• Published 18th Jan 2014
  • 1,465 Views, 13 Comments

A Canterlot Rebellion - Minds Eye



Rainbow Dash walks the path of a hero to free Canterlot from the changeling occupation.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,465

Epilogue: Love is in Bloom

"But Princess, what did we do to her?" Twilight Sparkle walked beside Princess Celestia through the ruined maze. The events of the previous day were still fresh in her mind. The rebuilding of Canterlot would be a long and arduous process, and would certainly demand Celestia's full attention for some time, but there were questions she just couldn't wait to have answered.

Celestia indulged her. "The Elements of Harmony dispel chaos and disorder. You saw them return my sister from her corrupted state of Nightmare Moon. That is how you came back to yourself."

"Yes, but this-"

"They also turned Discord into stone. For what is the Spirit of Chaos without chaos? If you didn't rediscover the Magic of Friendship I can only assume you and your friends would have turned to stone as well."

Twilight never considered that. "But that doesn't mean anything here! The Elements removed her horn. They changed her. Maybe forever. I...didn't know they could do that."

Celestia nodded. "They changed her and her army. I've heard several reports of the Royal Guards seeing their fellows turn to changelings before their eyes. That transformation was a type of magic. By removing their horns, the Elements removed a very powerful tool of chaos. Chrysalis and her soldiers will now have to live with themselves as they are. There is a lesson in that, I think."

A lesson..."Should I write you a letter about this, Princess?"

Celestia bowed her head with a smile. "My dear student, where would you even begin?"

Twilight giggled. That was a silly idea. She still hadn't heard the entire story from Rainbow Dash, much less Cadance, Applejack, Luna, or any of the other players. "Where is Chrysalis now?"

"I ordered her into the crystal caves. I understand that is where she sent both yourself and Princess Cadance, along with the Royal Guard after the invasion. It seemed a fitting prison."

"What will happen to the changelings?"

"They will rebuild Canterlot." The answer came quickly, and with a surprising note of finality. Twilight didn't know what to make of it. Celestia noticed her hesitation. "That offer came from the changelings themselves. I...think they are confused. Their lives revolved around a queen for so long they may not know how to function without one. I accepted their offer for now, and will decide on a long-term answer when the time comes."

Twilight shook her head. "That will be hard. Them, helping to rebuild. Every pony won't just forget what's happened."

"It doesn't matter. I will not allow my subjects' hearts to be ruled by anger and fear. If working with the changelings can fix that, then that is what I will do."

That gave Twilight hope. If any pony could make this work, it was Princess Celestia. "I guess that's everything. I think I'll go check with Rarity, see if she needs a-"

"Hold!" Twilight froze in her tracks. It was a long time since she heard Celestia use that tone. "That is not everything. I requested your presence here, remember?"

Twilight smiled sheepishly. She remembered now. "W-What can I do for you, Princess?"

"Well," Celestia sighed, picking a flower off the ground with her magic and plucking the petals. "It's about that brother of yours."

"M-My brother? What about him?" Celestia began to absentmindedly peel the petals in half. Oh, Shining Armor, what did you do?!

"He is insisting on an immediate leave of absence."

"He...what...why...where...how...WHAT?!" Twilight paced furiously. "He WHAT?! A...a leave of absence?! After all of this?! What is he thinking?!"

"'Las Pegasus,' he says. Or maybe Manehattan. Or maybe San Franciscolt. Or maybe that would be the first week."

"The first...the FIRST WEEK?! I...I don't understand. I thought I learned my studiousness from him. How could he leave like this?"

"I was hoping you could talk to him for me."

"Oh, I'll do more than talk. Don't worry, Princess, I'll get this straightened out." Twilight turned to leave.

"There's one more thing you should know," Celestia called out.

"What's that?"

"Princess Cadance will be accompanying him. They're waiting for you in the throne room."

Twilight looked back in shock. "Cadance, too?! What in Equestria are they trying to do? How could they both leave...together...?” Twilight buried her face. She fell for it. She fell for it hook, line, and sinker. All she could do now was not give Celestia the satisfaction of seeing her face. "I'll get started immediately, your highness."

---

The sound of Fluttershy's voice led Rainbow Dash right to her. She was flying around a clearing in the gardens, singing with the birds in the trees. Fluttershy noticed Rainbow's approach and waved her forward. Rainbow still walked nervously. "I...uh...won't start a stampede, will I?"

Fluttershy groaned. "Please, please, don't mention that ever again."

"Sorry," Rainbow said with a smile. "I guess the second time's the charm."

"No, these are my birds." Fluttershy landed and sat next to Rainbow Dash. "They stayed safe here with the other animals this whole time."

"That's good." Rainbow listened to them sing for a while. She had no idea how Fluttershy could tell them all apart from the other birds, but they obviously meant a lot to her. "Listen, I asked Applejack about the animals at your cottage. She said most of them cleared out by the time she and Spike got to Ponyville."

"I thought so," Fluttershy sighed. "At least they got away from the changelings."

Rainbow gave her a pat on the back with her wing. "Ah, don't worry. I'll help you find them."

Fluttershy blinked. "Really? Oh, you don't have to-"

"I want to, though. You helped me fight a war. The least I can do is help you round up some critters."

Fluttershy looked away, smiling to herself. "I'd like that. Thank you, Rainbow."

Rainbow Dash leaned back on the grass, resting her head on her hooves. "We should be home soon. There's not much else for us to do. I mean, I heard there are ponies coming in from all over Equestria to help rebuild. I'm sure they won't miss the six of us. So long as there isn't another-"

"SURPRISE!!!" Pinkie Pie jumped out of a bush and screamed in Rainbow's face. She bounced around the clearing, oblivious to the fleeing birds and Fluttershy's panic stricken paralysis. Rainbow Dash watched her move with hooves dug into the ground, ready to launch an attack. "Twilight sent me to find you two! She needs to see us all now, now, now, right now!"

---

Finally, a proper wedding, Fluttershy thought. Her bird choir had performed perfectly, even with their lack of practice. Princess Cadance walked down the aisle wearing Rarity's latest masterpiece, and took her place next to Shining Armor. Her friends flanked the pair. Now they were all just spectators.

"Mares and gentlecolts," Celestia began, "we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza-"

"'Princess Cadance' is fine."

"-the union of Princess Cadance and Shining Armor. Much has happened since I last spoke those words. As I think back, I recall the words of the Queen of Changelings, that Equestria has more love than any place she had encountered. I tell you," Celestia stopped and smiled before continuing, "nothing has made me prouder of my home.

“It is our love that gives all of us our strength. It is our love that gives us the courage to stand with each other; the courage to sacrifice for each other. It is our love that allows us to brave any challenge. Together. Such is the bond between Cadance and Shining Armor. May their union remind us all of the power of love."

The ceremony concluded with the exchange of rings and Celestia's pronouncement of the new mare and colt. Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor exited to the balcony to a thunderous ovation from below. Fluttershy watched their kiss, and looked up to the sky.

BOOM

The sight of Rainbow Dash flying across the sky filled her with pride. Princess Celestia's words of courage rang true to her. She loved Rainbow Dash. She loved all her friends, but they didn't share what she and Rainbow Dash did. She knew Rainbow Dash would be there for her when she needed it most. And she would be there for her.

Fluttershy had a promise to keep, after all.

Comments ( 5 )

3811388
You are quite right. The song is called 'This Day Aria', the second part she sings (lthe part in her true form) while still called 'This Day Aria', is the reprise.

The end was so beautiful!:applecry:
The whole story is so well written, and the plot is amazing. I just slightly regret that Dash and Fluttershy never told the CCC about the true identity of Commander Hurricane. That would have been a funny scene.:rainbowwild:
And really, feature this in as many groups as possible. Please trust me on this one. This story deserves so much more attention than it has gotten.:pinkiesad2: And a sequel. If you feel up to the task.:twilightblush:
I really hope that this is not the last time I get to read one of your fabulous works.
Yours,
Color:pinkiesmile:

4319293
:ajsmug:

I see what you did there...

8918954
Indeed. I forgot this story even existed.

Login or register to comment