• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 2,607 Views, 11 Comments

A Dewdrop - Verum Nexum



Twilight traces back through the series of events that ultimately resulted in the formation of her relationship with Rainbow Dash. A short story about cause and effect.

  • ...
7
 11
 2,607

A Dewdrop

A dewdrop. That was what hit Rainbow Dash in the face. It was also what disturbed her nap, but most importantly, it was the last straw. She had been trying to get some sleep for the past fifteen minutes or so, but was simply unable for some unknown reason. With a huff of discomfort and resignation, she sat up groggily, stretching her forelegs to the sky.

Rainbow peered at Celestia's sun as the bottom edge made contact with the horizon. Today was a lazy day for Rainbow; she had no previous obligations or weather duties to speak of, leaving her the whole day to herself. She was usually a bit more frugal with her time on work days, but she wouldn't let anything get in the way of enjoying a nice free day. Sometimes, she would visit Twilight at the library and spend the day reading Daring Do novels with her. Now that she thought of it, she'd been doing that more often than not, as of late. Glad I'm not an egghead like Twilight, she thought. Knowing her, she'd probably be worrying about how much of her free time she wastes having fun. Dash chuckled to herself.


Twilight lightly bopped Rainbow on the neck. "I'll have you know, some ponies have things to do in their free time aside from lie around like a sack of potatoes."

Rainbow deadpanned. "Twilight, free time is when you don't have anything to do. That's what makes it free time."

"Oh, don't be silly, Dashie. There's always something that needs to be done; it's all about how willing you are to attend to it when you have the option of procrastinating," Twilight explained, gesturing toward a mound of books that just begged to be sorted and shelved.

Rainbow regarded the pile skeptically. "Right... I hate to say it like this, but, Twi? You might never understand how far some quality downtime can go if you can't learn to take a break. Call it... a healthy amount of procrastination," she stated encouragingly.

"No. Procrastination is a waste of time, and it's an obstruction of productivity. I enjoy my well-earned downtime after I've finished everything on my checklist," Twilight said with a cheerful certainty.

"I'll never understand you, Twi..." Rainbow said, giggling at her marefriend's antics.

Twilight prodded Dash's side with a hoof. "Come on, Rainbow! Finish your story... It was just getting interesting!"

"Okay, okay. So anyway, I had nothing to do, and since I was having trouble sleeping, I decided to go do some laps around Ponyville," Dash continued.


The tree she was napping in now far behind her, Rainbow circled around the outskirts of Ponyville. She relished the feeling of freedom that came with an evening flight. She would angle herself downward slightly and glide, slowly gaining speed. Then, she would pull up and use the moment she gained to swoop back up and repeat the process. An occasional flap was necessary to keep her in the air, but it was a great way to relax. She meandered over to the library, but the place seemed dark, like nopony was home. She swooped down past the balcony and away from Ponyville.

Eventually, she found herself gliding over Whitetail Wood. She actually enjoyed the scenic park more at this time of day, as fewer ponies walked the paths, leaving it uncrowded. She was about to loop back and head home when a lavender dot caught her eye. Twilight? What's she doing out here at this time of day? She should have been headed home when the sun started to set...

In a single, graceful arc, Rainbow landed softly in front of Twilight, who was slouched on a park bench. She appeared somewhat dejected, and to her right lay a small, clear box with a mesh lid. Twilight's stupor was broken when Dash came into view.

"Rainbow?" Twilight asked, somewhat rhetorically.

"Hey, Twi. Whatcha doin' all the way out here after sundown? You should have started back at least fifteen minutes ago." Rainbow stated matter-of-factly.

Twilight sighed and turned to look at the empty box sitting on the bench next to her. "I'm collecting lumens. They're a rare form of lightning bug that I'm studying. They recently showed up in Equestria for some reason. They're really hard to find, and even harder to catch." Twilight glared at the empty container in contempt.

"You mean these little guys?" Rainbow asked, gesturing to the myriad of cyan-glowing insects in the air. She held up a hoof and several of the creatures landed on it. She then looked back at the empty glass box, then at Twilight in confusion. "Um... Twilight? Are you alright?" These bugs were a lot of things; pretty, awesome, cool, but one thing they definitely weren't was "hard to catch", and it seemed like Twilight had yet to catch even one.

"Alright? Yes, of course I'm alright. Why wouldn't I be?" Twilight said, something obviously weighing her down.

Normally, Rainbow wouldn't pry, but she was beginning to get a feeling that her friend needed help, and there was no way she was going to let it slip through the cracks. "You look kinda... you don't look great, Twi. If there's something on your mind, I'm willing to listen. Whatever it is, I'm here to help."

Twilight's gaze slowly crept up to meet Rainbow's, before darting back to the ground. She let out another sigh. "It's silly."

"Twi, don't say that. I promise I'll take you seriously. Now, what is it?" Dash coaxed.

"Well... at the bottom of it, it's just... it's really just..." She continued to stare at the ground tiredly for a few seconds before stating, "I'm kinda... lonely."

Rainbow's caring demeanor quickly transformed into one of shock and concern. She had no idea. "What was that?"

"I said... I'm lonely." Twilight looked away. "Told you it was silly."

"No, it's not," Rainbow insisted compassionately. She sat down next to Twilight and wrapped a foreleg around her back.

"I mean... I know I have you five, and you're great friends, you really are. But sometimes, I just wish I had somepony to talk to; somepony that would be there for me and to hear me out. It always seems like my friends aren't there when I need it most." Twilight peeked at Rainbow through the corner of her eye.

Rainbow felt a twinge of sadness that her friend had been going through this alone, followed by a pang of guilt for not being more there to support her friend. "I... I didn't know. Twi, how are we supposed to help you if you don't tell us when you're having trouble?"

At this point, the sun was long gone and the warm orange glow of the sunset was replaced with a dim, ambient, blue glow. The spring breeze had picked up a bit and carried leaves past the two. Rainbow thought she could see moisture glistening on the rims of the lavender mare's eyelids.

"But that's just the thing," Twilight explained. "I always think I can solve my problems myself, so I don't mention them. Then, the problems get worse, but it's too late to ask for help and I end up a mess."

Rainbow stroked Twilight's back reassuringly. "Well, I think sharing this with me was the right choice, because now I can help you through this and you don't have to spend the evening alone in the dark," Rainbow said, smiling down at Twilight, who had leaned in closer. Rainbow, on the other hoof, wasn't completely sure whether it was a gesture of affection, or that she was simply cold in the night breeze. Whatever the case, Rainbow didn't mind one bit. She could definitely get used to this.

The two shared stories and laughed the night away until they had completely lost any sense of time. All they really knew was that they really needed to get going or they might not sleep that night. Rainbow and Twilight arrived at the library, and Rainbow was preparing to take off towards her cloud house just above.

"Thanks for everything, Rainbow. I mean it. I can't thank you enough for helping me through this," Twilight praised.

"No problem. You deserve it. You're kinda making yourself the loneliest pony of them all by keeping yourself cooped up in that library all day long... Just remember, you have supportive friends who are willing to help you through those rough times." Rainbow gave Twilight a genuine grin, before facing the other way. "Alright, well... Gotta go! See ya later, Twi!"

As Twilight watched her leave, she suddenly felt a strong feeling. She didn't quite know what it was, but she had to stop Rainbow. This couldn't be happening. She wanted her to stay. She couldn't leave. "Rainbow!"

Rainbow looked back just in time to see a lavender pony barreling towards her.


"...and then we sorta made out," Rainbow said sheepishly.

"'Sorta' made out?" Twilight said with a laugh.

Rainbow grinned. "Okay, we kinda fell over on the ground." The two shared in a mutual giggling fit.

"So, what it really comes down to is that dewdrop that hit you in the face when you were napping, right?"

"Yeah, that's the first thing I can think of," Rainbow said with confidence. "Now wait; that's only half the story. What about you? What made you go out to Whitetail Wood?"

Twilight raised a hoof to her chin as she spent a moment in thought. "Hmm... Oh! An old research paper I had done on lumens blew out from somewhere. I noticed how little I knew about them, so I decided to go and do some more research. I talked to Fluttershy, and she said that they seemed to be more common in Whitetail Wood this year, so I went over there and you know the rest.," she explained.

"But wait. That still doesn't explain your mood swing... You seemed awful upset when I showed up," Rainbow pointed out.

Twilight nodded. "Yeah, I stopped on that bench to rest after the walk there. While I was sitting there, quite a few young couples walked by, and it got me thinking."

"I see. Well, I'm glad you found that research paper... What do you mean it 'blew out from somewhere'?"

"Oh, well, a strong gust of wind came in through the balcony and made a mess of some nearby stacks of paper. I could have sworn I saw something zoom past the window."

Rainbow sat for a moment with her mouth hanging open. "That... that was me!" Her shock transformed into glee. "That was me! That was me!!! I flew past the balcony a little while before I went to Whitetail Wood! That means..."

Twilight matched Rainbow's earlier expression of awe. "You couldn't be suggesting..."

"If it weren't for that dewdrop..."

"...we never would have gotten together!" Twilight finished the thought in pure amazement. "That's insane!"

"Yeah, it totally is... Hey, why are you worried about what got us together, anyway?" Rainbow asked.

Twilight looked Rainbow straight on. "Well, I guess... I guess the possibility of life without you scares me, and it looks like we got together because of a total fluke. I mean, if that dewdrop hadn't fallen, none of this would have happened."

"But it did, and that's all that matters," Rainbow said as she ran a hoof through Twilight's mane.

Twilight smiled back lovingly. "I don't know how or why, but the universe decided that, despite the odds, we should be allowed to spend our lives together, and I wouldn't have it any other way," she finished before a set of wings wrapped around her body and pulled her in tight and a pair of cyan lips met her own.

THE END


Outside the library, Pinkie collapsed her telescope and frowned. "What dewdrop are they talking about? There wasn't any dew; it was late in the evening! Ohhhh, I must have splashed Rainbow in the face when I did a cannonball into the lake by the tree she was sleeping in! Yeah, that makes much more sense!" And with that, Pinkie skipped away, humming happily, content that she was the true cause of Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle's unbreakable bond.

THE REAL END

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed my first completely ship-centric fanfic! Please provide constructive criticism and feel free to correct any grammar errors you see. I'm all about grammar, so if you notice any errors, let me know right away. :twilightsheepish:

Anyway, thanks for reading, rate, comment, etc. etc. etc. and have a nice day!

Comments ( 11 )

Meh. I really don't have much to say. To be honest, there wasn't much to say about. I mean sure it's a cute story, but that;s all it is; cute. There's no real point or meaning behind everything. And even when it's cute, it's really not all that cute. Sure, we see the story of how they got together, but there was nothing really special about that. I like the cause and effect thing you were going for, but it would have been more interesting if you had used it a little bit more than you did.

In the end, the story simply didn't interest me. It just was, and there's nothing different now than there was before I read it. No emotional response or anything.

Not to mention you cut out arguably the most important part, which is them actually getting together. It just stops just as it's about to get good, and it's them looking back on a memory that we can't relate to because you didn't tell us anything about it.

It could have been longer, and with more of a point it would have been much more interesting. As it is it doesn't have any kind of conflict, it's just two ponies remembering things. While that can be done well so that it's interesting, to be interesting there has to be an unknown variable. But with this, we already know they got together, which is the only possible conflict in here.

SO... meh. It was cute, but it could have been so much more.

4315489 I understand, and I figured some people would have this reaction. The reason it's written that way is because it was intended to be a short story that simply touches on the idea. I wanted to leave the rest to the imagination or for other writers to expound upon. I didn't really intend for it to get very deep.

Also, this is my first shipfic, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the style. I've read tons and have a fairly firm grasp on what a shipfic should be. It's just that I use a sort of "flow of thought" technique for writing. I'm basically improvising, while trying to keep the story within the boundaries of the original concept.

In this case, the original concept was supposed to be more about the cause and effect thing than them actually getting together, but that's just how it ended up.

Also, I know this story contains a lot of rinse-and-repeat clichés, but it seemed fitting for a first story. You know; just to get something out there. I didn't want to jump right in and post something really stylistic and grandiose just yet.

But anyway, thanks for your comment! My future stories should be more interesting and original, and hopefully longer and more fleshed out. :pinkiehappy:

4315523
If you want my opinion, you first story should be very much you. It should be your style, how you write, your ideas. It should original, full of new ideas, ideas that are yours, and as creative as you are.

But that's just me, and it's probably a safer bet playing things this way.

And even if you wanted to leave as much as you could up to the imagination, there's such a thing as too much, and this story has crossed that line Just barely, though. It'd be so mch better fi you only added the scene where they talked it out and got together. That's one scene that shouldn't be left to us when it comes to a story about them getting together.

It's good as a little slice of life exercise.

It lacks any greater significance, but I suspect that if that was the point it would have been clear by the story being much longer and quite a bit different with some form of major adversity to overcome, so I don't see any point in criticizing it for what it doesn't set out to be.

It works well for what it is. I give it a thumbs up for that.

I personally like it as it is. It's a good small slice of life without clutter that starts the imagination flowing. If you never writing on this particular relationship again to flesh it out it would be a shame though.

I would be interested in a later revisit that fleshed out the full sequence from both (or all three) sides in real time, leading to full relationship status.

4316149 As in, like, a sequel? :fluttershbad:

I doubt I'll write a sequel. Although, I might eventually do a re-write of this story as a sort of "haha, look how much I sucked back then; here's a more appealing version" thing.

But anyway, thanks for the reviews and thumbs up! Expect more in-depth stories in the future, as that seems to be the prevailing shortcoming with this story according to you guys. :twilightsmile:

4315557 No; I understand what you're saying, and I agree. I should try to make my first few stories my flagships. I was trying to take a sort of "under the radar" approach to silently slip into the TwiDash community unnoticed, but then again, that's no way to gain recognition, now is it? :rainbowlaugh:

But yeah, this is more of a "test drive" story; that is how I learn to do things, after all. I emulate the works of others who are already good at it and crank out a boring, monotonous conglomerate of all the clichés and tropes until I can perfectly make the textbook example of what is typical for works of that style. Once I'm confident in my ability to do that, then I throw creativity into the mix and use the tools I've picked up along the way. It's a shame to think of it this way, as it makes it seem like my stories will only ever be a papier mâché made from cutouts of other stories... So, that metphor breaks down, because I'll be using real creativity! Challenge accepted, FiMFiction! :rainbowkiss:

BTW, thanks for the wake-up call, Kodeake; you're awesome. (and not just because you're the Kodeake... :applejackconfused:)

4335795
The Kodeake?

The hell does that mean? I'm.. honestly confused by that.

4335867 Is "the" your title? I don't know... :twilightsheepish:

I've read two of your stories and they were great... and you read/comment on nearly every TwiDash story to ever exist... so, I guess in my mind that means you're worthy of ego-boosting praise. Don't question it. :derpyderp2:

I find your story really interesting even if there is nothing you really get deep into. I like the

"I'm kinda... lonely."

because it can really be hard to go through this feeling. I'm kind of experience it myself so it reminds me lot of things. :pinkiesad2: However, your story follow your title and description. The cause and effect thing is sort of funny with Pinkie explaining what it was in the end.:twilightsmile: Keep going like this!


,Peace from Midnight.

I feel your loneliness, Twi. It's all good in the end, though. Just read and escape the real world.

Login or register to comment