• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 15,574 Views, 743 Comments

Daughter of Darkness - Tatsurou



Scootaloo introduces her parents to Ponyville. Hilarity ensues.

  • ...
23
 743
 15,574

Doing the Mommy Thing

Scootaloo lay back in her bed, curled up and tucked in, wondering when sleep would claim her. Normally she wouldn't be so eager for sleep, but tonight her Mom had tucked her in and was reading her a bedtime story...and it was so boring.

"...and as Filly Red Trotting Hood stepped into the house, she heard a voice calling, 'Come in, child', and she was concerned, because it was not quite what she remembered her grandmother sounding like."

Scootaloo suppressed a sigh and pasted a smile on her face. She could handle this, it was for her Mom. Luna had seemed really excited at the idea of tucking her in and reading her a bedtime story...and Scootaloo hadn't the heart to point out she was almost 12 and had outgrown the need for such things years ago. Besides, her Dad was also in the room, and occasionally making silly comments that made the story more amusing, even if they did earn him glares from Luna.

"And Filly Red said, 'Grandmother, what thick fetlocks you have," Luna read aloud.

"Bet that's not all that's thick!" Alucard joked, grinning impudently at Luna's glare.

"'The better to groom you with, my dear-"

"Groom. Right."

After yet another glare, Luna continued. "Grandmother, what a wet nose you have," she read.

"Wow, this filly is stupid!" Alucard joked.

Luna ground her teeth. "Grandmother, what big ears you have!"

"And you know what they say about big ears!"

Luna started to glare at Alucard, then paused. "Do they really?" she asked, curious.

Alucard shrugged. "Pointy ears, actually, but the wolf's got those, too."

Luna rolled her eyes. "'Grandmother, what big teeth you have!' And the wolf replied, 'The better to eat you with my dear!' And-"

"And then they f-"

"Alucard!" Luna snapped, slamming the book shut. "I'm trying to read Scootaloo a bedtime story and you're ruining it with your commentary!"

"Please, Luna, that story is way too childish for a preteen like Scoot! She's bored out of her wits! I'm just trying to liven things up."

Luna looked towards Scootaloo. "Art thou truly...bored?"

Scootaloo tried to smile. "No, no...the story is...riveting..." She knew she couldn't get any sincerity into that.

Luna frowned, setting the book down. "Excuse me a moment," she said, turning to leave the room.

Alucard looked after her, then turned to Scootaloo. "Stay here," he said, turning to follow Luna.

Scootaloo blinked. "What did I do?" she wondered, worried.

Alucard found Luna in the bathroom, standing over the sink. "Whazzup?" he asked her.

"Not now, Alucard," she said, turned resolutely away from him.

He frowned. "Aww...come on..." He tried to look her in the eye, but she kept turning away. "Don't make me do the face! You know you can't resist it!" He started to arrange his facial features into a feline smile as he raised his hand like a paw.

"Alucard, please!"

He froze at that. When he next spoke, his voice was completely serious, all trace of humor gone. "Luna, look at me."

Luna turned to face him, seeing his face completely serious...as he saw the unshed tears in her eyes. Instantly, he pulled her into a warm, comforting embrace. "What's wrong?" he asked simply.

Unable to stop herself, Luna broke down and wept. "I...I missed so much!" she sobbed. "Nursing her, her first words, her first steps...she's my only daughter, but it feels like I can only call myself her mother in name!" She buried her face into Alucard's chest. "I don't know her favorite color, her favorite toy, her favorite subject in school...I don't know if she has a crush...I didn't even get to weigh in on choosing her name! And now I can't even read her a bedtime story properly!" She sobbed broken heartedly. "I'm a terrible mother..."

Alucard held her close, quietly shushing her as he stroked her back. "Don't cry, Luna. We can fix all this. I can't do much for what you missed, or helping you to be there for events that have passed...but I can show you those events as they happened, and we can help you learn about her anew. And maybe this was just the wrong story for her, given her age-"

"But it's my favorite," she whimpered. "I was so looking forward to reading it to her, and bonding with her over it..."

Alucard thought for a time, then snapped his fingers. "Then we just tweak it a little!"

She raised an eyebrow. "Like you were?"

"No! No no no no." He grinned widely. "We just change a few details to make it more accessible for Scootaloo while keeping the moral and theme the same, and the happy ending." He chuckled. "Also to make it more believable. Seriously, the only way the talking wolf works is if it's Filly Fluttershy Fainting Hood, and even then she knew the difference between a pony and a wolf dressed up as one."

Luna frowned. She hated that she had to admit he was right. Even saying it was a magic talking wolf didn't really work. "So what do we do then?"

Alucard grinned widely. "I'm going to work my magic, temporarily change the words in the book. You just read what you see. Trust me, the kid'll love it!"

Luna frowned suspiciously, but nodded. "Alright." She turned and headed back to Scootaloo's bedroom, smiling.

Scootaloo looked up at her with a wide smile. "Read me story, Mommy?" she pleaded, making her voice sound younger.

Luna blinked. "Scootaloo...why are you..." She wasn't sure how to say it.

Scootaloo gestured to her bat-like ears.

Luna blushed. "Oh." She walked forward. "Well, let's give this story another try, shall we?" She opened the book. "Little Red Riding Hood was-" She paused. "Little? Riding?" she asked Alucard in confusion.

"Keep reading."

Nodding, she continued. "Little Red Riding Hood was heading for the forest, eagerly pushing herself along on her scooter-"

Scootaloo gasped, suddenly becoming quite riveted. Her eyes glanced towards her own scooter.

Following her gaze, Luna smiled, now understanding Alucard's plan. "She knew the dangers of the forest, and wasn't about to take the wrong path. However, as she entered..."

In her mind's eye, Scootaloo saw the story take form.


As Little Red reached a fork in the path, a stranger stallion was there, leaning against a tree. "Where are you going, little one?" he asked kindly.

Little Red smiled. "I'm going to visit my grandmother down that way!" she said, pointing down the regular path.

The stallion chuckled. "And I thought I'd heard Little Red was adventurous."

"Hey!" Little Red snapped. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Only that I'd thought an adventurous filly would prefer that path," he said, gesturing down the other fork. "With all the hills and pits and perfect natural ramps for jumps and flips, I'd have though you'd love taking your scooter down that path. But if you're too chicken..."

"I'll show you who's chicken!" Little Red snapped, racing down the alternate path.

Once she was out of earshot, the stallion chuckled. "Too easy," he whispered, as his body shifted, claws sprouting from his hooves as his muzzle lengthened and his fur grew-


"He's an eqwolf?" Scootaloo gasped in shocked pleasure.

Luna grinned widely at seeing her enjoyment of the story. "Indeed. But there's more." She returned to the book.


The eqwolf ran through the woods, gathering his small pack. They were all young males, rambunctious, and not a stable pack yet. They needed to add a female to stabilize the pack, but none wanted an old, established mare who would make all sorts of rules and dominate them. They wanted a young filly they could train and warp to their ideal. And Filly Red was just on the verge of feminine ripeness, made to order for their desires. All that was left was to lay the trap.

When they reached the grandmother's cottage, they moved in quickly. The elderly mare didn't even have the chance to scream before they tore her apart and devoured her.


Luna and Scootaloo's eyes were both wide as Luna read that part. "But..." Luna begins. "But...isn't the grandmother supposed to be saved, too?" she asked, a little frightened.

Scootaloo, however, found herself with a different question. "How are they going to clean up all the blood?"

Luna blinked as she saw Alucard grin widely at that question. "I guess we'll keep reading and find out."


By the time Little Red had reached the cottage, the trap was set. A member of the pack was hidden in every cupboard, closet, and room surrounding the bedroom, and the pack alpha who had mislead her was in the bed, dressed in the grandmother's clothes and once more a pony in appearance, having made himself up to look like the grandma. "Come in child," he called as there was a knock on the door.

Little Red slowly approached the bed, setting down her basket and putting her scooter aside. "Grandma?" She paused, noticing something was off. "Grandma, what a thick coat you have."

The eqwolf in the bed cursed his eagerness that caused him to start to change. "The better to keep warm with, my dear. It is coming on winter." He did thank his quick thinking.

Little Red slowly approached the bed. "Grandma, what sharp hooves you have."

Noticing the slowly developing claws, the wolf replied, "The better to grip things with."

"Grandma, what big ears you have," Little Red wondered, starting to get suspicious.

"The better to hear you with, my dear." The wolf's ears twitched, signaling the pack to be ready to pounce.

Little Red reached the bed and stared at her 'grandma's jaw. "Grandma...what sharp teeth you have..."

The wolf grinned as the change completed. "The better to turn you with, my dear," he snarled, leaping from the bed.

Little Red screamed as the pack surrounded her. The alpha from the bed caught her, pinning her to the bed. Without thinking, she kicked out with both hind hooves, striking him at the fork of his hind legs, making him crumple with a whimper. However, she knew she was outnumbered, and feared for her life. "Help!" she screamed. "Daddy, help!"

As the wolves surrounded her, the wall of the cottage exploded inward. In strode her father, Big Red, already armed with his two guns as he looked over the now frozen wolves surrounding his daughter. With a wide grin, he leveled his weapons and spake his battle cry-


Luna stared at the book. "This can't be right. I can tell this is supposed to be you, Alucard, and you've never said anything like that in your life! Is that really the battle cry?"

Alucard grinned. "Yes. As Big Red, my battle cry is...:Long. Lasting. Freshness."

Luna and Scootaloo both blinked at him. "I don't get it," they both said together.

Alucard sighed. "Just roll with it."


-before pulling the triggers. With easy confidence he put a bullet right between the eyes of each and every eqwolf, the explosive silver killing them and blasting their heads open in the process. Before long, only the alpha remained. He reverted to stallion form to beg. "Please...have mercy!"

Big Red stepped between the stallion and his daughter. "Mine," he growled, swinging his flat hand. His magic surrounded it, slicing cleanly through the stallion's neck like a blade, and sending the head flying.


"Decapitation!" Scootaloo yelled happily, waving her hooves.

"Now don't you start," Luna groaned as Alucard laughed.


As Big Red held Little Red comfortingly, she looked up at him. "Where's Grandma?" she asked.

Smiling, Big Red happily cut open the bellies of each of the wolves, retrieving the pieces of the mare. Reassembling them, he reanimated the flesh golem the grandmother had always been-


"Wait, what?" Luna demanded in confusion.

Alucard grinned. "You said yourself that's obviously supposed to be me and Scoot in the story, and neither of us have a mother alive, so how else am I supposed to give her a grandma to visit?"

As Luna stared in perplexity, Scootaloo queried, "How come you haven't?"

"Yet," Alucard corrected.

"Couldn't you just ask somepony to act as her grandmother?" Luna demanded.

Alucard thought for a bit. "Only if I can make it fun!"

As Luna groaned, Scootaloo yawned. "G-great story," she said through the yawn.

Luna smiled. "And now it's time for little fillies to sleep," she said, leaning in to kiss Scootaloo on the forehead.

She was surprised as Scootaloo threw her forelegs and wings around her neck and pulled her into a tight hug. "I love you, Mom," she said quietly. "I don't care that you weren't there when I was younger, it wasn't your fault. And I wouldn't trade you for anyone. You're the best Mom I could have."

Tearing up again, Luna pulled Scootaloo close. "I love you, too, my sweet Night Angel."

Scootaloo smiled. "You know...maybe when I grow up and start my second life as an immortal...Night Angel would be a good name..." She slowly drifted off to sleep.

Luna couldn't help but beam.

Alucard smiled at her. "See? What'd I tell you."

Luna smiled at him. "You were right. How can I ever thank you?"

Alucard grinned maniacally. "I'll get the cat-o-nine-tails!" He raced out.

Chuckling, Luna soundproofed Scootaloo's room with a powerful spell. "Oh, you will get it!" she called as she chased after him.

Scootaloo smiled widely as she drifted off to sleep.


The next morning, Zecora was awakened from a sound sleep by a loud pounding on her door. "Still the din, I'll let you in!" she called, grumbling in her native tongue as she walked to the door. She then pulled it open.

The surprise of finding Alucard at her door was nothing compared to the surprise of his words. "Will you be my mommy?" he asked sweetly.

Zecora blinked several times. "...yes?" she finally managed to voice.

Alucard turned. "She said yes, Scoot!" he called. "You've got a grandma now!"

As Scootaloo raced up and hugged Zecora's leg, the zebra shaman stared from the vampire to the filly. "Will somebody tell me true...what have I gotten myself into?"