• Published 9th Dec 2013
  • 2,759 Views, 94 Comments

The World Keeps Turning - Dasponi



A continuation of my own personal universe. I'll be posting any other stories I can think of here, rather than make a new story for them all.

  • ...
5
 94
 2,759

Hearth's Warming Epilogue

“Dad! Come on!” Grey Feather heard a voice call. It was a voice he'd not heard in a few months. It was a voice he'd spent a lot of that time thinking about, as well as her mother. A small part of him thought that maybe she might be visiting him for some reason. She had even said “dad”. Would she actually call him dad again?

It had only been a few months but his loneliness was already eating away at him. He'd been crying himself to sleep for a while. He didn't even realise how much he needed the drink to keep out the guilt and pain. He'd begun to realise how wrong he was about things. He couldn't get how much Rainbow Dash and Star Shine (not that he really knew their names) had defended Scootaloo out of his mind. There must have been some reason for that. They definitely cared for her more than he ever had. The reason that he had never cared for her was that she couldn't fly. He had been so adamant that a Pegasus should be able to fly that he had never seen past that and saw what else there was about her. Maybe there was more to her than met the eye. Her mother had certainly cared for her. Then again, she was a Unicorn. She just didn't get it. No, that wasn't right either. Dawn Star was perfect. She could do no wrong. If she thought that Scootaloo was something special then maybe she really was. Dawn Star was probably just biased because she was Scootaloo's mother. If that was the case then it sure made him a pretty lousy dad. A dad is supposed to care for and love their children no matter what might be wrong with them.

“NO!” Grey Feather thought defiantly, shaking his head. It was the job of children to not be such a disappointment to their parents. To not be failures. That's all Scootaloo was as long as she couldn't fly. All she would ever amount to without that ability. It was like a Unicorn that couldn't do magic. That was just unheard of. To him at least. What a Unicorn parent do to a foal that couldn't do magic? They'd probably put it down. They were just as proud, if not more so, than the Pegasi. Putting themselves so high above the rest of society. Most Pegasi would probably have acted the same way that he did and treated Scootaloo the same way that he had.

Then again, there it was, the way that Star Shine and Rainbow Dash had defended her so vehemently. Star Shine had even torn out his, Gray Feather's, wing to protect her. Grey Feather looked back at his broken wing and sighed. The doctors had offered to fix it for him but he didn't take them up on their offer. At least now he had something in common with Scootaloo. Neither of them could fly. How cruel fate could be sometimes. Sometimes he'd laugh at how things had gone. He had abandoned Scootaloo because she couldn't fly and now he couldn't fly anyway.

“Jeez dad, what took you so long?” Grey Feather heard. It was that same voice again. Hers. That's when something hit him. Another reason that he had opted to not have his wing fixed was that he was in the tower. They'd never let a Pegasus who could fly in the tower. It'd be far too easy to escape. He was so high up only a Pegasus could get here from the outside and the voice sounded way too close to be coming from the ground. He barely ever heard anything from the ground. He practically leapt at the window and looked outside. There, hovering not far outside his window, was Scootaloo. She was wearing such a pretty little dress too. This had to be a trick. Maybe it was a Pegasus that looked a lot like her, and sounded a lot like her too. There was no way that she could be flying when he couldn't.

“Scootaloo, would you stop going up? It's tiring and we're going to be late. We're supposed to fly to the theatre, not above it.” Star Shine panted, finally catching up to Scootaloo. Rather than fly straight to the theatre from the train station, Scootaloo had indeed chosen a very elevated flight pattern.

“Sorry dad...” Scootaloo said, shifting in the air. “I just can't resist it. It's just been so long.” she added. She had just been so eager to fly that she kept going up. She'd rather fly around for a few hours than watch a play she'd seen before. Star Shine wanted to go to the theatre more than Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. She was mostly doing it for him. Star Shine ruffled Scootaloo's mane, taking care to not knock the tiara off of her head. He quickly realised his mistake. Scootaloo had taken a bit of time before leaving to fix her hair up and now it was a mess.

“Don't tell Rarity I did that? Please?” Star Shine pleaded as he took in the mess he'd made. Scootaloo couldn't see it but she assumed it was bad. A wicked smile crossed her face.

“Oh no, I can't do that. If I do, then she'll tell me off. I ain't getting into trouble for you dad.” Scootaloo laughed and took off in the direction of Rainbow Dash, who was ahead of both of them and waiting. Rather impatiently at that. It was Rainbow Dash after all. “Hurry up, mom's waiting!” Scootaloo called back.

“If you do I'll let you call me dad!” Star Shine called out, chasing after Scootaloo.

“I do it anyway dad!” Scootaloo called back, laughing harder. Grey Feather watched them leave and went back to lying down on his bed and staring at the ceiling. It had become one of his favourite past times. There wasn't much to do when you're imprisoned. Scootaloo had a new dad. One who loved her more than he ever did. Probably more than he ever could. She had a new mother too. Had she forgotten all about Dawn Star? All that he and her had done for her? He was almost beginning to feel sorry for Scootaloo and what he had done to her. Now his anger was coming back. She had completely abandoned and forgotten her former family. Then there was the other thing. That she was flying. That had been no trick and it was definitely Scootaloo that he had seen. A small part of him was proud of her for having flown. The rest of him was struggling to accept it and comprehend reality. He was stuck flightless while she was flying around Canterlot. The tables sure had turned on him.

He wanted to fly again just to spite her but every time he thought about flying again his head was filled with the memory of plummeting thanks to Shining Armor. Was that how Scootaloo had felt all those times he'd dropped her? Had she gained a fear of flight much like the one he had now? There was no point to flying again anyway. He knew he would probably rot and die in the prison. There was nowhere to fly to or from. His cell was barely big enough for him to hover a little and when he did hover, they'd move him down to the dungeon and take away his precious sky. He had lost a lot of things but he still had that sweet sky outside his window. That was almost enough to help him keep what remained of his sanity.

Almost.

Over the course of his incarceration Grey Feather would go insane. He was prone to violent outbursts and would go from crying to laughing manically at the drop of a hat. He would at least go on to live far longer than anyone predicted he would. He had several psychiatrists but never really told them anything and they never really helped him. Eventually they stopped caring and the help never came again. Until about fifteen years later he was visited by a young psychologist who was practically fresh out of university. Grey Feather was actually her first case and she had chosen him specifically. She knew she had no chance of helping him, she just wanted to talk to him a little. The name had piqued her interest. Grey Feather had managed to become quite infamous. This particular psychiatrist knew him before all of that. She had known him back when he wasn't in prison.

“Excuse me, Mr Grey Feather?” Diamond Tiara asked from the door to his cell. Grey Feather was laid on his bed and didn't move. He just grunted to acknowledge that he had heard her. He was getting very old and wasn't leaving his bed much anymore. Diamond Tiara would probably be his last ever visitor. “I'm coming in, is that okay?” she asked. Another grunt from Grey Feather. Diamond Tiara motioned to the guard who opened the door for her to go in. She went inside and sat down by his bed. Grey Feather still barely moved. Even his eyes were closed. “I don't know if you remember me sir, but I met you when I was just a little filly. I came to see you to ask you about Scootaloo.” Diamond Tiara said, hoping to jog his memory somewhat. Grey Feather's eyes snapped open at the mention of Scootaloo's name and he looked at Diamond Tiara maniacally. His eyes were bloodshot and his pupils were barely there. It was unnerving to say the least.

“Scootaloo? You know my Scootaloo?” Grey Feather asked, completely ignoring the rest of what Diamond Tiara had said. He had no interested in who she was and couldn't remember her. It didn't matter to him. Nopony had told him anything about Scootaloo and she'd never visited. As time passed, he began to really hope that she might. Just so he could say sorry. He felt he could die happy if he had her forgiveness. Diamond Tiara shook her head.

“I've not seen her since I moved out of Ponyville. I sent her a letter once, apologising for what I did, but I never heard anything back from her. It's a shame because she's really overcome everything and gone on to do what she has.” Diamond Tiara replied. If it wasn't for Scootaloo, she had had no idea where she would be right now. She had grown up happy and healthy in a loving environment; something she'd never had in Ponyville and may never have had.

“What she's done? What did she do?” Grey Feather asked, coughing. He was getting too excited and his body was starting to give out on him. Diamond Tiara shook her head again.

“I'm afraid I can't tell you. They won't let me. They never told you anything about Scootaloo because they wanted to protect her from you.” Diamond Tiara explained.

“Oh.” Grey Feather replied quietly, closing his eyes again. He wasn't interested anymore.

“There is one thing I can tell you though. That's why I'm here.” Diamond Tiara said. She leaned in to whisper into Grey Feather's ear. What she was about to tell him came under the things that he wasn't supposed to know. “She's told the story of how she learned to fly a lot. She had some kind of disease that stopped her from flying. That's why you could never get her to fly. She overcame it thanks to you too. It was after you attacked Rainbow Dash, when Scootaloo jumped after her. She wanted to save Rainbow Dash so badly that she flew. You're the reason she can fly. I just thought you should know that before...well, you know.” Diamond Tiara explained in a hushed tone. Grey Feather's eyes went wide and he started to cry again.

“See...See Dawn Star, I did do something for her. I did. I got her to fly. It was because of me that she could fly. You forgive me don't you? You'll be waiting for me won't you? I'm so sorry for what I did to our little girl. What I did to you. You forgive me, don't you? Please tell me you forgive me? I'm...I'm coming. Be there. Please.” Grey Feather raved between sobs and coughs. He looked at Diamond Tiara one more time. He didn't see her anymore though. All he saw was the accusing stare of his dead wife. “You...you love me, don't you? Please tell me you love me Dawn Star.” he begged. One of the things he had slowly come to terms with in his years alone was how Dawn Star would have reacted to the way he treated Scootaloo and what he did to her. He wanted her forgiveness more than anything. Diamond Tiara was unnerved and very uncomfortable. She recognised what was happening, and did what she knew had to be done.

“Of...of course I love you Grey Feather. Now come on, I'm waiting for you.” Diamond Tiara said as sincerely as she could. The least she could do is let the colt die happy. She kissed him on the forehead and stroked his mane until he slowly breathed his last and passed on.

It didn't take very long.

Author's Note:

Well this is it; the epilogue to the Hearth's Warming story. I really went out with a bang huh? Sorry that this chapter is a little bit late. I've had quite the hectic day so far and I'm looking forward to just chilling out for the rest of the day now. For now I'm going to go away from writing ponifics and concentrate on my second novel. To be honest you might have noticed a bit of a drop in quality of the story. If you haven't, then thank you :twilightsmile: I've been anxious to get back to that book and felt that you guys deserved an explanation. I really went for it again with this chapter though.

This is something I considered making an epilogue to my last story but felt it deserved more than that. Plus it was going to be long. I'd have had to include the previous chapters too.

I'm going to be putting the story on hiatus for now and I'll be back when I can. I'm expecting it to be in time for Hearts and Hooves Day with a story focusing on the relationship between Star Shine and Rainbow Dash.

As far as the Hearth's Warming that the Scootafamily had...I don't really want to commit to writing that. This story is really starting to wear on me mentally and I need to take a break from it. By this story I mean this entire thing. It's been a huge part of my life and a huge focus for over seven months now. It'll be weird to not be writing anything in this universe.

I know I won't be able to stay away though. I'll be back my friends.

Comments ( 63 )

weird chapter...:scootangel:

That ending. Diamond at least seemed to turn into a more humble and caring pony. I approve.

I hope there is a follow up with DT and Scoots

So, Grey Feather got the punishment he deserves. He got to see Scootaloo fly while he no longer could. She has a happy, loving family while he rotted in jail. He became completely consumed by guilt and practically lost his mind. He was lucky Diamond Tiara came along so he could finally pass on. I believe it was his guilt that was keeping him alive.
Speaking of Diamond, I'm so glad to see her again. That she was able to heal and prosper. I don't ever expect Scootaloo to forgive her, but at least she is trying to make up for it by trying to help others.
Good Luck with your novel, Dasponi, Until the next arc, take care!:pinkiehappy:

You disappoint me sir I was hopeing for something a bit oh how do I say it darker? That might be the one oh well in all honesty I didn't want him to have a happy ending in any form true I didn't like DT but I could live with hers but his i don't think he diserved something so good... Any ways nicely done sorry heh havn't really made that picture yet /)(•*3*•)(\

3635993
I can pull one of those out occasionally :twilightsmile:

3636258
Yay for approval!

3636317
Nah I don't think they'll ever meet again. I said in the Diamond Tiara epilogue that they didn't meet again I think.

3636363
Thank you very much. You've always been able to see things how I have which has definitely helped your enjoyment of the story :twilightsmile: It's also helped me enjoy it. You've been absolutely invaluable and I hope to see you again next time :duck:

3637140
He lived a lonely and unloved life and died in the throes of insanity, alone without even realising it. He died a pathetic shadow of his former self. I think it's pretty dark. I was planning on him dying alone but I guess I couldn't go through with it in the end.

3640566 if they dont and Scootaloo does not forgive then that ia not a very happy ending...

should get scoots a coltfriend too so they can do double dates with RD and DS. just an innocent type of relationship though like how kids have boyfriends and girlfriends but don't know what it means. I say Rumbloo for the win. enjoy your break. we all look forward to your return. il probably be on deployment by the time you start writing again but look forward to seeing your work. You deserve a break though

3641153
I could always retcon it further down the line. Or have Scootaloo send a letter later in DT's personal timeline. I think she'd come to forgive her in time.

3642344
There are feels everywhere :pinkiecrazy:

3645725
I look forward to seeing you come back from deployment. I'll have to write something for you to see when you get back :rainbowdetermined2: I could give Scootaloo someone but I don't think they'd want to double date.

Star Shine would want to follow them around though to make sure no shenanigans happen. Thereby causing many many shenanigans :rainbowkiss:

3645902 exactly. it would be funny to see dash and shine be over protective and see scoots try to fight it and learn what its realy like having parents be parents in every why.

3640566
He wasn't alone DT was there to comfort him and he had some small victory in makeing scootaloo fly that's more then he deserved

3645938
I've written a scene like that for a story before, I could probably do a ponified version :scootangel:

3646615
I can see your point there, I can't say I really have a comeback for that.

3648857
Don't worry I still wubs you. /)(*3*)(\

Why do all the best things end?
Examples: this story. A different story. Life....

/\
|
That got dark very quickly.

3648868
Yayyy for wubs and for me finally coming and seeing if comments had been left.


3704164
Hehe well if I get ideas then I'll happily keep writing it :twilightsmile: I'm not sure if I can do anything about the impermanence of life though I'm afraid.

Ha HA!

You used my suggestion! HUZZAH! Now I can say I've done something on this site!

Also... poor Grey. He deserved it, obviously, but still...

3754770
I'm afraid I can't recall what suggestion you're referring to, but I'm a whore so I probably took every idea to this as pandrin as possible :rainbowlaugh:

3767029

My suggestion to have DT help Grey, back in "True flight". I was one of the few who offered a solution other than "KILL THE MOTHAFUCKA!"

And you used it! Feel free to not mention me :P

3767528
Hehe if I openly admitted to using storylines suggested by other people I don't know how well that would go down anyway :raritywink: I actually used a few ideas on what to do, and made them my own. Original credit always belongs to me. ME. :flutterrage::pinkiecrazy: Though, seriously, thanks for helping me get out of a tough bind. I've said it before and I'll say it again; these stories would be very little without the fans :twilightsmile:

Despite what Grey had done to Scoots I feel bad for him, I mean yeah he was a jerks and he had no right to do that to Scoots, but still it's just sad, anywho enough of me ranting on about that THIS STORY WAS SO AWESOME!! all of them are I was disappointed to see that it was on hiatus but I'm sure the wait will be worth it this story is amazing! ! Keep up the totally fabulous work!!

4194356
Whenever I make a villain, I always try to justify them. I try to give them some depth and make people feel a little sorry for them. He was an evil douchebag yes, but damn he was also pretty insane. I hope I do write something new for this series down the line. I was going to write a Valentine's story but didn't :duck:

4217175 yes I would love to more of this series I'd read it in a heartbeat

4217183
I'll see what I can do. I do have some ideas at least. That's always a good start :twilightsmile:

4239405 :scootangel: Scoots for the win!! I love many stories that are based around her... not really much of a critic then... anyhow... As I had said earlier I said I would do my best to finish these today... Well let's just say today went pretty shitty, sorry about the language but I really feel that's how it went... :rainbowderp: But I've been told I'm a good psychiatrist so I can't keep myself down when I could be helping others... :rainbowlaugh: I find that I am wearing myself out more than I should... :ajsleepy: And listen to me rambling on about irrelevant things. :facehoof: Anyhow I'm hoping this will continue and you really done a fantabulous job throughout it all!! :rainbowkiss: The whole 'series,' if that's what you'll call it... was great so far! There were a few errors, such as grammar or the tense of a word... I'm not even good in my English classes but yet I happen to give advice, :facehoof: that I happened to notice throughout the stories... just to state that... but nothing too bad to figure out! :twilightblush: Now I feel as if I'm just rambling on... I gave you a mustache earlier, but I really think you deserve yet another. :moustache:

4297603
I self edit and proof read, so I'm bound to make a few mistakes. Typically when something got pointed out I'd fix it right away and there shouldn't be anything MAJOR wrong as far as grammar and wording goes. If there is then do feel free to point it out. I'm sorry to hear your day didn't go so well. Feel free to talk to me about it if you want. I'm a good listener :scootangel:

4301210 :ajsleepy: Sadly, I'm not really a talkative person about my problems... It's just a job of an empath, if that's how it's spelled... can't really remember... I would love to talk to people about it but it just seems like I'd be spreading despair and sadness. That's not what I'm about... I used to have someone I'd nag to, to release my anger, but she turned out to tell others so it seems I can't trust anyone around me... :pinkiesad2: Anyway. Enough about me! :twilightsheepish: Still seems highly irrelevant I guess... I can always proof read for you if you want. I tend to read a lot and, sometimes, neglect my responsibilities. So I can always help if you want! :pinkiehappy:

4301762
Heh thanks. I have plenty of trust problems myself. I'm pretty empathic too. If you ever do need someone to talk to then give me a go. I won't tell anyone anything and I can get how people feel. Which is also how I can get you not wanting to talk :derpytongue2: The offer is there though.

4305487 I'll keep the offer in mind. I agree it's nice to always have someone to turn to, but I just don't think I can necessarily trust anyone for a while at least... Like I said, I'm not one for spreading despair or anything... So I don't think I would end up explaining anything anyhow... But for now, it's in the past. So let's just keep on going! :pinkiehappy: That, and I feel as if my endless replying may be hindering to your work... But I have no whims to do so...

4306275
If I was working I wouldn't be replying :raritywink: If I wasn't working then I would be, and I'd be replying almost instantly, and then I'd quickly run out of things to say.

4306958 I guess that's pretty obvious is it not? Well I can normally keep a conversation going. If not, oh well, eventually there'll be more to talk about. :twilightsmile:

4307125
I'm terrible at actual conversation about actual things. The reason so many people have left my life is because all we could talk about was what was troubling them. In a way I'm a little glad that they were able to live without depending on me and moved on :twilightsmile:

4307334 There you go! You should always look at the bright side of things. :pinkiehappy:

4307438
I'm very good at that. I'm yet to find a situation that I can't spin into a positive. Except death. I'm no good with death. No amount of comforting helps there.

4307952 Yeah... normally emotional jokes or something are actually needed. Not through here I mean. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone means what they're trying to get at through these comments...

4308018
Well if it helps I'm British so about 90% of what I say is sarcasm or a joke :pinkiesmile:

4317244 Well if it help any on my end also. I'm American, but I'm not one of the majority that is a complete... well... dick. I'm one of the few that're actually really kind. I may make a few comments here and there that are unjustly, but none of them should be taken on offense. :twilightsheepish:

4320625
I've met some very nice Americans in my time. I have to say I've not personally met any "'MURRICA NUMBER ONE! USA USA USA USA USA USA WE'RE GONNA FREEDOM THE SHIT OUT OF YOU USA! USA! USA!" types. But I have seen them and know they exist. There are asshats in every country. Britain has more than it's fair share of xenophobic idiots.

4321893 Aw yes, but I meant more of a complete... dick on any website, or something... I'm nice to everyone over the web, the only problem being is that I do have anger issues that get aroused by my classmates... They tend to be loud, obnoxious, and annoying overall. But I normally keep my mouth shut. Even if I clamp it shut forcing it to ache and complain... Enough about me though, as a job of an empath I shouldn't be worrying about myself. How's life been treating you so far for? :rainbowkiss:

4326191
I used to think like you, and thought that my own feelings were unimportant, but then I came to see how wrong that way of thinking was. You need to be in good condition yourself in order to help other people. Schoolkids are asshats. The majority of them anyway. Present company excluded :raritywink: Just don't let them get a rise out of you and you'll get on fine.

Life is treating me with a very mixed bag right now. I'm in a bit of a transition period and hoping to make some changes for the better, and changes that will work out well for me. Sorry about leaving the reply for so long by the way. I have a mind that things just slip out of very easily. :facehoof:

4409615 Truth be told. My feelings pretty much are unimportant. I do what needs done. I don't really need to worry about myself because there are others who have greater problems than my petty issues. My life does suck, but it's better than most others. :pinkiesmile: I hate my life, but I can live with it. :rainbowhuh: I'm fine with the way my life is at the moment, depressing as it may be... :pinkiesad2: But I'll just keep on trekking and keep on going because I'm strong-willed and courageous. :rainbowdetermined2:

Anyway. It sucks that your life is... Well... Being a bag of bricks at the moment... But just know there are people who are looking forward to your stories and everything. :twilightsmile: Be happy! :pinkiehappy:

4412515
Really I did used to live like that. Your problems are still important because you yourself are important. People having worse problems than you doesn't demean your problems at all. There are plenty of people who have things worse than me, and it doesn't really make my problems any less significant. They matter to people who care about you, because those people care about your problems. No one should be depressed.

Amazing ending and lots of deep thinking about grey feather's insanity

5234957
If there's one thing I know it's how to write crazy people :rainbowlaugh: Seriously though I'm actually pretty good at it.

On hiatus?!? Jeez. Nah just messing. I'm gonna prepare to read through your little 'series,' if that's what I can call it, because I feel every universe should be explored and revisited again after awhile. :pinkiehappy: Remind yourself that there's more than what you deal with everyday. I hope hiatus doesn't last long, :applecry: I've been looking forward to continue. (Yeah, I kinda just noticed now but I read a lot so I have to find even more amazing stories.) Might wanna be prepared for more comments coming from me. :twilightsheepish:

Hope your hearts and hooves day story is going well for the next update. Hope to read more soon.

holy crap I just marathoned through this whole series starting from the beginning, I absolutely love scootadash stories

5574578
Well I'm just now going through the comments on all my stories. I don't get on FF as much as I used to and their notification system cleans itself every so often. Sometimes I forget to check. Like now. So hello there! I'm glad you like the stories and I would enjoy being able to write more of them. Right now I'm focusing on my novels but do hope to make a return to the world of FimFiction. I also need ideas of course, or there's no point in writing :twilightsheepish: I can only think of one major story left to be told in this little universe I've created. Hopefully it won't be have been too long if I do go and make it.


5579603
I'm not sure I ended up writing that story. Kind of a shame when I think about it.


5582867
Well I hope you enjoyed them. You quite likely did, if you went and read them all like that. I've actually done that myself for these stories. I love them both as their writer and as a reader enjoying them.

5582867 nice I have read the first story of the series and I still remember it to this day even though I read it over 2-3 years ago.
I just went thought and did the entire second story in 2 days and then did this one in just about 5-10 minutes?
and I can't say that I didn't skip some parts at the beginning of the second story
however I was actually reading the second story during while it was being updated daily.

Login or register to comment