• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 2,968 Views, 28 Comments

Sunset Boulevard - Mani-Roar



When the Dazzlings defeat the Rainbooms in an ultimate battle of the bands, Sunset Shimmer will have to find the courage to fight back against their reign over Canterlot High.

  • ...
4
 28
 2,968

Chapter 3: Are You A Loser Or A Fighter?

Princess Celestia felt something bump against her hoof. She looked down at what appeared to be a poof ball of auburn and orange mane staring up at her. Sunset Shimmer was wearing her wool pajamas while barely managing to hold a hardback book in her mouth. The book was nearly the same size as the fuzzy filly.

"Sunset Shimmer," Celestia tried to muster up as much contempt as she could toward the her tiny student, but the smile on her face was betraying her. "I believe somepony was supposed to be in bed an hour ago."

"Mmeye knnt swmmmp wwul ywww rd mww muh smorry?" The poofy ball spoke with some difficulty.

"I'm afraid I can't understand you, dear. You’ll need to put the book down.” Sunset dropped the book from her mouth, letting it thud on the floor. A thin strip of saliva hung from Sunset’s mouth to the book. Celestia kneeled on her front hooves so that she could hear what the foal had to say. She gently wiped the saliva from Sunset’s muzzle with her hoof.

"I can't sleep. Will you read me a bedtime story?" Sunset smiled at the princess with a hopeful and crooked grin. Her eyes were glistening as if her whole world depended on receiving a bedtime story. Celestia pictured her advisors cautioning her to not let Sunset have everything she wanted. However, a bedtime story hardly seemed like it would be detrimental to Sunset Shimmer's development.

"Alright, I will read you one story and then it's straight to sleep with you."

Before Celestia could even finish, the little filly was jumping with joy at Celestia’s hooves.

“Story time, story time, story time.” a few white sparks ignited from the tip of Sunset’s horn. Celestia couldn’t help but giggle along with her. For a moment, the image of Sunset Shimmer was replaced by blue filly with a translucent mane. Celestia perceived it for only a flash before the image of Sunset returned to normal.

“Settle down, little one. You’ll never get to sleep if you stay all excited.” Celestia sat down and opened the book with her magic. Sunset nested in front of Celestia with her mane and horn just underneath Celestia’s chin. “Now which story did you want me to read?”

“The Princess and the Pauper,” Sunset gave no hesitation.

“That one again? I’m starting to think you have a new favorite or something. Are you sure you don’t want to try a new one?” Celestia flipped through the pages of the sizable compendium of fairy tales.

“No, no, that one, read that one,” Sunset shook her head back and forth swiftly.

“What do we say?” Celestia looked down at the wide eyed foal expectantly.

“Please,” Sunset held the word like a long note. She gave Celestia a wide smile that exposed her teeth and the grand princess of Equestria returned it with a sideways grin. She leaned over and gave Sunset a peck on the forehead.

“That’s my good girl,” She hadn’t even meant to do it. Her instincts just kicked in and she reacted. Sunset responded by nuzzling her head into Celestia’s neck.

“I love you mommy.”

Celestia’s eyes widened and she pulled away from Sunset. She never expected to hear that come from her student. Celestia’s sudden aversion to Sunset did not go unnoticed by the vulnerable foal.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, I just…” Sunset retreated from her teacher with her head lowered and her shoulders tucked. She looked like she was bowing. “I promise I won’t do it again.”

Celestia sighed as she looked at the disarming prostration of Sunset. She unfolded her wing and wrapped it around Sunset; pulling her back into Celestia’s embrace.

“It’s ok, my dear. You may call me ‘mommy’ if you desire.” Celestia could hear her advisors’ disapproval in her head.

Nonsense, Celestia assured herself. After all, everypony needs a mommy. Tonight mommy was going to read a bedtime story to little Sunset Shimmer and nothing else in Equestria could possibly matter.

****

Sunset wanted to explain her situation to principle Celestia but couldn’t find the words. She was paralyzed by Celestia’s intense stare. Celestia didn’t look at her like a student. She looked at her the way you would look at a problem; something that is blocking your way and needs to be set aside.

“It has been years since I’ve had to do what I need to do today.” Celestia opened the file cabinet under her desk and pulled out a manila file. She placed it on her desk and thumbed through the hand full of documents in it. Celestia sighed and rested her head on her hand.

“I really, truly don’t want to do this, but I’m afraid I may have no choice.”

Sunset fidgeted with the arm rests on her chair.

"You don't understand, we were only trying to help..." Celestia put her hand up and Sunset stopped.

"I don't want the details and don't want the excuses. I just want to know why. Why do you keep bringing this, this..." Celestia spun her finger in the air looking for the right word.

"This dark magic to our school? What could possibly be possessing you to do this?" Celestia looked concerned. It felt good to see even the slightest bit of empathy coming from her.

"Princess please, you have to believe me. It's the Dazzlings who are bringing the dark magic we were only trying too..." Celestia slapped the file closed the file on her desk.

"So you still insist on blaming others for the things you do. You deal with mysterious forces and endanger everyone around you without ever considering the consequences. But in the end it's never your fault, it's always someone else's fault isn't it?..." Celestia paused and looked puzzled.

"Did you call me 'princess' just now?"

"I, I, um... well..." Sunset fiddled with hair. Celestia waived it off with a hand wave.

"Never mind that... just please, please..." Celestia leaned in toward Sunset and let her voice drop to a more calm and soothing tone.

"Please don't make me do what I'm about to do. All I want is the truth."

Sunset bowed her head into her chest.

"Everything I've told you so far is true. Those Dazzling girls have a very powerful magic that the entire school, including yourself, have fallen victim to. Please, we can defeat them if only..." Celestia slammed her hands on her desk and stood up.

"How dare you," Sunset had never seen such an angry face from Celestia in any form. Even her old mentor withheld some of her rage when she was banished. A flash of green light flew across Celestia's fierce expression. Sunset felt fortunate that this Celestia didn't know any magic because she wasn't sure what the principle might do to her in this moment.

"Those girls have been nothing but pleasant and thoughtful since they arrived here. You have the audacity to attack them and then blame them for your actions?"

Sunset was completely helpless. the principle was so deep in the Dazzling's spell that nothing Sunset said could reach her.

"They told me what happened, and so did Flash Sentry. You convinced the other five girls that the poor Dazzlings were trouble and led those misguided children on a crusade against them. As much as it hurt me to do so, it is now apparent that some people are simply beyond redemption.”

Sunset wanted to say something, anything at all. Once again she unable to come up with a single word. Celestia’s verbal jabs hit her like icicles stabbing into her abdomen. The pain was so intense that she was worried she might breakdown in the principal's office.

“Sunset Shimmer, you are hereby expelled from Canterlot High School. I don’t ever want to see you on this campus again.” Celestia pointed to her office door.

To Sunset’s surprise, the inevitable statement didn’t hurt her the way she thought it would. In fact, as quickly as the pain had come from Celestia’s previous statements, she was astonished to notice that she felt nothing at all. It was as if she was incapable of feeling emotions of any kind.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself, young lady?” Celestia stood with her hands on her hips. Unable to even look at Sunset, she glanced at the clock on the wall instead.

“No,” Sunset’s reply was curt and flat. If the room had not been completely silent, her response would have most likely gone unheard. Sunset knew she should be concerned that she had shut down emotionally, but was unable to fell even any interest in that. It seemed as if the entire world was meaningless. To Sunset, walking off of a cliff in that moment wouldn’t have even registered as an inconvenience.

The trance of silence was broken by the office door opening and the sound of harmonious singing. The Dazzlings stepped into the office chanting an alluring melody. Celestia’s harsh mug relaxed and she stood placated as the three sirens surrounded her. Mists of green magical aura filled the floor of the room.

“Hello girls, what brings you to my office?” Celestia’s tone was low and even. Her face held a blank smile. Adagio stepped in front of Sunset and stood next to the desk.

“Principle Celestia, please reconsider Sunset Shimmer’s expulsion.” Adagio folder her hands together like she was pleading for someone’s life. “We’ve forgiven her for what she did to us. I know that there is some good in her and if you would just give us a chance, I’m sure we can show her the ways of friendship.”

Adagio’s blatant hypocrisy was insufficient to spark a reaction from Sunset. She couldn’t even bring herself to resent the ones who had put her in this position.

“Girls, I admire your compassion but I'm afraid that Sunset is just too dangerous of a liability. I have to think of the student body as a whole.” Celestia just stared forward as she spoke.

“Please Celestia, we’ll make her our personal responsibility and see that she is fully reformed.” Adagio leaned over Celestia’s desk until her face was inches away from Celestia’s. “You know that you can trust such an important task to model students like ourselves. After all…” Adagio backed up a few steps. She kneeled down and put her arms around Sunset.

“We believe that no one is beyond redemption.”

Sunset simply looked at Adagio without saying a word.

“Very well girls. I leave Sunset Shimmer in your capable hands. I’m sure that with your guidance, she will become a model student as well.” Celestia sat down and stared passed Adagio and Sunset to the far wall where her office door was. It was as if someone had flipped her off switch.

****

Adagio led Sunset out into the hallway outside of Celestia’s office. The Dazzling stood around her in a circle.

“Well Sunset, looks like you owe us a big favor, don’t you?” Adagio stroked her chin.

“I will never join you, no matter what you do to me or threaten me with.” Sunset’s response had conviction but no emphasis. She was still struggling to feel anything.

“Oh, ho, ho Sunset dear, you misunderstand me. We didn’t ask you to join us. However, you will do exactly what we need you to do.” Adagio caressed the Sunset’s face with the back of her palm.

“Why would I ever do anything you ask of me? There’s nothing left you can take from me. Unless you plan to control my mind as well?” Sunset did nothing to resist Adagio’s touch. Adagio laughed.

“We don’t need to control your mind. You’re just too predictable Sunset. Rather you want to or not, you’re going to give us everything we want. Now be a good student and go on back to class. I think you have some homework to catch up on." The sirens giggled and walked away from Sunset. She stood in the hallway until they were out of sight.

“What am I supposed to do now? What did Luna mean by ‘bonds of friendship?’” Sunset started walking in the general direction of her 4th period class. It felt like more of ritual than an obligation. She turned a corner in the hallway to see Flash Sentry talking to a tall green haired boy next to the lockers.

"Yeah the Rainbooms shouldn't have even been allowed to enter the stadium. I mean, my band was clearly the best act in the school. The real competition was at the semi finals with us versus the dazzlings. And the only reason they won was because they were the hot new thing. If we did that battle again. We would have it for sure." Flash balanced himself against the locker with his foot.

Sunset felt her rage returning to her. Every negative emotion she had stored up from Celestia was rising to the surface and her blood was boiling. She hadn't felt this on fire since she had terrorized the school as a demon.

"You!" Sunset caught Flash's attention. Her ability to feel had certainly returned to her. She made a beeline straight for Flash. His amused smile was slowly replaced by a concerned look as she got closer to him. Her face was so contorted with rage that she looked hideous. She grabbed him by the flaps of his unzipped Jacket and shoved him against the lockers. Flash let out a grunt when the back of his head hit the metal.

"Just who do you think you are?" Sunet was almost lifting him off of the ground.

"Woah, what hell is wrong with you?" Flash held his hands out to the side. The green haired kid took off down the hallway.

"Some friend you are," Flash called out to him.

"Look at me," Sunset nearly growled her demand. Flash gave her his full attention while pinned against the locker.

"Why are you trying to ruin my life?" She pushed against him and made him hit his head again.

"Ow, Ruin your life? I'm not the one who's acting like a she demon to..." Sunset interrupted.

"Stop it, stop saying that. Why can't everyone just freaking shut up about that."

Flash winced waiting for her to slam him against the wall again or possibly just slug him. He felt something land on his chest, but when he looked down, he saw the top of Sunset's head.

"What did I ever do to you?" Sunset was crying into Flash's chest. He could feel the warm tears staining his shirt. Sunset had to blurt out words through heavy sobs.

"Did I really hurt you so bad that you want to destroy me? Am I really that evil?" Her grip on his jacket loosened and he settled back onto the ground.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry that I hurt you. I'm so awful and that's why everybody hates me. Please forgive me. I wish that someone would just..." Sunset paused, unable to continue.

Flash Sentry gently placed his hand on the back of her head.

"You know, this is only second time you've cried into my chest now." Sunset looked up at Flash.

"The first time was right after you came to our world. I don't even know if you remember our first date. You were going on about mistakes you'd made and how you couldn't go back." Flash chuckled a little and Sunset released her grip on his jacket. She allowed him to swing his arm around her shoulder.

"I had no idea what you were talking about, but all I could think was 'how can a nice girl like this be so bad?'" Sunset wiped her tears with her sleeve.

“I’m not a nice girl, Flash. You were right to leave me. I’m mean and selfish and conniving. You deserve a girl like Twilight. She’s the best and I’m just… awful.”

“Don’t say that,” Flash shook his head.

“But it’s true,” Sunset grabbed her elbows and leaned into his embrace. Flash put his hand under her chin and gently lifted her face until her eyes were looking right into his.

“Hey,” his voice was so soft and gentle, “I only date the best girls.” Sunset’s face turned beat red.

"Flash I..." She began but was interrupted.

"Flash Sentry, what are doing talking to her?" Adagio had come around the corner. She pointed accusingly at Sunset. Flash and Sunset were caught a fairly compromising embrace. Adagio calmed down and recomposed herself.

"I'm sorry, what I meant to say was, 'Why are you talking to her when both of you have class to get to?’ I mean, I hate to break up this tearful reunion, but I'm sure you'll both have time to catch up later right?" She stood with her hip casually popped out.

"Adagio, I was just..." Adagio’s ruby necklace glowed and a flash of green light flew across Flash Sentry’s face.

“Ah!” Flash screamed and grabbed the sides of his head. He hunched over as if he were in terrible pain.

“Flash what’s wrong?” Sunset leaned over and put her hands on top of his hands. She could feel his temples throbbing through his fingers.

“You’re hurting him,” Sunset glared at Adagio, “Stop it, let him go.” Sunset started to move toward Adagio.

“Oh I’ll let him go,” Adagio cupped her hands over her medallion and it glowed brighter. Flash let out another shriek of pain and dropped to the floor. “Just as soon as he remember’s whom he is loyal to.”

Sunset didn’t know what to do. She got on her knees and rubbed Flash Sentry’s back.

“Come Flash Sentry, we’re leaving,” Adagio let the light in her medallion fade. Flash Sentry stood up on his own.

“Flash, are you alright? Should we go to the nurse?” Sunset went to grab his hand but he pulled it away.

“I’m fine, I have to go now,” his voice was dull and flat. He walked toward Adagio. She had a giant crooked smirk on her face.

“Flash wait,” Sunset held out her hand toward him.

“I’m sorry,” he put his arm around Adagio’s waist and she leaned her hip into him as they walked away together.

“Did you really mean what you said?” Sunset was sure her question fell on deaf ears until he and Adagio turned the corner. Flash glanced back over to her and gave a quick wink over his shoulder before leaving her field of vision.

Sunset stood alone in the hallway again. It was the same loneliness she felt even when she was surrounded by other people. Before she couldn’t feel anything and now she didn’t know what to feel.

“Pssst, Sunset,” She turned around to the sound of a voice behind her. Rainbow Dash was peeking her head into the hallway from a classroom door.

“Sunset, come here quickly.” Sunset ran into the classroom and closed the door behind her.

Author's Note:

Where the hell has this been? A timely update by me. Hope you guys are still enjoying it.

Let me know what you think, sugarcube :ajsmug:

Comments ( 5 )
Comment posted by gunstarx deleted Jan 7th, 2015

I FUCKIN' KNEW IT! I remember when you pitched that really cheesy ass line from Flash Sentry after the movie and I knew the second you linked me your fic that you were gonna drop that.

This is a pretty neat fic. Most stuff set after Rainbow Rocks is about redeeming the Dazzlings, nice to see something different.

This. This is good.

Login or register to comment