• Published 19th Nov 2011
  • 3,880 Views, 68 Comments

Remember The Spectrum - Eclipse



Rainbow Dash's actions have endengered more than one life this time...

  • ...
8
 68
 3,880

A Humble Visit

Rainbow Dash woke up slowly, her eyes were starting to hurt less, and her body was becoming less and less sore, but she still felt a pain when she shifted her position. It wasn’t as strong as before, and felt that she was making a good recovery, but didn’t know just exactly how long the pain medication and magic would hold out. It didn’t matter though, two of her best friends had visited her yesterday, and that made all the difference in the world to the now broken Rainbow Dash. The only mare that she’d really wanted to see was Fluttershy to apologize for dragging her into the situation in the first place, but she now knew that Fluttershy was now gone and from her own actions at that, and there was no way to finally embrace one of her very best friends any longer. This revelation always would bring tears to her eyes as she tried to remember all of the time that she and Fluttershy spent together, but for the life of her, she couldn’t remember the times she’d spent with Fluttershy, given that they barely talked let alone hung out together. And now, Rainbow Dash regretted not getting to know the shy little mare better, her thoughts were haunted by the fact that she had caused all of this to happen, and took Fluttershy’s life all without knowing the mare very well.

Rainbow Dash just sighed and looked around the room, everything was as it always was, except the nurses finally removed the wilted, dried, and ultimately dead flowers from the room that were inadvertently starting to mold anyways, the balloon bouquet had been taken out, the strings that they hung from were still attached to Rainbow Dash’s bedside, and the dust from the nightstand had been wiped away. But the card lie there upon the nightstand seemingly untouched, just picked up for cleaning, and then put back down in the exact same spot in an attempt to make Rainbow Dash believe that no pony had even touched it, they all knew how much it irked Dash for them to be touching her stuff. Rainbow Dash was flattered by the gesture, knowing they had done it out of respect for her, but she would have liked if they had slipped the card back into her hooves; that card was the only thing that truly gave her comfort when no pony else was around her. But it didn’t matter, the room was cleaner, Rainbow Dash wasn’t as sore as she was yesterday, she was breathing better, and life was yet again having a positive outlook.

She smiled and chuckled remembering who had visited her last night, knowing that the mare would most likely try her best to not bring up that she broke a rule and visited Rainbow Dash in the middle of the night. She knew how much Twilight liked to obey any rules that the town had set, but this time, she finally broke a rule making Rainbow Dash smile inside, and was now starting to on the outside as well. She couldn’t help it though, she was truly happy, and it only took her to be right near dead to find out that the true key to happiness was right in front of her to begin with. And all she could do was chase a silly dream in an attempt to find happiness by joining her favorite team in all of Equestria, the Wonderbolts. But now that dream seemed silly, just something that reminded her of her old thick-headed ways when she wouldn’t listen to even her very best of friends, she neglected responsibilities, put off hanging out with others so she could ‘train to join the Wonderbolts,’ and be an all-around crude character to every pony in Ponyville. She was surprised that she even had a place in their hearts, after all that she’d done to them, they still respected her as if she was one of the highest mares around, which made her feel better inside to know that at least she’d die with a legacy that didn’t tell every pony that she was just a cocky, ignorant pegasus that neglected everything around her; no, she had a legacy built upon the good she’d done, a true homage to the power of the very friends that she’d taken for granted.

She was also happy that Pinkie Pie showed up yesterday, she had always loved and respected Pinkie for her happy nature, and ability to put a smile on every pony’s face, even on hers. But it pained her to see that Pinkie was in so much pain, Pinkie just wasn’t the same, and Rainbow Dash could understand why. She had just lost Fluttershy, one of her very best friends, the one she would always talk to whenever she was feeling down; and she was now dead, and would never be able to look upon a brand new day to see the bright sun or the luxurious light of the moon shining through the darkness, cutting the darkness with its bright and pure light. Nothing that Rainbow Dash could ever say to Pinkie would break her out of this emotional downtime, but no matter what happened, she would always remember the bright and bubbly pink mare that she had loved before everything had started to crumble around them, starting first off, with their trust in Rainbow Dash. No pony ever heard the whole story about Spike outside of Rainbow Dash’s friends, and no pony else in the entire town wanted to hear her out anyways. But now, things were different, Rainbow Dash was on the verge of death, and every pony was saddened to lose another one that humbly called Ponyville home. The story may never be told, but at least there are some ponies in Ponyville that do know the truth, and Spike’s memory would live on through the six that he had constant contact with.

Rainbow Dash sighed as she heard her door creak open, she looked up to see two orange figures standing in the doorway to her room, and as she looked closer to see, she noticed that there was another figure behind them, a small little figure, most likely another one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. One of the small figures charged up to Rainbow Dash and surprised her in a hug, yet again sending a jolt of pain up her spine, but she was happy to see the small orange filly, Scootaloo, the filly she asked Twilight to bring here just last night. But she came with Applejack instead, which didn’t bother her as long as she had some time with the little orange pegasus, just to talk about what had been going on since Rainbow Dash had first been in a coma. Scootaloo had tears in her eyes, all of them running down her face in joy to see that her idol and most favorite pegasus in all of Equestria was still alive. Rainbow Dash smiled and rubbed the little filly’s purple mane, “Hey there Scoots, guess I’ve been out longer than I’d thought, you’ve really grown since I’ve been gone. And what is that I see upon your flank what could it be? Could it be a cutie mark that I see?” Rainbow Dash said playfully as she poked at Scootaloo’s flank, making her smile and giggle back at Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah, I wish that you could’ve been there to see me get it though, I would’ve loved to see my idol there to cheer me on while I did the most awesome stunt in all of Equestria!” Scootaloo said in a gloating voice, that reminded Rainbow Dash much of herself before she had been admitted into the hospital in a coma. Scootaloo looked at Rainbow Dash and moved so that her flank was showing; her cutie mark was a pegasus pony flying around in all sorts of shapes, forms, lines, and stunt outlines. Rainbow Dash smiled, she knew that Scootaloo was a stunt flyer, and she hoped that one day Scootaloo would follow in her hoofsteps and try to make her way onto the Wonderbolts. “I’ll tell you the story later if you want me to! It’s a really awesome story; even Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle are still amazed by it! Every time I tell the story, others look up to me, so it feels kind of nice knowing that my life hasn’t exactly been a nicely paved road. No, my life’s just been a boulevard of broken dreams, every turn the only thing that stood beside me was my shadow; I walked alone in the world until I met Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. They’ve been my very best friends ever since we formed the Cutie mark Crusaders, but since we all have our cutie marks now, we have put all of that aside, and stashed our capes to give away to out foals when we finally gave some, if we have any foals that is.” Scootaloo said getting chuckle from every pony in the room, a smile spreading from cheek to cheek arose on her face knowing that she had just made her idol laugh.

“I’d love to hear the story sometime Scoots, I’m sure that it’s even more awesome than how I got mine. I got mine for pure speed, and you got yours from using brain power, will, and some stunts that no pony had ever seen before. Congratulations Scootaloo, you have even surpassed your idol, and given my current condition, if I die, you get my cloud home above Ponyville.” Rainbow Dash said, getting a gasp from Scootaloo, and even Applejack and little Apple Bloom.

“R-Really? You’d give me such a valuable place instead of selling it for money?” Scootaloo asked, getting yet another hearty laugh from Rainbow Dash.

“What good does money do me if I’m dead Scoots? It’s not like I can bury myself with all of my Equestrian possessions, I’m not greedy like that, and I’d love it to have another worthy little flyer to have the best of places to live than that accursed orphan place that you had run away from. But if I die, the house is all yours, complete with everything inside it, the clothes, the food which I really urge you not to eat, and even some of my most valuable and secret possessions, even including my junior speedster journal, notes for tricks that I’ve worked on, and even my most personal diary that touches upon my entire life in Ponyville. They’ll all be yours, I won’t need them anymore after I die, I’d like that all of the things go into good use, and capable hooves.” Rainbow Dash replied, Scootaloo tearing up at the gesture that her idol had just offered her.

“Thank you Rainbow Dash, I’ll never forget all of the nice things you’ve done for me. You’ll be passed on through my family as a mare who gave me everything that I have. You gave me the very happiness that got me up in the mornings, you gave me the very courage to follow my dreams, and best of all, you gave me a piece of your life, and are now passing on your accomplishments to be used by another generation so that you memory will never truly die, and I will see that it won’t, never in a thousand years will your actions be forgotten towards me, and I will remember you every single day of my life.” Scootaloo said, with tears forming in her eyes as she embraced Rainbow Dash in the most loving and tight of hugs she’d ever given any pony before in her life, but she couldn’t help it after such generosity was given unto her by no other than her very own idol. The one that made her life bearable, the one who extended a polished hoof in friendship to the filly, when no other pony in Ponyville would; If she hadn’t have met Rainbow Dash, she would’ve never gone to school to learn and be like her, and in turn would’ve never met Sweetie Belle who would’ve never met Apple Bloom if she hadn’t have been invited by Sweetie Belle to go to Diamond Tiara’s Cutecineta. Everything in Scootaloo’s life was tied down to Rainbow Dash herself, and they both knew that, and both loved the impact that they’ve made on each other’s lives. “Rainbow Dash, you’ve always been like a parent to me, I wish that I could’ve known you better than the parents that I never knew, the ones who abandoned me at the orphanage.” Scootaloo said with tears developing in her eyes.

Rainbow Dash smiled, “Scoots, I’d love to adopt you, all you have to do is carry on my legacy, make your kids remember their grandmother, and the mare that she was. You’ve made such an impact on my life Scootaloo, and I’d love to have you as one of my own, where you and I can spend every moment together until I finally pass away. If I somehow manage to survive this, I’ll live on as the mother that you’ve always dreamed of, I’ll give you a home, a family, and a place to come back to every day.” Rainbow Dash said, once again a large smile and joyful tears washed over the little orange filly as she just hugged Rainbow Dash tighter than ever before, symbolizing that she was happy to take her up on the offer that she’d just provided. “I’m glad that you accept, I’ve always wanted to be a parent, but Applejack over there said I’d never make a good parent, says I’m too arrogant to pay attention to my foals.” She said, Applejack rolling her eyes in response.

“Well maybe a couple months ago ya’ would’ve, but now, y’all changed, you seem like y’all had gone through a mighty rough time to make y’all change like this.” Applejack Responded, both of them sharing a nice little chuckle, as Applejack approached her cyan friend.

“Yeah well, being in a coma for quite some time really causes you to change a lot, I mean knowing that any minute now you could be dead really aids that fact also. But hay, there’s nothing stopping me right now, maybe I’ll even be able to get out of here and enjoy my life a little bit. Who knows, maybe they’ll even give me a clean bill and I recover fully and am able to live my life out. I mean, it will still break my heart every day to live in a world without lil’ ‘Shy around to make everything all nice and calm, but we all have to live on.” Rainbow Dash said grimly as Applejack nodded agreeingly.

“Yeah, we all miss Flutter a lot, but she’s in a better place if ah may use an overused cliché. But I can’t help but feel happy for her, ‘cause now she’s got it better off than all of us. No pain, no hate, just true peace and harmony which should make little Fluttershy feel just about right at home.” Applejack said with a smile on her face and more tears forming in her eyes, as her sister embraced her in a small hug to calm her nerves.

“Sis, ah told y’all not ta’ dwell on that no more, y’all gotta move passed all that and look to the future to see what the next day might bring.” Apple Bloom said, getting a nod from Applejack as she wiped her eyes with her hoof and sniffled.

“So Bloom, you found your cutie mark, I’m actually pretty curious as to know just what you have on your flank you silly little thing you.” Rainbow Dash said, getting a smile from Apple Bloom as she showed off her flank. All Rainbow Dash could make out of it was it was a small glass, about the size of a shot glass, and some bottles lying around behind it.

“I worked all sorts a’ jobs around Ponyville, but nothin’ seemed to be gettin’ me my cutie mark though, so ah went someplace else to try out. Ah ended up in the bar at the edge of town, they said that ah couldn’t be there, but ah asked if ah could try pourin’ some of the drinks and that ah was on a crusade for mah cutie mark. They agreed ta’ let me pour some of the drinks, just as long as ah didn’t take a sip from any of the glasses as ah did. But ah poured the drinks and even did little tricks that made their jaws drop to the floor. Ah didn’t even know that ah was doin’ all those tricks, ah was just havin’ a little fun with it, but apparently that made the customers happy ta’ see that kind of entertainment around there, so I kept goin’ every pony askin’ one after another for a drink until the day was over. They said they’d pay me for workin’ there that day since ah had just made them the most money they done ever saw before, but that’s when ah noticed ah got my cutie mark. So ah told them they could keep the money, and that they gave me the ultimate payment, the gift of me finally earnin’ my cutie mark.” Apple Bloom finally finished, Rainbow Dash amazed that her talent had anything to remotely do with alcohol, but was happy for her nonetheless.

“Wow Bloom, seems like you finally found something you have your heart into, just don’t turn to the bottle, I have and I’ll tell you it was the worst decision of my life. I just drank and drank, hoping that it would melt the troubles away, and they did for a while. But when I woke up the next day I finally realized, that stuff just numbs the pain, it don’t make it go away.” Rainbow Dash said, getting a nod back from Apple Bloom.

“Ah’m too young for that anyways, but ah’m still workin’ in that bar to this day. Ah get paid time and a half for the extra bit of entertainment ah throw in, and ah really need ta’ stop sayin’ entertainment ‘cause that word don’t like to agree with my accent.” Apple Bloom said chuckling as the other three joined in.

Rainbow Dash took in a breath, “You all seem to have really grown up a lot, no more yelling, and you have even found your special talents. I couldn’t ask for a better turnout in any pony’s life, and to think, all of you did this while I just sat here lazily not getting to see you guys do it too, what kind of friend am I huh?” Rainbow Dash said jokingly as she turned back to Scootaloo, “So, you going to tell me the story of how you got your cutie mark there Scoots?” Rainbow Dash asked in a kind voice, Scootaloo looking up ever so slightly from Rainbow Dash’s chest, and just stared into her eyes for a while.

“Maybe another time Rainbow Dash, when I’m officially your daughter by law, I’d rather tell the story to my mother than just to my idol you know?” Scootaloo admitted, making Rainbow Dash smile back at the little filly as she repositioned herself back into the cyan mare’s chest.

“Whatever you want Scoots, now Applejack, you must be here for a reason, or did you just drop by to watch over these two to make sure they didn’t destroy the hospital?” Rainbow Dash said with a hint of playfulness and a wink from her left eye.

“Hay!” Apple Bloom called out.

“No offense Apple Bloom, but your past suggests you basically destroy everything that you touch.”

“Ah—Ya’ know ah actually can’t argue with that, but y’all know we’ve changed now, so those thoughts should kindly exit your mind now.” Apple Bloom said sternly, as she and Scootaloo both shared a laugh over it.

“Hush now Apple Bloom, ah wanna’ talk ta’ Rainbow Dash now seriously for a while.” Applejack said as her sister stopped laughing and nodded. “Rainbow Dash, lookit yourself, you’re all bandaged up and in casts, y’all should know better than ta’ do things like that.” Applejack said as Scootaloo rolled over on Rainbow Dash’s chest and positioned herself under Dash’s left arm and snuggled up on it. “Y’all could’ve gotten yourself killed doin’ all that, y’all are lucky that your wakin’ up now. But count your blessings Rainbow Dash; because we can only go through so much before our bodies finally give up on us you know.”

“I know A.J. I knew well enough about the dangers that lurked where we were, but at the time it seemed like an awesome place for some nice high-stakes flying.” Rainbow Dash said stroking Scootaloo’s mane, “It wasn’t the safest idea in the world sure, but at the time I felt that nothing could go wrong. I felt that I was invincible, and for the longest time, I really kind of was. But reality hits you hard bro, real hard; you could be just having a normal day and something could sneak up behind you and just take you out, just like that.”

“But y’all knew better than ta’ drag poor little Fluttershy along with y’all, you know how scared she gets in those big and dark places.”

“I’m well aware Applejack, it was all entirely my fault that she was dragged along, and I was the one who finally persuaded her to come along with me and Gilda. In hindsight, it wasn’t the best idea since she’s one, a weak flyer to begin with, two, extremely shy around every pony near her, and three, she was just so innocent, and we shouldn’t have taken her along into something that could easily end her life.” Rainbow Dash admitted, as Applejack sighed.

“Ah don’t mean to sound rude, it’s just we all really loved that shy little mare, we loved her to death; which has now been taken to the literal sense as well.” Applejack said trying to fight back the tears in her eyes as Rainbow Dash put her right hoof around her friend.

“A.J. I told you if you ever need a shoulder to cry on, no matter what, you could come to me with any problem that you had.”

“I know Rainbow, but y’all know it’s hard for me ta’ get over my stubborn southern pride. Besides, I’m with you now, and that’s all that really matters ta’ me right now.” Applejack said as a smile made its way onto her face as she just allowed the mare to calmly brush her mane.

“Yeah A.J. I know how hard it is to break being stubborn, I should know; I was stubborn for the longest time you know.” Rainbow Dash said as she got a chuckle from Applejack. “Besides, I wouldn’t have it any other way, you’re here, I’m alive, the CMCs finally all got their cutie marks, I’m going to be adopting Scoots, and we’re all still friends here.” Applejack couldn’t help but shed a few tears knowing that Rainbow Dash had changed so much, and she was truly happy that the mare had finally had a change of heart. Though the circumstances that the change of heart was under made all of their hearts break, but she was finally truly happy, no matter how much despair built up inside them, they would always have each other, in life, or even in death.

Rainbow Dash heard hoofsteps approaching her door, “Alright now you guys, the nurse is about to kick you guys out, sorry girls, but you Scoots, are staying with me, and that one is final. They aren’t taking you away from me, not just when I was finally able to see you again.” Rainbow Dash said, as the door opened and a nurse made her way into the room. “Speak of the devil, alright guys, it’s been really nice talking with you guys, but you know, they always have to be killing the mood.”

The nurse pony rolled her eyes, “Visiting hours are over, every pony is asked to please leave and return when the hours resume tomorrow.” The nurse approached Scootaloo and tried to pick her up, but Rainbow Dash tightened her grip around the young filly.

“She is staying with me, and I’d like you to call that orphanage, I’m going to adopt her, and she’s not leaving my sight till I am her legal guardian.” Rainbow Dash remarked as the nurse nodded and moved away.

“Very well Ms. Dash, we’ll have them called up and they should be here sometime tomorrow. Now, sweet dreams Ms. Dash, you need all the rest that you can get.” The nurse said as Applejack and Apple Bloom left the room, both waving good-bye to Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo as they finally disappeared into the hallway once again.

“Well Scoots, it’s just you and me.” Rainbow Dash smiled as she loosened her grip slightly to see the little filly smile and close her eyes. “Good night Scoots, sweet dreams.” Rainbow Dash said as she put her head down as well, and drifted off into the most wonderful slumber she’d ever experienced in her life.
-----
Author's notes: This has actually been done for a while, only uploading it now because I'm tired of sitting on it.

Comments ( 18 )

I found the linkin park reference

82718 There was a Green Day one as well
though it's subtle amd hard to tell
:trollestia:

82727 actually, I meant green day, my brain is just derping from lack of sleep, but I'm pretty sure I did see a linkin park one in there too:derpyderp1:

82730 Ah Yes a silly one this writer is...

82898 You like this?
That's nic-- WHY?!

Man that took a while to read, i lept getting caught up in chatting in the fimfiction irc chat it took me an hour to read.....lol

82904
It has rainbow adopting scoots thats why

82909 Ah... Yes, that
:trollestia:
Took you long time to read?
PROFIT

82910

Yeah, somehow we got caught up talking about beer and being drunk.
confoundtheseponystheydrivemetodrink.jpg

82912 Aha, for drunk ponies read Conflicting Emotions :trollestia:
But I've truthfully NEVER been drunk before.
No me gusta cervezas :pinkiesick:

82922

When i was 7ish i accadently drank some hard cider and got drunk, and my faimliy said i dident act as random and seemed nicer :derpytongue2:

im viewer 100 and nice story cant wait for the rest

82934 Thanks, it's coming together... Though I haven't worked on it in FOREVER, but oh well.
Thanks for reading

very nicely done

83026 Thank you, but son of a bitch are these dialogue heavy.

Well at least Rainbow is talking like she might actually survive now, was so negative before. And I hope about 20% of her old self comes back. Just cause she was awesome like dat. :rainbowdetermined2:

270976 Given with I have no idea what the hell is going on in this story anymore.
RE
READ
EVERYTHING
AND
WRITE ALL THE THINGS!

Login or register to comment