• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,369 Views, 45 Comments

My Little Pony: Beyond Life and Death - MetroXLR99



Twilight befriends and falls in love with a timid stallion whom she loses to death. but, 'Death' isn't the end..but, a whole new beginning.

  • ...
10
 45
 1,369

Like a Guardian Angel

Seven times Celestia's Sun and Luna's Moon have risen and fallen, and by now Jessica and Alex Cosmos had fully become part of Ponyville's community.

Jessica had gotten herself a job as an assistant florist to Roseluck. It was a very peaceful and calming job, and it paid well enough. And while Alex was still a runner up to Fluttershy as "Shyest Pony in Ponyville", he wasn't without any friends. He spent nearly every day visiting Twilight. usually to help her with her 'experiments', or to play with Spike whenever she was too caught up with her research.

Alex also spent quite a lot of time at Sweet Apple Acres, helping out Applejack with her chores, and being good friends to both her brother, little sister, and her friends. He was equally helpful to Fluttershy in tending to her many animal friends. By now, even Angel Bunny trusted him. He also helped Pinkie Pie at Sugar Cube Corner. usually when foalsitting Pumpkin and Pound proved 'too demanding' for her, and she needed some help. And any time Rarity needed a model for stallion clothing, she could always count on Alex to stay perfectly still for hours if it meant helping her. Alex was good friends with just about ALL of the Elements of Harmony...all except for one: Rainbow Dash.

The cyan Pegasus was still suspicious of Alex true intentions. believing he was "too nice of a stallion", and assumed he was hiding something. Alex was beginning to grow worried that Rainbow Dash would ever fully accept him.

But, that was all going to change today.


[Sunshine Bookstore, Ponyville]

A door opened, followed by a ringing sound, and in walked a lime green earth pony with a ginger red mane. Alex entered the store, surveying the area. "Hmm...pretty small looking place." he mused. "Oh, well. Least it's got books."

Alex took a moment to take out a rolled up list from his saddlebag. He opened it up, and quickly looked at its text.

"Hmm...let's see." muttered Alex, as he looked over the check list. "All I need are a few more, and I can go back to Twilight." Rolling the list back up, Alex put it back in his saddlebag and began to browse the store. "Hmm...now, let's see. OH! There it is!" said Alex, as he took a book entitled: '1001 Legends and Mysteries of Equul'. "Twilight will love this." he said, as he continued browsing. Alex then spotted another book that caught his attention: 'The Complete Guide to Griffonia, REVISED Edition.'

"Oh, Twilight has GOT to have this!" said Alex, as he snatched the book from the shelf.

After spending about half an hour hunting unique books (and a few comic books that he figured Spike would love,) Alex at last headed over to the vacant checkout counter, and tapped at the bell on the tabletop.

"Hold on, HOLD ON!" snapped a female voice.

A female unicorn walked up to the counter, and faced Alex. Her fur was golden yellow, with a mane that was a mesmerizing blend of cherry red and lemon yellow. The unicorn's eyes were a bluish-green color, and they eyed Alex with aggravation. "Can I HELP You?!" said the mare, as she magically snatched away the bell.

"Uh...Y-Yeah." stuttered Alex, nervously. "Do you, um...work here?"

The Unicorn had an unamused look on her face. "Umm...YEAH! That's what I meant when I said: "Can I help you?'" said the mare, sarcastically. "And besides, who do you think OWNS this place?! I am Sunset Shimmer, the Number ONE supplier of books in ALL of Ponyville."

"Well, technically, you aren't the only one." began Alex. "Twilight Sparkle also-"

"ARE YOU GOING TO BUY ANYTHING, OR WHAT!!?" snapped Sunset suddenly, frightening Alex.

"Umm...y-yeah, I am." squeaked the stallion, as he place the many books on the counter.

Sunset examined each of them. "My...these are quite a lot of books you have here. You must have quite the thirst for knowledge."

"Well, actually, I'm getting all these for a friend. TWO friends, I mean."

Sunset eyed the earth pony once again. "Oh, you ARE, are you?"

After an uncomfortable amount of time staring at Alex, Sunset finally began to ring up the many items. "That'll be seventy-eight bits, please."

Alex laid out piles of gold coins. "Here's eighty bits, Ms. Shimmer."

Sunset took was she was owed, and left the rest. "Here's two bits back. Hope your "FRIENDS" enjoy them."

"Thanks!" said Alex, who cheerfully took his bag of books. He was completely oblivious to the Unicorn's bitter tone.

Sunset watched as Alex left, a look of pure hatred in her eyes. "Twiliiight..." growled Sunset, venomously


A cream colored pony with a dark pink mane opened a window, and exhaled contently. It was a beautiful day. the sun was shining brightly, and all the flowers in the shop smelled wonderful. Roseluck looked over at a pink mare with a ginger red mane who was watering the surrounding flowers.

"The flowers look wonderful, Jessica." said Roseluck.

"OH! M-Ms. Roseluck! I didn't-"

"It's okay. You're doing an excellent job, Ms. Cosmos."

Jessica nodded at her boss. "I-I'm doing my best, ma'am."

Roseluck smiled. "You always do." With that, the mare hopped out of her window and approached her employee. "Tell me, how is your son, Alex?"

Jessica continued to water the flowers. "He's...d-doing okay." said Jessica, nervously. "He's made friends with a unicorn named Twilight Sparkle, who I hear is a very nice and well respected pony."

"Oh yes, Twilight. Apprentice to the Princess herself." said Roseluck. "Most everypony knows who she is."

Jessica smiled. "Well, she has become good friends with my son, her friends as well."

Roseluck smiled. "I'm glad for that, Jessica. I have seen your son around town, and he always seems so quiet. So distant. I often worry about him."

Jessica nodded as she looked down. "As do I, every single day."

Roseluck looked up at the sky and widened her eyes at what she saw. The once clear, blue skies were quickly filling up with dark, nearly black clouds. "Oh my," began Roseluck. "Looks like a storm is coming."

Jessica too, looked up at the sky. "Looks like a BAD one, too." said the mare with dread.

Roseluck looked at Jessica. "Go home, Jess. No more work today."

Jessica looked at Roseluck with a surprised expression. "What?"

"As you said, that storm looks like a bad one." continued Roseluck. "And I DON'T want you caught in the worst of it. So, PLEASE, go home right now."

Jessica paused for a moment, then she finally put her water can down. "O-okay. I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"Just get home, and stay safe." said Roseluck, again. "I don't think I would ever forgive myself if anything happened to you because of me."

Jessica cracked a smile. "You're starting to sound like my son, now."

Roseluck gave Jessica a look. "Okay! I'm going." said Jessica, as she began to walk off.

"Take plenty of shortcuts!" called Roseluck. "Don't be afraid to gallop! This storm looks like it could get bad FAST!!"

"I WILL!!" Jessica called back as she began to gallop away.

Roseluck exhaled sharply, then looked back at the sky above. She grimaced upon seeing the one cheerful blue sky now completely black with storm clouds. The mare retreated back into her house. once inside, she looked back out her window and sighed. "Get home safely, Jess. It doesn't look like even Pegasi are safe in THIS storm."


Alex gasped as a bright flash momentarily blinded him, followed by an ear splitting crash. The earth pony began to gallop away as fast as he was able. However, the rain was pouring hard, and he could barely see the end of his nose, much less where he was going.

Against his better judgment, he took cover underneath a large tree. He shivered and shook, either from the cold wetness of his fur, or his terror. Alex finally shook his body, trying to get at least somewhat dried off. Taking a deep breath, he exhaled sharply and tried to calm himself down.

Needless to say, he was caught completely off guard by the present storm.

It had only been five minutes ago that the skies were clear and sunny. Now, a savage storm was upon Ponyville like some predatory creature on the hunt. And it seemed as though the worst of it was here.

That last thunder strike felt as though it was only hooves away, rather than miles.

Alex continued to shiver and shake from where he stood. "O-o-okay...get ahold of yourself, Alex." he muttered to himself. "Alright, LOOK, if that storm is reeaallly this close, then I CAN'T stay here. Hiding under a tree is the absolute worst place I can be right now."

Another bright flash of lightning, and a loud crash of thunder was enough to convince Alex to move from his less-than-ideal respite, and continue onward. He still had no idea where he was going, he only knew that he was in a forest, as a sea of trees was all that lay before him. He knew he had to find his way home, or at least find some house to take shelter in.

After what seemed like an hour of running through the rain, trying to outrun the storm, Alex heard a strange noise.

"Ohhhhhh..."

Alex ears perked up. "Huh? What was that!?"

"OOOOOOOHH!!!"

"That sounds like a... Is that-!?"

"HELP ME!! PLEEEEEASE!!!"

Alex's eyes widened. "A pony."

Without even thinking, Alex galloped as fast as he could towards the sound. He eventually found the source, and was shock at what he saw. There, underneath a large, downed tree trunk, was a pegasi mare. Her coat was just as pink as Alex's mother, and he might have believed it was her, if not for her bright blue mane.

The mare struggled to look up. She was pinned to the ground, the tree crushing her.

"H-help...meeee." groaned the mare in agony.

"HOLD ON!!" exclaimed Alex, as he ran over to her. He gasped upon seeing that one of the mare's wings was under the tree, bent in a way that seemed impossible.

"Good Faust!!" exclaimed Alex, completely shocked. "H-Hold On! I'll get-"

"Please...PLEASE, don't leave. Don't...leave me."

Alex looked down at the mare. He stared into her lavender eyes, and saw fear, absolute terror.

"O-okay. I'm not going anywhere." said Alex, reassuringly. "I'll...Try to get you out of this."

Alex was now fidgeting, completely nervous. He had to figure out some way to help this mare, and he knew he had to do it fast, as that tree really was crushing her body, and she wouldn't last for very much longer.

"Okay, Think-think-think...THINK, Alex!" muttered Alex to himself. "There has to be some way to get out of this without killing her." Alex examined the tree. He knew it was far too large for him to move on his own, and even if he did have the strength of Applejack's brother Big Mac, any attempt to move it would surely crush the mare to death. "I can't move it, but I have to get her out from under it!"

Alex pondered his situation. Trying to think of some solution. he then recalled one of his times spent with Twilight, where he read one of her books about basic physics.

He may not be able to move the tree, but he might be able to lift it.

"Miss, HANG ON!" Alex said to the terrified mare. "I'm not going to leave you, but I have to get something to get you out of this."

Despite her pain, the mare nodded in response. "H-hurry...please."

Alex walked off, and looked around. He needed some form of leverage to lift the tree up. He eventually found a nearby tree. It was slim enough to move himself, and looked sturdy enough to be useful. Turning himself around, he began to kick his legs as hard as he could against the tree.

Applebucking with Big McIntosh and Applejack was going to pay off, here. whether by his own strength, or the moist ground. Alex was able to uproot the tree, and sent it toppling over. He then gripped the tree by his teeth, and dragged it back to the still pinned mare.

"Ugh! I...I can't...BREATHE!!" gasped the mare.

Alex released the tree. "Hold on, miss. You'll be free in no time."

"L-look, if I...d-don't make it, please tell my dau-"

"You're GOING to make it! Don't give up!!" said Alex, sternly.

Alex began to search around. He needed some kind of counter-balance in order for his lever to do any good, but to his frustration, he couldn't find anything of use, not even a large rock.

"Oh, now what do I do?! All I have is-" Alex paused as he looked at his saddlebag full of books, and other items." He let out a deep sigh. "Sorry, Twily." Alex dropped his heavy bag on the ground with a loud thud. He wasn't sure if this would work, but it was the best he could do right now. Taking the tree, he placed it onto the bag and squeezed the end of it underneath the large trunk. He then went to the other end, and put all of his weight on it. The tree was indeed heavy. Alex was struggling to make his lever move at all!

"GYAH!!" cried out Alex, his strength giving out.

The earth pony finally had to stop to catch his breath. That's when he looked down at the mare. She was in pain and scared; her resemblance to his own mother only made him feel worse. He then narrowed his eyes. He couldn't fail.

Alex tried again. summoning ALL his strength, pressed down hard onto the lever.

Slowly, the massive tree began to creak.

"Alll...mooost...THERE!!"

With one last bit of effort, Alex was finally able to press the lever all the way down. "HURRY!!" exclaimed Alex, as he tried to hold the tree up. "G-GET OUT!!"

The mare groaned as she tried to move. Her bones felt brittle, and it was still a struggle to breathe. Despite the intense pain, she was able to crawl away from the spot that she was trapped in.

Finally, her strength gave out, and she collapsed.

Alex released the lever, letting the tree fall back down. He quickly ran over to the downed mare. "Miss? MISS?!"

The mare remained motionless on the muddy ground. If not for her chest rising and falling, Alex would have believed she had died. She slowly opened her eyes, and looked up at her savior. "I...I can't move."

Alex took a moment to examine the pegasi. her wing was bent backwards, so it was obviously broken. He knew she needed a hospital, and fast.

"Stay still. I'll help you." Alex lowered himself down. "I need you to get on my back. I'll carry you to a hospital."

The mare struggled, but cried out in pain. "Ohh...I-I don't think I can-"

"Okay, then try to raise yourself up as best you can."

The mare did as she was told, and tried to raise up. Pain flared as she did so. Alex quickly moved underneath her, and raised himself upward. The mare was now hanging onto his back sideways.

Alex looked over at her. "What's your name?"

The mare struggled to look at Alex. "Ff-fffire...fly."

"Firefly? Well, my name is Alex. Alex Cosmos."

Firefly looked right into Alex eyes. "Alex...thank you."

"Don't thank me yet, we have a long road ahead of us."

"Bless you, Cosmos...bless you." Firefly was exhausted. She was beginning to lose consciousness.

"HEY. Firefly!!"

"Ngh!?"

"Stay awake!"

Firefly made sharp, pained sounds. "I'll...I'll TRY."

Alex began to make his way back from where he came. Despite the storm, he maintained a slow and steady pace. Firefly was clearly suffering, and he didn't want to add to it, even if he was only trying to help.

After several minutes of walking through the torrential rain, Alex spoke up. "What happened to you?"

Firefly struggled to speak. "I was running errands, b-but, then the storm came. It was so sudden. I...I tried to get home. but, a l-lightning bolt struck. I fell...crashed, and the..TREE, it-"

"I understand." said Alex. "Well, don't worry. I'll get you some help."

Firefly smiled weakly. "You are too kind, Mr. Cosmos. Thank you ever so much. You...you saved my life."

Alex smiled weakly. "I just wanted to help. That's all I ever want to do."

"You...are a g-good pony."

Alex frowned at this. "Yeah...sure."


In the Ponyville Hospital, Doctor Stable was at a desk sorting out some paperwork. Just then, a pearl white mare wearing a nurse's cap approached.

"Here are the last outgoing files that you requested, Doctor." said Nurse Redheart.

Doctor Stable looked up and nodded. "Thank you, Nurse."

There was a massive crash of thunder.

Redheart shivered at the raging storm outside. "Ooh! Nasty out."

"Indeed. I wouldn't be caught DEAD out in such weather."

Redheart smirked. "You'd probably be dead if you WERE out there." The two ponies shared a light chuckle at this.

Suddenly, the doors burst open, and in ran a green earth pony carrying a pink pegasi onto his back.

"SOMEPONY HELP, PLEASE!!" exclaimed Alex.

"Good Faust!!" exclaimed Redheart, shocked.

"Calm DOWN, son. What is it!?" said Stable urgently.

Alex carefully rushed over. "This mare! she's seriously hurt! She has a broken wing, Maybe WORSE!!"

"Good Elysium!!" exclaimed Stable, now alarmed. "NURSE REDHEART, take this mare to the emergency room, ASAP!"

"At once, Doctor!"

Redheart quickly fetched a nearby stretcher, and rolled it over to Alex and Firefly. As Redheart attempted to get Firefly onto the stretcher safely, Alex helped her.

"Easy now...EASY." said Redheart.

"There you go. You're gonna be okay, now." said Alex.

"GYAH!!" cried out the pegasi, pain shooting through her like the lightning of the storm outside.

Firefly then looked up at Alex. her eyes glazed over. She managed a weak smile. "Th-thhhank..yooou."

Redheart looked to Alex. "Thank you. mister...?"

"Cosmos, Alex Cosmos." said Alex.

Redheart nodded, then began to roll Firefly off to the emergency room. Alex was about to leave, when Doctor Stable stopped him.

"Mister Cosmos, Wait a minute."

Alex looked to the unicorn. "Yes?"

"I need you to come with me. In order for the patient to properly be treated, I need your help."

"Oh? Well, I will do all I can."

"Good. For starters, could you explain to me what happened?"

As the two ponies trotted after Redheart, Alex began to speak. "Well, you see...I got caught in the storm, and was trying to find my way back home. I must have lost my way, when I heard these moaning sounds."

"Go on.."

"I followed them, and I found her pinned underneath a large tree. I couldn't move it without killing her, so I used a makeshift leverage to lift it up for her to crawl out from."

"Fascinating.." mused Doctor Stable, impressed at Alex's ingenuity.

"Yes, well, I may not be a doctor, but I can already tell her wing his broken." continued Alex. "It was bent backwards."

"That makes sense. Hopefully her wing can be saved." said Stable. "What is her name?"

"Firefly. she said her name was Firefly."

"And what is your relationship with her?"

Alex blushed bright red at this. "N-nothing! I only just met her!"

"Well, she seems to trust you, and in her critical state, she NEEDS to remain calm. Any stress could worsen her condition."

Alex raised an eyebrow. "So, you want me to stay with her?"

Stable eyed Alex affirmatively. "Trust me on this, Mr. Cosmos. you doing something as simple as being NEAR her could be more helpful than any medicine. Besides, take a look outside. That storm is at it's absolute Worst. I don't think any of us are going anywhere else right now."

Alex exhaled sharply. "My mom gonna be soooo angry."

"She will forgive you. Especially after learning about all you've done, today."

Alex shrugged. "Alright, then. Guess I'm staying."

"Good show."

With that, the two stallions entered the emergency room where Redheart waited with the injured Firefly.

"Doctor!" exclaimed Redheart. "The patient has a major fracture, perhaps even more."

"I am aware. Administer some painkillers, so that we may patch her up properly."

"Yes, Doctor."

Stable looked to Alex. "Mr. Cosmos, you know what to do."

Alex nodded. he then approached Firefly, who was practically in tears at the pain she was feeling. "Hey..." began Alex, his voice soft. "Hey...Firefly."

Firefly gritted her teeth in pain. "P-Prism?"

"No, it's ME. Alex."

Firefly finally opened her eyes, and looked up at the green earth pony. "A-alex?"

Alex smiled a warm smile. He then gently placed his hoof on hers. "It'll be okay, Firefly, just relax, you're safe."

Firefly struggled to place her other hoof onto Alex, clutching his hoof tight. "Don't leave me...I-I'm scared." cried Firefly, delirious with pain.

Alex smiled weakly, then spoke in a soft, soothing tone, "I'm not going anywhere."

Author's Note:

As I said once before to those who have asked
I had quite a few scenarios planned for this chapter of BLAD.

One involved Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody.
others involved Derpy Hooves, and even Lyra Heartstrings

BUT, in the end..I decided to resolve the issue of Rainbow Dash not trusting Alex
by having him do something noble that EARNS her trust and loyalty.

and, the best way I could think of to do that..was him saving one she loves more than anything.


So, in this chapter I wrote in Firefly
(a G1 character who was the basis for Rainbow Dash.
not to mention Lauren Faust's FAVORITE character.)

I shall reveal what relation she has to Rainbow Dash in the next chapter
(though, those in my inner circle ALREADY know.)
but, in THIS story, they are blood relatives. not some "other pony" that just so happens to look like her.


I do not pretend to be an expert on physics and medicine.
BUT, I tried my best to make Firefly's injuries, and the method in which Alex rescue her as realistic as possible
(or, as realistic as "talking magic horses" CAN get, anyway.)

to my knowledge, having a large tree pinning one's body down can wreak havoc on one's lungs
(never mind it crushing one bones, internal organs can only take so much pressure.)

and, it IS logical to lift something heavy using a lever and counter-balance.


So, for the most..I did my math right, and Alex REALLY DID save Firefly from certain death.



I also wrote in Sunset Shimmer in a cameo (pay attention to that, she'll have her own story arc.)
I felt it made the most sense for her to own a book store, which parallels Twilight being a librarian.

and, at this point in the story, she is the "Evil Sunset." not the "Remorseful/Redeemed Sunset" that most are familiar with by now.


least..that's the way she is for now.


I also gave Jessica a story arc. figured she'd make a good florist, making Roseluck a nobrainer as a pony she's has some sort of friendship with.


As much as I wanted to write the "Alex-Saves-Firefly" sequence in full..
In the end, it proved to large. so, I have to make this sequence a Two-Parter.


The next chapter will see it resolved (and, Rainbow Dash FINALLY opening up to Alex.)

Comments ( 12 )

5698277
Let's just assume she had a Promotion at some point.

5697273
May be awhile until you reach "The End."
given the "Acts". and pacing, it possible this story may have up to thirty chapters.

and, even THEN, I have a Midquel and Sequel planned after this.

5698160
I want to spend as much time as I can having Alex Cosmos socializing with the other characters.
based on earlier criticism of my first drafts, while he is the focus character..this isn't all about him.

I want to show that Alex is a nice guy, and is very likable by the other characters (and, by an extent; Likable for the readers, too.)
That way, it will mean that much when things take a turn for the worst for Alex later in the story.

5698338
You ought to talk to some of my friends on DeviantART, then.
that is where the majority of my BLAD fanbase can be found, and FoxMan0224 is one of the story's greatest supporters.

and, truthfully. I tend to post updates on my DA page first.
before I can even think of posting it here, it needs to be edited by Izanagi first.


But, just to give you some hope, the next chapter after this one is "almost" finished.
So, you have something to look forward to.

5700079 AWESOME!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!!

I was finally able to catch up on this story. Great job. Good luck with the next chapter. It looks like Dash and Firefly may have a relationship, if this is what causes Rainbow Dash to change her opinion of Alex.

5814803
You are correct. though, I will keep the nature of said relationship to myself for now
(course, there are already some who already know what it is by now.)

5820928 when is the next update!!!!!!!!!!!!

6252019
Sorry, I was experiencing some computer problems..and, my editor is away on military training.
SO, updating the story HERE will take longer than I do on DeviantART and Fanfiction.net.

Definitely worth a read, and I look forward to seeing more of Alex's story in Ponyville.

Login or register to comment