• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 2,713 Views, 33 Comments

Hearth Warming Sunset - Phoenix Skyfire



Rarity has a Romantic Night with her marefriend, with a surprise at the end.

  • ...
4
 33
 2,713

Memorable Night

Within Carousel Boutique, under the warmth of a roaring fireplace, sat two unicorns laying next to each other.

"Thank you for letting me stay with you for Hearth Warming, Rarity."

"Of course, Sunset darling. With Sweetie Belle staying with my parents for the holidays, it's nice to be alone with you, just the two of us," Rarity said, scooting closer to her marefriend to share warmth.

Sunset Shimmer smiled at the white unicorn, before laying her head on her shoulder.

"I love you, Rarity. You know that right?" Sunset asked, looking at her marefriend.

"Of course I know that. I love you too," Rarity replied, kissing Sunset softly on the cheek.

The two unicorns stayed laying down next to the fireplace, enjoying each others presence, till one spoke.

"Rarity?"

"Yes, darling?"

"How about we go out for a little bit?" Sunset asked, picking her head up and looking at Rarity.

"Where were you thinking?" Rarity asked, raising her eyebrow.

"To Pinkie's Hearth Warming party," Sunset said, laying her head back down on the white unicorns shoulder.

“To be honest, Sunny. I was hoping that we could keep it just us this evening," Rarity said, looking slightly down.

Sunset picked her head up and looked at the mare.

"Sunny? When did you give me a nickname?" Sunset asked, with a confused look on her face.

Rarity looked down and said, "Not a nickname you like?"

"No, thats not it at all. I've just never heard you call me a.nickname before. Why now?”

“I’m not sure to be honest with you. I just felt the need to call you, Sunny. Would you prefer I did not?” Rarity asked, looking into Sunset’s eyes.

“You can call me anything you want, so long as I can call you whatever I want in return,” Sunset told her, cocking a smile.

“What would you like to call me?”

“I haven't decided yet. Give me some time okay? Now as for us going out, would you like to?”

Sighing Rarity said, “I don’t mind if we go out, but I would like it to stay just me and you.”

"I understand. With Sweetie Belle around so much, me and you don't get too much alone time. We only get to go out to dinner maybe once a month,” Sunset replied, thinking about the little monster.

"Not to mention, your apprenticeship with Twilight."

“While I do like the fact she decided to take me under her hoof and teach me. I wish she would let up just a little bit, so me and you would have more time together,” Sunset said, looking Rarity in the eyes.

“More time alone time with my marefriend would be great, but she warned you how hard she was going to be. At least be thankful she’s letting you have the holidays off from training.”

“I am thankful for that, because I get to spend time with the unicorn of my heart,” Sunset said, taking Rarity into a deep kiss.

Surprised by Sunset’s sudden kiss, the fashionista’s eyes popped open. After a moment she relaxed and returned the kiss, pushing back against her marefriend.

As both Sunset and Rarity pulled back from their kiss, they looked into each others eyes, smiling brightly.

“I love you, Rarity.”

“And I you , darling.”

"Let's go out to dinner. I know where we can go," Sunny said, smiling at her marefriend.

"Where would that be darling?" The white unicorn asked, tilting her head.

"That new restaurant that opened just past Sugar Cube Corner."

Rarity's eyes opened wide hearing this.

"You're talking about that Dirt Water Springs place right?" she asked, surprised.

"Yes I am. Why?”

"Sunny, that place is the most expensive restaurant in Ponyville. I don't think either one of us can afford that place. I would love to go, but its just too expensive darling."

Sunset giggled hearing Rarity complain about prices. When Rarity heard her giggling she gave her marefriend a glare.

"Im serious, Sunset. That place costs way too much money."

"For normal ponies maybe, but i'm special."

The white unicorn looked at her confused. Sunset saw the confused look and decided to explain.

"Me and Twilight helped them out a little over a month ago. They gave us both a voucher for one free dinner for two, at any price," Sunset said, giving her marefriend a wink. "I was waiting for a good time for me and you to use it, and I think now would be perfect. What do you say?"

Rarity laid there, mouth agape in shock.

'Sunset was saving this for me?' Rarity thought to herself.

"Rarity? Are you okay?" Sunset asked, worried about the one she loved.

Rarity shaked her head from the shock and look at her marefriends worried face.

"Sorry, Sunny. I spaced out for a second. Have you really been saving it for me?"

"Who else would I take on a romantic dinner? Twilight? Kinda hard even if I did like her that way seeing how she took Fluttershy there last week," Sunset answered, smiling brightly. "You're the only one for me, Rarity. Now and forever."

"Sunny, why did you fall in love with me?"

"I honestly don't know the reason, I just did. Give me some time and i'll answer though, I promise," Sunset said, pecking her marefriend on the cheek. "Now, how about we head out to dinner?"

Giving Sunset a kiss on the cheek, Rarity smiled, saying, "sure thing, Sunny. Lets just get our boots and scarves."

Moments later, the unicorn couple were walking out of Carousel Boutique for their date. Both of them having large smiles on their faces.

As they walked down the streets of Ponyville, side by side, Sunset Shimmer coiled her tail with Rarity’s smiling the entire time.

The two unicorn were standing in front of an old western style building, one in a style that would be seen in Dodge Junction. Above the door hung a sign that read 'Dirt Water Springs, the Oasis of a Desert.'

The couple walked through the doors and noticed the place was full.

Rarity leaned over and whispered to Sunset, "Sunny, I don't think we are going to get a table with so many ponies here."

"Dirt Water Springs isn't the most popular restaurant in town for nothing, Rarity. Trust me, they have enough tables," Sunset whispered back.

An older stallion, wearing a stetson, noticed the pair of mares and walked over to them.

"Can I help you two lovely mares?"

"Me and my marefriend would like a table, please," Sunset said to the stallion.

"Please follow me," the stallion replied, turning around and grabbing two menus as he walked into the back.

Sunset and Rarity follow the stallion. The earth pony stopped before a booth table and motioned for them to sit down, placing the menus on the table.

"What can I start you two off to drink tonight?"

As the two unicorns browsed the menu for drinks, Rarity noticed one drink that she had not seen in awhile.

“Excuse me sir, but how is your Sarsaparilla?” Rarity asked the waiter.

“Most of our customers comment on it. It is one of our best selling drinks.”

“Why don’t we try it, Rarity? It might be nice to try it,” Sunset commented.

“Sure, Sunny. We will have two Sarsaparillas please.”

“I’ll be back in a few moments with your drinks and to see if you made your decision,” the waiter replied writing the drink order down and walking away.

“So, Rarity. What do you think of how this place is so far?” Sunset asked, picking up her menu again to browse what food they had.

“I think this place is quite lovely. Nice atmosphere, the waiter was very kind, and the decoration is simply divine,” Rarity said, smiling as she browsed the menu.

Moments pass by as the waiter returned with the couple’s drinks.

“Here are your drinks, ma’am. Have you decided on your choice of food for this evening?” the waiter asked, placing the drinks in front of the two mares.

“I’ll have the all you can eat spaghetti and hayballs,” Sunset said, closing her menu and sliding it to the edge of the table.

“I think i’ll have the same thing as my marefriend but with alfredo instead of hayballs,” Rarity said, closing her menu and placing it on top of Sunsets.

“Of course mi’ladys. I’ll return shortly once your meals are ready for you,” the waiter said, picking up the menus and walking away to get the order set.

After a wonderful meal by candle light, the two mare’s were walking out of Dirt Water Springs, both with fully belly’s and smiling face. Both Rarity and Sunset walked side by side, their tails coiled together.

“Rarity?”

“Yes, darling?”

“You mind if we do one more thing before we head back to the boutique?” Sunset asked, looking at her marefriend.

“What did you have in mind, Sunny?”

“I want it to be a surprise if I can,” Sunset asked, blushing lightly.

At the comment, Rarity began to blush as well before replying, “Sure. Just lead the way.”

Sunset smile brightly as she and Rarity walked together. As minutes pass by, the yellow unicorn, lead her marefriend toward the Ponyville park.

“Why the park, Sunny?” the white unicorn asked.

“You’ll see, Rarity. Just wait a little longer,” Sunset replied smiling.

Rarity smiled back and leaned her head onto Sunset’s shoulder as they walked, trusting her marefriend to lead her safely to where ever they were headed. As they walked Rarity nuzzled her head into Sunset’s coat.

They continued to walk along the park trail, till Sunset turned off and onto a large hill that over overlooked Ponyville. The entire town could be seen on the top.

“We’re here Rarity,” Sunset said, stopping at the top of the hill.

Rarity opened her eyes, taking in the sight of the Ponyville as the sun began to descend.

“Would you mind if we sat here to watch the sunset, Rarity?”

“I think that would be lovely darling,” Rarity replied, uncoiling her tail from her marefriend and taking a seat at the very top of the hill.

The yellow unicorn came up beside her and same down next to her as they watched the sun fall from the sky.

“Rarity. You remember early when I told you to give me some time to think of why I fell in love with you and to think of a nickname for you?”

“Of course darling. Why do you ask?” Rarity asked, looking into Sunset’s eyes.

“I think I can answer both right now,” Sunset replied, looking back into her marefriend’s eyes.

“I would love to hear both, Sunny.”

“I think I fell in love with you, because you were always so kind, sweet, and generous to everypony you see. It made me think about everything I didn’t have in the past. For the longest time, all I can remember is anger and hatred, but when I saw you, that changed. I think I’ve loved you since the first time I saw you,” the yellow unicorn said, looking up into the sky.

Rarity sat there, looking at her marefriend, as she explained why she loved her. To Rarity, the words Sunset were saying was the most beautiful thing in the world.

“As for the nickname I’d like to call you,” Sunset continued, as she moved in front of Rarity, the sun setting behind her frame. “I’d like more then anything to call you my wife,” she finished pulling out a ruby horn ring from within her scarf.

“You want me to be your wife?”

“Yes I do, Rarity. I love you more then anything in this world. I’d give up even my apprenticeship with Twilight if I could have this chance to be with you forever,” Sunset said, looking Rarity in the eyes.

Rarity was speechless. Here she was, on Hearth Warming Eve, with her marefriend under the sun set getting proposed to. She took a moment to get her thoughts straight to make a decision. The white unicorn always dreamed of marrying her ‘Prince’. She knew deep in her heart, that her decision was already made.

“I’d love more then anything to be your wife, Sunny. I love you,” Rarity answered, moving forward to capture her ‘princess’ in a deep kiss.

As they kissed, Sunset placed the ring on Rarity’s horn, the sun setting behind her.

Author's Note:

Hello Everypony,
Phoenix Skyfire here

Happy Hearth Warming!
Sorry for the Belated Hearth Warming, had a few hiccups.

I Hope you enjoy this story, I think this couple would be wonderful myself.

Thanks goes out to Salnalus for editing this.

If anypony finds a pic that would be good Cover Art for this story, let me know ^^ thanks!

Hope you all had a great Hearth Warming! and a very happy New Year

Phoenix Skyfire,
Signing Off.

Comments ( 33 )

both a cute pairing, and a nice story. Superb job!

Interesting story and Pairing. I would have loved it more if this story actually told/showed us how and when they met, what kind of alternate universe (I'm assuming) this is (unless this is years after EG in the cannon universe), and a lot of other stuff. I think RariShimmer would be my fourth choice of Sunset shipping among the mane 6. The first three would be Sunlight, Sunshy, and Sundash. Sunjack/Appleshimmer would be fifth, and Sunpie sixth (I just can't imagine this one going romantically well).

4239915 I dont plan to leave this hanging forever. When I thought of this story it was for Hearth Warming Contest, but I plan to write more about this pairing later on that will tie into this one itself... explaining how they came together

4239922
That's good to hear. Because I want to hear about this story, in order to be more romantically invested in this pairing. Rarity and Sunset might have quite a few things in common.
Can I ask what kind of alternate universe this would be? I'm very curious, especially since I plan to do a AU/ Romantic /SoL fic of my own, but with Sunshy.

4239979 how I see this is... instead of Sunset staying behind in the "Human" world in EQG she returns alongside Twilight to try and make amends

4239989
Ah, I see, so a 'recent' alternate universe. I was planning mine to take place Waaaaay back. In that universe, Sunset was never able to go through the mirror (the first time), so she went to the Everfree Forest (somehow), and is eventually found (unconscious) by Fluttershy. What do you think?

4240049 thats actually a pretty nice Idea... I think it would work

4240058
I know.:twilightsmile::yay::rainbowkiss::pinkiehappy::heart:

I think there's a sorta Beauty and the Beast (or rather Beauty and the Bitch if you prefer:trollestia:) feeling to it.
Gilda better watch out, or she might become KFG.:rainbowdetermined2::pinkiecrazy:
Same goes for Angel Bunny.

4240085 I never did like gilda..... Maybe we should go get KFG

4240091
I shall then keep that in mind when I get to that part of the story.:pinkiecrazy::ajsmug::duck::moustache::trollestia:

4240097 lol make sure you let me know when you post that story... would be interesting read to see Sunset Shy

4240107
Don't worry, I will.:raritywink: Might get started on it tonight, if I'm lucky.
There's definitely romantic potential between those two. Even when I first saw them together in EG, I was like, "if Sunset wasn't such a power-hungry bully/alpha bitch, she could be pressing Flutters against those lockers for a different reason...Awww Yeah!"

4240175 lol I never though about that pairing till you said something tbh.... I kinda though of my SunsArity cause Rarity likes "Canterlot" ponies and Sunset is from Canterlot lol


4240187
True. Plus in EG, Rarity was the one who went up against Sunset during the Spring Fling. They both seem to have a sense of fashion/hairstyle (though different tastes).

I plan to make a blog talking about my head cannon on what zodiac sign-combinations [East and West, etc] the mane 6, plus Sunset (and maybe Spike and possibly Maud in the future) might be. Based on personalities, appearances, body language, interaction between other characters, etc.
Then I might do a separate blog for conflicts and compatibility between each of them (might be good for those doing shipping).

4240273 I dont remember that about it

4240300
The Spring Fling? It's briefly mentioned three times throughout the movie. But it's so easy to forget it.

1st-
Sunset Shimmer: "I want you to follow her. Bring me something good to use against her, just like I did with the last girl who thought she could out do me."

2nd-
Fluttershy:(blah blah blah blah) "Just ask the girl who went up against her during the Spring Fling last year."

3rd-
Twilight: "You will watch over her right?"

Rarity: "Oh of course we will. Although I do expect an apology for what she did at the Spring Fling."

4240382 ok I remember those lines... but its really only Implied that she was the one against her at the Spring Fling... you know Rarity and Cloths... If Sunset ruined one of the dresses she made she would be mad... Maybe she made the dress for the girl who went against Sunset and then she ruined it.... (just a Thought)

4241330
Well whatever, they never went into any real detail about it anyway.
So the title of my Sunshy fic will be called Hearts Flutter at Sunset. I'm just trying to decide if I should rate it Teen or Mature (what do you think?), and come up with a synopsis.

4241378 it depends if your going to go into clop or not. I myself would think it would be best as just a simple romance no clop

4242751
Okay. Maybe start as a romance, and maybe in the sequel (if I do a sequel) there will be clop?

4244767 that might work best... while I do enjoy an Occasional Clop story (I wont Lie) I think having it in a True Romance story too early in the story and in some cases at all in the story it gets to be not as good. I'm unsure how you feel though about that.

4244783
Probably the same here.
If I do plan to put clop in this story, it would obviously be much much later on, and make it not too detailed (or like I said before, wait for the sequel).
I don't mind clop, but it has to have a really good story to begin with first.
Well anyway. Now I just need to figure out how long ago prior to Season 1 this would be taking place (since later chapters will involve parts from Season 1). Oh, and do you have any ideas what would happen to Sunset if she got Poison Joke? I have one already (but...it involves Futa Shimmer).

4244906 enlarged horn to where its hard to move around?

4247751
Hmmmm....That might work.:duck::ajsmug::pinkiehappy:

4249815 was just thinking.... Poison Joke makes fun of your Talent..... and Sunset and Twilight are simular... both very strong with magic... so she would get a Simular effect that Twilight Had

4250067
Makes sense. Yet...I just can't get rid of the thought of Futa Shimmer and Flutterguy waking up together (at this point Sunset will pretty much be living with Flutters), and seeing their reactions to both changes....:rainbowlaugh:
Discord: "Priceless!"

4250106 I would say if u do that.. Watch till the sequel and have it go into a clop

4252715
Mhmmm....than I guess the sequel will take place during Season 1 after all. And this story will just focus on before Season 1 (but how far back, I still haven't figured out yet...any suggestion?).

4252937 honestly... I would say have shy find her during season 1

4253918
Hmmm....:duck:
But then, that would leave a time gap (how long that would be is still up for debate) between Sunset's exile from Canterlot, and being found by Fluttershy. Which would leave me with having to fill it in with a backstory or something.
The reason I want this to take place around pre-season 1 is because:

1. I want this to not have the Mane 6 be all together (by the Elements of Harmony), and/or having a strong friendship among each member (sans Twi, which is reason 2).

2. Having Twilight still living in Canterlot (possibly as Celestia's protege at this point), will allow Sunset to (eventually) adjust to life in Ponyville, and develop friendships (and her relationship with Flutters) on her own. Without anypony connected to her past in anyway (at least for a few months). Especially somepony (aside from Celestia herself) that she may have bitter feelings for. This would also parallel (to an extent) with the canon Sunset Shimmer living in the EG human world.

3. The sooner Sunset is found and looked after by Fluttershy (after her exile), the stronger the chances are for her to (again, eventually) let go of any plans/ needs for vengeance and/or attempts to takeover Equestria.

Also, do you think we should continue this discussion through PM? I'm only asking, because it might seem weird to others if they are reading all of this on the comments to your fanfic.:rainbowderp:

4254344 if you have a Skype I can PM you my skype and then we wont have a Time Delay

Login or register to comment