• Published 26th May 2014
  • 1,397 Views, 19 Comments

Against the Current - Boldish42



Twilight has opened Star Swirl's lost journal and discovered a secret that has shaped history, and will now change her future.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,397

Ending 5

Fluttershys cottage was quiet, a bit unnaturally so, but given who was currently sipping tea with the animal caretaker, it was understandable that many animals decided to go for a walk.

“So you see my problem, yes?” Discord stretched out on his back across the couch.

“Umm, yes I do, but I wonder if you might be, um, exaggerating just a little bit.” Fluttershy blew on her tea, Discord made it a bit too hot this time, but the flavors were still there.

“Exaggerating!?EXAGGERATING!!! Yeah ok maybe a bit, however the point still stands! I love Twilight Sparkle! Maybe not to the poetic depths to which I described previously, of which the greatest of bards will be forever jealous, but I am!.. In love!.. With Twilight Sparkle that is. But now Swirly the Bewhiskered is around and I can’t tell her how I feel. I am absolutely miserable.”

“When did you actually fall in love with her?”

“Oh from the moment I first met her! Why do you think I did all of that stuff when we met? I had to show her what I could do! You know flex my muscle and show what I’ve got, so to speak.” His horn and antler flexed themselves to demonstrate this might.

“You brainwashed us into going against our natures though, how was that supposed to help?”

“Well look at it from my perspective, I wanted to spend some time alone with her and the rest of you wouldn’t have allowed that right? Then she spent all of our alone time trying to fix you all. I was a bit annoyed and I didn’t take it well I’ll admit. Things… got out of claw.”

“That… makes sense I guess, though why didn’t you just ask? Or become friends with her friends so that you have more in common?”

“I’m new at this remember?” Discord sat up, grabbed his tea, downed it in one gulp, added two lumps of sugar to the cup and stirred with his antler. “Anyway the past has passed us and I am more concerned with what I should do now.”

“We could ask our friends for advice; Rarity enjoys romance, and Applejack would have some something solid and helpful I’m sure. We could even ask Princess Cadance; love is her special talent after all.”

“Nonononono! This is my great love we’re talking about here! I could barely work up the nerve to tell you! Please please please don’t tell anyone or thing else! Besides, they’re still sore about the whole betrayal thing.”

“You could just tell her.”

“Oh Fluttershy, dear sweet Fluttershy… Yeah I think I will. But not as long as Whirly Spin is here. I will wait until he leaves to tell her!”

*About a decade later*

Discord sat in a sideways tub full of mud washing himself because chaos. A great echo of power from the ethereal sea wash over him as something somewhere happened to someone.

The Draconequus sat upright, the side of the tub splitting him in two, and he remembered.

It was his turn to bring the sandwiches to tea.

*several centuries later*

Twilight sat amidst the remains of Star Swirls array. The room was a mess, paper everywhere, wax pooled around, actually it was about normal. But it felt empty, as if it knew that the pony that called it home was never coming back, and so it let go of that feeling of life.

She would never see him again, would she?

The stallion that she loved…

“Hello? Anypony home?”

Not him, not now, please!

“Ah! There you are! I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Discord opened one of the walls like a door and walked in. “Aquestria, Griffonia, Zebrica, Minotauria, the Changeling Hive..ia. All over really. Never would have thought to look in your palace honestly, until I felt something big happening here, and now here you are!”

“Please Discord, please leave.”

“No can do Twilight my dear, I just remembered something important I had to tell you…”

Discord, unfortunately, found himself interrupted by a sudden flash of teleportation, and the room being crowded by four more ponies. The Princesses of the sun, moon, love and her boytoy.

“Twilight! We came as soon as we could, we figured you might need some emotional support in this trying time (also we sensed Discord).” Celestia said nuzzling her former student.

“We figured it must have been Star Swirl beginning his journey.” Cadance stepped up, “Do you need anything? Maybe some cleanup help?” She winked and motioned her head at Discord.

“Great idea Credenza!” Discord snapped his paw and all the clutter in the room vanished, “There! Now it’s Lulus problem.”

Luna glared at the mismatched miscreant, “She was talking about you Discord.”

“Moi? How very inconsiderate of you Armoire, Twilight and I were about to have a very important and private conversation, when the lot of you burst in uninvited. If you would show yourselves to the door, Twilight and I would be very grateful.”

Just about everypony had a retort for the chaotic spirit, but they were all preempted by Twilight.

“What did you want to talk about Discord?”

For centuries now, Twilight had been Discords friend, she had come to develop a certain amount of skill when dealing with the difficult draconequus, mostly in how to not take his jabs and jibes too seriously. The distraction of the other Princesses had given her a moment to prepare herself for him.

“Well.. It really is a private matter..”

“Discord, please, I think you’re about to make day much longer, and I’d like them to be here. So if it really is important, I think it can be said in front of my family.”

Celestia and Luna shared a smile, they both figured it was true, but this was the first time Twilight had acknowledged outloud that they were family to her. Cadance and Shining Armor hugged each other a little tighter, so proud of their sisters(in-law) strength in what had to be one of the most difficult times of her life.

“I love you.”

..

The silence of the room really felt like a solid thing, like if anybody moved a fraction of a hair, the air would shatter like glass.

“I’m sorry Discord, being an alicorn and therefore at a constant physical peak, I assumed that my ears wouldn’t fail me as they so obviously have. The only other explanation would be that you just admitted some kind of love for me on the day when the love of my life was lost to me forever (presumably) to the sands of times past.”

“Oh! Nonononono.. No. You’re ears are fine, it was the second one. The one where I love you.”

Discord, having finally declared his love, found himself switching from contemplating the long strange journey he had just completed, to wondering how Twilight was managing to strangle him with hooves.

It took, perhaps, just a bit too long for anypony to move to stop Twilight from throttling Discord.

“You see!*gasp* I knew you’d be excited about it.*cough* What time should I pick you up?”

Taking a moment to collect herself, Twilight decided, against her better judgement, to try to understand Discords ‘reasoning’.

“Why.. How are you in ‘love’ with me?!”

“I don’t know. I just am, I always have. Since that first time we met I felt this way, but I couldn’t figure it out, you know, put it into words until shortly after that whole Tirek thing and then old Swirly showed up, with his journal and future/history love stuff, and I decided I would wait until he left. Which I ended up forgetting about, until the next time he showed up, and then I waited for him to leave and forgot again.”

Neither Discord or Twilight seemed to notice their audience pass five bits each to Cadance.

“The first time we met? And your first reaction to that feeling was to brainwash my friends?”

“Like a colt with their first crush, pulling a filly’s pigtails.” Cadance chimed in.

“Fluttershy said something similar.” Discord mused.

“Wait Fluttershy knew about this?! Why didn’t she say anything? Or remind you?”

“First because I asked her to keep it between us, and second… I dunno.”

Twilight steamed for a minute or two, starting and immediately stopping sentences. Great, I declare my love and she just happens to break at the same time, I have the worst luck.

“Why? Why me?” She seemed to settle on that question, if for no other reason than to buy time to think of better ones.

“I don’t know… Um.. Purple! I like purple. And you’re pretty, you know, for being symmetrical and all. And you’re smart, and so much fun to mess with; You make this face..” Twilight glared at him with half lidded eyes and an almost frown, “Yes that’s the one!”

Twilight stared at Discord intently for a moment, “Why do you love me Discord?”

Why was that question making him so uneasy? He really was trying to answer her, but it just wasn’t something he had thought much about. One day he realized that he loved her, and for him that was it. Maybe a different approach?

Discord pointed his tail at their audience. “I don’t really have many romantic options do I? Celestia is too serene and into that whole wise leader thing. Luna just can’t take a joke. Cadance I might be able to get along with but I think she’s too high maintenance. And honestly I’m just not into Shiny.”

“Immortals aren’t your only option, and there are many creatures of all kinds in this world who’d no doubt love to be with you. So, why are you in love with me.

I love you because you’re you! Nobody else is you, you’re the youest you of all of you. In fact…” Discord’s grin quickly put everypony on alert, “I’ll show you.”

The fluff on Discord’s tail snapped like fingers and a burst of light flashed in the room, leaving behind some rather confused ponies (both the transported and audience). The flash faded revealing a unicorn who was obviously Twilight, just like she looked when she moved to ponyville.

She blinked a few times, first to adjust to the flash, then to see if her eyes were working.

“Ummm, what’s going on here? Where am.. DISCORD!”

The unicorn lit up her horn and cast a spell at the mismatched maniac, only for him to grab her magic and use it as a fishing line to reel the purple pony in and hoist her high.

“Hoowee! I’ve got a live one here!” Discord proclaimed proudly, standing in waders. “Twilight my dear, that’s princess you by the way, this is Twilight Sparkle. Don’t worry, I didn’t pull her from the past.” Quite a few ponies in the room relaxed at that, “Nope! I pulled her right out of a different reality!” The relaxed state quickly evaporated. “One where she never unpetrified me, and I never reformed, she never ascended (for whatever reason), and she and her friends never had to give up their Elements of Harmony.”

“You had give up your Elements? How do you defend Equestria?! And why isn’t anypony trying to save me!

The Princess Twilight teleported unicorn Twilight beside her. “Don’t worry you’re not in danger, and I’ll make sure Discord sends you back, won’t you Discord?

Discord nodded grinning, “Sure, easy as pie.” He conjures up a cake. “And that’s why I love you rather than her! She is content to rely on The Elements, where as you dared to dream of what you could do, would have to do, without them! And it’s not just that you had some wings and bit more exercise, you went somewhere that this Twilight wouldn’t.”

“Wait he’s in love with you!?”

“That’s why you love me more than her, but why do you love me?!” Twilight could sense something going on with Discord but what was it? If she just kept pressing on this point maybe he would show what was really happening in his head.

Discord was getting nervous, why was he getting nervous? He snapped his eyebrows and summoned another Twilight; this one too was a unicorn, but she was much older and dressed in the official garb of The Arch Mage of Equestria. She seemed to take her sudden relocation better than her predecessor. She blasted Discord in the face.

“Oh Discord, it’s you, you know you shouldn’t teleport me like that.” Her tone was very much like that of a strict teacher, she quickly surveyed the room as Discord scrapped the char of his face, “Well this is different, I’m going to guess alternate reality with alternate mes, correct?”

“Yes gold star, PT, that’s Princess Twilight, I love you more than her because of reasons, sorry I had something more eloquent in mind, but then my face got melted.” He snapped his claws.

A changeling Queen appeared in the room, she seemed to be in the middle of waxing her chitin… while singing.

“Come on everypony smile, smile, smile!
Fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine!
All I really need's a smile, smile, smile!
From these happy friends of mine!!”

Then she seemed to notice where she was. She too took it rather well.

“Ahh! My face again!” Discord screamed again as he tried to remove the apparently acidic goo that Queen Twilight spat in his face. “Why is it always the face?!”

“Oh I’ve got more for the rest of you!” Queen Twilight then proceeded to beat Discord up in a variety of ways. It got… Creative, I’m going to go with creative... Then a bit mundane but practical. Then just kicking, usually punctuated with some grievance the changeling seemed to have with the spirit.

“And that’s for anything else I might have forgotten!” She declared with one last firm kick to Discords side. Taking a few steps away she collapsed on her pitch black plot panting.

“Sooo.. Being a changeling, that must be interesting.”

“*pant* Oh yes,*pant* it’s been a bit of a rollercoaster ride, but all in all not so bad. Sensing emotions and the whole shape shifting thing, that’s pretty nice.”

“You know that isn’t your Discord right? He’s not the one that cursed your ancestors.”

“Oh, yes. I figured that out about two minutes in. I probably would have been quicker, but I was a bit distracted.”

“Ow.”

PT stepped away from her alternate selves toward the damaged Discord. “You keep bringing different Twilights here, why? How do they answer ‘why you love me’?”

“Because they’re you, but they’re not you. I’m ok with them not loving me, or even liking me or being my friend because they aren’t my you. I can’t put it into words exactly, but I love you. And I don’t know why. You think I don’t want to know? It drives me crazy! I love you, so please… Love me too.”

“It’s true.” All eyes seemed to fall on QT, “I mean he does love you, it’s all confused, knotted up and mixed with jealousy and regret, but he really does love you.”

Princess Twilight processed this, she looked back at it all, but she kept coming back to the last thing Discord said..

“Discord..” If she was right, about any of her theories, this would hurt, who she wasn’t sure. “Why should I love you?”

It was as if a light came on. One moment Discord was on the floor, nursing his ‘wounds’, and then he was standing there in front of Twilight. Rage and pain twisting his face as she’d never seen.

“Because you said you always would, Twilight!!! You said you’d never stop loving me no matter what! You said you’d find a way.. A way to.. You said you’d bring me back home.”

Both Twilight and Discord had shocked expressions, the realisation of his words hit them both.

“Star Swirl.. Is that you?”

“Yes.. I.. How did I forget that?”

“What happened to you?” Twilight wrapped him in her forelegs and wings.

“A paradox too many, I guess, I remember it now. I jumped just like every time before, but then I.. something happened and the spell couldn’t resolve the paradoxes anymore, so they all fed back into me… So much confusion, so much chaos. I guess.. I went insane, and never stopped.”

“Star.. We can fix this..”

Discord tore himself away from her. “There’s nothing to fix Twilight! I am what I am, and no amount of magic and change that! I’m not Star Swirl anymore so just.. just don’t worry about me.”

“Discord..”

“Here Twilight, you deserve a Star Swirl.” He snapped both his claw and paw, materializing three more Star Swirls. “We come in all kinds of flavors! Plain,” He picked up a plain unicorn version of himself, “Alicorn,” He motioned to the oddly perplexed alicorn of space and time, “Or extra shiny.” He finished leaning against The Tree of Harmony. “Go on! Take your pick! Anyone of these fine Swirly studs should fit the bill. I mean it’s not like…”

Discord found himself stopped by the firm slap of Princess Twilight’s hoof across his face, and then the warmth of her powerful embrace.

“I don’t want someone else’s Star Swirl. I want mine, no matter what has happened to you, you will always have been him. And I want very much to know how much of him is left, how much is new, and how much of who you are is your confusion and pain? Even if you really aren’t Star Swirl anymore, you are Discord the Draconequus; My friend. And I don’t want to lose him either.”

“... So you’ll go on a date with me?”

“Yes I will.”

“Great! I have a place booked already, and I hear double dates are great! Good thing I already brought our doubles eh? Those ones will just have to go with each other though,” He pointed at their original audience of Celestia, Luna, Cadance and the apparently mute Shining Armor, “I really don’t think I have it me to deal with their doubles too.”

“Discord. Shut up.” Twilight generously helped him in the task by kissing him. “Now.. Let’s go find out about each other.”

And so they did.

Author's Note:

Ok so... I should train myself to write at other times than 3 in the morning.

Alright last one! How'd I do? I feel I ran out of steam at the end of this chapter. Feels like it just fizzles out a bit. Any suggestions?

Anyone have a favorite ending? Any questions? Glaring mistakes? Comon! I need some feed back here!

Here's hoping I have improved just a little. Take care everyone!

Comments ( 5 )

Ive seen this piece of fanon before, in other places.....I have to say, I do like this one actually... Good Ending :-)

I'm not a good Beta Reader, so I can't really comment on mistakes, writing style seems fine...

As for suggestions: Explore more bits of fanon. Not sure which ones, but there are probably others out there that could work....

oo, I have one. Like in Back to the Future, have him leave a letter that can be delivered by Derpy at an Exact time and date, right after he leaves with his spell, and then write something sappy and funny...or something....with the journal he also left that would be kinda silly...but who cares...call it a backup plan unless the journal didn't work...or maybe the journal was the backup plan in case the letter got lost....IDK. That's my ending idea, now you turn it from an idea seed into a story fragment (i suck at that step...always have). :-)

Last one huh... Damn

If it truly is the last I have to say my favorite by far is star swirl turning into the tree, it's the first time for me hearing that concept and I felt that entire chapter overall was beautifully made and scripted.

At first he seemed so glib about it that I didn't really believe him, but then the grand reveal...! Hey, does this mean Twi indirectly caused Discord's reign and stuff?

Loved the deus ex changeling-ica, hehe. Silly ending, not because of the content (your lover being warped into a twisted immortal who had to wait through all that time to reveal himself again is definitely tragic) but Discord being Discord makes it funny. It's a two-for-one sale!

And possibly a set of very traumatized restaurant staff. Eight alicorns, one changeling queen, two unicorns and a draconequus walk in.. XD

Funny story about Shiny's vocal cords. He became immortal but they didn't. Cady says the marriage has never been better.

I like ending 5 it's kind of funny and sweet at the end:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment