• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 3,872 Views, 153 Comments

Memories - HuskSummers



Memories make up who we are, but are they all worth remembering?

  • ...
2
 153
 3,872

Healing Wounds

Hey y'all...been a very long time. I haven't been a part of the fandom for quite some time, but for some reason, I saw some of my unfinished work sitting there, and inspiration hit me to write. It isn't much, but it flowed from me freely, and it simply would not leave me alone until I wrote it all out.

So, for the first time in a year or so, here is a new chapter of Memories. Once again I apologize for the shortness of it. I do hope that you will comment and criticize it heavily, because I deserve it, and need the help with getting the rust out.

I wonder how easily this will slip under the radar. I don't know how many people actually follow it anymore.


Being as far into the Everfree as my Misfits were, the trek to her hut was short. She was the only Zebra I had ever met outside of their ancestral lands. Wise beyond her years; she was practiced in the ancient healing arts of the Zebra shamans. It was something that had come in handy when she had found me years ago, left for dead and surrounded by carrion birds.

I had become cocky...full of myself after dealing with the trio of wolves that had slain so many pups, saving a small earth pony in the process. As such, they caught me by surprise...an ambush committed by an organized criminal pack of Lupine deep in the Everfree Forest. All of the signs were there, but I paid them no heed.

The air was still and the forest deadly quiet. Both should have alerted me. Instead, they fell upon me quickly, catching me unawares. Claws flashed, fangs tore, and I fell beneath their onslaught. Had they taken a moment to really look, they might have realized just who I was, possibly even taken me back to their den to hold for ransom. Instead, they left me battered, broken, and bleeding out.

When the vultures started approaching, I can’t quite remember, but I do remember when she appeared. A high pitched sound tore me from the darkness that was enveloping me, if only temporarily. Calmly, she approached me, spinning a large staff in the air, the source of the sound. The birds of Death that had been waiting for my end scattered at her approach. Her appearance was like a light to me in the deep darkness that was the Everfree. Unfortunately, the shadows enveloped me one final time, or so I thought, right before I got a good look under her hood.

Thankfully, I was wrong, and I awoke to see my wounds dressed and healing. I had been moved to a small hut after I had passed out. I would later spend a decent amount of time recovering in the Everfree, learning from the Zebra shaman named Zecora.

Suddenly, I was brought back to the present, just as we came to a small clearing. In the clearing the tree that was Zecora’s hut grew. Shirotora, with his massive physique, had carried the wounded Stonewall alone. Upon seeing the familiar door to the Zebra shaman’s hut, I broke into a gallop.

“Ms. Zecora! We have a wounded stallion! Would you please help us?” I pleaded loudly as I knocked on the wooden door embedded into the base of the tree. With barely a pause, a Zebra mare opened the door, and came trotting out.

“It matters not who calls on me...bring me this wounded pony,” Zecora told me face to face as she stood in the doorway. Following the shaman into her hut, Shirotora set Stonewall onto the table indicated by the zebra.

“These wounds are quite deep. What form of trouble did you reap?” The light of recognition shone in her eyes, and I knew that i was being tested. She knew exactly what caused Stonewall’s wounds, but she wanted to hear me say it.It oculd easily have been a test of trust, and I didn’t blame her for it. Since there was no reason to hide it, I answered her.

“Lupine. A small section of their scouting element took us by surprise, and Stonewall was wounded when he took the brunt of the attack. If you were not aware, the kingdom of Equestria is now at war with Lupine separatists proclaiming to be a New Lunar Republic,” I answered, trying my best to fit as much detail into the quick summary as I could. The nod I received from the Zebra as she worked to clean and dress his many wounds seemed dismissive, but I could tell that our conversation was not over, it was merely on hold. I was about to leave when Zecora stopped me.

“If you wish to help here is where you must stay. Take care to do everything exactly as I say,” her rhyming lilt fell upon my ears soft but firm. She went about her work, with the aid of my hooves, calmly and efficiently.

“A bandage placed here, and this wound will disappear,” her orders were not orders in the typical sense, instead, mere facts she spoke aloud to guide me to her aid. I did not speak for fear of missing her orders as her focus grew more and more intense. To and fro I moved, from shelf to shelf and back to the operating table. Time sped by as we treated him, and only when we were utterly exhausted, supplies strewn about, were we done.

“His condition is unnerving, He must remain for observing,” Zecora delivered in her trademark accent. Her statement of the facts did little to alleviate the weight pressing on my mind.

She then added, “You and I must take a walk, for we need to have a talk,” The zebra shaman spoke before she slowly walked off, leaving me to scrambling to follow. Upon exiting the cabin I gave Shiro a nod toward the cabin door. Seeing that he entered the cabin to watch over Stonewall gave me some relief. While following Zecora, my mind wandered, quickly posing the question of whether or not she recognized me. If anypony could, this mystical Zebra would be it.

“You may wonder why I want to speak, but we both know you are quite unique. A wolf become pony. To everyone a phony. I remember caring for you, the challenges you went through. How have you come to be, trapped in the body of an Earth Pony?” The sheer number of words she spoke surprised me. She was usually a mare of such few words, even during our conversations when she had cared for my injuries. For her to speak this much told me that she was worried. Knowing my usual response would not satisfy her, I had to think hard before responding.

“I am not sure how I came to possess this body. But I do know that I appeared before the Elements of Harmony for a reason. I need to be the one to end my father’s tyranny. I only hope that I am up to the task, and that I don’t become my father in the process,” I admitted openly. The Zebra had a way of getting me to be honest with myself. The time I had spent healing in her cabin had been, despite the pain, some of the most comforting of my life. As I got lost in my thoughts, Zecora spoke again.

“Waya, so much have you grown, but you are not on this quest alone. Your friends stand beside you, and it is with their help you will pull through. Do not fear playing your father’s part, for you are much too pure of heart. You will do what you must, and end the rule of the unjust,” Her words sent a shiver down my back, their rhyming quality giving them an almost prophetic feel. At the same time, her words filled me with courage. She believed in me, and I did not want to prove her faith was mislaid. Before I could thank her, she spoke again.

“Now we must return, and alleviate you friends’ concern,” she once again spoke while walking away from me. Her mannerisms never failed to amaze me. But she had given me what I had needed, the courage to stay the course. With that thought, I followed the wise Zebra Shaman back to her home, realizing she had healed more than Stonewall’s injuries.

Comments ( 19 )

YES!Yesyesyesyesyes, I absolutely love this story! I'm glad you've taken at least one other chapter on, and I'm glad to see you're NOT dead!

Well, look who done rose from the grave. Nice to see an update. I thought I'd never see another.

6567842
6567988

Yep, still alive, and recently qualified. Got my orders too. I miss this community a lot, so I might stick around a bit more often. A good friend of mine from work is a Brony and has really reminded me what a caring group it is.

And I've got a few ideas bouncing around in my noggin' for more. I just need to find the time between my moving, keeping up on my field so I can finish my degree, learning Japanese, and my book I'm working on writing. But it was relaxing to sit down and write this stuff again after so long. I especially enjoyed writing Zecora's dialogue.

6568152

Yep, still alive, and recently qualified.

Oh, congrats on that:moustache:. You know where you're going yet?

6568268

Got my first choice! Yokosuka!

6568277 Hey! That's where I was!

6568285

I'm so excited about it! My kid brother hasn't quite realized what it'll mean for me to be there, and I just became an uncle 6 months ago to a niece I've only seen 1 time since her birth, but I'm definitely going to spoil the shit out of both of them and cherish what time I do get to spend with them.

6568293 I do the same with all of mine. You can send back green tea Kit-Kat bars :rainbowwild:

6568304 Sounds like a good idea haha

6568315 Oh, yeah. The novelty food is one of the best things about Japan, if you ask me.

6568338

I was told the vending machines are the best haha

6568369 :applejackconfused: Uh... That's... Let's just say it depends. You can buy a pet rhinoceros beetle from them :twilightblush:

6568421

I was told if there was one drink I should try from a vending machine it is liquid pancakes haha This was told to me by two different instructors.

6568441 I like the jelly beans. I'm pretty sure they inspired J.K. Rowling.

I'm so glad that this story is continuing on! I think you have portrayed the characters very well, and I love the story so much! I have to say I love the main character a lot, but most of all I like Quicksilver. Now that's a cool Pegasus. Only one I like more is Rainbow Dash.:rainbowlaugh: Hope you continue writing! Keep on Dashing!:rainbowdetermined2:

6568811

I'm glad that I can make enjoyable characters. That seems to be the pervading theme of many of the comments I receive when I write! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Wow...the update speed is terrible. It is among the top 5 slowest update stories that I knew off...I think...

Ok, so I got to read it finally...
I am really surprised... Usually, after such long break, I have to at least skim trough the rest of the chapters to catch up, but After reading it The most important parts were reminded in a non annoying way. I am happy, as many authors tend to forget that the story needs to to be reminded to the readers, That one scene with zecora gave enough information to jump-start my memory. I like how it was handled.
As for the story, I would love see this story continue.

While the retrospection seemed rushed and what was happening didn't flow properly, I can accept it as he was rushing to save his friends, so his mind was bit in chaos.
A little breaker at the beginning like "at the time" or something to mark the beginning of memory would help, and the part where he described how he was caught unaware, is a bit repetitive. If he could start at something along the lines of " It was something that had come in handy when she had found me years ago.

I had become cocky...full of myself after dealing with the trio of wolves that had slain so many pups. I saved a small earth pony in the process which made me proud of myself. As such, they caught me by surprise...an ambush committed by an organized criminal pack of Lupine deep in the Everfree Forest. All of the signs were there, but I paid them no heed."

This way the part about being left for dead didn't repeat and the whole situation wlows better if you break it up a bit.

If I wasn't on the phone I would probably make some more suggestions.

6569192 Oh yeah, one last thing...It would be great to see some more interaction with the mane 6 at some point again. Don't want them to be forgotten about after the new team is underway!:rainbowdetermined2:

Login or register to comment