• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 813 Views, 18 Comments

Bonds of Glory - Taialin



When Equestria is faced with a cataclysmic winter storm, it's up to Twilight to lead Ponyville to safety. Although she knows that her friends will be by her side, she does not know how much she'll need them … or how close she'll get to losing them.

  • ...
1
 18
 813

4. Hearth's Warming Day

Twilight sat in the throne room. She looked out the window, as she had done so many times before. Yet today, the sight that greeted her was different. The darkness had passed.

She saw the sky showing its beautiful colors after a week behind the dust. She saw the sun loosing its strong, gleaming rays to warm the earth, now making up for lost time. She saw the massive mountains of snow on the ground slowly shrinking.

She saw the strongest pegasi in Ponyville outside clearing the clouds to make room for more sun to come through. Twilight only allowed them to work for a few minutes before coming back, however. It was still quite cold outside, and it would take more time for the sun to finally take away the bite of the cold.

Most of all, she saw a normal winter day. A day that Equestria had been longing for ever since the asteroid struck.

"Aaugh! Sweet Tartarus, Fluttershy, that burns!"

Twilight's reverie was interrupted by Rarity's scream. Even though the worst of the cold had passed, it didn't go away without leaving some casualties. After Rarity had woken up, she found that the frostbite on all her extremities needed treating.

"I'm sorry, Rarity! It's the only way!"

Luckily, Fluttershy knew how to treat frostbite. She had a tub of warm water prepared that one of Rarity's hooves was soaked in. Slowly, the ice in Rarity's veins melted, restoring life to the frozen limb. Unfortunately, it was no painless process.

"I know, but ponyfeathers, it still really hurts!"

Fluttershy stroked Rarity's back gently while she twitched and tried to bear with the pain. Her face was contorted into a grimace, her teeth were clenched, and she was breathing heavily. Fluttershy lifted her head and asked Twilight a question.

"Do you know any painkilling spells, Twilight? I don't like seeing Rarity hurt like this."

As morbid as it was, Twilight was glad that Rarity was hurting. It meant she was feeling. Twilight would be far more worried if she wasn't hurting. Twilight smiled apologetically. "Sorry, Fluttershy, I don't. Unicorn doctors and nurses have to spend years training to learn those kinds of spells. Doctor Stable might know a spell like that, but he's very busy with other patients right now."

Fluttershy nodded silently. She gently placed another of Rarity's hooves into water, and hugged her tightly when she twitched in pain.

Twilight winced in empathy. They would be at this for a long time, it seemed. Twilight said, "Do you need anything else, Fluttershy? I have other things to do, but I need to know if you'll be okay first."

Fluttershy glanced at the pile of medical supplies beside her. She had gauze, towels, alcohol, salve, and splints at the ready. Addressing Twilight, she said, "I have everything I need. I'll be fine."

Nodding, Twilight turned her attention to the patient. "And you, Rarity? Will you be alright if I leave you here? Should I go find Doctor Stable to cast a pain spell on you?"

"No, Twilight dear, I'll be fine. Don't—augh!" Rarity gasped in pain as Fluttershy took one of her hooves out of the water and dried it off, preparing to wrap it in gauze. Rarity forced a smile. "Don't bother. The pain isn't t-too bad. Doctor Stable surely has more important patients to worry about than me."

Worried for her friend, Twilight moved to speak again. "But you're important to me, Rarity. I really think—"

"I'll be fine," Rarity said.

"But—"

"I'll be fine."

Twilight wanted to protest again, but was interrupted by Rarity's stare. Determined and unmovable, it offered no room for debate. Leave it to Generosity . . .

Sighing in defeat, Twilight nodded and exited the throne room.

Twilight made her way around the castle, entering rooms and visiting the ponies inside to make sure they were recovering from the ordeal they had all endured. Despite the fact that the dust had cleared, it was still too cold for most ponies to exit the castle. Taken along with the fact that many houses were damaged in the snowy weather, and Ponyville's residents were happy to stay inside the castle for the time being.

Of course, it could also have something to do with the temperature inside the castle, too. Even though the firewood had been depleted, the castle was still filled with a curious warmth that refused to recede.

Twilight eventually made it to the vestibule. As expected, she saw Rainbow and Applejack, among other ponies, zipping back and forth, ferrying water and medical supplies to the ponies most in need of them.

What she wasn't expecting was Pinkie Pie in middle of the room, serving cupcakes.

Confused, Twilight walked up to the impromptu cupcake stand Pinkie was standing behind and asked, "Uh, Pinkie, how did you find the means to make cupcakes? And for that matter, why?"

"Uh, duh!" Pinkie exclaimed, a bubbly smile on her face. It was as if the ordeal they had experienced never happened. "It's Hearth's Warming, silly! Everybody deserves a treat this time of year! Did you forget?"

Twilight blinked. "Oh."

Pinkie gasped. "You did!"

Twilight grinned sheepishly. "Sorry, Pinkie. It's just that so much has been going on these past few days. I guess Hearth's Warming just slipped my mind."

Unfazed, Pinkie just grinned again. "Well, that just means we'll have to party twice as hard!" Reaching underneath her booth, she inexplicably produced another tray of cupcakes.

Twilight stood in place, dumbfounded, waiting for her brain to catch up. Did Pinkie just . . . She shook her head.

"Hi, Mrs. Cake!" Pinkie said, addressing the other pony who had just walked up to her booth. "Want a cupcake?"

"Oh, don't mind if I do, Pinkie!" Mrs. Cake said, picking up a green and red sprinkled cupcake and biting into it. Swallowing, she said, "Delicious! Thank you, Pinkie."

"You're welcome, Mrs. Cake!" Pinkie replied. "Happy Hearth's Warming!"

"Oh!" Mrs. Cake's eyes widened in surprise. "I forgot all about that. I've just spent so much time worrying about Pound and Pumpkin that I haven't taken the time to think about what time of year it is. I forgot about everything else." She shrugged, and smiled. "Oh well. Happy Hearth's Warming, Pinkie!" Cupcake in hoof, Mrs. Cake trotted away.

Pinkie turned back to Twilight. "You see? I've been getting that all day! Ponies have been so worried they haven't had time to celebrate the holidays." Pinkie tossed a cupcake to Twilight, who caught it in her magic. "Hearth's Warming might be just what Ponyville needs to cheer up!"

Thoughtfully, Twilight took a bite out of her cupcake. We all have been wound up very tightly these past few days, Twilight thought. She turned her gaze to the center of the vestibule. Splinters were still on the floor, remnants of a once-large pile of firewood. Without the pile, the giant room of the castle just seemed . . . empty.

And I know just what could fill it back up, Twilight thought. Speaking to Pinkie, she smiled, and said, "I think you might be on to something."

Rainbow Dash and Applejack were still busy ferrying things back and forth. Calling out to them, Twilight shouted, "Rainbow Dash, Applejack! I need your help with some moving!"


It is not an appropriate tree, Twilight's mind said. It was a deciduous, rather than the traditional conifer; it was completely dead; and it was far smaller that Twilight had wanted, given the size of the room she wanted to fill. Still, it was the only tree that she had access to.

Rainbow and Applejack had chopped down the small tree only moments before and dragged it inside the castle. Despite it being a bundle of branches only three ponies tall, it was about to become a Hearth's Warming tree.

"Let's go, girls," Twilight said. "Let's make this a Hearth's Warming tree to be proud of!"

With that, Twilight righted the tree into a large flowerpot and set it in the middle of the vestibule. She, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Applejack started decorating the tree with traditional Hearth's Warming ornaments . . . or, at least, the closest things she could find to traditional Hearth's Warming ornaments.

Eventually, other ponies, when they saw the tree, were also reminded of the holiday they almost missed and set to help decorate the tree. It wasn't long before the entirety of Ponyville was celebrating Hearth's Warming with their own little tradition.

On any other year, the ponies of Ponyville would have been in town hall, decorating a massive multi-story tree with colorful garlands, blown-glass ornaments, and small gifts. The underside of the tree would have been littered with hundreds of presents. Every year, the tree seemed to get larger and more spectacular.

As Twilight and her friends retreated, they surveyed the work they and Ponyville had done on their tree. It was slung with all manner of odds and ends, none of which could be called appropriate Hearth's Warming ornaments. There were emptied tins of food, bits of gauze, blankets, and even a couple cupcakes speared on the branches. The tree was nearly folded over by the weight of its accoutrements. Its underside was filled with nothing but broken twigs.

It was, by far, the ugliest Hearth's Warming tree Ponyville had ever made.

Twilight looked around. It seemed like every able pony in Ponyville had gathered around the tree to celebrate. Only the terribly injured and those tending to them, like Rarity and Fluttershy, were absent. Twilight addressed the crowd:

"Happy Hearth's Warming, Ponyville. I know that this tree isn't exactly like what we usually have," Twilight said, gesturing helplessly to the heap of things she was trying to pass off as a Hearth's Warming tree, "but I hope it's sufficient.

"Ponyville has gone through a lot, but this is something we've never experienced before. These past few days have been very hard. At the very least, this tree reveals the hardship we experienced to make it to this day, and that's something worth appreciating." Twilight smiled hopefully.

Ponyville cheered. Ponies stomped their hooves on the ground in applause. Some even bowed to Twilight, almost in thanks for the holiday. Twilight shuffled uncomfortably before speaking again.

"I know that Mayor Mare normally makes a speech this time of year about friendship in an attempt to curb the fighting that always happens." Chuckles rose from the crowd, and Twilight brought her eyes to where Mayor Mare was standing. She smiled sheepishly. "But I think this year, that's unnecessary. By the fact that we were able to chase away the cold, I think it's clear to see that the Magic of Friendship lives in all of us."

In the very back of the crowd, Twilight saw Fluttershy supporting Rarity as they walked slowly down the stairs. Twilight smiled brightly. It looked like Rarity had recovered enough to join the rest of Ponyville. Twilight gestured for Pinkie, Rainbow, and Applejack to follow her to the bottom of the stairwell. When Fluttershy and Rarity made it down, and their circle of friends reunited, they all joined in a group hug to the roaring applause of Ponyville behind them.

When they separated, Twilight turned to face the crowd and finish her speech. "We have no Hearth's Warming pageant. We have no Hearth's Warming banquet. We don't even have Hearth's Warming gifts."

Twilight looked at the ponies beside her: five ponies who would give their lives for hers, and for whom she would gladly do the same.

"Even so, I hope you all know what the most valuable gift in the world is."

Author's Note:

This project has been a very long time in the making, so I'm glad I can finally post it. I have a lot of people to thank that helped make this happen.


First, shiita64, who drew Twilight Sparkle - Quiet Determination, the cover art to this story and music.

Second, Nosnibormada for help mixing and mastering Bonds of Glory and my friend AJ (not Applejack) for pre-listening to the song.

Third, palaikai, Aimereta and an anonymous friend for editing and proofreading the story text itself.

Last, and most importantly, wingedalpha, the one whom I've worked with for the length of this project. We conceived of this idea together, and we collaborated on it for almost two months. This story and song would not exist without her help. If you feel like following me because you liked this story, toss a follow over to wingedalpha, too!

Comments ( 15 )

A touching holiday story.

Cold never bothered me anyway.

I see what you did there.

5421808 Hehe. :rainbowkiss: I swear, I don't plan these things! I just kind of stumbled on this plot point, and it was too fitting a reference to pass up!

In any case, thank you for reading!

I said I would leave you a review in exchange for the one you left me, but all I really have to say is wow, just.... wow! Your story is amazing! It was exciting, emotional, nerve-wracking, imaginative, and just so many other great things! I can't even think of any way to critique it, save to note that I found around a half-dozen assorted typos on account of my freaky-good typo-spotting abilities. Although, I suppose I could also just complain because you killed Fluttershy's little Angel bunny and that is just so, so sad :fluttercry:

Really though, you did a great job. I'd wish you luck like you did for me, but I don't think you really need it. In all honesty, if I place at all (and I would be most excited if I did), it would be an honor to come in second to you :twilightsmile:

5425596 Thanks a lot! As I said in the author's notes, this story has been a very long time in the making, so it feels nice to have it appreciated! I'm going on another editing run of the story right now, but if you happen to remember some of the typos you spotted, I'd really appreciate it if you sent me those by PM. I pride myself on good grammar, and typos annoy me as much as any other problem.

Well, I'm pretty sure I already mentioned how I feel about this one, but I'm gonna do it again: I think it's very possibly one of the most beautiful stories I've read ever, not just in terms of fanfiction in general or MLP: FiM in particular. It kinda feels like The Day After Tomorrow if it was done right, focusing on the human cost rather than nifty special effects (I like that film, by the way, so I hope that doesn't feel like an insult to you). It isn't just a story about relentless misery, though, it's about hope, and maintaining it even when the situation seems bleak.

The characters are true to themselves while you adapted them perfectly to this situation; Rainbow Dash and Twilight are the stars, of course, but everypony gets their moment. I would MAYBE have like to have seen some more realistic trauma to Rarity, but between Fluttershy's nursing skills and medical magic, it's reasonable to assume that all of her hooves are staying intact. That's just me looking for a dark side amidst all this light.

Also, again, kudos on nullifying Discord off the bat. Too many people forget that.

5437094 Yeah, I guess a week of straight frostbite would result in some permanent damage and tissue necrosis, right? :twilightsheepish: I know, I'm alright with hurting ponies, but I can't bear not giving them a "happily ever after" as well. After everything they've been through, I feel like it'd be downright cruel to leave Rarity forever maimed after almost dying in the first place. And I think the ending is more satisfying this way!

I've already screwed with health and physics a lot in this story, so screwing with it a little more shouldn't hurt, right? Especially if Rarity is happy at the end of it! :raritywink:

5437881

Well, Hiccup suffered a permanent injury and it didn't affect his happiness. :rainbowlaugh: But yeah, it would've been cruel to leave Rarity permanently afflicted by her injuries.

5437992 :twilightoops:Ah. Point taken.

In any case, Rarity might have made it out unscathed, that that doesn't mean all of them did . . . :fluttercry:

5438045

Oh, did I miss someone getting horribly killed? :scootangel:

5438098 No, that was the other version of the story. :pinkiecrazy:

This fic deserves a lot of praise. It's the product of an impressive collaboration of multiple individuals, it's about as grammatically sound as any fic can be, it's well paced and well-written in general. It obviously deserves a like and a favorite, both of which I'll gladly give it, and I don't usually read tragedy fan-fics, much less ones that are this heavy. To everyone involved with producing this, hat's off for a wonderful job well done! :scootangel:

5498679 Believe me, I don't usually write things that are this heavy! Tragedy is one of those genres that I thought I would never have the nerve to write about, but it just so happens that I happen to be rather good at making ponies cry. Toss in a bit of drama :raritycry:, garnish with a song, and there you go!

What a beautiful story.

This story easily made my top favorites list. Great job!!!

Login or register to comment