• Published 18th Aug 2014
  • 10,718 Views, 184 Comments

How Much Is Freedom Worth? - Bucking Nonsense



Aphid is a changeling, stuck in a cage in a circus sideshow. Azure Blue is a colt from the Crystal Empire, the heir of a wealthy family... and looking to make a purchase.

  • ...
19
 184
 10,718

Epilogue

Author's Note:

This chapter will make a little more sense if you read the following stories:
A Meal Fit For A King
Cooking Roach
Who Are You And What Have You Done With Diamond Tiara?

In addition:
The Lord Howe Island Stick Insect, or Tree Lobster, the rarest insect in the world. It was thought extinct at one point.

Aphids. An insect used by ants the same way that humans use cows.

"I distinctly remember telling you not to get involved with this..."

Azure Blue looked up at the speaker, his expression very carefully neutral. While the young colt would proudly boast that he feared nopony, this individual was definitely the one stallion in Equestria who could intimidate him...

Former tyrant of the Crystal Empire, and current head of the Bureau of Changeling Affairs, Sombra.

Clearing his throat, Azure said, "Actually, if I recall correctly, you told Cobalt Blue not to get involved. You didn't say anything about me getting involved." Technically correct, although Azure had been present at the time, and Sombra had used a general 'you' instead of a specific name. Still, he expected that would be enough to excuse his presence here...

With a snort, Sombra raised an eyebrow, then said, "I suppose that might be accurate, from a certain point of view. Still, you and your foster brother are as thick as thieves, so I would have assumed that telling one would be the same as telling you both." With a chuckle, he added, "I suppose I'll have to be more specific next time."

The two were currently sitting in Sombra's office in Canterlot. Azure had hoped that he, his butler Howe, and Aphid, would be well on their way back to the Crystal Empire before Sombra had caught wind of Azure's little scheme, but the former tyrant had apparently been aware of the young colt's arrival, as well as his comings and goings since then. Azure should have known better to try and get away with things when he was up against somepony with two dozen changelings on his payroll... and probably a dozen more who weren't, at least 'officially'...

Still, it had been a shock to see him waiting at the train station, a disapproving frown on his face. The colt still had nightmares about that kind of scowl, even if Sombra was reformed...

As well as Cobalt Blue's friend...

Azure cleared his throat, then said, "Well, everything worked out alright, didn't it? Nopony was hurt, a criminal was caught, and a slave was set free."

Sombra, his eyes narrowed, asked, "And why, pray tell, did you pull this little stunt, when you could have just left it to the guards? Or, failing that, had your butler play the part of the buyer, instead of taking that part yourself?"

With a small chuckle, the colt said, "Because some things call for a personal touch." More seriously, he continued, "Besides, Howe practically screams 'butler' even when he is out of uniform, so if he tried to play the role of a wealthy buyer, he'd seem really suspicious. As for the guards, setting up a good sting takes a little time, and that circus was going to be leaving today."

And both the 'Blues Brothers' (In spite of Sombra's insistence that he would handle it) and Sombra had been trying to find that traveling circus for the last three moons, practically since Sombra's return and recruitment into the bureau of changeling affairs. Prior to his revival, Sombra and Cobalt Blue had spotted the circus that kept Aphid, seeing it from the window of the train they were riding in at the time. There had been no time to stop, and no way of knowing if the treatment Aphid was receiving was legal or not. However, they had promised each other, and Howe, who was riding with them (Long story, that one), that they would try to find a way to help her once their business in the Crystal Empire was finished. Azure, after hearing the story, had been glad to lend a hoof. After all, that's what big brothers are for...

With a snort, Sombra stated, "While certainly true, you only managed to beat my agent there by half an hour... and I had another half dozen agents, and a good twenty guards from the local garrison, ready to liberate her if the proprietor proved to be reluctant to let her go." After a moment, he added, "The guards were happy to lend a hoof, both with your plans and mine: They'd been waiting for an opportunity to take Ring Master's circus apart. They suspected, and both the evidence and Aphid's testimony confirms, that he was using the cover of a traveling circus to smuggle contraband from place to place... and there were other concerns..."

Azure Blue noticed the worried look that crossed Sombra's face, and asked, "What other concerns?"

"I'm not at liberty to discuss ongoing investigations," Sombra stated, formally. "Especially those conducted by other departments of Equestrian law enforcement." His tone lightened somewhat as he said, "But enough about that. How is Cobalt?"

Chuckling, Azure said, "He's happy. Up to his neck in fillies who are quietly jockeying for the position of 'very special somepony', with more appearing every couple of days... and he's still completely oblivious to it." With a shrug, he added, "Who knew that being the only non-crystal colt in the Crystal Empire would make him so popular?"

With a big laugh, Sombra said, "That colt's life is going to be painfully complicated when he and his fan club hit puberty. I wouldn't be surprised if a war breaks out before the end of that... or if one, or all, of the princesses get dragged into it. Give him my best when you get back home: It may be a while before I can sweet talk the princesses into letting me visit, but I'll see what I can manage. Ever since I told Rochelle the whole story about my return, she's been insisting on getting a chance to meet him."
-------------------------------

Aphid was... well, she was nervous, to be honest. While Azure spoke with the director, she was left in a waiting room with Howe. The butler was a mystery: As far as she knew, there wasn't a single commoner in the swarm named 'Howe'. That, plus his above average height, his build, and the length of his horn, all screamed that he was an aristocrat.

But why would an aristo be playing servant to a colt, even a fantastically rich one?

And he just had to be the most handsome changeling she'd ever seen, too. She had to constantly remind herself that while looking was fine, there were very strict rules against anything more than that. The kind of rules that ended with the words 'Off With Your Head' if you broke them. Still, the world was changing... right?

Not that it meant much: While she might have gotten a name, mostly due to dumb luck, Aphid didn't have any distinguishing characteristics. She wasn't athletic, or really all that pretty. In just about every category, including brains, she was more or less average. A brick would be more interesting than she was...

Clearing his throat, Howe asked, "Are you alright? I can imagine that you must still be sore, given the way you were treated."

Sore did not do the way she was feeling justice: Her neck itched abominably, and her muscles were screaming at her. The chain on her collar, bolted to the ceiling, was not long enough to reach the floor, and it had barely been long enough to reach her neck while sitting without choking her... so she'd ended up sitting, in the same position, for a year... even in her sleep. She was lucky her muscles hadn't atrophied completely...

Rubbing at the scars on her neck, born from a year of wearing a collar, she admitted, "I've felt better. I'll be fine, though. I just need a chance to work the kinks out: After a year playing statue, I'm stiff in ways that words can't possibly describe."

Nodding, Howe said, "Well, we'll be leaving on the next train out after this bit of business is done. It'll be a long trip, but the bedding inside the luxury car is quite pleasant, I assure you." With a chuckle, he added, "Then, once we get you to the manor, the other maids will help you to adjust to your new surroundings."

Surprised, Aphid asked, "But the way Azure put it, I thought you didn't have any maids?"

With an eloquent shrug, Howe said, "Well, there are a few others, but given the state that the manor was in when I first arrived, it would have required a brigade to get the entire mansion back to tip-top shape by now, especially..." For a moment, Howe seemed like he might go into detail, then shrugged and said, "But that is neither here nor there. Just rest assured, you'll have plenty of hooves to aid you while you find your way." Then he chuckled, and added, "And plenty of work to keep you occupied."

And plenty of competition, she added mentally, as she studied Howe and calculated whether or not getting a piece of that action would be worth risking an execution over...

Comments ( 92 )

NEW CHAPTER UP!

Yes, there will be a sequel. And yes, I will get around to the story of Sombra's return.

nooo don't end it there!

This chapter felt off. I suppose that does come with it being an epilogue chapter. If this were a continuation chapter, I would have complained more.

How dare you make me read more. We duel at dawn!

4883263 well, your thirty seven minutes late then <-<

keep up the good work bucki, you always bring the best stuff.

she studied Howe and calculated whether or not getting a piece of that action would be worth risking an execution over...

The answer is always yes. :rainbowkiss:

4876126
I would definitely like some cover art for this, and the sequel. Send me a message, and I'll give you the particulars :pinkiehappy:

I'll be adding this to the author's notes on the chapter, but I suppose I should put his here, in case you've already read the chapter:

The Lord Howe Island Stick Insect, or Tree Lobster, the rarest insect in the world. It was thought extinct at one point.

Aphids. An insect used by ants the same way that humans use cows.

May or may not be relevant. :trollestia:

4883328 oh :facehoof: the things you say when your tired right?

I get a kick out of the fact that the epilogue is longer than the... logue? Going with that. But yeah, a chuckle was had.

4884750 oh.......ok. Just use the wabbajack. That cool. What evsss

4885705 it's ok. You can admit your jelly. Everyone is jelly because Madgod is Madgod therefore no logic or law of physics apply to him. :pinkiecrazy: So it's ok. it's ok

4885933 You need to get you filthy madness out of my nocturnal sandwich.

4886104 Take your sandwich out of my madpot then

did not see sombra coming. that was quite a surprise

Wow the Tree Lobster is pretty cool for being an insect.

You simply must continue this story. A sequel must be inorder!

I quote:" Freedom is worth dying for."

4887125 ok, i want in on this! <throws a cheese bomb>

4887125 ok, i want in on this! <throws a cheese bomb>

4890649 *eats the cheese bomb* Mmm...such 'explosive' flavor. :pinkiecrazy:

4890943 hey! that was for everyone!:pinkiesad2:

4891042 Madgod sharing cheese? That's funny, I almost thought you were serious.

4891132 right in Obivion, the Madgod of the Shivering Iles was known to say 'CHEESE for EVERYONE!'

4891284 Madgod has gotten selfish with his cheese in recent years mortal. Blame Cthulu. :pinkiecrazy:

4891450 that bitch? a bit too attached to certain Hentai...so no cheese for the madgod either! oh, and im hardly the kind of mortal that ur thinking of...since i wasnt giving u cheese anyway...dont u know how unwise it is to trust...a Dovah? krosis!

4891898 This is why your my champion! :pinkiecrazy: Good work!

4892504 nid Madgod, u have no power over me...no mere Deadra can control me, a Dovah does not bow to madness...

4892805 Are you so sure? Jerylagg, Daedric Prince of Order is the TRUE owner of the soul carin. Now what dragon is enslaved there? Oh that's right. Alduins second general Durenviir. So yoi were saying what again?

4892889 u dare to compare me to the cursed one? he who was bound by lies and deceit? or even to Alduin, whos madness drove the Dov to extinction! nid, i am not of them. i serve the All Father...i serve Akatosh...

4892889 u dare to compare me to the cursed one? he who was bound by lies and deceit? or even to Alduin, whos madness drove the Dov to extinction! nid, i am not of them. i serve the All Father...i serve Akatosh...

4893011 Ha! Akatosh! The same Akatosh who made the Dovakiin to slay ALL Dova? Ha! You imbecile! Akatosh cared not for the Dova the moment Alduin betrayed him. Even Paarthanax who trained the tongues was hated in the eyes of Akatosh. Serve him? More like your kind was a pawn in his games. Did you now? Myself and the other 15 Princes were at one time called one of the mortals '8 divines'. We learned of Akatosh's game he plays. Did you know Akatosh is the one that made the Underking who he was? A hero turned monster all for his enjoyment. We do what we do to...resist his awful ways, Why do you think Mehrunes tried to enter Tamriel? He wanted to WIPE the game away. If you knew what the game will result in, you would have done as we did. You dare say I the one who whispers madness and insanity, the one who can VERY easily corrupt even the most iron willed beings is LOWER than you? Who do you think gave Molag Bal the idea of vampires? Who do you think made some of mankind WORSHIP the Dova? Mortal I am the anti-game maker. I am the one who disrupts Akatosh's 'peace' War? HA! Just a bit of proper...'placement'. In fact I was the one who gave Akatosh the idea to GIVE YOU WINGS! Who do you think caused the trapped Dova Numinex to fall into insanity living his years trapped in the DragonsReach? VERY little occurs in Tamriel without my altercation. In fact your very SURVIAL after the Dragon War is my doing. I led the slayers away and aided your escape so do NOT dare question me mortal. I have YET to show the world my strength.

4893076 well, whos to say that ur story is not all the product of ur own madness? or just spending to much time with Paligius III? who is to say that i ever lived on Nirn in the first place? or that u, the former hero of the Oblivion Crisis, have anything to actually say to me? how about this then, who is to say that i mean the same Akatosh that u speak of? that i not merely using that name to draw a parallel? who is to say....what is real?

4893123 I myself am not actually mad. Same as Clavicus being the weakest of the Princes though he rules over power and pacts. I simply like to act like what I rule. Same as a kind king has to act cruelly in a cruel world. There is no difference. AND DONT YOU DARE TELL ME WHAT IS REAL OR NOT I CONTROL THE ILLUSIONS OF THE MIND! ONLY I HAVE THE POWER TO TRULY KNOW WHATS REAL OR NOT! I AM BOTH THE HERO OF THE OBLIVION CRISIS AND THE ORIGINAL MADGOD! WE ARE SIMPLY ONE IN THE SAME! SINCE I AM WHAT I AM NO LAWS OF ANY WORLD GOVERN OVER ME! I AM FREE TO DO WHAT I WISH. YOU ARE BOUND TO THE LAWS AND RULES OF A WORLD REGARDLESS OF BEING A DOVA OR A MORTAL! I CAN DO THE IMPOSSIBLE IF I DARE CHOOSE DRAGON! YOU DO NOT WANT ME AS AN ENEMY! THERE IS A REASON MORTALS SAY THAT I CAN HELP OR HINDER THOSE UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO CROSS MY PATH! I AM THE ONE WHO CAN DESTROY THE UNBREAKABLE AND FIX THE UNFIXABLE! AND PELAGIUS IS IN FACT ME DESCENDING UPON TAMRIEL IN A MORTAL GUISE YOU FOOL! I WAS PELAGIUS THE THIRD! WHY DO YOU THINK HE LEAVES HIS OWN MIND WHEN I SEND HIM AWAY? BECAUSE HE IS BUT A CREATION OF MINE! I GAVE DRAGONS THE VOICE! I TOLD AKATOSH TO GIVE YOUR KIND WINGS! I AM THE CAUSE OF THE RED MOUNTIANS EXPLOSION FORMING THE DUNMER RACE! I AM WHY THE DWEMER ARE NO MORE! NOT AKATOSH, NOT THE WORLD EATER, NOT YOU EITHER! DON'T YOU DARE QUESTION ME! IF I DARE WANTED TO I COULD STRIP YOU OF YOUR VERY ESSENCE, TAKE BACK MY GIFT TO YOURKIND AND SHRINK YOU DOWN TO THE SIZE OF A SNAIL AND SQUISH YOU UNDER MY BOOT!

4893123 (I find what we are doing hilarious, especially on a story that has no connection whatsoever to this :pinkiecrazy:)

4893163 except i do not say what is real or not, krosis, i question...there is a difference. madness is filled with questions, but few answers. oh, and for ur information...the Dovahkiin did not make total war on the Dovah, i actually found her to be very kind and loving...a sweet little Bosmer. she spared my life out of kindness when she could easily have taken it...her Thu'um was quite powerful....stronger even than mine...but it was her eyes...i looked into them and felt fear...not from her but of her. with only a look, she made a Dovah afraid. but more than this, she set fear into the heart of Alduin himself...and convinced him to stop. her kindness stilled the World Eater, and though i do not know his ultimate fate, i know that he yet lives. so, do not spout ur madness at me Madgod, for ur words r wind, and a Dovah commands the winds.

i consider the Dovahkiin to be my sister, and a valued ally, even u would stand no chance against her simple kindness. and no force in all of Skyrim could stop her pet...he was death with big, sharp, nasty teeth...

4893165 (perhaps for the sake of the story and auther, we should take this to PM...

4893963 (so you are a wood elf eh? I prefer a redguard honestly o3o and that would be best)

4896770

Can I ask for a PM?

I was really enjoying your story until I read you're little note...

Author's Note:
This chapter will make a little more sense if you read the following stories:
A Meal Fit For A King
Cooking Roach
Who Are You And What Have You Done With Diamond Tiara?

Dick move author...
Would it kill you to make a story that's independent from one another.

At least put that note on the first chapter or in the description.

Edit: watch video and press the 7 key.

I must have missed something... What does this story have to do with the Diamond Tiara story? In particular, because I know somebody is going to say "It has Sombra in it", what about this story makes more sense if you've read "Who Are You And What Have You Done With Diamond Tiara" specifically? Are there any references to the events of that story?

4896998
The fact that, at the time this story is going on, a law is in effect that reaffirms changeling's rights as sapient creatures.

Login or register to comment