letters that had been sent to him for the past few years, but he’d never read any of them because he held a grudge against the town. He still remembered his foalhood, the fire, and especially the last time he was there.

These letters said that the town has gone through a revolution and that they've wanted to see him. But the alicorn knew the North’s reputation of tricking ponies to their deaths.

“How much longer ‘til we get there?” Whole Note asked.

“This place looks familiar, so I don’t think we’re not too far now. Note, are you absolutely sure you want to do this?”

His consort nodded, “Yes, I think it might be good for you. Besides, maybe the town has changed.”

“Note, you don’t know this place as well as I do.”

“But those letters-”

“I don’t trust them. Look, I’m sorry but I had a very hard time growing up here. I just can’t accept the fact that this town has changed at all.”

“But isn't it true that everything changes if one gives it enough time?”

“Cremona!” the train conductor called out. “This stop is Cremona. Population: 1,137. The time now is 3 o’clock.” The train slowed down, revealing the town itself. Compared to the last time he was here, the town had certainly gotten bigger. But when the train made a full stop, he noticed something right away, something missing.

“Huh, that’s odd,” Harmonic commented.

“What?” Note asked, looking out the window.

“The last time I was here, the gallows were right there,” he pointed to the empty space of cobblestones. “But now they’re gone, maybe they've been moved.”

“Well come on, let’s see what’s become of this place.” He, his consort and the four guards picked up their personal belongings and stepped out in the cold air.

“Yep,” the hidden prince nodded. “Just as cold as I remembered it.” Harmonic chuckled to his private joke, and he turned to his consort. “Do you want to know where I used to live?”

“S-Sure,” Whole Note shivered. “As long if it’s warmer than out here.” Harmonic lead the way, trying his best as he could remember to navigate through the twisted streets with ponies this way and that until Harmonic stopped. The prince stopped because outside of what used to be his home, covered in snow and icicles, there was a bronze sculpture. It wasn't so much for the fact that Harmonic has never seen this statue from his last visit, rather it was what the sculpture was that made him stop. It was a sculpture of three ponies: a full grown stallion, mare, and a foal; the stallion was carving a piece of wood but like the mare, they were looking at the foal playing the violin – an alicorn foal that was playing the violin.

His consort, along with the guards quickly took notice of this. Whole Note went up to the base of the statues was a little plaque. “The Genius, the Mother and the Innocent Foal. May They Have Eternal Rest.” It was a memorial.

“They made a statue out of me?” Harmonic asked. “But… why? Why would they do this?”

“Perhaps the answer lies in there.” One of the guards pointed to the building behind the statues. It was Harmonic’s home with the sign: “Trotivari Inn & Museum.”

Entering the building, Harmonic saw that it was no longer the part pub, part inn the last time he was here. But upon entering, if it weren't for some of the glass cases, scorch portraits and some of the other ponies around, he’d say that he’d somehow stepped back in time. All around him there were tools, carved woods and string instruments that still hung from the rafters.

“Hello,” a young mare went up to the group. “Welcome to the Trotivari Inn & Museum. Can I help you with anything?”

“Uh yes,” Harmonic answered. “The six of us are looking for a place to stay for the night, do you have any room?”

“Let me go look and see...”

As the mare trotted off to look at the guest book, Whole Note went up to the prince. “Was this place always a museum?”

Harmonic shook his head, “No. It wasn't the last time I was here. It’s really weird to see my old-”

“Good news,” the mare came back with the book and a pen in her aura. “We, in fact, do have room for all of…” the mare trailed off, this raised a few red flags in Harmonic’s mind. “I’m sorry sir, but you seem familiar, have we met?”

“Uh, no?”

“You sure? You seem really familiar to…” the mare looked to the side and her eyes widened. Harmonic turned to see what she was looking at. It was the family portrait, with him in it. Turning back to the mare, she was looking back and forth between him and the painting. “Um… sir,” the mare said with uneasiness in her voice. “Can I see what your cutie mark looks like?”

“Uh…” Harmonic stepped back to his guards. “W-Why would you want to see it for?”

“I just want to be sure of something.”

“Be sure? Of what?” Note could see that his lover was beginning to sweat.

“It’s probably nothing, but can you raise that cloak of yours just in case.”

“In case of-” The mare’s horn glowed a pink light as she raised the prince’s cloak off of him, quickly giving a sharp gasp. His wings now exposed, Harmonic grew pale, memories that about his early days came rushing back to him as the ponies in the reconstructed workshop turned to look at him.

‘No. No. No no.’ Harmonic thought as he hid behind his guards, but the ponies around him approached with wide eyes. ‘Nonono, please no! Not again!’ the prince screamed in his head.

“Fleet,” the mare called out, “Get the mayor!” a pegasus rushed out of the museum. By now, a whole crowd was circling around the six stallions. “Is it him?” one of them muttered. “He’s come back?” said another.

“Look at the cutie mark!” the mare said. “And he’s an alicorn, it has to be!”

“Don’t any of you dare touch him!” the Cellist threatens the crowed. “If any of you so much as mess a single feather on him, I will personally end you!”

The crowed blinked. “Hurt him?” the mare asked. “Why would we hurt him?”

This response made every gear in Harmonic’s head as well as Whole Note’s come to a grinding halt. “Huh?” all six stallions asked in complete confusion.

Five minutes later, a white earth pony stallion came into the museum. His mane was gray and wore glasses over his bright red eyes. When he saw the alicorn, he shook his head a few times in disbelief. “H-Harmonic?” he asked as he approached the six stallions. “Harmonic Trotivari, it’s you! It’s really you isn't it?” he went up and to the dumbfound prince, he shook his hoof. “It’s such an honor meeting you in the flesh. I’m Quick Wit, the current mayor of this town.”

“Okay, stop it,” Harmonic commanded. “What’s going on here? And why is everypony here being… nice?”

The mayor blinked, “What do you mean? Haven’t you read any of the letters we've sent you? I myself have tried writing to you for the past few years.”

“I have… recently,” Harmonic sheepishly said. “But I've been ignoring them since this place brought up some… bitter memories.”

“Oh… I've thought as much. Still, it’s a huge honor having you here.” Wit craned his neck over to the other stallions, “Friends of yours?”

“In a way, these four are some of my guards. This one…” Harmonic paused; he wasn't too sure about how these ponies would react to them knowing about his consort. “Is somepony who’s dear to me. His name is Whole Note.”

“Ah,” Wit went up to each of them, shaking hooves. Coming up to Note, he said to him, “You must be his new consort aren't you?”

“U-Uh…” Note’s nervous eyes widened.

“Not to worry,” the mayor ensured him. “Come, I’ll take all of you to dinner. I’ll explain everything.”

As Mayor Wit leads the six stallions out of the museum, Note leaned over to Harmonic. “How did he know about the whole consort thing?” he whispered.

“I’m not quite sure,” Harmonic whispered back. “But be on your hooves though, he might seem nice, but knowing this place it could turn ugly quickly. So keep your eyes open.”

The mayor led them to a building that over it has the sign: “The White Oak.” The first thing they saw inside was the wooden kegs, a stony fireplace, plates of roasted or boiled vegetables, and a large roomful of eyes looking at them.

After being sat down to a table, Mayor Wit ordered some food and drinks for them. Then Quick Wit explained the past twenty years of the town. He’d explained that ever since the railroad had connected the town to the outside world, they've gotten new books and ponies coming in and out of the town. These visitors would talk about life down south, with its ideas, laws, and customs. At first, the elder ponies didn't like these visitors, saying that it would corrupt the young.

“They'd even tried to outright ban these books as well as warn whoever came to avoid anyone who isn't serving them under penalty of death. But this ended up backfiring.”

“How so?” Note asked.

“That these new ideas should be valued over superstition. These visitors shared them with waiters, maids, ponies who do the laundry, innkeepers and so on. And from there, these ideas spread like wildfire. You might say it was the spark for the Enlightenment movement here. So anyway, the elders tried to suppress anyone or anything that deemed as a ‘threat’ to tradition. Of course, there were some hangings along the way, but that only got more of the town curious as to what they were dying for. A few years later, in this very pub too, the revolution began. I was only out of colthood myself when it happened, but these brave revolutionaries planned to overthrow the elders along with banishing every law and custom so that they rebuild this town biased on reason and kindness. As you can see, that is exactly what happened.”

“But that still doesn't explain why no one is throwing stones at me,” Harmonic commented.

“Aw yes, that,” Wit nodded his head. “After the revolution, we encouraged free information to come into the town, allowing foreign newspapers and such to come right in. It is from these that we've found out about you and your sad beginning in our town. So, we decided to do our own research as to what really happened that night. We've found from several sources of diaries and journals that proved that you were indeed telling the truth. Harmonic, many mayors tried to invite you back here many times so we could apologize to you face to face. We've commissioned those statues and we've tried to rebuild your family’s workshop as best as equinitly possible, because what our fathers and grandfathers have done to you is inexcusable. There’s no question about it. What we've done to that innocent colt like you, alicorn or not, should have never happened. Your Highness, on behalf of the town, we’re truly, truly sorry.”

Whole Note, the four guards, and the mayor looked at the prince. Although his consort could see that his love was trying to hold back his tears, he nodded and quietly said. “Thank you. Those are the words I thought I would never hear coming from a town like this. Although, I have to ask, how did you know about my consort?”

“I told you,” Wit said relieved, “from newspapers. I must admit, many of us were shocked that you… (Oh how do I say this?)…. Trot that way. It took us many years to come around, but eventually we came back to reason in that there wasn't anything wrong about it. In fact, the town committee is putting together a few laws to protect and to give rights to ponies such as you for our children and future citizens.”

“What sort of laws?” one of the guards asked.

“The rights and protections of homosexual ponies,” Wit answered. “With these laws, not only will ponies have the option to marry someone that of the same gender as well as to adopt (as long as they don’t abuse the foals). It also puts in place that parents who throw out their children because they are gay under the age of twenty-one will be charged with foal abuse. Denying another pony for the same reason of service or housing will have to pay a fine of a certain amount. And those who abuse or mistreat another pony base on sexuality will hold accountable. These are the same ideas that Equestria has, no?”

“And you don’t mind that I’m dating him?” Whole Note asked pointing to the prince.

“In this town, as long as there’s no abuse we would leave you alone.”

Harmonic smiled. ‘Looks like this town did grow up after all.’

_*_

After having dinner with the mayor, the prince had two requests for him. In that being that he would like to spend the night at his old home, which was granted. The other being that he would like to have two bouquets of flowers in the morning to put on his parent’s graves.

Harmonic spent the rest of the evening recalling memories, both good and bad with Note. Telling him about the family cat, the instruments his father made, the songs his mother sung, and the very spot where he earned his cutie mark.

When it came the time to go to bed, they headed upstairs. Harmonic was curious about his old room and if the town tried to recreate it. When they opened the door, Whole Note thought for a moment that Harmonic was about to cry. “It’s… It’s like how I remember it,” he whispered. The room was small. It had a bed big enough for two ponies, a few wooden toys with a ball, an oil lamp, a small iron stove, and on the wall over his bed were two little portraits of his parents along with pieces of information on the walls. Harmonic put his violin case on the floor and went straight to the toys.

“I remember these,” Harmonic said, picking up one of the toys with his magic. Note went up to him. “And these aren't recreations either. Look! All of them have burn marks! I can’t believe these survived the fire. Oh, and this,” Harmonic picked up the ball. It was dark red and it looked like it was made out of solid rubber. “I used to play with this for hours, bouncing on the walls and the floor. Of course, it broke a few windows but what fun this thing was!”

The prince turned to his consort, he was smiling. “What?”

“Nothing, it’s just you, seed-see- (blah!) seemed to act like a little colt for a moment.”

“Oh,” Harmonic sheepishly blushed. “Sorry.”

“No no, I get it. It’s just I think it’s amusing.” Neither Harmonic nor Note said anything for a moment.

“Note,” the prince said breaking the silence. “I want to say, thank you for convincing me to come back here. And you were right, this town did grow up.”

The cellist smiled, and he leaned over to kissed Harmonic on the cheek. “You’re very much welcome.”

_*_

Three years after the trip of what would become an annual visit to the icy north, three years after it was announced that Whole Note was the prince’s consort, Harmonic felt that it was time.

The Royal Equestrian Orchestra, the week before Hearth's Warming would put on a concert for the public before the musicians would be dismissed until January. They would play the usual carol arrangements and a piece or two of classical music. But every year, one of the members in the orchestra, who has never played a solo, would get their chance to play in front of a live audience.

It was always done near the end of the concert when the solos would be played. For Harmonic, he had to pull on some strings to make sure that what was about to happen went right. Oh sure, he had to bribe Pitch Perfect into picking who would be playing, but after explaining what for, he agreed.

“Mares and Gentlecolts,” Pitch Perfect announced to the audience. “As a tradition, every year, I would decide somepony from the orchestra to do a solo piece in which they've never gotten the chance to before. I announce that this year’s lucky winner is the cellist, Whole Note!”

Note looked up in surprise, wondering if he’d heard that right. The nearby members urged him to step forward.

“Just a moment!” Harmonic called out, “Uh Note, before you do anything, I’ll allow you to play, but not on that instrument.”

There was confusion in both the orchestra and the audience. “W-What do you mean?” Note asked.

“I mean this,” Putting the tip of his hoof in his mouth, he whistled loudly. “Alright colts, bring it out!” he called out. The doors opened, and down the aisle came some of the Royal Guard, pushing a cello case that was chained to a cart. The guards moved the cart to the very front of the stage in which the case was unchained and put onto the stage. Completely confused, Whole Note along with Harmonic went right up to the case.

“I want you to do your solo on this,” the prince said as he unlatched the case. Opening it up to a beautiful red cello, Harmonic turned to his consort, “Note, I’m giving you two early Heath's Warming presents. This is your first present.” The alicorn picked the cello up with his magic, “I have spent months upon months searching through private collections and auction houses to find this.”

“Why did you do that?” Note questioned.

“Look at the label inside,” the cellist did.

There in the stage light, he saw a name. “Oh my dear Celestia!” he cried out. “Is this… is this, real?!”

Harmonic nodded, “Yes, this is one of my father’s cellos. His last known red cello in existence and I’m giving it to you.”

In shock, Note covered his mouth with both of his hooves. “Oh no, Harmonic I shouldn't! I-I-I don’t know if I should even touch it!”

“But isn't it your dream to own a cello of your very own? A Trotivarius? Well, here it is, ready for you to play on it.”

Eventually, Note sat down in his chair, now in front of everypony. In his right hoof was his bow, and in his left, he held the cello that he’d thought he’d never get in his lifetime. The entire theater was silent now, waiting for him to play something. Whole Note put his bow to the strings, he tested a few notes; listening to the rich, deep and clear sound that rang out.

It was then; inspiration came to him of what he should play. The music he wrote years ago came to mind. Music that he’d played on his rented cello many times in private but never in public.

Taking a deep breath, closing his eyes, he put his bow to the strings, and began to play. In the key of G major, his bow and left hoof danced from one string to the next. The rich rings of the low notes complimented those of the higher notes. Yet both higher and lower strings were not only balancing with each other, but they danced in the theater. Like a pegasi ballerina, the music moved with grace though the air in absolute elegance. With a song that used up all four strings on that priceless instrument.

In Whole Note’s mind, there was one thing that came to mind; his muse for creating this piece. He remembered about the day before he wrote it when he was dancing with Harmonic at that Grand Galloping Gala all those years ago. For at that moment his love made him his consort before he gave him his first kiss. His heartbeat set the tempo at which his music was set to. Scaling up and down at such grace to his ears, each and every note was perfect; so absolutely perfect.

The cellist opened his eyes, in the darkened theater, he couldn't find a single pony who wasn't watching him. Listening with their ears perked up, completely hypnotized at the sound of the Trotivarius he was playing. Note gave a peaceful smile. He daydreamed back to all these years he’s been with the prince. Back to the dates he’s been on, the meeting of family members, seeing the most beautiful places of Equestria with Harmonic beside him, he remembered. He remembered the sandy beaches, the lakes, the sandwiches of cafés, the ice skating, the previous holidays that he’d shared with the prince.

Note couldn't help but shed a few tears, not because out of sadness, but the music and his memories expressed that of pure joy. Now with the finale coming up, the cellist used every skill he had to have his front hooves dance on two strings. He still played a melody while using an open string to ring out a kind of beat. A melody that went higher and higher getting incessantly intense, but as high as he went, he came back down again. But even this his notes went higher and higher until the music exploded in joy. Repeating the earlier theme, he finished while playing the last two notes on two different strings at the same time.

“Brava!” someone cried out. Note opened his eyes to find not only was the audience applauding, so was the orchestra. Even the conductor joined in the thunderous approval. But when the applause died down, Harmonic made his way over to the cellist.

“That was brilliant,” he told him. “But I still have to give you one more present. Something that’s more valuable than the cello.” Whole Note was completely taken aback, what could possibly be more valuable than a cello made by his father? Then, in front of everyone, Harmonic sat down on his haunches right in front of him. “Whole Note, for Hearth's Warming I want to give you something that would express my gratitude and my love for you. I only wanted to give you this only when I knew it was the right time. Until I was sure that you were the one who I can be with every day at my side. Tonight, I am certain that I shall give you this.” Taking in a deep breath, Harmonic said: “Whole Note,” he unfolded his wings, in which one of them held a golden ban, “would you please marry me?”

In Note’s ears, he heard a sound that was the mix of “Ooh!” and gasps with some talk that he couldn't make out. He could have sworn that he could hear his own heartbeat skipping a few beats. Still sitting in the chair, his eyes widen and his jaw dropped in shock.

Then the theater went quiet. It was as if the whole world was waiting on the cellist now. After taking in a few deep breaths himself, he lifted his hoof to him. Harmonic saw a smile on his lover’s face.

“Yes, my Prince.”

Harmonic leaped up and hugged the earth pony. The audience applauded once again as the prince whispered in his ears. “Thank you. Thank you, my King.”


One week later...

Author's Note:

The End.

So what do all of ya think?
That is, if none of you won't mind. :fluttershyouch:

Comments ( 16 )
Comment posted by Dark starlight deleted Feb 12th, 2015

So sorry about that. The ending was quite Disney like and fluttery. liked how his old home town was revisited and seemingly modern-day like. Still a good sequel

5623301 Hmm... Fair enough, but I was trying to find something to being to an end to this story. It's been fun, but as they say, all good things must come to an end.

5623541 yeah, still good job mang

"rapping a royal consort while being under the influence.”
raping* heh. Also wouldn't the rape be enough to have him be guilty? Note being a royal consort shouldn't really affect the sentence.
privet >_< no.

I hereby sentience you, Quill Feathers, to be banished out to sea. You shall be taken to the middle of the ocean where you shall be put on a small raft with only a few days of food and water, where you shall drift alone for the rest of your days.

Wow. That's really brutal. I expected a harsh prison sentence, not a death sentence.

5625530 Hmm... Point taken. I've already changed the wording a wee bit.

5625534 You could blame Tharwin1800 for that. Since he was the only one who voiced out.

God damn that was a ride. A certain wonderful, gut-wrenching, tear jerkingly beautiful ride from start to finish. Watching Color pass was like Wash from Firefly all over again.
You are one of three people to have ever made me cry. It truly is sad to see it conclude.

5942559 Who were the other two?

5942773 The Tenth Doctor when he regenerated, and my grandfather when he passed away.

5944010 ...I have only ever truly cried once in my 14 years of living until today... I say, Bravo sir, bravo!

In all of my 14 years of life. I never felt so much emotion reading this series. I hope you continue these stories about harmonica.

6341306 Two things, his name is Harmonic. And two, as of now, I don't know if I could continue to write for Harmonic and Color at this point. Even if I do, I still don't know where to begin.

6341306 And as an afterthought, thank you.

This series was gutwrenchingly beautiful. Bravo, dear author, bravo.

While sad to see this series end, I'm glad you ended it on such a high note. A series like this could go on for a long time.

Of all the stories I have read on this site, only one other series has reduced me to a quivering mass of tears. (I'm such a softy.:rainbowlaugh:)

:eeyup:

Login or register to comment